Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
:( this makes me really, really sad. Where do you live? Could you get some cat shampoo and at least give her a bath with some gloves on to help with the fleas? Can you get her wet food so it doesn't hurt for her to eat so much? Can you pick up some cheap dental treatment stuff that goes into her water to try and help with her teeth problem?

I know I can't fund every stray cat with health problems that ventures into PI, but I can spare 10 bucks to help pay for flea meds so she can at least be pet again.

Edit: Honestly, I dunno why this makes me so sad but I feel really upset.

Farewell Horizon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

yawnie posted:

I have so much extra flea stuff for my cats. I would be MORE than happy to mail you some.

I just called my vet to see how much they sold it for but they won't give it to me for a stray cat, otherwise I would send some. Please mail her some. The saddest part for me is that she doesn't get pet anymore.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lurgulary posted:

I did give her a bath once, before she came down with the infestation, and it actually went OK (she wailed like I was killing her, but never got violent, and forgave me pretty quickly afterwards). Would the fleas jump ship as soon as they got water on them? I really, really don't want an infestation in my apartment, and if I tried to bathe her outside I think she would just run away.

I never heard of that dental treatment stuff. Would they know what I was talking about if I asked for something like that at Petsmart, or do I need to get it from a vet?

I haven't yet. I'm new to the area, so I don't really know how to tell which organizations are good around here, and I figured because of her health that it was a lost cause. :( But I'll start looking around.

If you have a large rubber maid container, put a towel in the bottom of it so she can grip something, fill it with warm water and cat shampoo and gently ease her in. You can do it outside if you need to, and in fact I might recommend that. Scrub into the furr so you get down to the skin, but don't use a flea shampoo because they can be bad news. If you can get a cat shampoo with oatmeal or aloe it might help soothe the bites.

I saw the dental additive at a pet food store. You could check petsmart, but if its not there, check at more of a specialty shop. It should be in the hygiene section, along with ear wipes and shampoo. The store I went to had several types and sizes, so you could try a small bottle first to see if it helps. Also won't hurt to tell your sob story to the people at the counter and see if they will offer a discount.

As for shelters, someone here might be able to recommend a good shelter, and if not I would call around. Fleas and dental problems are relatively easy to deal with, so if those are her only major problems, the shelter can treat them easily and still try and adopt her out. PM me your paypal.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
http://www.allivet.com/C-E-T-Aquadent-p/26907.htm

Even though Yawnie is mailing you flea meds, I will paypal you 10 bucks to pay for some dental tooth paste or water additive or whatever. If a checkup doesn't cost much maybe it could contribute to a check up or deworming meds or something.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lurgulary posted:

Thank you so, so much. My BF has an account already, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head and he's not answering his phone :( I guess I'll just start my own.

It's ok, you can give it to me later tonight or tomorrow or something, I check the forums everyday at work so I can still paypal you tomorrow.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lurgulary posted:

I can't believe I missed this before. Thank you for the advice. I'll go buy a big container tonight and try giving her a bath tomorrow after it warms up.

The big blue ones with high walls are cheap at wal-mart. She'll probly have eggs on her so if you get the chance bathe her regularly.

I was going to buy more silver wire to make more jewelry with, but I think I might look into sending you a care package. It might be too expensive to ship, but if it isn't, I will pick up some stuff and put it in the mail ASAP. I dunno why but I was thinking about her all the way home and I'm really torn up about it. I'm such a loser.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

AsecretK posted:

Another suggestion is to get kitten food or even kitten milk suppliment. It may help put some weight on her. You can also try some of the meat baby foods mixed with warm water to get her to eat more.

This is a good idea! If there is time I will pick up some KMR and throw it in the package. You just mix it with warm water and it would probably help her quite a bit! She could just lap it up! Brilliant!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Well I'm thinking she should have a vet visit anyways. It's possible that beyond the teeth and fleas she is perfectly healthy and would be perfectly adoptable. Moraine is sending money for deworming meds and I am sending some dental stuff, and with yawnies flea meds, she has a good start.

My cat has a degenerative tooth disease, and if Henrietta has the same, she will need teeth pulled and antibiotics, and eventually a cleaning. If the tooth pulling and antibiotics and a checkup could be managed between PI's donations and the OP's funds, and she has no other major illnesses, I think it should be made a priority so she can eat and fatten up until a home can be found for her.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Moraine Sedai posted:

Personally, I would consider my money still well spent even if the worst should come of this. It is the attempt to better this stray's life that is important to me, at least.

This, basically. Find out if its worth it (or even possible) to put more money into her and then go from there, one thing at a time.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lurgulary posted:

Mouth shot

Nice shot!

Looks like she'll at least need some teeth pulled and some antibiotics. The antibiotics are cheap, though. Like I said, one of the cats has terrible teeth. Once they were cleaned and the bad ones pulled, he started eating much more. Dentist said he'd had a minor infection for ages. Once everything cleared up, his personality intensified and hes clearly happier.

The pet store was out of KMR so I bought some kitty nutrient paste stuff. It's got alot of calories and vitamins, and she should be able to lick it up.

I was hoping for KMR though, thinking you could mix it up and then add it to wet food instead of hot water to make cat food soup. Oh well. I missed the post office today, I forgot I had an appointment so I wasn't able to get there. It will go out tomorrow for absolute certain. I will make it a priority.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Also their gums tend to toughen up over time once their teeth are removed, so she may still be able to eat kibble in the end.

Remembered to bring the box of stuff to work, so I'll hit up Subway and the post office at lunch.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

cannonballs posted:

Have you thought about getting a flea collar? I don't think they're too much money. Hell, I'll even send some out to you, if you'd like! I'm not sure how effective they'd be with an outdoor kitty, but those fleas are probably so miserable for poor Henrietta. I used to pick the fleas out of my cats fur when I was younger. I hate those damned things.

:/ flea collars are bad news. Hartz in particular. The chemicals they use often cause quite bad irritation and hair loss, and cats tend to paw and chew at the colors and consume the toxins. Hartz uses the same formula in their cat collar as their dogs, and one of the chemicals in it is toxic to cats and can have fatal results. It's much better to stick to the liquid that gets applied between the shoulders, which is much more effective at removing fleas anyways. I think alot of flea collars also don't have break away mechanisms.

It's a good suggestion, but in her weak condition I think its best not to risk a flea collar.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
The stuff I sent should arrive today or tomorrow, unless it got stuck at the border.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Moraine Sedai posted:

This is totally inaccurate. I've only had ONE stray/feral rescue that didn't understand the litterbox and ALL of them ended up loving and cuddly. Sounds like you've had a bad experience with a hobocat. :-/ But don't paint them all with the same brush for that. :( Hobocats need love, too.

I think they were joking and meant people hobos.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Did you get my package?!? Give her the solid gold, its so effing good! er. so I hear...

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Updates?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Oh good, I was starting to worry!

Try and get her into the vet ASAP about her mouth. It looks kinda...ick.

As for the bump. I don't suppose the food dishes you're using are plastic, are they? Plastic dishes tend to give cats acne on their chins.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lurgulary posted:

After I posted the images I noticed that her nose is running, too. :(

Her food dish is ceramic. I hope it's nothing serious :(

Oh no :( I bet that's what it is. I'm on it.

:/ you should get her in in the next day or two max, if possible. Ceramic wouldn't cause acne, so the next most likely thing is an abcess. Let me know if the vet wisit is going to cost more than goon donations have covered, I can throw another 10 or 15 at you. If that thing pops, she is not going to be happy.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Will you be ok to make the appointment on the 19th financially? Like I said, I can pitch in another 10 or so if it will help.

2 weeks isn't the end of the world. Keep feeding her and fattening her up.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I love cats in boxes. My kitten sits in any box he can find, and will remain there for hours.

Glad to hear she's still doing well.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

daggerdragon posted:

People just plain suck. I think, after hearing your Portugual horror stories, I'll stay in America, kthx.

Man I live in Canada and so many people are the same way about cats and dogs. Our shelter is absolutely brimming with strays.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lurgulary posted:

two hundred and fifty dollars.

I hope thats enough.

I require a video of grey ears. Is she getting fatter?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Wow that was a great deal on those teeth! Sympathetic vets are great.

I hope they gave you antibiotics? Poor pickle's mouth probly hurts. Did they take blood for the felv test?

I wanna hug her :(

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Papaya posted:

and what a cheap dental! good lord it's a lot more at my practice.

I am assuming good samaritan discount. Even my vet, who is a family friend and gives us a discount, isn't that cheap. I'm betting he had her pay for supplies, but didn't make her pay for his time. That is dirt rear end cheap.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Sweet jesus, reading that made me panic. I am so glad she's ok. Poor thing was probably freaked as gently caress when she woke up with her mouth all hurty.

lurgulary posted:

This is an insanely cute picture. How is she handling being inside?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lurgulary posted:

Yeah, she's much rounder now! I'll try to work something out with the grey ears. Also, I think the package you sent got stuck at UPS or something, I got one failed delivery attempt notice like two weeks ago and haven't heard anything since. :( Do you have a tracking number for it?

gently caress! I'll see if I have the tracking number tomorrow. Sucks if it gets lost, there was some good food in there.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

twice posted:

Check the law in CA. The renter laws are pretty renter friendly, so maybe the Landlord can't.

Renter friendly yes, but it still says no pets in the lease, and unless they re-write lurgulary's lease, keeping Henrietta means breaking the lease. At that point its up to the landlord, because its violation of a contract. It's not like he'd be kicking her out for fun, or because he didn't like her, or something.

I know everyone wants lurgulary to keep Hnerietta, and of course I do too, but you can't expect the landlord to be swayed, and you can't expect lurgulary to risk being evicted, especially as a student. Pending the Felv test, Henrietta has a good home waiting for her, where I am sure lurgulary could visit. I think that's all we can ask.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Mid terms.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
..I make a kissy noise.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
hahahaha, son of a bitch, the package I sent was finally returned today. Suck.

Edit: Turns out it was stuck at the border and they left a form in it saying I wasn't allowed to ship beef products to the states and it may result in criminal charges. The product was "intercepted and destroyed" and the remainder was sent back to me. What the christ.

Farewell Horizon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 16, 2007

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I figured out what it was that the border police "intercepted and destroyed"!!

It was the Zukes chicken Hip Action ones. There is no beef in them. Unless I also sent some wellness beef and they just stole the Zukes. Zukes are also made in the states. With US meats. What the christ? :bravo: :cop:

Thats al I can figure is missing from the package.

EDIT: I would resend the package to Mysstwalker but I no longer have a job and sending a package that heavy to the states is expensive. If I get a job in the next few weeks I will still send it.

Farewell Horizon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

1up posted:

In a few days she's going to the vet for a check-up, her first round of shots, and a microchip.

YAY! oh, and a baby calico, you are going to have your hands full. Good luck to you, and I'm so glad you took her in.

I love my pets.