Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You know what?

Not to poo poo in AI's collective Cheerios, but I finally got to drive the Fabled Miata today.

And I was left sorely dissapointed :(

It was an NA, forgot the year, and even with the seat adjusted as best I could, there wasn't even remotely close to the right amount of room for me. I was wrapped around the steering wheel and column. No problem, eh, I figured I would keep in mind the foam thing everyone kept talking about. Except for the fact I had enough head room. I simply wore the steering wheel. And the door panels. And the center console. I took it out on the road, and it just felt....meh. Hardly any get up and go. I'll bet it'll be fun to toss around in corners, but seriously, I'm just going to stick to my E30 vert for my convertible needs. It's got far more grunt (maybe it just seemed that way, at least compared to the car I drove), a way better exhaust note, far more useable interior room, the only difference is it's a 4 seater and not two.

Sorry, AI :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well, it was more I kept hearing about this golden child, and I finally got the option to drive it. I was expecting a lot more, to be honest. I don't doubt if I got the chance to throw it around it'd feel a lot lighter, because it is, but I'd be so cramped in the thing I wouldn't know where to begin. I think the overall ride would be so compromised by the lack of space that the couple seconds I may or may not be able to shave off of my theoretical lap time in a Miata just aren't worth it. No bones about it, I'm a big guy. And I don't really think I should have to flog an engine ALL the time to get it to perform.

Just means more Miatas for you guys.

Edit: I also wasn't talking about sheer straight line. I honestly feel my 325i handles decently. Or, 'well enough.'

Edit Edit: I guess I should say what I was expecting. Every time anyone says anything about a great car thats fun to drive and quick and light and this and that, it's always Miata miata miata miata miata. You guys make it sound like it's the best thing since having sex with sliced bread. So, of course I might go into it with a bit of an inflated opinion. I was just giving an outsiders view without some of the fanboyism, so that maybe I don't know.

You guys clearly like them. But it is a little 4 banger, and it's not exactly roomy. I'm not trying to say it's a bad car. Merely my views reading all the Miata hype, and how my drive lived up to that hype is all.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 22, 2007

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, I'm going to be checking this out for a Socal goon, and I need to know what I need to keep an eye out for.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/476155134.html

Trouble spots, things to check, what should I specifically look for. Give me a Miata Rundown, because it's not going to be my car, and I'm basically going to be the eyes and ears and rear end for a guy 300 miles away.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That car has the line, for some reason that picture doesn't show it.

I looked that car over top to bottom. The only flaws I could find anywhere on it were a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of peeling paint around the trunk lock and one fingernail sized scuff on the nose. That's it.

I'll upload pics for Amir tonight. I think he found his Miata.

I also take back what I said in here about Miatas not being fun to drive. The one I drove before was a beat down '91.

I fully and formally withdraw all prior statements.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I could find no evidence of body damage or collision damage. I drove it for a bit on streets, clutch felt good, no slippage. Tranny felt tighter than a ten year old, synchros were flawless in all gears. No fluids were leaking. Working on resizing pictures right now, since it appears Amir has all the body shots handled I'll just resize all the mechanically inclined ones and put them up.

Edit: The antenna doesn't retract, but according to him he's replacing that today. If he makes good on that, I see no need to penalize him on that.

Edit: These are just thrown up in my Photobucket. I'll probably just delete them later.

I can't guarantee something won't break down the line, but if I were in the market for a Miata, I'd put this as a strong contender. It felt like a very solid, straight car to me. I don't know anything about Miata pricing though, but the quality was there.

Scuff in circle

Tiny door ding

There ya go. Just trying to help a goon out.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 16, 2007

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well I got word over AIM last night that Amir got a plane ticket and he's flying out to buy the Miata today. I'm just really hoping I didn't miss something and he winds up not getting it for whatever reason. He was pretty picky over AIM about the things to check for, but it's totally understandable, trying to buy a car long distance and all. I'd be worried too.

Amir, I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you like it as much in person as I thought of it when I looked it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Aw, I thought you were going to call me when you were in town? That's a bummer, I wanted to go tooling around with you. At least you're happy with it. I was worried you were going to go through the trouble of flying all the way out here just to find something I missed and have to go home empty handed. Glad you found your Miata.