Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolek
May 1, 2003

Another Oswalt and Posehn show? Cool, hopefully its as good as the 02 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

It's down for me again :(

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

The Duke posted:

It's down for me again :(

Still works for me.

The site has a max download of 5 shows at a time...so the site will reload once you finish downloading.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
I remember when I was working overnights in 2003, Loveline got me through a lot of nights. Specifically, I remember one episode where Drew wasn't there (I think. He might have, but I seem to remember that he was gone), and a gay caller kept getting the "You're gay" drops from Anderson. I swear to god he must have gone through ten variations on it. Like 3 different "You're gay," a couple of different "He's gay" and a "They're gay" were all thrown in.

I also remember another caller that kept dropping the word "STEPFATHER" in every few seconds. Adam and Drew ripped her a new one, and it was the last soundbite at the end of the show as well.

Good, good times.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
Here are the episodes that I've "5-starred" in iTunes. Usually they get a rating solely because Adam was particularly funny that night:

Loveline-20011011 Save Ferris
Loveline-20050313-Goldfinger-Talkin-Mexican
Loveline-20050913
Loveline-20040823 Too Late For Breakfast
Loveline-20040923-Rich Eisen (Jax GOF)
Loveline-20041005 Bonnie Sommerville (New Dear Dear Friend)
Loveline-20041130 Dude Translator & Judging Dudes

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

caffeinefree posted:

I forget the guy's name, but the lead singer from Smash Mouth was a great guest. He talked pretty openly about pretty personal issues (death of his child, tucking his penis between his legs and dancing around the house - very personal). Anderson tore into him by dropping in "And I saw her face now I'm a believer!" song that he covered. Pretty much any episode where Anderson tears into a guest is good comedy.
The Smash Mouth episode was great. The absolute best part was the caller with the obviously fake British accent the singer's wife. The way they segued between funny and calls of bogus to real heartfelt stuff made for amazing radio.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Psimitry posted:

I remember when I was working overnights in 2003, Loveline got me through a lot of nights. Specifically, I remember one episode where Drew wasn't there (I think. He might have, but I seem to remember that he was gone), and a gay caller kept getting the "You're gay" drops from Anderson. I swear to god he must have gone through ten variations on it. Like 3 different "You're gay," a couple of different "He's gay" and a "They're gay" were all thrown in.

I also remember another caller that kept dropping the word "STEPFATHER" in every few seconds. Adam and Drew ripped her a new one, and it was the last soundbite at the end of the show as well.

Good, good times.

I love the Drew drop that sounds like "yergay!" said really quickly. Cracks me up every time.

Also 2002 is up! Includes these good episodes and 1 classic:

Snoop Dogg
Tommy Chong
Ben Stein
Henry Rollins
Tom Arnold & The holocaust call

The Duke fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 31, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I just heard 2002-04-24 on the stream and I love when that girl calls in and talks about "you can do anything if you put your mind to it" and asks Adam where he gets off telling a 17 year old girl to stop having kids cause she has 2 kids herself and is supporting them full time while having a full time job and going to school full time.

Drew just tears into her and basically calls her a liar.

"Who takes care of your kids while you're at work?"
"My aunt does"
"Well you're not parenting full time"
"How many hours do you go to school?"
"3 hours"
"That's not full time either."

It's amazing. They go into this whole thing about who her kids call "mom".

Edit: I guess we hosed up the bandwidth on the archive site again :(

Moses
Nov 19, 2003

You sound like you're in a cult...
Adam's junior college fixation is hilarious.

Do they put the callers on mute when they are trashing them, because they never seem to react to the criticism...?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Moses posted:

Adam's junior college fixation is hilarious.

Do they put the callers on mute when they are trashing them, because they never seem to react to the criticism...?

I think so. I don't beliebe the callers are well behaved enough to wait their turn so they probably just shut them off while they rant.

I love how it always comes back to "Don't lead a lovely life. If your parents beat you, don't go out and have a kid you can't figure out what to do with. Go out and lead a great life and laugh at your parents. That's how you show them. Have a better life than they did and make fun of them!"

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Grifter posted:

I said this in the last thread (and some people disagreed) but Jay Mohr was terrible. I didn't enjoy Gary Busey and Adam De La Pena either, mostly because Busey obviously hates Adam Carolla and the show just didn't go well.

Well I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Busey and de la Pena account as well. That show is great because of the way Adam pushes Busey's buttons a bit and slyly makes fun of his retarded rantings. The humor in that episode is very subtle but very very funny.

elb
Jul 23, 2007

"It is unusual," hissed Izlyr, "to celebrate such an event with the execution of a planetary ambassador."
This is weird. I used to catch bits of this show on the way home from work sometimes, and got so disgusted with it I eventually started just turning the radio off or changing the station when it was on.

It seemed like it was all about listening to people get made fun of, who were too stupid to realize that calling people whose job was to turn their personal problems into public entertainment might be a bad idea.

And now I discover the show's been on the air forever and has an enormous cult following.

Hmm.

Well, the Goon Hive Mind is rarely wrong. Perhaps I shall download a couple episodes and investigate.

The Man Who Wasn't There webcomic

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I love Adam and he manages to be really funny and still give out good advise, but I find Dr. Drew extremely annoying and rarely funny at all. I haven't listened to the show in a while but I seem to remember Dr. Drew making some pretty ridiculous comments. I remember him in all seriousness calling a 16 year old with a 13 year old boyfriend a "sexual predator" and basically saying "eww gross" and other homophobic poo poo when some caller was talking about their gay relationship. I also remember him spreading all sorts of misinformation about drugs, it reminded me of 5th grade DARE class or something.

elb
Jul 23, 2007

"It is unusual," hissed Izlyr, "to celebrate such an event with the execution of a planetary ambassador."

MaxxBot posted:

I remember him in all seriousness calling a 16 year old with a 13 year old boyfriend a "sexual predator" and basically saying "eww gross" and other homophobic poo poo when some caller was talking about their gay relationship. I also remember him spreading all sorts of misinformation about drugs, it reminded me of 5th grade DARE class or something.

Exactly -- that's the kind of thing I remember. I just started pulling the episodes Jubs listed from a big torrent, so we'll see. I don't remember the name Adam either -- just Dr. Drew.

The Man Who Wasn't There webcomic

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

MaxxBot posted:

I find Dr. Drew extremely annoying and rarely funny at all. I haven't listened to the show in a while but I seem to remember Dr. Drew making some pretty ridiculous comments. I remember him in all seriousness calling a 16 year old with a 13 year old boyfriend a "sexual predator"

Remember that Drew's point there is to give advice rather than be funny. He cares much more about spreading good advice than making an entertaining show. THat said, he does have his moments. As far as the 16 yr old dating a 14 yr old, that could esssentially be a Sophmore in HS dating an 8th grader. Though I wouldn't call it a sexual predator situation, I would consider it to be inappropriate. But I doubt he called that from that situation. He usually only gets on the ones that are like 18 dating 14 years old (or worse).

But if you think Drew is annoying/not funny try to avoid shows w/ Dr. Bruce.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MaxxBot posted:

I also remember him spreading all sorts of misinformation about drugs, it reminded me of 5th grade DARE class or something.

Would you care to share with us what some of this misinformation was in the first place? Otherwise I am just assuming you just have differing opinions.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Judakel posted:

Would you care to share with us what some of this misinformation was in the first place? Otherwise I am just assuming you just have differing opinions.

Well as I said the last time I listened to this was around 2 years ago, but I think I can remember one little bit that stuck out especially. Dr. Drew said something like "well have you used x drug more than 2 times? If you have you most likely have serious brain damage."

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
I can understand why some folks don't like DAG but listening to the episode where he does his impression of him in bed with a woman ("Don't you look at me, don't look at me, zzzz"), I could not stop laughing.

Combined with the prescription medicine names ("Norethindrone! Put down that wiffle ball bat and get in the house!") he is by far my favorite guest star.

That winamp channel is great, but it's always full.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

I remember him in all seriousness calling a 16 year old with a 13 year old boyfriend a "sexual predator"
I remember that call. It was a 18 year old male with a 13 year old boy. And the older male was a textbook predator, straight down to telling the younger that no one must know their "special secret."

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

vkeios posted:

I remember that call. It was a 18 year old male with a 13 year old boy. And the older male was a textbook predator, straight down to telling the younger that no one must know their "special secret."

Hmm I'm pretty sure it was 16, if it was 18 and 13 I would agree that it's pretty loving creepy.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 1, 2014

vkeios
May 7, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Hmm I'm pretty sure it was 16, if it was 18 and 13 I would agree that it's pretty loving creepy.
I could very easily be wrong; but I was sure the guy was older then me, and I was 16-17 at the time.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
When the archives were up a few months ago, I must have downloaded at least half the shows to listen to while I was cooking. Very glad to see them back up.

Also, I noticed a rather funny trend. Sometime around 2003 or 2004, Dr. Drew starts watching South Park, and becomes completely enthralled by the show. There were nights where he would derail people's calls just to try and recap the previous night's South Park episode. Sounded like a kid who just got a new toy and can't shut up about it.

I'm sure that it's been brought up before, but it seems like the worst guests were almost always new bands who were stuck on the show by a publicist that didn't understand what the show was about. There is no better example of this than the show where The Darkness was on. About half hour into the show, after one of the routine sexually abused girl calls, the leader of the band tells Adam that they didn't realize the show was serious, and that they're going leave. The Archive is down again, but you should be able to find the show pretty easily.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

MaxxBot posted:

I love Adam and he manages to be really funny and still give out good advise, but I find Dr. Drew extremely annoying and rarely funny at all. I haven't listened to the show in a while but I seem to remember Dr. Drew making some pretty ridiculous comments. I remember him in all seriousness calling a 16 year old with a 13 year old boyfriend a "sexual predator" and basically saying "eww gross" and other homophobic poo poo when some caller was talking about their gay relationship. I also remember him spreading all sorts of misinformation about drugs, it reminded me of 5th grade DARE class or something.

1) Dr. Drew is not funny. Adam is there to lure people into listening to the show, Drew is there to give medical advice. He runs a general medical practice as well as an addiction center. He deals with addicts every day and he knows the general medical stuff as well. (Adam mocks people who don't know this by saying, "Are you a real doctor or just a love doctor," whenever Drew goes into a technical explanation of what's going on.) Also, Adam learned most of what he knows from Dr. Drew, he just presents it in a funnier way.

2) The difference between a 16-year-old and a 13-year-old (and I suspect the age gap was greater than that) is profound. I've listened to about four years of shows and I haven't heard him overreact. If it's a 20-year-old and a 35-year-old he is cautious but not dismissive. If it's a 13-year-old and an 18-year-old he has a problem and so does Adam. Adam always argues that high-school should be 10th to 12th grade for this very reason.

3) Neither Adam nor Drew have a problem with homosexuality. The only time they question it is when a 14-year-old wants to announce to his/her parents that they're gay. If they know the parents have a problem with it they tell them to wait till they're out of the house. Partly because there's no sense in telling them that while they're living there (if they are gay it will just make life more difficult) and partly because they're usually trauma survivors who may just be acting out.

4) The only time Drew mentions number of doses is when he's talking about X, or some other psychoactive drug. And it was more than two doses. He referenced a paper that showed that a certain number of doses of certain psychoactives lead to permanent brain injury.

Adam talks all the time about doing shrooms occasionally and about smoking weed, and Drew doesn't harp about it. From what I've heard both Adam and Drew are atheists who have no problem with any activity as long as it doesn't harm the person or society at large.

They often tell people that sex with random people they meet is fine as long as they wear a condom and Drew is comfortable saying that a person is not an addict if they have no family history of alcoholism and they aren't continuing to use in the face of consequences. He doesn't want people to use, but he always asks people about their use before telling them they have a problem and he always has evidence to back up what he says.

Just listen to one of his rants about how the morning-after pill works or him telling a speed addict that it doesn't have any long-term effects.

He's a good scientist and a good doctor.

HerpesWrath
Apr 1, 2005

poo poo, I can't believe they broke up the team.
I used to listen in Chicago and then moved out to AZ where the show was spurned for the most part. The other month I was in LA and turned it on and was like WTF!!! where's Adam. The breakup was a great tragedy to radio.

If someone happens to know ( I know it is a long shot) but which episode in the archives has the following exchange. It's from '99 I at least know that.

Caller: I had unprotected sex with my g/f and I was wondering if there was a pill...
Drew: The morning after pill?
Caller: Yeah, that. Yeah I heard, ya know, that it would kill the feces.
Drew: Well yes but it needs to be...(realizes what the caller just said)
Adam: You got health class kid?
Caller: Yeah
Adam: Tomorrow at school, I want you to walk up to your health teacher and kick him in the nuts.

Da_Blorb
Jan 9, 2003
Keeper Of the Surprise Element

I want so badly to grab this right now, but I have to wait 2 weeks and hope the torrent doesnt die because I only have 4 gigs left on my download quota. gently caress Australia. It's enough to make someone drop trou.

spacecataz
Jan 5, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Well as I said the last time I listened to this was around 2 years ago, but I think I can remember one little bit that stuck out especially. Dr. Drew said something like "well have you used x drug more than 2 times? If you have you most likely have serious brain damage."

It was Ecstasy, as someone else pointed out, but the number he throws out is 20 or 25 times. The brain damage he speaks of is a type of depression that manifests itself later on. If you and your friends were doing X 15-20 years ago, a lot, you'd realize that Drew is correct.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I hope somewhere someone has those 1995-1999 shows. There's a lot of great material there but I think it might be lost in the before recording era.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
Their advice seems pretty down-to-earth, and I mostly listen for Adam's anecdotes and rants anyhow (his ACLU vs Fundies -rant is pure gold, I can't get enough of it).

As for mocking the callers - well, those they've mocked pretty much earned it. People with stuff going on in the background, people calling for a "friend", outright insane and stupid questions kind of deserve to be mocked for that. It's just radio, and they have to make it entertaining.

But people with serious questions I've found get a serious answer as well, so it's all good.

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

My name's Rushmore, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

MaxxBot posted:

Actually the line he uses is referencing a paper where it said for most people, 20 doses would do serious brain damage, but for some it could be as little as 2. I think it was LSD

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Primae noctis menage a trois.

gimpfarfar posted:

Their advice seems pretty down-to-earth, and I mostly listen for Adam's anecdotes and rants anyhow (his ACLU vs Fundies -rant is pure gold, I can't get enough of it).

Adam's rants really make the show for me. On this topic, try listening to the 04-08-01 show.

Adam uses pretty simple questions in response the "Right to Lifer" guest that's on the show. He makes it clearly obvious that the woman, and her organization, are full of poo poo, especially their "data." It actually kind of pisses me off that Dr. Drew says almost nothing during their debates and kinda leaves it up to Adam. Adam obviously has no problem holding his own, but the guest doesn't really take him seriously. Dr. Drew, as a medical professional, holds so much more clout that I think she would have been forced to retract some of her statements, at least for the purposes of the show.

Drew is like that with so much in his life; you start to learn this as you listen for a number of years. Sometimes he seems a lot more concerned with how people perceive him than with actually standing up to them.

Also, on topic of Adam's rants, I find the rants about life in Southern California funny, but seeing as how I've never been to L.A. or Orange County, I don't think I can truly appreciate them. But I guess Southern California goons can support those statements (All cities in L.A. with nice names are actually dumps, Bakersfield is a MASSIVE dump, North Hollywood sucks, the police there write the most chicken poo poo tickets i.e. Burbank should change its name to RAPEBANK, never have the traffic signs on the highways EVER given any useful information, the L.A. Unified School District is a disaster, etc)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

spacecataz posted:

It was Ecstasy, as someone else pointed out, but the number he throws out is 20 or 25 times. The brain damage he speaks of is a type of depression that manifests itself later on. If you and your friends were doing X 15-20 years ago, a lot, you'd realize that Drew is correct.
It also manifests as heightened anxiety and panic attacks.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 2, 2007

spacecataz
Jan 5, 2007

UltraRed posted:

It also manifests and heightened anxiety and panic attacks.

Absolutely. If I had a time machine, the first gently caress-up in my life I'd rectify would be taking so much x. I don't want to derail or sound like a grouchy old man, but that poo poo has messed me up, or at the very least magnified a pre-existing problem

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

spacecataz posted:

Absolutely. If I had a time machine, the first gently caress-up in my life I'd rectify would be taking so much x. I don't want to derail or sound like a grouchy old man, but that poo poo has messed me up, or at the very least magnified a pre-existing problem

It can still be treated with medication. Have you seen a psychiatrist?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I have this memory of a show I heard when I was little but I cant find an references to it anywhere. There was a guy who called in and was talking about how he had sex with his dog. They kept him on the phone and the rest of the show people called up and yelled at him for being sick. Anyone know if this show is on the archive?

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

Tainen posted:

I have this memory of a show I heard when I was little but I cant find an references to it anywhere. There was a guy who called in and was talking about how he had sex with his dog. They kept him on the phone and the rest of the show people called up and yelled at him for being sick. Anyone know if this show is on the archive?

That would be James from some point in 1999, one of the more infamous calls that got referenced back to many times at later dates. It took a shitload of digging to find this one. It was actually an interesting show in the end, too. One of the things to note is Producer Ann getting on the line and yelling at him, ignoring everything that he'd talked of to that point.

RapidShared

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Alexandr posted:

That would be James from some point in 1999, one of the more infamous calls that got referenced back to many times at later dates. It took a shitload of digging to find this one. It was actually an interesting show in the end, too. One of the things to note is Producer Ann getting on the line and yelling at him, ignoring everything that he'd talked of to that point.

RapidShared

Awesome! Thanks!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Thanks a lot!

The Phizz
Mar 15, 2007

nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Yes, I know the show sucks now and Stryker is terrible but is it not coming on tonight or something? KROQ isn't running the show and it should have started 15 minutes ago.

• Locked thread