Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I played classical piano through the RCM program for 12 years (I would have done it in 10 but I had to do grades 6 and 7 for two years each) and quit just before taking the exam for grade 10 (which is like a grueling two hours of song recital, written theory and aural testing). I was recommended to take the ARCT by my teacher but because I dropped I never did finish and do that.

My girlfriend's parents bought me a fun 76-key casio that I hooked into my PC and I've been practicing with it here and there never really having a serious sit-down session in the past two weeks I've had this thing.

I can read sheet music 100% and although I'm finding that I'm a little slow reading left hand bass clef, I can spot play right hand no problem. I've gone through 4 years of theory and done a lot of ear training.

My problem is that after 10 years of video games my hands are about as nimble on the ivory as a 50-ton semi running the Nurburgring. I've forgotten all fingering, my theory is rusty and half-forgotten and I can't pick out keys and notes through listening anymore.

I'm not sure if I should put the money down for an expensive teacher (I refuse to take a class, it's 1 on 1 or bust for me) to help train myself with all of those aspects again or work on them by myself with the idiom of falling off bikes ever present in my mind. Kind of a hard thing to get oneself to go back to lessons after you swore off twelve years of learning because you were too cool for it, back in the day, you know?

*edit* As for a song I'm learning right now? Chopin's Opus 64 Number 2 (Waltz 7 in C# Minor) - probably my favourite chopin song ever.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

The top is for vocals, the middle is for the piano or whatever other instrument you feel like playing it on that can do chords and the bottom is for guitar if you're one of those frat boys who can read tabs to impress chicks while not being able to read real music notation.

And yeah, you play that F without a sharp or flat. You also play all the remaining Fs in that bar the same way until you come across a new adjustment for F or you hit the end of the bar.

I have a question of my own, I've never encountered the notation at the top of that image. The 'G' 'G7sus2' 'C' 'Cm6' business. What does it do, who uses it, and where can I learn more about that?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I am Jesus, here with insight and deeper knowledge

Wow! I was never taught to look at it like that unless I slept through that theory class. Thank you, you have no idea how much that unlocked in my brain.