Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
You have two kinds of diminished scales: half-whole and whole-half. They are really basically the same thing and there are only 3 distinct diminished scales because they are symmetrical, just like there are only 2 whole tone scales.

With #C, if you are talking about the half-whole scale it is
#C D E F G #G bB B #C
(or however you want to write those pitches). The scale is comprised of the #C and D fully diminished chord tones.

The #C whole-half scale is
#C bE E #F G A bB C #C

So the #C whole-half diminished scale is really the same thing as the C half-whole diminished scale, and the C half-whole diminished scale is the same as the bE, #F, and bA half-whole diminished scales and etc etc. The half-whole is just the mode of the whole-half and vice versa. It was really kind of hard to conceptualize it at first to me.

On piano, and I am not much of a pianist, I find these scales really cool because there are only really 3 of them, but they go over a lot of different chords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
Well, they're the same really. Like I say I'm not much on piano but it seems like the fingerings are sort of odd and the scale does have 8 notes, but you can just drill on the 3 distinct scales until you can finger them smoothly. They do sound rather exotic when you just play the scale up and down. The C/bE/#F/bA half-whole is pretty easy since it is kind of symmetrical - play it and you'll see what I mean. The other 2 are weirder to finger but it can be done.

I use the half-whole a lot because it has some very nice harmonic implications - it has the major AND minor third, the fifth, the flat fifth, the flat seventh, and the flat ninth. That's a nice collection of tones over a dominant chord in a blues or jazz setting. The whole-half is sort of strange to me. It has the minor third and natural seventh, and then it has the 2nd, 4th, 6th. Then it has flat and sharp 5ths. I don't know quite what to do with it honestly.

edit: This might seem like a funny discussion to have in the "just starting out on piano" thread, but I am actually a beginning on piano and I'm trying to tackle stuff like this from the beginning so that it's just a part of everything I learn rather than an advanced topic. I think that's a good thing to do.

Here's what I have been trying to keep in mind as a beginner:

1. Develop the left hand and always be able to drive the playing with the left hand. (seen too many players with wicked right hands and nothing coming from the left)

2. Play without looking at the keyboard. (If Ray Charles could do it...)

3. Don't emphasize any key, be comfortable with all keys.

Wabbit fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 3, 2007

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

Hughmoris posted:

In an attempt to provoke some discussion in this thread...

What songs do ya'll pull out of the bag when you're hanging out with friends around a piano and someone eventually says "Play something!"?

I play I Got Rhythm, Autumn Leaves, How High the Moon? and You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To. Then just embellish on them and play them in different keys.