Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I need to get back into discworld. I got soured on Moving Pictures by the Flintstonish shoehorning going on with the Holywood stuff. Really, imps painting on the film? Guh.

I'm reading them in whatever order they're listed backwards in, in the front. So I guess Reaper Man is next up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Keshik posted:

While on the subject of older characters, does anyone remember if Djelibeybi has been mentioned even in passing in any of his books since Pyramids?

Not by name, but it was mentioned in Reaper Man as a country where they put dead people in pyramids with their stuff.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ConfusedUs posted:

I still hate Rincewind

Am I the only person who actually likes Rincewind? He's hilarious.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Unless Albany, NY was up and moved to the UK when I wasn't looking last night

This demands some fiddling with google earth and photoshop, and a spiffy "that'll teach you to keep an interest in local affairs" comment but honestly I'm too busy reading Witches Abroad.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Probably the most annoying thing about Pratchett's work is that his characters seem to love that most grating (to me anyway) of grammatical errors "should of", "would of", etc. But since it sounds the same, shouldn't he spell "should've" properly?

:sigh: Just had to get that off my chest, thanks for reading, etc.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Eunabomber posted:

Other news, the movie adaptation of CoM & LF(being filmed together) Vetinari has been cast and is supposedly "perfect".

Is that this? Says it's for tv, but I suppose you could still call it a movie.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Eunabomber posted:

Yeah, made for TV movie like Hogfather.

I wasn't aware of *any* movies. Is this a british thing?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

withak posted:

The one with the tooth fairy is the most assassin-y probably, but it's pretty DEATH-y too.

Well, that is a pretty logical progression.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Finished Men at Arms this morning. Finally something without witches. Three out of the last four I've read were Witch books. I'm reading them in the order they're in on the list in one of the first pages, taking into account that list is backwards, although somehow I read Small Gods before Moving Pictures. I'm really looking forward to Soul Music, being that's one of my other interests besides reading.

Anyway, a question: Didn't Gaspode die at the end of Moving Pictures? I know the answer is probably that the series isn't really in any sort of chronological order, but it just bothered me a little.

Carrot seems to have changed quite a bit while we weren't looking too, he went from Woody on Cheers to...to something else.

LooseChanj fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 14, 2007

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Fishbulbz posted:

Spoilers please, I haven't read Moving Pictures. :(

Oops, sorry. Trust me though, you're not missing much. It's the only discworld novel I didn't enjoy much.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Copernic posted:

Unusually weak book, mostly because the main characters are not all that compelling.

What ruined it for me was the rather clumsy way some of the tech was shoehorned in. I mean, c'mon, if you go so far as to invent *film*, why the hell do you need imps painting on it? That's just straight out of the Flintstones. Why not go the full 9 years and just make it photography?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I just started Soul Music, and I absolutely loved the Blues Brothers reference.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Buml0r posted:

so I'm reading them in the order they came out.

That's what I'm doing, and I think it's a better idea than "Watch books, then Witch books" etc, because I get tired of the sub-archs pretty easily and it's nice to split them up between each other and that's pretty much how the chronological order works out.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just started Interesting Times. Rincewind! :woop: :woop:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just finished Interesting Times. As fun a discworld novel as I've read in a long time.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Buml0r posted:

Did anyone see Cranford last night, the new costumey periodey adaptation on the BBC?

There's a woman in it who can only be described as Granny Weatherwax. Have a look next week if you haven't already.

I can only imagine Granny W. as the Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies. Admittedly, it's more the attitude, and Granny W. is supposed to be semi-attractive, but that's how I see her.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I just started reading Maskerade this morning, and it's the funniest one since, oh somewhere around the first bunch. I wasn't really thrilled with the last couple of witch books, so it's a really pleasent surprise.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just finished Maskerade, and it got me wondering. Why do they call her Granny Weatherwax if she's never had any children? At one point in the book she even corrects someone who calls her "mrs", and insists on "miss".

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Canuckistan posted:

Welp, Terry Pratchet has a "rare form of early onset Alzheimer's".

http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

This sucks hard.

No big deal, they'll have it cured before it causes him too much trouble, right? RIGHT??? This is the century of the fruitbat, isn't it?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I'm reading the discworld novels in order, but not all in a row. I mean, I'll read other stuff inbetween. I just started Hogfather, which I find to be a pretty amusing coincidence, since I didn't really plan it. Much.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just finished Jingo. It's funny how the runup to pretty much any war looks almost exactly the same, and absolutely insane to those who aren't Hawks or the Mob. I know I was definitely thinking "Iraq" quite a bit, not to mention Iran. The point is really the same, sell it to the people by whipping them into a frenzy about how depraved and inhuman your enemy is.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Lars Blitzer posted:

What? Who would be Rincewind, though?

I've always imagine Judge Reinhold in the role.

Just finished The Last Continent, and it seems like he's got the wizards down to a nice neat formula. Bicker, fumble, and stumble around until the book ends, all without getting what ought to be coming to them. They're basically Clouseaus by this point. He really seems to have amped up Rincewind's cowardice, the guy didn't really seem like UltraPussy until Interesting Times. He used to just be afraid of Death, now he's afraid of anything that could possibly lead to it, like say, getting up in the morning. :wtf:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

precision posted:

It's strange, I really could never pin down an age for Rincewind. When I read the first two books, I did think of him as really old. Plus, aside from Ponder Stibbons, every wizard in the series is described as being around 50-70. In the later books, there are times that Rincewind acts somewhat younger, however, so I gradually began to think of him as 30-ish.

I've had almost the opposite progression. In the first few novels, I imagined him really young, like Ponder almost. But The Last Continent seems to indicate he's at least middle aged. I suppose you could say there's enough time between The Color of Magic and TLC that he could have aged from "adult" to "mid-life".

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

precision posted:

Oddly enough, I found it at a K-Mart, of all places, in 1987 or so, and picked it up on a complete whim.

This is almost exactly my story with the Hitch-hiker's Guide, only it was '81'ish and a Kroger. For some reason my youth addled brain thought it would be like sniglets, you know, an actual sort of parody of a travel guide. When I realized it was actually a novel, I had a :psylon: moment. Ah, to be young and stupid. I remember my dad taking me to dinner with some friends of his from work (who happened to be from England), and mentioning this hilarious book I'd just read and having them whip out the radio show.

It's fun to look back on it and realize it's one of the few things in my life I've really been in on from the ground floor. I still have the british version of Life, The Universe, and Everything. :sigh:

Anyway, to get this thread back on topic, I avoided the discworld books for the longest time because I was uncertain of what order I should read them in and there were so many of them. I finally just picked one up and looked at the list in the front and started with TCOM. For some reason I got Small Gods out of order.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
God knows I've had about enough of the witches, although Anges/Perdita has breathed some new life into them. I suppose it all comes down to taste.

I've just finished Carpe Jugulum, and I really really hate Pratchett's vampires, in the same way Granny does. They're just pretentious assholes. Add in the whole mindcontrol thing and they're the first real threat I've actually worried about in the series. Terry did a really good job at making them seem unassailable.

Which brings me to the question I hope someone can answer, cuz I really don't feel like re-reading it just after I finished it. How the hell did the vamps get driven out of Lancre? It just seemed like one moment the Count is telling the mob to sod off, and the next they're fleeing for their unlives back to Uberwald.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I think I've put my finger on what I really like about discworld, and it's Ankh-Morpork. Doesn't really matter which arc a book's in, if the main setting is A-M I'm happy.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Adversary posted:

His quotes in the article are actually hilarious. Which makes it all the more tragic that such an awesome guy got such a lovely disease

Terry Pratchett posted:

personally I'd eat the arse out of a dead mole if it offered a fighting chance

That's the spirit!

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Keshik posted:

That was a loving travesty, and I thought he could not have done a worse job. Five seconds prior to seeing that performance, I'd have said he was perfect for the role in every respect. Five seconds after it started, I wanted to know why the gently caress he was slurring with a lisp so bad that I couldn't understand a single word he said.

I didn't think he was all that bad, but I've always sort of imagined Bill Nighy in that role. But Rincewind...well, let's just say I always imagine him as something like The Dude in the Big Lebowski so the guy in this was just awful.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I think Eastwood could play older Sam Vimes, but I don't know who'd play him in the younger stories.

Who would play Moist?

Bill Pullman as Vimes all around. I haven't met Moist yet, but The Truth is in my to-read pile. I'm eager to get to it, I haven't seen a new arc in bloody ages.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Moist isn't in The Truth, the main character in that is William de Worde.

Durrr. :suicide: It's still a new character and I'm excited to get to it!

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Keshik posted:

A real question is who could play Captain Carrot?

It sure as hell isn't Viggo Mortinson.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just finished the Truth, and I really hope I haven't seen the last of the A-M Times. It was just such a fun ride, and I loved de Worde's interactions with Vimes.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I haven't been able to find The Last Hero in the few brick & mortars around here, is it not with the regular novels? I know the Tiffany Aching stuff is over in the teen section.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Dead Alice posted:

I got mine from the comic book store when noone else had it; they might be worth a look.

Not at this point, I ordered it off B&N this morning. :keke:

I did discover a nifty little thingy where you can check local stores' inventories for stuff, so that was pretty cool.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I finished The Last Hero last night, and it was fun even though the story was a little light. But half the fun were the illustrations, so it wasn't any big deal. I love all the Kite stuff, since I'm a big space fan anyways.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
If anyone's going to replace the Patrician, it's gonna be Vimes. :colbert:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Entropic posted:

He'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming. :colbert:

Which is exactly why he's the perfect man for the job. :clint:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

shadok posted:

Vimes and Vetinari are about the same age - if anything Vimes is a little older. Hardly protege material.

I think where Vetinari is concerned, *everyone* is protoge material. But my main logic here is that Vimes would be so reluctant a politician he'd actually be pretty good at it. Sort of the inverse of Douglas Adams "anyone who wants power shouldn't be allowed to have it". Plus he's the kind of bastard who won't be able to retire and will end up working till the day he dies.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

magimix posted:

If Vimes were Patrician, can you imagine the continual poo poo-storms there would be between him and, for example, the free press? :)

Yes, and they're only a further confirmation that he's the right man for the job, at least in terms of us readers. :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

magimix posted:

But as you know, my edit was written as if we were two members of, say, the Assassin's guild, discussing the future governance of the city, over Port and Cigars :cheers: :clint:

Yes, what works when you're on the inside is so rarely what amuses those on the outside.