Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

The Amputee House posted:

Will not having the LSD, DSC, 6 spd really hurt?

Of those, the only thing I would regret not having is the LSD, but it depends on your situation.

The top-end gearing difference between 5- and 6-speeds is pretty small, so you don't really gain much by having a 6th, but it does keep the revs down a bit if you're going to be on the freeway a lot.

I don't have DSC and don't really miss it, but then again I almost never see snow.

LSD helps you power through corners, but if you're not going to track it or burn up the back roads, you won't really miss it (barring the occasional "holy crap, didn't see that oncoming truck turn left FASTERRRR!" situation). I don't have one and I wish I did.

The Amputee House posted:

Although the PRHT is cool kit I prefer the soft top for looks, and simplicity.

Can anyone give me any advice?

For the tops, it again depends on your situation and cares.

I am paranoid about parking my soft-top under trees (bird poop is a pain) and of having my top slashed, but you may not be concerned. The hard will be a little quieter and warmer, if you're into comfort. The hard-top goes down in 12 seconds and I don't know how quickly it goes up, but the soft goes down in 2 and up in 4 and can be done while moving (slowly). You're more likely to have to replace the soft-top someday than the hard.

So, no clear winner, but if you have a garage or covered parking and don't have to park in public much, I'd give the soft-top the nod.

If you're going to do any modifications, you'll have a slightly easier time finding stuff for an '08 than a '10, but that should improve with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

iscariot posted:

Phone: Did you change your cam seals? I seem to recall some valvetrain-like noise coming from people not re-tightening their cam sprockets correctly.

Cam seals were replaced and the caps were torqued down in the proper order when I removed the cam.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

televiper posted:

For the tops, it again depends on your situation and cares.

I am paranoid about parking my soft-top under trees (bird poop is a pain) and of having my top slashed, but you may not be concerned. The hard will be a little quieter and warmer, if you're into comfort. The hard-top goes down in 12 seconds and I don't know how quickly it goes up, but the soft goes down in 2 and up in 4 and can be done while moving (slowly). You're more likely to have to replace the soft-top someday than the hard.

You can get a removable hard top and have a soft top! The convenience of a soft top in the summer with the backup hardtop (in case it gets slashed, but it probably won't) and the warmth/noize/visibility of a hard top in the winter.

Also worth noting that you can buy a computer that allows you to raise the PRHT while moving!

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
If you care about this sort of thing, the PRHT adds about 80lbs at the top of the car. That's the main reason I decided to go with the soft top.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001

Phone posted:

Cam seals were replaced and the caps were torqued down in the proper order when I removed the cam.

Right - not the caps, but the gear. The center 14mm bolt that runs into the cam.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It was torqued down to the right spec.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
NA - Does the water pump turn with engine speed? When pushing the car hard at 6K feet above sea level I get some engine temp needle movement, then if I let off reported temperature actually climbs. Racing the engine a bit brings temp back down.

e: probably a given come to think of it... meh dumb question ahoy

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 5, 2010

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Yes, there is a belt that runs from the crank to the water pump and alternator.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The miata cooling setup is actually really uncharacteristically dumb (but is overall perfectly capable of actually cooling the stock engine). I think one of the vendors selling the cooling reroute kit had a big page explaining it, but the main problem is the BP engine was designed to be transverse mounted and cooled from what we know as the 'back' as the engine. As is, most of the 'coldness' in the system is used up on cooling the front, and the rear is just circulating really-hot and a-little-less-hot water.

Seems like most people are happy with the re-route. I may do it in the spring...

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

destructo posted:

Yep, you can either replace the NA clockspring with one from the NB, or drill two small holes in the wheel (quite easy, which is what I did). You should be able to sell your NA wheel for $60-100 with the airbag which recoups a good chunk of the cost. I paid $120 shipped for my NB wheel

Was that $120 including airbag? I've been looking for some options to replace my beat and covered wheel but I have a little hangup with replacing it with a non-airbag wheel and removing a safety feature.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Never got a chance to do it on my NA but the coolant reroute seems like a good idea. If you need further cooling Flyin' Miata also sells a fan/shroud kit which is supposed to rape pretty hard.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Blackdawgg posted:

Was that $120 including airbag? I've been looking for some options to replace my beat and covered wheel but I have a little hangup with replacing it with a non-airbag wheel and removing a safety feature.

You can't hookup the NB airbag. So you will be losing it.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Ziploc posted:

You can't hookup the NB airbag. So you will be losing it.
Yes you can, the wiring is stupidly simple. And yes, the price was with the airbag.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Piano posted:

Miataturbo is just wierd.

Log Cabin Republicans.

Great info, though.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
Does anyone have tips for removing hail dents or know what a good price is for a replacement drivers side mirror? :smith:

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004

deafmute posted:

Does anyone have tips for removing hail dents or know what a good price is for a replacement drivers side mirror? :smith:

You in the Valley? Somehow I managed to avoid all the hail and only got rain while driving all over. My dad's Miata got hit, though. :(

At least we don't live in Bellemont!

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

GoblinBomb posted:

You in the Valley? Somehow I managed to avoid all the hail and only got rain while driving all over. My dad's Miata got hit, though. :(

At least we don't live in Bellemont!
Yeah, I'm in Phoenix. It dinged up the hood and trunk but the hardtop was somehow fine. Earlier in the day before all hell broke loose I had to drive through a few feet of water when everything was flooded and it handled that much better than I ever would have expected.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

deafmute posted:

Yeah, I'm in Phoenix. It dinged up the hood and trunk but the hardtop was somehow fine. Earlier in the day before all hell broke loose I had to drive through a few feet of water when everything was flooded and it handled that much better than I ever would have expected.
Well I guess the intake is called a snorkel for a reason :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

deafmute posted:

Yeah, I'm in Phoenix. It dinged up the hood and trunk but the hardtop was somehow fine.

It's not metal. (unless you're talking about an NC, then I have no idea)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

destructo posted:

Yes you can, the wiring is stupidly simple. And yes, the price was with the airbag.

Where did you find it that cheap?!?!!?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Blaise posted:

Where did you find it that cheap?!?!!?
Clubroadster.net. Just watch the For Sale section on CR and Miataturbo.. one will pop up eventually.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I've seen them for that cheap but also didn't know it was compatible.
I usually go to craiglook, type in 'miata', set to 250 miles, and click 'car parts' instead of cars. You can find a lot of random poo poo, some cool stuff, and every so often a great deal will come along. It's worthwhile to check it once a day... just bookmark the page...

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

Piano posted:

I've seen them for that cheap but also didn't know it was compatible.
I usually go to craiglook, type in 'miata', set to 250 miles, and click 'car parts' instead of cars. You can find a lot of random poo poo, some cool stuff, and every so often a great deal will come along. It's worthwhile to check it once a day... just bookmark the page...

That's how I picked up an engine, trans, diff, drive shaft, exhaust and ecu for $300

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

So my NA has a headlight out, and I'm going to use this as an excuse to upgrade the mediocre factory lighting. What are "the" lights to get these days that don't require messing around with the stock wiring? Are the Hella E-codes still the gold standard for NA lighting, and if so, where's the best place to pick up a pair?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Guinness posted:

So my NA has a headlight out, and I'm going to use this as an excuse to upgrade the mediocre factory lighting. What are "the" lights to get these days that don't require messing around with the stock wiring? Are the Hella E-codes still the gold standard for NA lighting, and if so, where's the best place to pick up a pair?

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=739

I had this page in my bookmarks, don't have any personal experience with them but I remember people recommending them. It was the best price at the time (few months ago...)

As far as the bulbs, I dunno. 100/80 might be pushing it in terms of annoying the poo poo out of other drivers.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I have the E-codes with 55/100 bulbs and they loving rule so hard.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I live in a city and do mostly city driving, so I don't really need OH MY GOD BRIGHT lights as far as low beams go, but having some gnarly high beams would be great. Would the 100/55 bulbs fit that bill? And they won't melt my stock wiring, will they?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Guinness posted:

I live in a city and do mostly city driving, so I don't really need OH MY GOD BRIGHT lights as far as low beams go, but having some gnarly high beams would be great. Would the 100/55 bulbs fit that bill? And they won't melt my stock wiring, will they?

The wiring should be fine. You can also just buy two pairs of bulbs. They're cheap ebough... some 'regular' 65/55 or whatever.

The main advantage of e-codes is how consistently and wide they throw light, it's a pretty big change over stock regardless of upgraded wattage.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Speaking of headlights, how do you adjust the NA lights outside of the knob that moves the whole "barn door" up and down? I put in Ecodes and one side is much lower than the other and I'd like to properly align them and still have my hood and headlights on the same plane.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are two screws that you can access without taking off the plastic covering. One does up-down, the other left-right.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Any suggestions on how to aim the e-codes? mine have been a bit high since I put them in and I can't think of a good way to get them "properly" adjusted. As in how high they should be set, I mean.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Any suggestions on how to aim the e-codes? mine have been a bit high since I put them in and I can't think of a good way to get them "properly" adjusted. As in how high they should be set, I mean.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Piano posted:

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=739

I had this page in my bookmarks, don't have any personal experience with them but I remember people recommending them. It was the best price at the time (few months ago...)

As far as the bulbs, I dunno. 100/80 might be pushing it in terms of annoying the poo poo out of other drivers.

Get the 100/80s. Trust me... the cutoff is sharp and it's still not as bright as the HIDs on OE cars now. These are actual undoctored photos I took of stock sealed beams vs 80/100 bulbs on Hella E codes from rallylights.com. BTW if you say you're a miata.net member you get a 10% discount (don't actually need to be).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/sealedbeam.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/hella.jpg

Again, same settings (full manual). It's a HUGE upgrade, no need to change wiring.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Piano posted:

I have the 80/100 and with the e-code cutoff they're perfectly fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

There are two screws that you can access without taking off the plastic covering. One does up-down, the other left-right.

Assuming they're behind the lights then by the motor then? I don't remember seeing them before, I'll have to poke around in there.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
So apparently taking a photo of my stock NC next to a cactus was enough to make my car the MIATA OF THE WEEK for Mazda, hahahaha. Very strict requirements for entering and winning I see---I might have been the only one to even upload a Miata on Flickr this week :X

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54347680@N04/5065472799/?utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

DreamOn13 posted:

Assuming they're behind the lights then by the motor then? I don't remember seeing them before, I'll have to poke around in there.
No, they're right in front of you when you're looking at the glass of the light itself. The things you're thinking of are the manual headlamp raise/lower knobs.

destructo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 12, 2010

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Blaise posted:

BTW if you say you're a miata.net member you get a 10% discount (don't actually need to be).

Can you do this online somehow?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Guinness posted:

Can you do this online somehow?

No their website isn't very good. Just call them - their customer support is excellent (real person, knows what you need, speaks english).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone got a sound clip of the NA n/a (:v:) flyin miata exhaust system? Youtube has some clips but didn't see one for a 1.8 with stock headers. Thanks...