Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So adding a cat this week did a great job at reducing headache fumes from entering the car while sitting at res lights etc. Since it is a high flow cat it didn't really do a whole lot to reduce the exhaust sound which is kind of annoying after 30 or so mins.

Me: buys new FM exhaust system for Miata
Later
Me: the New exhaust will be quieter so you should be a little happier with that too .
Wife: oh the loudness wasn't really that big of an issue or it didn't bother me that much it was just the smell.

Welp.. I still think im putting it on since the magnaflow is pretty annoying at 3-4k. If it wasn't a convertible it would be fine but with the top down at cruising speed it's kind of annoying. Zipping around town and to work is fine for 30 or so mins but after that i gets grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Turn up the music

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can still hear it over the radio.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Continue turning up the music.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Also if fumes are entering the car I'm assuming you're riding top up. Are you aware the Miat is a convertible and should be driven top down as much as possible?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the fancy CANBUS controller for the flyin miata hush o matic setup is back in stock, and their site is stonewalling me on shipping for the full exhaust setup. I emailed them to see if there's any way i can give them way too much money for a shitload of stainless for maximum braps.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Really? I ordered a cat-back FM exhaust for an NA and it shipped for free.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also if fumes are entering the car I'm assuming you're riding top up. Are you aware the Miat is a convertible and should be driven top down as much as possible?

Top down.. no cat I'd get that 'rich' smell when at stop lights.. with a cat it's all gone so all good, stoplight was the only issue.

I'm 6' so yes.. the top is down around 99% of drive time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Huh. just realized i can probably drive over to Grand Junction on a Friday to just pick it up from their address. Havent taken the miat over the mountains yet so

e: nope they can't sell to CO residents or ship to CO because we require carb certified cats, and it's just EPA, not carb. God drat it.

And yeah, i'm aware of the thing i can do, he hinted at it.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 3, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FM exhaust is on. Took about 2 hours to remove old exhaust and install new one with only me.

Much quieter cruising at speed. Still sounds nice on the go pedal.

I was a little afraid for a few min that it was quiet as heck when cold but opened up after a few miles.

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
ok new door bushings in and it fucks.
everything feels less lovely.
thanks for finally pushing me to do the 40 second job.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Geneva Breaker posted:

ok new door bushings in and it fucks.
everything feels less lovely.
thanks for finally pushing me to do the 40 second job.

Which ones did you buy? I don't remember, do you have an ND?

Any squeaks or trouble closing the doors?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Noo don't make me do the door bushing too.

Maybe I'll do it as a reward to myself for swapping the roof this year.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I have door bushing for my NA sitting in a box in my house, I should probably put them on I suppose

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post

MetaJew posted:

Which ones did you buy? I don't remember, do you have an ND?

Any squeaks or trouble closing the doors?

it's an NA, i got literally the cheapest next-day plastic bushings, and no issues with closing or alignment.

all you gotta do is put the screws in snug but not tight, slam the door shut, open it back up and tighten the screws down. no use fussing with the exact position unless your car's not straight.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Geneva Breaker posted:

it's an NA, i got literally the cheapest next-day plastic bushings, and no issues with closing or alignment.

all you gotta do is put the screws in snug but not tight, slam the door shut, open it back up and tighten the screws down. no use fussing with the exact position unless your car's not straight.

Yeah, the Cravenspeed ones are delrin (I think) and $70, and that seems like a bit much for what they are. But if they provide a noticeable difference in feel, I might be tempted to make an impulse purchase.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I bought a '22 soft top club with the brembo package today! Has a little under 9k miles. Not sure what the prev owner was up to, but he only had this a few months, took it to a Ziebert for rust protection (in New Mexico???), some kind of paint protection, and some fabric protect. He also bought like 2 months before he sold it, a 72 month service contract with some company. He left the paperwork in the car, and it says he's on a monthly payment plan. I'll figure this poo poo out later.

Only time I've driven a manual was a 3 speed Jeep CJ-5 we kept at my grandmas. Spent a few hours driving around, stalled or chirped tires a number of times trying to get into 1st. I had my iphone in that little slot next to the usb ports and it overheated lol.

How do I take care of the soft top? I got a pressure washer and foam cannon, but for this little thing I'm not sure if I need it.

idk if anyone is looking for a new rf gt, but I almost bought this one, that price on the site is real and they don't do markups. https://express.mazdamarket.com/express/JM1NDAM79N0507753?deal_type=cash&payment_frequency=month

phosdex fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 6, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

phosdex posted:

I bought a '22 soft top club with the brembo package today! Has a little under 9k miles. Not sure what the prev owner was up to, but he only had this a few months, took it to a Ziebert for rust protection (in New Mexico???), some kind of paint protection, and some fabric protect. He also bought like 2 months before he sold it, a 72 month service contract with some company. He left the paperwork in the car, and it says he's on a monthly payment plan. I'll figure this poo poo out later.

Only time I've driven a manual was a 3 speed Jeep CJ-5 we kept at my grandmas. Spent a few hours driving around, stalled or chirped tires a number of times trying to get into 1st. I had my iphone in that little slot next to the usb ports and it overheated lol.

Congrats on the car.

I have this phone mount, which I like a lot. I swapped the grippy bit with a magnetic mount. I would be careful putting your phone in that nook. It can flight out during spirited driving.

https://www.rspeed.net/miata_cell_phone_mount_p/nd0-3159.htm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that cubby is a trap, not useful for anything.

i used 3m foam tape to put my radar detector mute button there. easy to hit without looking down

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I recently got this mount that goes in the cup holder socket:

https://www.cravenspeed.com/gemini-device-mount-for-nd-miata-2016-2021-flex/

I wish the neck was a little longer so I could have the phone closer without being in the way of the handbrake but it’s fine, and being magnetic is really nice. The MagSafe version holds an Apple charger so it can charge the phone without plugging it in too.

Also have the CS door bushings and I like them.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I notice the manual lists lug nut torque as a range, 80-108 ft lb. Is that strange?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just wash the soft top like car paint, mine is fabric and i just foam if and scrub it lightly with a micro fiber and the rinse it off, if its vinyl even easier.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Just finished installing the MX5Things RF roof controller and accessory/ignition cable. The cable took less than 5 minutes, though it was a little cramped.

The roof controller was a little tedious because the interior body panels are a little bit of a pain to remove and pull away from the back section of the car. That maybe took me 20 minutes.

Two quality of life improvements that should've been like this from the factory.

I also installed a Garmin Mini 2 dashcam with the Mx5things mirror power adapter. The only frustrating thing there is that the lane departure camera unit takes up a big chunk of the windshield and limits where you can place the camera without obstructing the view.

phosdex posted:

I notice the manual lists lug nut torque as a range, 80-108 ft lb. Is that strange?

Maybe that higher torque spec is because of only running 4 lug nuts vs 5? My Mazdaspeed 3 lug nut torque was somewhere around 76 ft lbs I think with a 5 lug hub.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I also installed a Garmin Mini 2 dashcam with the Mx5things mirror power adapter. The only frustrating thing there is that the lane departure camera unit takes up a big chunk of the windshield and limits where you can place the camera without obstructing the view.

I checked out that mirror adapter but I guess I don't have the right mirror. I ran the power cable down the passenger side A pillar for a Viofo A139.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

phosdex posted:

I always assume its a nice round number in newton meters or whatever they used originally. Aside from that, I usually see lug torque as a range of about 20-ish ft lbs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Yeah, the Cravenspeed ones are delrin (I think) and $70, and that seems like a bit much for what they are. But if they provide a noticeable difference in feel, I might be tempted to make an impulse purchase.

Yeah I got whatever was $13 at moss.. tossed it into all my clutch parts as a 'oh yeah I've been meaning to get these '. $70 would not have been a purchase. That's 1/2 a clutch kit.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Soul Red is pretty cool. My other car is grey and I'm loving over grey cars.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:drat:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

gently caress yea, that looks amazing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
soul red is so good and i find myself staring at even the most boring cx5 or whatever that has it.

get ppf. you know no shop will ever be able to redo it

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Soul red is bordering on hallucinogenic if you wear polarized sunglasses. Such a good choice.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
There was a Soul Red Mazda 6 in my office parking garage a few years ago. I'm certain it had a ceramic coating and an owner that must've been hyper-anal because it was always pristine.

Very cromulent color.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I bought my 2016 in ceramic metallic, it was a nice color, then my wife saw one in soul red and was all wait why didn’t we get that one :-|

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's the problem with that red, it makes it clearly the best choice so like 90% of NDs end up being in that color

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

The Soul Red is gorgeous but it's too posh for what I put the ND thru.

Not that I like seeing damage to paint but the thought of slapping cones and/or paint chips in the red, ugh, its just TOO NICE. I don't think i'd have this mental tick if it was a little flatter (less metallic?) like the older gens.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My NA was the laguna blue, I would love to see that color again. Unless I already missed it or something

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I installed the Flying Miata cabin air filter and screen today. Was pretty easy to do, and the existing screen in the air box was a bit dirty at 11k miles

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Virgil Vox posted:

Not that I like seeing damage to paint but the thought of slapping cones and/or paint chips in the red, ugh, its just TOO NICE. I don't think i'd have this mental tick if it was a little flatter (less metallic?) like the older gens.

Exactly why i passed on the '23 red one i test drove first. i'd just want to stare at it all day, not drive it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Virgil Vox posted:

Yeah that's the reason I haven't fixed the paint damage on my front bumper. Someone's tried to peel off the badge, I hit a rolling hubcap on the highway, someone's scratched it in a parking lot... not to mention the stone chips. I'm afraid if I got the paint perfect, I'd be super paranoid about driving it properly.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mine is super hosed. And that's OK :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Bring back winning blue, Mazda you cowards.