Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

In my experience, there's not really any difference in quality between the big brands at any given price point, but fairly large differences in feeling and (especially at lower prices) piano sound. If you like the Yamaha one, get it. You're not going to miss out on anything another brand offers. But if it's the only digital piano of that price level and age you have played, I'd recommend you find a Kawai/Roland/Casio at a similar price and try those as well. Unless you really like the Yamaha I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ani posted:

I have a question about buying a digital piano that I didn't see answered in the thread (but of course I may have missed it). My trusty Roland F-90 keyboard is on its way out (I've had it 14 years so, no complaints) and I'd like a replacement. During the pandemic I've been storing a friend's Yamaha CLP-525 which I love, so I think I want to get something of similar quality for myself. Is a similar model Clavinova the recommended best buy or are there other better options at a similar price range? In terms of features, I just play classical music for fun and don't need any fancy voices or anything, just a piano (but one I can plug headphones in so I can play privately).

Imho you reallly can't go wrong with the clavinovas. I spent about $2500 on mine, and it both feels and sounds as close as your gonna get to the real thing. Oh sure the more expensive models really do sound better, but I genuinely cant complain about my one.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Thanks both. I've never played a digital piano (except a bit of tooling around at a piano store) as nice as the Yamaha I am currently using, so I can't say I know that it's better than a Kawai/Roland/Casio of similar quality. Probably worth finding a way to try the alternatives before just pulling the trigger on something.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Does anyone have experience with the “acoustic based” hybrid pianos? I.e., acoustic pianos that have a digital headphone mode for quiet play at night. Kawai calls them “anytime” pianos. Does the headphone mode still have the right feel on the fingers? Is it actually totally quiet?

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
Apropos of beginner piano, these are easy canons aimed at absolute beginners. Always five finger position. The goal is to develop hand independence. I'm up to no. 8. I'd say they're good supplementary material if you're working on something such as Alfred's like me. :)

https://imslp.org/wiki/200_Short_Two-Part_Canons%2C_Op.14_(Kunz%2C_Konrad_Max)

An example canon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNGc0iGDgeE

IbrahimSom fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 19, 2020

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Me and my small hands have problems with 7th chords. How acceptable is it to leave out the 5th? Makes it much easier to play for me. Exceptions being dims with a flat 5.

Am I going to cast out by snobby jazz heads (yes probably no matter what)

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
The fifth is usually the least "important" note in a chord, omitting it usually doesnt change the character of 7th very much if at all.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Me and my small hands have problems with 7th chords. How acceptable is it to leave out the 5th? Makes it much easier to play for me. Exceptions being dims with a flat 5.

Root -- 3rd -- 7th is such a common jazz voicing there's a name for it: shell voicings. Check out Bud Powell--he p much developed them

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
My 5yo son started piano with a teacher, only had 3 lessons, doesn’t love it but doesn’t hate it either, actually practiced by himself ONCE :)

I’m a beginner piano player myself, what’s the easiest Christmas carol we could pick up for fun and playing together?

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

cosmin posted:

My 5yo son started piano with a teacher, only had 3 lessons, doesn’t love it but doesn’t hate it either, actually practiced by himself ONCE :)

I’m a beginner piano player myself, what’s the easiest Christmas carol we could pick up for fun and playing together?

I’m a total beginner but you can play Jingle Bells in C with a simple C, F, G triad progression underneath, starting the melody on E. One of you on the chords, one of you on the melody.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 21, 2020

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Honestly, often 7ths sound *better* without it. The 5th dominent is really there to build up overtones from the Tonic and fatten it up a bit. Because the extensions add a bit of dissonance however, that fifth gives a bit more surface area to clash with the 7th and especially the 9ths and 11ths. The Dominant doesnt really impart important musical information, it wont tell your ear if its a major or minor or whatever. Just leave it out and punk the tonic a little harder.

The other thing is, if your having trouble hitting those distant extension, consider revoicing your chord. Maybe even do something a bit trickier and instead leaving out the tonic, but then spelling the root on the bass, so for a maj7, you play an 3/5/7 on your right hand and the 1 on your right down a few octaves. Experiment! Thats the heart of jazz voicings. gently caress about until you got something fun for the ear..

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
a neat little trick my piano teacher taught me is that if you play a maj7 but then play that the tonic's relative minor in the bass you've got yourself a minor 9 instead. i know that's the kind of thing that you can just kind of figure out if you look at the notes but it probably would've taken me a long time to realize on my own. he's teaching me a song that has Em9 and Gmaj7 in it and being able to use the same shape in the right hand for both chords makes it a lot easier to play.

also i started noodling about a year ago and started taking lessons in january and i'm extremely psyched to be able to play songs with fancy chords in them (even if i have to play them pretty slowly)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

the jazz guys would concur with your reasoning about dropping the perfect 5th but keeping the flat-5 when its called for

i think this frees you up for lots of different chord voicings you could't get if you were obliged to play that 5th!

Jazz Marimba posted:

Root -- 3rd -- 7th is such a common jazz voicing there's a name for it: shell voicings. Check out Bud Powell--he p much developed them

its this

and sometimes it sounds really good to play the 5th in the bass (2nd inversion), so it could be good to just play a shell chord in your right hand so you aren't doubling the 5th

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

cosmin posted:

I have this book

https://pianoadventures.com/publications/adult-piano-adventures-christmas-book-1/

Which has gone over well. It’s nice cause the arrangements aren’t bad and they’re easy enough for me to sight read. I think they make an even easier version as well.

The Faber song books make good sight reading material in general.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Greetings, piano thread!

I had a notion this morning and I'm not sure if it's a "yeah that would be cool" or a "no, that's very stupid, you idiot. you absolute knave." I was a DOS gamer back in the day, and the holy grail for MIDI back then was a Roland MT-32. Basically a synth without a keyboard you'd hook up to your sound card that would let you hear ingame music the way the composer heard it.

I have a Yamaha Arius digital piano that's very good at being a piano-rear end piano, in the sense that I can practice on it and shift over to an acoustic pretty much seamlessly. That was what I wanted, that's what I got. It's got some built-in voices, including one called "DXPiano" that's meant as a generic synth sound, but you can't really do much to it. I know this thing has the ability to be used as a MIDI keyboard, so I'm wondering - could I take something like an MT-32 or SC-55, plug the piano into it via MIDI interface, and play using the various voices and settings of that sound canvas? Preferably without having to run a cable to a computer?

The piano has a line-in, so I was thinking plug into the sound canvas via USB MIDI interface, then take the line-out from the sound canvas and send it into the piano's line-in to use its speakers. Does this make any sense? Is there a more modern box I should be looking into instead?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I think there may be a defect in my new piano. It took me a couple months to really notice due to inexperience, but I think the key A2 through F3 are not right. They have this weird action where there is a distinct stepwise sequence of sound. If I don't hit them hard enough they produce this muted thud, and are not actually pressed all the way, but may be 90% of the way. It's like there is a small barrier of resistance encountered by my fingers. This makes playing below mf very difficult for me. No such issue exists an octave below or above. I recorded a sample where I try to play these keys quietly. Let me know what you think. Should I complain to the store? Do I simply need a tech to adjust something or am I just doing something wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAdbZ92YAUE

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pokie posted:

I think there may be a defect in my new piano. It took me a couple months to really notice due to inexperience, but I think the key A2 through F3 are not right. They have this weird action where there is a distinct stepwise sequence of sound. If I don't hit them hard enough they produce this muted thud, and are not actually pressed all the way, but may be 90% of the way. It's like there is a small barrier of resistance encountered by my fingers. This makes playing below mf very difficult for me. No such issue exists an octave below or above. I recorded a sample where I try to play these keys quietly. Let me know what you think. Should I complain to the store? Do I simply need a tech to adjust something or am I just doing something wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAdbZ92YAUE

That looks like something a piano tuner can regulate rather than an actual defect in the piano. Could have happened when the piano was moved or maybe just the result of settling into a new environment?

I would absolutely contact the shop about it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Stringent posted:

That looks like something a piano tuner can regulate rather than an actual defect in the piano. Could have happened when the piano was moved or maybe just the result of settling into a new environment?

I would absolutely contact the shop about it.

Interesting. It was like this before I got it tuned about a month ago too. It's kind of startling that the tech didn't notice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Standard disclaimer, I am not a piano tuner, but it sounds as if the let off is too close for those keys? You might be able to tell if you can look down inside at the hammers moving, here's a video describing the mechanism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ65x0R23Ac

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I contacted the store. We'll see what they say. Meanwhile, I took a video from the inside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FciI1R_1iXE
Hitting E then F. F is almost perfect, E is garbage.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pokie posted:

I contacted the store. We'll see what they say. Meanwhile, I took a video from the inside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FciI1R_1iXE
Hitting E then F. F is almost perfect, E is garbage.

Ah yeah, you can see the damper sticking on the E. I dunno what causes that but it's probably not too hard for a tuner to fix.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Stringent posted:

Ah yeah, you can see the damper sticking on the E. I dunno what causes that but it's probably not too hard for a tuner to fix.

FWIW, the store said they will take care of it once the lockdown is over.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Piano's been here a year now so I just had it voiced. Chap was at it for about 5 hours and I'm very happy with the outcome. It was brighter than it had been when I selected it, a little too brilliant, sometimes if not very careful with touch a little harsh even. I've enjoyed it this year but now it's the instrument I fell in love with again. Warm, dark but with a great dynamic range and full of different colours. Very happy. Can't overestimate the usefulness of a good tech.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I’m trying to figure out how to describe a chord progression. I’ve got F-Dm-Am-G which puts me in C or Am key.

If it’s Am then it’s a vi-iv-i-vii progression but a google seems to suggest this is fairly uncommon even though it sounds perfectly nice to me.

Do I have this right?

Also how do I know if my chords make up a major of minor chord progression?

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I’m trying to figure out how to describe a chord progression. I’ve got F-Dm-Am-G which puts me in C or Am key.

If it’s Am then it’s a vi-iv-i-vii progression but a google seems to suggest this is fairly uncommon even though it sounds perfectly nice to me.

Do I have this right?

Also how do I know if my chords make up a major of minor chord progression?

The first three chords sound fine but the last one, in the context of the three preceding chords, does not sound super compelling. But that also depends on voicing. My immediate gut reaction after hearing the Am is to go to C. But also because you started on an F major it's hard not to think of the entire progression as being in F major.

This is assuming you're going for a repeating 4 chord progression. The G at the end can work depending on what goes after it.

For example you could have:
F - d - a - B/G - C/F - C

This would clearly be in the key of C major as reinforced by having the second last suspension chord leading finally to C major.

Starting with F major and having a "weak" progression from d to a doesn't really cement it in the territory of A minor.

bltzn fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 23, 2020

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Playing around with it some more, F d a G sounds pretty good if you're not moving in one direction on the keyboard. E.g. if you move down from F to d, then move higher for the a to G, you get a nice echo motif going on which could definitely work! But that sounds squarely in F major.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

bltzn posted:

Playing around with it some more, F d a G sounds pretty good if you're not moving in one direction on the keyboard. E.g. if you move down from F to d, then move higher for the a to G, you get a nice echo motif going on which could definitely work! But that sounds squarely in F major.

Bit of a delayed reply but if I was in F major then wouldn't I have to have a Gm rather than a G to incorporate the flat B (speaking in terms of the diatonic chords in Fmaj)?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Bit of a delayed reply but if I was in F major then wouldn't I have to have a Gm rather than a G to incorporate the flat B (speaking in terms of the diatonic chords in Fmaj)?

Yeah thats right, the G Major chord is NOT in the key of F Major. Instead, the G Minor chord is. But the G Major chord is in F Lydian (same notes as C major), so thats one other way to think about this.

in C Major, i would write IV ii vi V

in F Lydian, i would write I vi iii II

And instead of saying F Lydian, you could also say "its in the key of F major, but I'm borrowing this non-diatonic G major chord for color."

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Yes, my mistake, thanks for catching that! I meant g minor, not major

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Here's a random question.

I inherited a Kurzweil PC2x this weekend from my grandfather. He and my grandmother were heavy smokers so I need to clean this sucker up before anything else really.

Are there any good youtube tutorials or threads or anything for it? What should I use in terms of cleaning solutions and materials? Just sort of looking for somewhere to start. It doesn't have to sparkle, but I don't want tar buildup inside to cause any damage while playing it, and I would like to get it looking NOT like it sat in a heavy smokers home for a decade.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I’m a big Spinal Tap fan (see user name) and I noticed today as I was practicing my F/dm scales and diatonic chords that the last of the 4 chords that Nigel Tufnel plays in the ‘Lick my love pump’ scene isn’t from Dm (the saddest of all keys). He plays Dm, Bb, Am, G when the G would be Gm if he was using diatonic chords.

Not sure if it was a little hidden joke but it amused me. I know you don’t always have to use the diatonic chords to make a song sound nice but thought it was interesting that there was a ‘mistake’ in his grand composition.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

We haven't had some Chopin in a while ITT, so here's some. A friend put together an online recital of Chopin's complete Mazurkas, and this one is my contribution. Very short, but many layers of complexity and also kind of awkward on a technical level, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfTKyKJbJzI

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
When I was in 10th grade, the piano player they hired to do the Homecoming event didn't show up/cancelled so on a pinch like that afternoon the day of I said I'd do it, so they booked me to play the whole show just after hearing me warm up a bit. I really just played Fur Elise over and over but everyone was like wow good job. The seniors said they'd kick my rear end if i screwed up their homecoming haha

Oh I played piano at my Sister's wedding after party for awhile. I LOVE PIANOS

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Don't know if the yanks here know of Jools Holland but he's a music presenter / Boogie Woogie piano player over here in blighty.

Found this on youtube. Quite an inspiring 45 mins light history of the piano / blues / boogie woogie / his influences etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lYTtFHANUs

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Could this be a sped up video? Like, compare to the pitch of the first note to any other recording of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzjpnSdeVA

The pitch of everything is about one semitone higher than what my wife's Yamaha electric piano does. I figured Richter's piano might just be tuned weird, or maybe old pianos were just tuned all over the place. But I found the settings to transpose our piano up one note; when I shift it up one key it and play the song myself the chords still sound completely different from his version. The pitches themselves just sound more wrong that way than in this video, which is kind of my baseline for what this song should sound like.

Is my wife's piano weird, or is there something to this video's playback speed having been adjusted? Was that common for old recordings? Indeed, other recordings of Richter playing this song don't go nearly this fast, although he's a lot older in them.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
RIP Chick Corea. Fml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5B64jXbu0

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Is there a thread or place for asking what the notes and chords in a song are? There are some simple riffs I'd like to learn in music I listen to that I could use some help with.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i know this is the piano thread, but ultimate guitar might have what you need. i usually google "$SONG_NAME chords" and most of the time, someone has posted a chart for it to UG.

but beware guitar chord sheets which call for a capo! for example if it says "Capo: 5" that means you need to click the button to transpose up 5 semitones so it sounds right on your piano.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm looking to scan and digitize all my sheet music and put it on an old mac book I have lying around and using that as my defacto way to read sheet music. Is there a good program for reading/organizing various sets of sheet music, they'll likely all be in pdf format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Skyarb posted:

I'm looking to scan and digitize all my sheet music and put it on an old mac book I have lying around and using that as my defacto way to read sheet music. Is there a good program for reading/organizing various sets of sheet music, they'll likely all be in pdf format.

forscore is the industry standard, everything else is passable. always on ipads though, idk anyone that’s done it on a mb

pick up a page turner pedal too, they’re a life changer