Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Maybe they'll go crazy and do an ISF competitor model.

Does Mazda even have a V8 though? Would Ford license them the coyote?

They do (allegedly) have an I6 so maybe they'll just out two of those together :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mobby_6kl posted:

Miata Mach-e crossovers for everyone!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
E:woops

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Next Miata should have a small battery pack to keep weight down with a rapid charge option. If you can go 100 miles on a charge in a Miata you're good to go in 99% of use cases.

Having the NE be electric would be perfect branding too.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Next Miata should have a small battery pack to keep weight down with a rapid charge option. If you can go 100 miles on a charge in a Miata you're good to go in 99% of use cases.

I recognize that I’m not most cases but that wouldn’t even get me to the nearest wal mart and back lol

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I want to do some aero but I don’t want to be raced at every stoplight. It looks stock now and already gets enough attention.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Virgil Vox posted:

I recognize that I’m not most cases but that wouldn’t even get me to the nearest wal mart and back lol

What are you buying at walmart that would fit in a m-E-ata? lolsmallcarjoke

tbqh I made costco runs in the mx5 and hauled many good big things like 36 packs of toilet paper, it was surprising to me how good I have got at intuiting how much I can fit in my car at any given store

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Thom ZombieForm posted:

What are you buying at walmart that would fit in a m-E-ata? lolsmallcarjoke

tbqh I made costco runs in the mx5 and hauled many good big things like 36 packs of toilet paper, it was surprising to me how good I have got at intuiting how much I can fit in my car at any given store

My ND is my only car and I almost exclusively shop at Costco. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in it when you make use of the front seat. The only thing I have to watch out for is getting a pack of toilet paper AND paper towels in the same trip. Other than that I've never had any issues getting enough groceries for one person for a month+. The trick is not getting boxes at the checkout and instead using reusable grocery bags.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
About six months ago I bought a 2020 ND Miata. Love it a bunch, super fun to drive, but the infotainment system is a piece of crap - slow, unresponsive, and occasionally reboots while I'm driving.

I am extremely new to the world of having a car which people like to modify, and typing "new infotainment system nd miata" into google is (shockingly) not super helpful. I assume, possibly incorrectly, that pretty much every part of the miata has a variety of aftermarket pieces - is the infotainment system like that as well, and can I just buy something that isn't lovely and replace it? Where would I go about finding this, and how would I go about replacing it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What are you trying to do?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

My ND is my only car and I almost exclusively shop at Costco. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in it when you make use of the front seat. The only thing I have to watch out for is getting a pack of toilet paper AND paper towels in the same trip. Other than that I've never had any issues getting enough groceries for one person for a month+. The trick is not getting boxes at the checkout and instead using reusable grocery bags.
My NB was my only car until I got the shitbox Fit like a month ago and I still most take my miata shopping if the weather is nice because it's more fun, and space is never an issue. Remember that you have infinite vertical space available.

Coca Koala posted:

About six months ago I bought a 2020 ND Miata. Love it a bunch, super fun to drive, but the infotainment system is a piece of crap - slow, unresponsive, and occasionally reboots while I'm driving.

I am extremely new to the world of having a car which people like to modify, and typing "new infotainment system nd miata" into google is (shockingly) not super helpful. I assume, possibly incorrectly, that pretty much every part of the miata has a variety of aftermarket pieces - is the infotainment system like that as well, and can I just buy something that isn't lovely and replace it? Where would I go about finding this, and how would I go about replacing it?
Maybe it's broken? The stock infotaiment in my car was FM radio but from what I've seen, the NDs supposedly have a pretty decent system.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah I’d get that checked out under warranty. I suppose it’s subjective but I don’t feel like the infotainment in my ND is particularly slow or unresponsive, and it’s definitely never rebooted while driving.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Phone posted:

What are you trying to do?

Make it so that I don't need to sit in my car and wait 45-60 seconds for it to boot up before I can connect my phone and start playing music.

Eyud posted:

Yeah I’d get that checked out under warranty. I suppose it’s subjective but I don’t feel like the infotainment in my ND is particularly slow or unresponsive, and it’s definitely never rebooted while driving.

Ah, okay - if this isn't a common symptom of the car, then I can definitely ask the dealership to take a look before I start trying to use money to make the problem go away. I sent an email to the dealership I got it from, the car is only six months old and has about a thousand miles on it, so presumably they should have no problems taking a look at it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The car is under warranty and that sounds very wrong, get them to sort it out.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If you don’t like the answer they’re giving you, take it to another dealership.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where are you supposed to look up Mazda competition part numbers? This is all I see on the site for comp parts

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
are you looking for stock parts or competition parts?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Competition parts

I have access to both on the site, I was hoping to browse available parts rather than just googling for what I need and pasting part numbers

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
ok which competition parts? what are you looking for?

e: a lot of the competition parts don't have a year attached to them, leaving off the year/make/model might get you what you want. the competition parts are largely just race pads, sway bars, some wheels, spec miata suspensions, and maybe one off stuff like hardtops.

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 19, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm ordering comp RUCA-O bushings and a bunch of non-comp parts.

I don't NEED anything else, I just wanted to see what is available

e: oh, that opened it up, thank you

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 19, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://i.imgur.com/hSvXEcG.mp4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol it looks pretty mad.

The Car Passion guy spend a day on the dyno testing a bunch of bolt on mods. For all the talk about how you can't get much of an N/A miata, he gets a surpisingly large power boost by the end of the day, just over 20 percent. Intake, header, manifold/exhaust, and... a stand alone ECU. Granted, the ECU is always the biggest problem especially since it'd make passing emissions a pain in the rear end here and costs as much as the rest of the car.

https://www.thecarpassionchannel.com/nb-dyno-1

Still, with some cams it looks like it'd be possible to hit two hunnet crank horsepower without any major engine surgery, which is pretty cool. I'm also curious if the VVT engine would see even bigger gains. If the tuning can be replicated with a speeduino I might even get off my rear end and try to do it.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 22, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On the subject of dynos, i got hosed by the NASA compliance dyno after I had my car retuned. My goal was to make 210whp average, instead it came out to 216whp avg.

Original tune:

Original tune before and after on UMS dyno:

Compliance dyno:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, so what happens then? Do you get DQ or penalized?

Applesnots posted:

I will probably on sunday, been working lots. It is dark when I go to work and dark when I get home, but I only work a half day today.

WHERE'S LIL BEEFY??

I had to go out and find your younger beef bro:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Haha is that rack mounted so you can still use the soft top? Fantastic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah seems like it's just bolted down to the hardtop mount in the back :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo, so what happens then? Do you get DQ or penalized?
It meant my minimum weight is now 2376 with me in the car, so I currently have to stay above 3/4 of a tank.

I'm going to take this opportunity to move my fire suppression system bottle to the trunk and add a passenger seat :unsmith:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Car is at that the shop getting its replacement top and rollbar installed. Hooray.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

BlackMK4 posted:

Compliance dyno:

gently caress MCE and their random number generator.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anything to look out for on NCs? I didn’t realise how cheap they were now and it’s got me thinking.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A guy I bought a car off had one so I asked him about it and he said the fabric poo poo they put in the rear arches for noise dampening/stone catching can hold moisture against the paint and rot out the back of the sills.

Late edit because I've just found out that NCs are 5x114.3 too which is weird, NA/NB/ND are 4x100.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 25, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The last few years of NC club model with the retractable hardtop are hot.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Late edit because I've just found out that NCs are 5x114.3 too which is weird, NA/NB/ND are 4x100.

Isn't that because the NC is a shortened RX8? Or is the RX8 a fat NC? I can't remember

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
NCs seem like a good deal right now and a 2.5 swap doesn't look too bad, saw this one the other day and it looked pretty nice

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's like sex, even if it's fat bad, it's still good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
NCs with the 2.0L with bolt-ons + tune can get close to 200whp, the 2.5L with cams is well into the 225+ range. They're not super cheap, and there's a bunch of pain in the rear end parts to source if you want to do track stuff (hello goodwin exhaust header, OEM style hardtops, etc.), but NC1s can be found for under 7.5k, NC2s under 10k, and NC3s are all over the map 10-15k usually. 949racing has a Xida package in the works that is going to be sold through Goodwin, soon.

I need to do some spreadsheeting, but the napkin math I've done so far still puts it in the $15-20k range for a go-fast, reliable, nice NC. Unfortunately that puts it in the range of picking up a Toyobaru, a 1/2/3 series of some sort, doing a K swap on an NA/NB, a Mustang or Corvette, or even a Boxster/Cayman.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

In England they can be had for 2 grand. I have 2 friends who built to fia cup spec for 10. Crazy.

I just want a fun ish daily that I can back into roundabouts and flip over without crying too much. The M3 is my main track car but it’s too extreme to take to the office.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Anyone here interested in buying a low mileage track prepped ND2?

I've had some recent changes in my life and owning two cars is a bit impractical for me right now. As much as it saddens me to sell it I think it's the right thing to do.

Does anyone have advice on what the best way to go about this would be? I'm not sure if I should try to sell it whole or part it out and revert it to stock. I don't have a great space to work on it so I may have to pay to get it reverted back to stock unfortunately.

The car has the following:

2019 ND2 Club Recaro package with the Brembos and BBS wheels. Ceramic Metallic.
Flyin' Miata Fox suspension
Hard Dog Roll Bar
Konigg Hypergram 17x8 with new Conti ECS
Porterfield RS Pads, also new
Flyin' Miata lightweight hideaway hitch.

Was thinking of asking $29k which is around the top end of KBB.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

Anyone here interested in buying a low mileage track prepped ND2?

I've had some recent changes in my life and owning two cars is a bit impractical for me right now. As much as it saddens me to sell it I think it's the right thing to do.

Does anyone have advice on what the best way to go about this would be? I'm not sure if I should try to sell it whole or part it out and revert it to stock. I don't have a great space to work on it so I may have to pay to get it reverted back to stock unfortunately.

The car has the following:

2019 ND2 Club Recaro package with the Brembos and BBS wheels. Ceramic Metallic.
Flyin' Miata Fox suspension
Hard Dog Roll Bar
Konigg Hypergram 17x8 with new Conti ECS
Porterfield RS Pads, also new
Flyin' Miata lightweight hideaway hitch.

Was thinking of asking $29k which is around the top end of KBB.

Can afford the car but if you don’t mind I’d like to ask:

Did you install the roll bar yourself? How was that process?

Do the 17x8s need a fender roll with being lowered and like -2 camber? Do they rub control arms or that plastic fender liner?

(Might be interested in wheels and hitch if you do part)

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Phone posted:

NCs with the 2.0L with bolt-ons + tune can get close to 200whp, the 2.5L with cams is well into the 225+ range. They're not super cheap, and there's a bunch of pain in the rear end parts to source if you want to do track stuff (hello goodwin exhaust header, OEM style hardtops, etc.), but NC1s can be found for under 7.5k, NC2s under 10k, and NC3s are all over the map 10-15k usually. 949racing has a Xida package in the works that is going to be sold through Goodwin, soon.

I need to do some spreadsheeting, but the napkin math I've done so far still puts it in the $15-20k range for a go-fast, reliable, nice NC. Unfortunately that puts it in the range of picking up a Toyobaru, a 1/2/3 series of some sort, doing a K swap on an NA/NB, a Mustang or Corvette, or even a Boxster/Cayman.

Out of curiosity, where would be a good place to start with an NC1? Mine is stock and I wouldn't mind stretching its legs a bit more.