Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TrueChaos posted:

Five hours for a front swaybar on a miata?

:laugh:

you have to either cut the stock swaybar out or disconnect and drop the steering rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Virgil Vox posted:

If you go the DIY route this is a great guide: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=709333 , I used this but couldn't manage to fish the bar (flyin miata) through so I loosened the radiator support brackets to give me like a 1/2" more clearance.

Nice. Yeah the sway bar install on a nd seemed tricky based off just the comments I read on the flyin Miata product page ( 8 hr installs reported). I’m not sure why it’s deemed outlandish to be charged 5 hours labor for this if I don’t end up doing it myself. And +1 to the idea of altering one aspect of ride via sway bar over impacting multiple as a noob getting started.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seven hundred bucks to install an sway bar is pretty outlandish. Like "quit your cushy corporate job" level money.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Two small jobs completed today.

First up: Rear bumper cover swap

I'm noticing the "new" bumper cover isn't fitting as tight to the body on the driver side but don't see anything that could holding it off. Don't feel like figuring it out right now.

Second: Swapped steering wheels

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Hey folks! I got a question for you.
What is this thing in the pic that is cracked?

What is it called?
Where can I get another at a reasonable price?
No junkyards near me.
Also, how bad is it as it is and is it idicatative of other problems? Thanks!

Ed 95 na

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Beltline cover. Fairly pricy from Mazda considering what it actually is. Not entirely sure how you'd damage it, it isn't exactly in the way of anything.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Beltline cover. Fairly pricy from Mazda considering what it actually is. Not entirely sure how you'd damage it, it isn't exactly in the way of anything.

I tried googling that and all that came up was the plastic cover, this is aluminum or some kind of pot metal with bolts in it looks like it hold the top to the frame.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You're talking about the broken bit, right? Known as a beltline cover on here which is a spot which gets in OEM Mazda stuff. You could email and ask for the part number perhaps.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/beltline-cover-mazda-mk1-p-1203.html

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You're talking about the broken bit, right? Known as a beltline cover on here which is a spot which gets in OEM Mazda stuff. You could email and ask for the part number perhaps.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/beltline-cover-mazda-mk1-p-1203.html

Ok Cool! Thanks, I was googling ant it was just showing the plastic that goes over the rim. Weird. Thank you!

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Nice to be small

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Ah, crap.
I lost my keys for my 90 Miata. Rummaging through the drawers I found a Mazda key that operates my doors, glovebox, center console, and trunk. It does not operate the ignition.

I don't own any other 90s Mazdas, what the hell key did I find? This doesn't make sense as a valet key, it doesn't operate the ignition but works everywhere else.

Did the 90 miata have VIN matched keys? Wondering if the dealer can cut a new key...

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Ah, crap.
I lost my keys for my 90 Miata. Rummaging through the drawers I found a Mazda key that operates my doors, glovebox, center console, and trunk. It does not operate the ignition.

I don't own any other 90s Mazdas, what the hell key did I find? This doesn't make sense as a valet key, it doesn't operate the ignition but works everywhere else.

Did the 90 miata have VIN matched keys? Wondering if the dealer can cut a new key...

If it works in the glovebox it should work everywhere else. One of my Miata keys was worn enough to only work in ignition one way up, so maybe try flipping it 180 degrees.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
The glovebox and ignition are keyed same? What should the valet key work in, and what should the other key work in?

I've tried both orientations. Jiggling the key. Raking the key.
The steering column interlock is on. So I've tried at both maximum deflections of the wheel and all the bits in between.
I've put enough force on the key that I felt it start to yield but stopped before I broke the key.

I squirted some penetrating lube into the cylinder and will try again tomorrow.

I was reading that the passenger side lock has a key bitting stamped on that, was gonna pull the door card tomorrow if the lube didn't free it.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Valley key operates door and ignition but not the trunk, glovebox, or arm box. I’d try dealer with vin first before taking things apart.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Does the tow chain make it look like it is a happy car?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Makes me want to yank it

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

pastor of muppets posted:

Now that I’m 100% WFH I’d been hemming and hawing about selling my Mazda6 that I no longer need (it’s a 2017 Touring, with a six-speed manual, so it’s a bit of a unicorn and I was terrified I’d regret selling it) but last weekend I got a wild hair up my rear end and traded in both it and my ND1 (that I’ve owned only a year, they gave me more than I paid for it on trade-in lmao) and upgraded to a ND2 RF.

It feels so bougie and frivolous, but man it makes me smile every time I look at it :3:
Congrats! Do you find the various improvements from the ND1 to be noticeable? A ND2 RF in the same Deep Crystal Blue like yours is on my list of vehicles to consolidate into by selling my NA and Fiesta ST.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Bet you can’t spot the nd2 in this blurry pic

put the expensive sway bar install on hold, got a Goodwin roadstersport street muffler install instead, sounds great

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

pr0craztinazn posted:

Congrats! Do you find the various improvements from the ND1 to be noticeable? A ND2 RF in the same Deep Crystal Blue like yours is on my list of vehicles to consolidate into by selling my NA and Fiesta ST.

Thanks! I had my heart set on the Deep Crystal Blue since my 6 was the same color. It’s a pain in the rear end to keep looking good, but when it’s clean, it’s gorgeous.

And yeah, the extra power makes a huge difference between the ND1 and ND2. I don’t really notice the LSD vs the open diff I had before, to be honest, but I’m also not tracking either vehicle. A lot of the QoL improvements are nice, especially the wireless CarPlay. I miss being able to just toss back the top in a couple seconds, but the RF is definitely quieter, and rear visibility is surprisingly better with the top up, too.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Last weekend went well at Summit in WV. Back again this weekend for autox. Finally fixed the rear O2 sensor I fried at MATG last summer, nice to be rid of the CEL.
I'm liking the Fed RSRRs so far, they seem easy to read. Next is putting the ultrashield back in to more easily pass the broomstick test.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Following up with my previous post, I had the dealer cut me a new key based on VIN.
The new key didn't work, FFFFF!!!! Apparently at some point the ignition cylinder (at a minimum) was replaced, explains why I had a different key to open the trunk. Should have been obvious in retrospect.

I pulled the whole ignition keyswitch assembly out (Airbag, clockspring dealy, wheel). Hammering out the bolts sucked real hard.

Looks like the cylinder is held in with blind pins, which sounds terrible to remove. I'd probably have to buy a drill press.
Anyone ever replaced the cylinder? Looks like they sell just the cylinders, having trouble finding the whole assembly for a '90 Miata...

Wonder if a locksmith can make a key based by decoding the existing cylinder?

My zero cost option is essentially to put momentary and toggle switches into the dash.... Making sure to disconnect the battery when parked.....

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
NA you can start and run by shorting ignition switch wires. I had to rip out PO’s stupid “security” from 92 and he cut the ignition wires for bypass too short to reconnect properly. Look at the wiring diagram for starter relay colour, collect the rest all together for accessory and run power that touch the starter to the bundle and done.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
comedy option is shorting wires. I do love big sparks BUT...
Not having a key also causes issues with the steering wheel lock, I could only drive in concentric circles!
I was thinking of having 3 toggle switches (ACC, On, Start). Possibly 4 as the On has two sets of contacts that get connected.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hi again Miaaaaaaata thread, I'm very nearly done with the frame rails and the new pieces have some satisfyingly thick welds on them so those are going to be all good. I've been chasing rusty bits and have found a patch behind the arch liner on the body, right by the seam just above the front sill so that'll need chopping out. I've noticed these cars (or at least mine?) rust in the oddest ways due to how they're put together. My current favourite is the little compartment which houses the wipers and dumps any water/debris right into the wing where there's nowhere for it to escape at the bottom. Oh and the back of the front arches which has mounting hole for the plastic mounting plugs on the liner which just goes right inside the chassis instead of something a little more waterproof like a nut/bolt setup. I also believe whoever did the seam sealing couldn't be arsed because there's a few spots where there's just layers of metal open to the elements, so I'll be rectifying that.

What a fantastic yet terrible car! I can't wait to be done with this and enjoying driving it. I'll be sure to put some cash aside for inevitable rot repair in the future, I'm not sure if I want to be bothered doing it myself!

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Anyone have a good solution for rearview mirror relocation / adjustment for an ND? It's... very much in the way. I see a 400$ seat lowering option which'll lower me another ~1-1.5 inches but requires cutting the car.. I'd rather look for mirror solutions

e: huh, shows it as adjustable in manual, seemed fixed on inspection, will take a look

e2: yup, it do go up. Gotta use some extra force (as compared to adjusting tilt). Awesome!

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 20, 2021

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I'm always scared I'm going to pop the mounting tab off the windshield every time I go to adjust a new mirror that's all tight.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

In case you wanted some photos of the fun of hacking out and replacing chassis rails. The set that I bought were a full sides/bottom deal in a U shape and I quickly realised that trying to get it to fit nicely in one piece was going to be a nightmare so I hacked one of the sides off each and set to carefully hacking out the crap and welding in some good clean metal again. On the right side after having my head inside the engine bay doing the left side and finding it pretty loving awkward I tried working from the inside of the frame rail out, that was a lot better. It meant I had to spend less time with my head in the bay as the welding was like 90% done, I just neatened it up a bit.

Left side

Right side

Shiny new bit to replace the sway bar mount that I hacked out and the end links I am going to just annihilate instead of loving around with. Waiting on the sway bar.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 21, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ordered some sills because I wasn't totally convinced the previous work done on them is 100% up to scratch. So for peace of mind I'm just gonna whip them off and install some new new instead, that way I can deal with any other issues I may find along the way. Underneath generally is solid so that's good, just a little crusty on the suspension arms etc but if I need to, those are easily swapped out.

Losing precious sunny days to all this work.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

2016 ND Club Sport, I'm the first owner.

Today marks the second time I've found a crack in my windshield starting at the lower drivers-side and working diagonally up and into my field of view. Is the windshield considered a consumable part on this car, or am I just really unlucky to have this exact same thing happen twice in 5 years???

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 28, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Fuckin 12 inch crack in my windshield and no sign where it came from. Fine when i parked for the night, cracked the next morning.

oh hey look here I am talking about it when it happened the first time

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 28, 2021

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I went through windshields about every 3 years with my NA/NB/NCs. Thin glass for lightness and close to the ground = consumable item.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, it's probably something I need to get used to. But since this is almost exactly the same crack as last time, happening while the car was parked and with no sign of damage that caused it, I'm worrying about a defect or stress point or something that's making it keep happening.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do you have free replacements through your insurance? In my state it's required because of our crazy weather.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure I'm still on the original in my NB, even though it does get hit occasionally

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lotus Elise seat trip report:

Mounted the driver's seat with flipside brackets to the factory slider. I sit a little lower, definitely further back from the wheel but have less space between the factory wheel and my legs. I got tree trunk legs and I think the recline the brackets put the seat at exacerbates the problem. Wheel now feels further away when I got my legs at the proper distance. I like the seats, the brackets are nice. Just not the right fit for me. Next will be trying foamectomy and/or Tillet B5.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

2016 ND Club Sport, I'm the first owner.

Today marks the second time I've found a crack in my windshield starting at the lower drivers-side and working diagonally up and into my field of view. Is the windshield considered a consumable part on this car, or am I just really unlucky to have this exact same thing happen twice in 5 years???

I'm doing this right now on an ND! Anyone have tips on the best places to get the mandatory windshield garnishes? My local dealers all tell me to just have Safelite do everything, and that they don't carry garnishes as replacement parts, because they are not necessary. Safelite tried to do the job twice, then told me that I need garnishes before they will try it again, but that I need to buy garnishes for them in advance. What's a good online resource for Mazda parts these days? Why is this such a pain in the rear end?

https://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/Service%20Caution%20when%20installing%20Windshield%20Garnish.pdf is the TSB you might want for whoever does your windshield. The nearest dealers to me say they've never seen it, but the auto-glass companies sure seem to think it isn't a normal windshield to replace.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The wee blue devil is out of winter storage :sun:

So much fun tossing that 10AE around the corners even at mostly legal speeds :v:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

wzm posted:

I'm doing this right now on an ND! Anyone have tips on the best places to get the mandatory windshield garnishes? My local dealers all tell me to just have Safelite do everything, and that they don't carry garnishes as replacement parts, because they are not necessary. Safelite tried to do the job twice, then told me that I need garnishes before they will try it again, but that I need to buy garnishes for them in advance. What's a good online resource for Mazda parts these days? Why is this such a pain in the rear end?

https://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/Service%20Caution%20when%20installing%20Windshield%20Garnish.pdf is the TSB you might want for whoever does your windshield. The nearest dealers to me say they've never seen it, but the auto-glass companies sure seem to think it isn't a normal windshield to replace.

You can buy the parts online at Priority Mazda. The top piece seems be called "Upper Molding" and the A-pillar pieces are called "Garnish". They're like 100 bucks for each piece, surprisingly pricey.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
Thanks! Most of the online parts shops had those at $150-200 each, so that's a great resource. I might get a windshield from them too, locally it's $800, but they sell them for $400, and are within driving distance of me. $1300 in parts for a windshield replacement wasn't feeling right, but $750 or so does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Oh that's a nice looking NA I wonder what they've done to the engine...

:q: