Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Alizee posted:

For dominants and diminished chords however you can be a bit more liberal with your fingering, however always keep it the same. I use 1-2-3-5.

I'd say that only using 1-2-3-5 could become a bad habit, resulting in lowering your ability to use the forth finger. Also, when it comes to inverted four-note-chords of different kinds, for example jazz-voicings with the left hand, 1-2-3-5 is definitely not always the choice that's most confortable for the hand.

A weak forth finger is a common weakness among pianists, I think it's good to be mindful not to let it slip in use. But I learned the piano without a teacher so I might not know what the gently caress.

On the other hand, when you're a beginner it's probably better to keep things simple, so you don't have to think about complicated fingerings while playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Cuddly Dan posted:

I just need to improve my reading. Any suggestions?

Keyboard reductions of Bach's chorales is apparently something of a standard thing to go through to improve in sight-reading. I've been doing that anyway, and it has worked well for me, I guess it helps if you like the music, which I do. :)

You should play them slow enough to sight-read, once, and then go to the next one. There are over 300 or something chorales, so there's should be no risk of memorizing getting in the way.

edit: Also, get used to playing without looking at your hands, without looking at the keys at all.

PerOlus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 30, 2007

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
drat it! Anyone know what song this is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWj_VQPLKw

It's from a commercial that runs in most cinemas in Sweden. I want to play it. (assuming there is more)

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Slave posted:

On a related note is there a site or resource to find out what grade specific pieces are? googling "what grade is [x]" is unreliable.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Graded_Pieces_All.pdf
From the piano world-forums has a grades on a bunch of pieces. I don't know where the grades actually come from, but they seem reasonably legit.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
For me using Db instead of C# is more about spelling, making more clear what you're up to with the notes.

If we're working in c-minor scale for example, and you say Eb, I know you're talking about the minor third. If you call it D#, that'll mean sharp second, and will mean you're up to something special.

That's why you see stuff like double flats etc. Take Chopin's Etude op. 25 nr. 9 in Gb major for example. It's packed with double flats etc. It may look retarded, but it really makes it easier to read - makes the intention of the notes clearer.

Using C# or Db depending on scale/intention etc, makes things easier to read and interpret, even though they sound the same.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Monti posted:

All that just depends on how you decide to write it on the manuscript paper. I've seen two versions of Liszt's Paganini etude no. 3 on manu. paper(it's in A flat minor). One of them was written with sharps(the version I have) and the other was written with flats(the other version I saw). The first notes are all Eb/D#. It the same drat thing. It's just a matter of preference as to which one you think is easier to read. Quite honestly, with a Chopin or a Liszt etude, no matter how you write it on the manuscript paper, it's going to be rather difficult.

If it's Ab minor you should write it with flats. If it's G# minor you should write it with sharps. I would guess that some versions appear with sharps, since that makes 5 sharps instead of 7 flats - "easier to read". Those versions should call it Paganini etude 3 in G# minor, instead of Ab minor, just to be consistent.

But yeah same key anyways, so just a matter of preference.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I like Alfred's WTC. It has lots of editor notes, regarding different versions etc. The editor's choice to play is printed more clearly, and his choices makes much sense.

http://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Well-Tempered-Masterwork/dp/0882848313/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1323330112&sr=8-18

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Bach's Invention #1 Cmajor is nice. No big jumps, let's you relax at parts with having the hands take turns in doing stuff, the notes are "close" to each other at most times. Some passages will probably be tough to sight-read, but give it a go anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

CowOnCrack posted:

For piano players here's an excellent source of inspiration.

András Schiff, one of the best pianists alive today, lectures on all 32 Beethoven Sonatas. This was when he was performing and recording the entire cycle. Each lecture is quite long and packed with musical and historical goodness.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html

These are really good!
I've gone through teach12's lectures of Beethoven's piano sonatas, and Andras Schiff's lectures acts as a sort of mini-lectures complementing very well. He plays the piano along the lectures, with "effortless mastery", which is much appreciated.