Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Goofy comedy whose plot is essentially a hybrid of "Blades of Glory" (washed up former prodigy who blew their big chance gets a second shot at the big time) and the "Enter the Dragon/Mortal Kombat" genre of "mad mysterious Asian crime lord hosts martial arts tournament in secluded compound" with ping pong substituted for skating/fighting.

The movie is passably funny but there is a critical lapse in editing or pacing in the early going, the first 5-10 minutes (past events that set up the plot) are pretty unfunny. The early part is both dragged out too long and completely lacking in the film's funny actors. Once it hits its groove after this early part it's a decent enough crude summer comedy.

It is funny how the Chinese actors speak a combination of Cantonese and Mandarin, depending on which actor is in a given scene.

2.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I was honestly surprised that a movie with Christopher Walken, Patton Oswalt, the dad from Everybody Hates Chris, and George Lopez could be this extremely mediocre. There are less than 10 laugh-worthy jokes in the entire movie, and it's so light on plot that the only reason to even pay attention is on the off-chance you'll see one of the cute girls.

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004
I love Walken, but as stated this had just mediocre all over it. I left the theater feeling somewhat content, but it's a movie that I'm not going to remember three months from now.

Plot was terrible, Walken is amusing, Maggie Q is insanely hot, and there are lots of tiny balls.

2/5.

StupidFatHobbit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 18, 2007

needle exchange
Jul 3, 2004

Sweat. When it's hot, baby.
This movie was awful in every way. Randy Daytona was just plain obnoxious and rarely funny. Walken doesn't show up until half way through the movie, and is only mildly amusing when he does. I don't go to these kind of movies for plot, but the jokes were terrible and most of the humor seemed to derive from homosexual innuendos, or the main character falling over after getting hit in the genitals.

And seriously, how many 'balls' puns can you milk out of the concept, especially when it's so titular.

lovely, lovely movie.

1/5

Seppuku
May 24, 2004

Photo Of Crying Father A Lasting Symbol Of Economic Struggle If There Ever Was One
Absolutely horrible. There is nothing remotely creative or original in this entire movie. Christopher Walken and George Lopez couldn't save this movie if they tried. The lead was unfunny at best and mostly an obnoxious peice of poo poo. The only reason I didn't walk out of the theatre was the off-chance of seeing Maggie Q in another spandex outfit.

1/5

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Redeeming features include: Maggie Q and Ping Pong.

Otherwise you have in your hands a movie that has a poor sense of character development, and you had to deal with an annoying main character for the whole movie.

There were some nice ideas, but they either were not executed well enough or it just wasn't funny in the first place. As with most comedies of this nature, a good chunk of the jokes were recycled and/or corny.

2/5

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The film was quite mediocre, although I had incredibly low expectations to start with. That said, I actually did find myself laughing out loud in several scenes--so the experience wasn't a complete waste.

It's true that most of the comedy in the film was just not very well-constructed and at most times felt very stiff and scripted, like there was no freedom at all for the actors to actually try, a la 40 Year-old Virgin or Superbad.

The biggest disappointment for me was easily the fact that the film takes almost half its duration to build up the big villain, a Chinese crime lord whose face was never photographed--that is, until he's revealed as Christopher Walken. . .too bad the punchline was spoiled in every single teaser the movie had.

See it if you're desperate for cheap laughs.

The Good: Some hilarious scenes, high-profile cast, Maggie Q is hot, Shang Tseung cameo

The Bad: Stiff writing, some very corny jokes that overstay their welcome

The Ugly: The protagonist is a pretty nasty-looking guy

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

novaSphere posted:

The biggest disappointment for me was easily the fact that the film takes almost half its duration to build up the big villain, a Chinese crime lord whose face was never photographed--that is, until he's revealed as Christopher Walken. . .too bad the punchline was spoiled in every single teaser the movie had.
Yep. That could have made the movie, turned it from a dull film into a dull film with a twist that could have redeemed it, or at least had people saying "Holy poo poo, it's Christopher Walken! I totally did not see that coming!" But of course they had to ruin it.

I think I went in with the right attitude, though- expecting complete crap and watching with my dad who loves dumb comedy. I also really love Reno 911, and Robert Ben Garant directed the film (Thomas Lennon played the evil German guy, to my surprise). It's not too bad if you go in with very low expectations and with someone who'll laugh at any dumb thing.

2/5