Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Lion King IMAX
May 3, 2006

by Lowtax
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811106/

Directed by: David Wain
Starring: Winona Ryder, David Wain, Paul Rudd, Gretchen Mol, Ken Marino, Famke Janssen, Adam Brody

You should be able to tell by the names behind this whether or not it's for you. The "Stella" sense of humor is very selective, and not everyone's cup of tea. However, if you're into this sort of thing, it's absolutely fantastic.

The movie tells ten stories (think Paris J'Taime if Wain directed all ten shorts), one for each of the Ten Commandments, as narrated by Paul Rudd. All of the stories take place in the same cleverly entwined worlds, and all of them show the repercussions of breaking one of the commandments in a very twisted way. Almost every story starts out relatively sane, but almost none of them end anywhere close to it.

The ten-story format keeps things from ever slowing down or getting boring or tedious. It's really hard to pick a favorite because they're all hilarious, rarely redundant, and simply brilliant. They are 100% unpredictable, except when chosen to be for comedic effect. The movie is everything you'd expect from the creators of Wet Hot American Summer and so much more.

I'm not going to spoil any of them, but this movie has one of the longest and most thorough cameo lists of all time. Somehow Wain managed to keep up the pace of having a talented comedian appear every couple minutes, and it absolutely works because all of them do fantastic jobs. They convey Wain's sense of humor perfectly, to the point that it feels like Wain is playing every character.

I can't say anything more than that it's absolutely fantastic. Not every joke is perfect, but the vast majority of them are perfect hits, whether subtle or overt. If you ever wondered if the Stella style of comedy could maintain momentum in a feature-length movie, this answers that question.

The Ten received a very limited release, so if you can see it, consider yourself lucky and go as soon as possible.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidavenger
Mar 28, 2005
This movie completely and utterly failed to entertain me in any fashion.

It's as if a goon made this movie and it's a huge troll on people who my chose a movie based entirely on who is in the movie, then giving those actors the most idiotic parts to play.

Of all the movies I’ve seen this one most closely resembles Amazon Women on the Moon, except this one isn’t funny.

Funniest part of the movie: a lot of naked men

Worst part of the movie: a lot of naked men

The Ten was probably the worst movie I have seen in a very long time, and in all likelihood this is the worst movie I have ever seen.

0/5

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!
One of the worst movies I've ever watched and I loved The State, Wet Hot American Summer and Paul Rudd. I really tried to like it but I don't think I laughed once during the whole film.

0/5