Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
It's always great when they get a particularly dumb caller.

This is from one of my absolute favorite Loveline calls, when a girl called in to talk about getter her clit hood pierced:

Caller: :j: "I just got my clit pierced. They call it the trunk.
Adam: :raise: "What, they call it the 'trunk'?"
Caller: :j: "Well, where I'm from they do."
Drew: :crossarms: "Do you mean the hood?"
Caller: :j: "No, I'm from Virginia Beach."

I wish I could remember which episode it was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

TylerDurden posted:

Don't do it!
He'll do it! That man is crazy! He will drop trou!

Tori Amos is a great guest because Adam only half-heartedly tries to take her seriously. That's most of the reason I like the Gary Busey shows and the episodes with the psychics or vampires.

I've lost the mp3, but the show with Gorillaz on 3/6/02 was pretty funny too, even though the band were asses. They made fun of those guys for years afterward. The Aquabats too, although I never got to hear the show they did.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Yeah, but they also had many guests who thought Drew was just a love doctor.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Just finished re-listening to another great show.

2005-02-10 (Guest - Jen Schefft)

The guest was the star of The Bachelorette. Adam spends most of the first hour explaining how he'd convince her he was Mr. Right.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Rodney Munch posted:

One of my favorite episodes was when the guest was this hot chick from some silly reality show like the Bachelorette or something. Adam starts up about how he has that show totally figured out and that he could make himself so irresistible to her that she would have to pick him.

He then goes on and on about his plan. He says things like "First I wouldnt give me real name so I could remain dark and mysterious. I would go by Mr X. My family is immensely wealthy but I wanted no part in it so I hit the road when I was 17. My only companion is my horse that I rescued from the SPCA because his owner was beating on him. I feed him with a carrot that I put in my mouth"

Its funny as hell and he goes on and on for like 30 minutes hitting all of the cliche things that hot chicks find attractive in guys. You guys remember this one?
I mentioned that episode a few pages back. It's classic Adam.

Nemo posted:

Just finished re-listening to another great show.

2005-02-10 (Guest - Jen Schefft)

The guest was the star of The Bachelorette. Adam spends most of the first hour explaining how he'd convince her he was Mr. Right.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

ElMagoGrande posted:

About a plane of boy scouts that crash lands on a island full of pedophiles.
Haha, Adam's still pitching Pedif Isle? He came up with that on Loveline in early 2005. Adam's movie and TV pitches were some of my favorite bits.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
He pitched Pedif Isle pretty early in 2005 if I remember correctly. I think it might have been when Kelly Hu was a guest, but I could be wrong. Should be close to that timeframe at least.

I know he also brought it back later in the year with Eric Balfour, which was also a good show. The Eric Balfour show is great because Adam gets Drew to do some voice acting as the ghost of the cub scout leader trying to inspire Eric's Eagle Scout character to lead the kids away from the pedophiles.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
My favorite bit of Adam and Drew banter was always when Adam would try to relate the caller's problems to Drew's children. It made Drew horribly uncomfortable and Adam just wouldn't let it go.

(paraphrased)
"Ok Drew, let's say you walk in on your son and his girlfriend having sex, and she's wearing a strap-on. Would you rather walk in on your son getting banged by the strap-on, or going down on it?"

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

subscreet posted:

I don't remember what show Dice was on but it was a no guest show. Drew basically said "If you're not using birth control and you're ejaculating inside her she will get pregnant." and Dice is just like "...Oh," and then Adam is like "Dice, you weren't a genius before you got into the weed and now you're practically retarded because you're getting baked all of the time," at which point he goes on a rant about weed.
The Dice show just came up in my rotation. 2001-06-03 where the guest was an Abstinence Advocate named Dina. It was a fairly good episode and even though the abstinence stuff was impractical Adam and Drew had a very civil discussion with the guest about the matter.

Incidentally, the following episode on 2001-06-04 has Dr. Bruce as a guest with Drew still in the studio! About 50 minutes in is the origin of the "My question's regarding my peckah" drop that Anderson pulls out every once in a while.

While I'm at it, Drew's accusatory "You're a LESBIAN!" drop comes from 2001-05-17 where Howie Mandel subbed for Adam, but I don't have an exact time for it.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I'm disappointed that he's out, but he said on his radio show yesterday morning that if he didn't get voted off this week he'd feel guilty because everyone remaining was taking the contest much more seriously than he was. He only really did it to plug The Hammer and to challenge himself in a new way. He accomplished both of those goals, so it's okay that we have to say goodbye.

The unicycle was brilliant. His "offensive behaviour" last week was pretty mild. Who could possibly get offended that he implied Mormons wouldn't know anything about prostitutes?

I just started listening to his morning show again after a year and a half hiatus. I have to say it's MUCH better now with Teresa and old-phone-screener-Bryan than it ever was with the whole morning zoo he had surrounding him at the start. They get his jokes and play along way better than Drew ever did.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Jagfire posted:

Awesome pictures, thanks for those. But why is Adam's wife ugly? :(
Dude, she's far from ugly. She's just not 19.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I'm listening to July 2001 recordings now while I'm at work. Over the course of June and July, Drew got it into his head that it'd be a great idea for people complaining of skin problems to send in a digital picture. He's asking kids to send in pictures of their inflamed genitals, and doesn't see a problem with it. It's funny how clinically detached he can be sometimes.

07-02-2001 is a good example. The callers are strange, Drew wants pictures of underage vagina, and a bogus call gets Drew to defend date rape.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
TACS has just as much quick Adam humor and just as many rants as you'd expect, but he gets to talk to a broader audience. People over 29 were frequently either screened out or told to lie about their age when they called into Loveline. Now he can talk to more than just molested stoner teens.

Adam won't ever go back to Loveline, and I don't think he should. He's better when he's running the show, and Loveline had too many who-made-you-the-boss types for him to get anything done. Drew was his only ally.

The only thing I don't like about TACS is rear end Kiss Rodeo, but thankfully they haven't done that in months.

It's great when Drew calls in every once in a while, bringing back to life the guest that is the love the two hosts share for each other.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Graham Wellington posted:

Also don't forget the latest PSA's informing us that 38,000 people a year die from second-hand smoke, compared to 37,000 a year dying from car accidents. Which makes sense, because everyone knows a lot more people that have died from sceond-hand smoke than in a car accident.
But there's one thing your body isn't made for: Airplane turbulance!

Drew probably shouldn't have volunteered a diagnosis like that in an unrelated interview, but he's been right about that kind of thing so often in the past I think I'll give him a pass. He was convinced the red head from Sex and the City was playing a closeted lesbian character, and then later it turned out the actress was actually a closeted lesbian.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Highest Cactus posted:

Actually, im pretty sure that it was an Adam-only show.

I found the origin of the "ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa" girl laugh that sounds really mean. Its Sarah Silverman on the 2002-11-05 episode. Its within the first 15 minutes or so. When you hear it from Sarah in the episode, it sounds like a more fun laugh, but the drops make it sound more mean spirited and derisive :(
I think Adam and Drew have discussed in the past that that laughing drop actually came from some playmate who was dating Gunnar Nelson or something like that. I don't think it's Sarah Silverman.

I think you're right, the 5'12" drop came from a Dr. Bruce episode I think. I can't narrow it down any further.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
That drop is used almost every time someone mentions they have a small penis.

It was definitely recorded before 2001.

Obviously it's used well, because we've had like half a dozen people swear it actually came from a female guest when Anderson dropped it.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
He's been in the studio a few times. I remember once near the beginning of the show's run he was there when Deaf Frat Guy was there, and he totally didn't play along with the character.

"Why are you wearing headphones if you're deaf?"

"How could he tell what I was saying when he wasn't looking at my lips?"

I love Drew.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Judakel posted:

And you could stand the smarmy oval office that was John Henson? Whatever.

Everyone give a listen to the Aisha Tyler episode. She is relaxed, funny, and very smart.
Aisha Tyler is always a great guest, whether it's on Loveline or The Adam Carolla Show. She was great as a Talk Soup host too. She needs way more airtime.

I love Joel McHale. He'd have been a great replacement for Adam, but I'm glad he's on to bigger and better things than doing a radio gig every night until midnight.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I didn't listen so I don't know if it is a joke call or not but I checked the applicable law:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21453.htm

So no.
That's still a little ambiguous. After all, a left hand turn is permitted by a regular green light, so that'd count as "a movement permitted by another signal" if there was a green signal and a red arrow.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Chris left the show of his own accord to go work at a hospital or something.

Michelle left Loveline to engineer for TACS, but since she's not around now I assume she was let go.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
The NUMBER FOUR drop is played as part of the countdown during This Week In Rage. Brian also plays it whenever Adam goes a bit too long on a rant during the show, acting like it's part of This Week In Rage as a way to get him to move on to the next topic.

I thoroughly enjoy TACS now. The first year was so shakey I stopped listening even before Bonaduce showed up, but they really seem to have found their groove.

I don't agree with you guys that Teresa is just a yes-man to Adam. She plays along with him when it benefits whatever bit they're doing, but she also openly disagrees with him about important things. In the end, though, it's not HER show, so she can't just flat out negate everything the cash register says on air. She's the entire reason the show keeps to some sort of schedule instead of being one four hour rant about something Adam started talking about at 6:00 AM.

Can't it be good AND not be Loveline, or is Adam only funny for abusing retarded stoner molestation victims?

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Ugh, I can't stand Deaf Frat Guy, and I can't believe Adam is actually working on a Deaf Frat Guy movie.

The best DFG appearance was when he was in studio at the same time as Dr. Drew, and Drew didn't play along with him being deaf.

"Hey, why is he wearing cans if he's deaf?"

"How could he read my lips if he was looking at you?"

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
You guys are awful harsh on Teresa. Complaining that she stays engaged in guest interviews and sometimes pauses while collecting her thoughts (which Adam is just as guilty of) seems a little excessive.

She's just there to keep the show moving and be a comic foil for Adam. She reacts well when she's the butt of the joke, like the whole "T's V" bit.

At least it's not the pandering of Dameshek or the one-upsmanship of Bonaduce.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Ok, ok, point taken. Still, that only happened on one of DAG's many appearances, and he was putting a lot of effort into annoying Teresa at the time. DAG can be a lot to take even as a listener sometimes, so I can only imagine what it'd be like if he was focusing his mania on you personally.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Here's the first pitch on YouTube.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c5cNWVVXlxY

There's another pitch later in the year on 9/29/2005 with Eric Balfour that was pretty good.

Edit: Found the full episode: 2005-03-07 (Dr. Bruce and Guest - Madchen Amick)

Nemo fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 11, 2008

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I think it first showed up in the episode where Adam's assistant, Matt, from the TLC home improvement show sat in for the first half hour. Anderson made every effort to let Matt know Matt was gay. That'd be within the last couple weeks of Adam's run on Loveline.

Try 2005-10-24.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Teresa is fine. She's way better than Dameshek because at least she'll disagree with Adam sometimes and isn't constantly up his rear end. Plus, like I've said earlier in the thread, she's the only one that even makes a feeble effort to keep the show moving. Without her we'd be listening to a four hour left turn arrow rant every single day.

Adam is best when he has some opposition. That's why he was so entertaining on Loveline when no one around him except Drew was a fan.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Da_Blorb posted:

Thanks. Hearing Drew swear is like finding out Santa Claus isn't real.
Look motherfucker, I'm telling you! You gotta get out there and get your bitch spunk drunk.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I really hate to keep white-knighting a celebrity I've never met, but the bit you're talking about lasted like two minutes, and Theresa seemed to have a sense of humor about it.

Are you the guy that called, or something?

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Adam going back to Loveline would be the greatest thing ever, but it'll never happen.

If the show's really completely finished I'll be disappointed. I've really enjoyed the Adam/Theresa/Bryan dynamic over the last year or so. I hope Adam isn't the only one to land on his feet after this.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Sir Liquid Jerk posted:

http://franklinavenue.blogspot.com/2009/02/adam-carolla-to-depart-klsx-971-to-flip.html

I wish the Spanish Top40 rumor had been true, the sweet irony of tuning in to hear ranchero would've be awesome.
That happened to WHFS in DC a few years back, and it was far from awesome.

I'm listening to yesterday's show right now, and they just let Larry Miller win a Hypothetical Question. I think they know the end is near.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Here's something that wasn't just posted in a Howard Stern fansite:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/02/klsx-going-top.html

quote:

Beginning next week, new episodes of Carolla's show will no longer broadcast in any market, although it is believed that "best of" shows may air in some territories.

Doesn't look too hopeful for an all-podcast version for the rest of the year.

At least Joel McHale is on the calendar for Friday's show.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Alexandr posted:

How the hell can anyone DISLIKE Bald Bryan when he's the best drop guy on the planet and happens to know not to chime in unless it's beneficial to the broadcast? Teresa acted like it was her show and didn't know that there's nobody who liked anything she ever had to say, so hating her makes sense, but BB is pretty decent.

Alexandr posted:

I'm sure someone would if anyone liked Deaf Frat Guy at all. Luckily, that's not the case and nobody will ever go to that effort over such an annoying, ham-fisted attempt at comedy.

You live in an odd world of absolutes where everyone agrees with you.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Deaf Frat Guy too, but enough people liked him that Adam was considering a Deaf Frat Guy movie (ugh). Also, Teresa is awesome and I'm really going to miss her on the podcast.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Bryan and Teresa will be on tonight's podcast. Last night's with Drew was way better than the first show. I really hope the momentum keeps building.

He needs to get mics for Donny and Lynette too though if they're going to be shouting things from across the room. I can't wait until he works out all the bugs.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Squiggle posted:

You know, I hate Linkin Park, but they make great guests. They seem to love Adam, so its almost like he has a studio audience whenever they're there. The one in 2001 is a good episode, so the 2005 on should be too.
That's one of the great things about Loveline. Sometimes crappy bands or stars of crappy shows become the best guests. I was pleasantly surprised by John Mayer and Matthew Lillard too.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

ace_beef posted:

Listening to the Joel Mchale episode, what is the story about his friend Carl that he wont repeat on the air, but had said on loveline and got into trouble for.
Carl was the guy that would beat off by humping the insides of a beanbag chair. I remember Adam telling the story "anonymously" on Loveline and mentioning the guy was a school librarian.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Doug Benson is usually a pretty funny guest. I think he was just having an off night and didn't have a lot to contribute to Ace's topics.

You should all check out Doug's "I Love Movies" podcast. He has some great guests like Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman, and Paul Scheer. Dana Gould was on it a couple months back. It's only once or twice a month, and it's only 30 minutes, but it's hilarious.

I really hope Adam takes Doug up on his invitation to be in I Love Movies.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Daryl DBD posted:

Here's the norm episode in question:
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=mg180z0j5lc

Here's the episode about a week later where Adam brings Kenny Rogers on to ask him about the songs:
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=mxpwn8h6o8d

edit: decided to listen to these both again... and dear lord is it funny... Kenny is a pretty funny guy
Thanks a lot for this. I deleted all my 2008 shows a while back and then found myself wanting to relisten to the Norm episode. That's absolutely one of the highlights of all three years of Adam's morning show.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I think that was actually the first podcast with the new theme. Many of the recent podcasts have been released out of order. I remember the day after Bobcat Goldthwait's show, Adam mentioned Bobcat would be coming on the podcast soon.

It's irritating, but I guess they're trying to release certain guest shows closer to the events they're trying to plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I really wish they'd stop releasing these out of order. This was obviously the first episode with the new theme music and Skype calls, but we've been hearing that stuff since Danica Patrick last week.

Still, I guess it's not too bad. It's not like this is Lost or something.

• Locked thread