Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Directed by: Ryuhei Kitamura
Starring: Masahiro Matsuoka, Kazuki Kitamura, Don Frye

Synopsis: The movie starts with Godzilla falling in a hole in the South Pole ice shelf while fighting a giant flying drill. People become mutants without any explanation given, and are formed into a handy super-army for fighting giant monsters. But they only get to fight a giant shrimp before aliens dressed like out-takes from an old Devo music video take all the monsters away. Then other things happen and Godzilla gets to fight every monster that ever appeared in a Japanese monster film, no matter how lame. The flying drill comes back, flown by Mike Ditka. Meanwhile, several scenes are stolen verbatim from The Matrix, Return of the Jedi, Starship Troopers, and several other movies I forget. There are several major scenes centered on going out like a kamikaze. Hey, nothing awkward there.

This is a very strange movie. I'm honestly not sure how to rate it. You can't call it a good movie, since it is really just a collection of REALLY OBVIOUSLY stolen scenes from other movies strung together with scenes of guys in rubber suits smashing poo poo while lots of pyro goes off. And for the most part it isn't point-and-laugh-at-it entertaining in the way the shabbiest old Godzilla movies are. They couldn't possibly be serious about this, but the effect you get less tongue-in-cheek and more tumor-in-brain. I forgot to mention that they use blue and yellow color filters seemingly at random for no apparent reason.

On the upside, the monster action is excellent and there is a lot of it. If you're a Godzilla fan you'll get a kick out of seeing almost every goofy Japanese monster ever. Some of the Matrix ripoff human action is OK too. And I suspect that the sheer randomness and retardation of it all will make you laugh at a few points. So the net effect of it all is pretty entertaining if you don't actually expect, you know, a real movie or something.

RATING: 3/5

PROS: Monsters! poo poo blows up good (usually)! Wierdly funny in places. Token white guy is actually pretty good.
CONS: Just plain wierd, makes no sense, shabby in places, steals lots of parts of other movies.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0399102/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU