Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tactical Bonnet posted:

It's perfect.

It's easy to install too..shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. It's the first mod I made to each of my miatas. Unfortunately it didn't keep any of them from being totaled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Third Man posted:

How much foam did you remove? Did you just simply lop off an even hunk from the foam cushion, or is it more complicated than that?

If you cut from the underside of the foam, you'll see an appropriate sized hunk to cut where it bulges to fit the seatpan. It's a good starting point.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

threepac posted:

A Mazda 3

Kept our little affair all in the family

How old was the driver? I was rear-ended in all 3 of my Miatas by teenage girls. The '99 wasn't totaled out by it -- a teenage mother on her cell phone t-boned me trying to turn left at the bottom of a right merging off-ramp took that distinction.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

threepac posted:

That's why you have a jacket and a heater

Or a toque and a scarf

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I may be purchasing Miata #5 this week. I totally wasn't planning this, but I got a call from my buddy at the Mazda dealership and was offered a leftover '09 Grand Touring Manual w/soft top, premium package and suspension package for $22250. If I can break even or better on my Civic Hybrid I'm all over it.

Also, I think 0-60 in 6.5 sec can whip all 4-cylinder Camrys and at least equal the V/6s ones.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Gookistamano posted:

And don't do any weird poo poo in the interior. Goddamn kids these days.

Like baby poop orange leather upholstery?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Granite Octopus posted:

the gently caress? this has annoyed me greatly with my '99, but christ, a car built in 2009 without intermittent wipers?

Incidentally, is it at all possible to do the same trick and get intermittent wipers in my 99 (NA)? rx parts again perhaps?

They're intermittent...they're just not variable intermittent.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Welp, 2000 miles on the odo, 2 payments under my belt and I hit a pothole last night. Bent both passenger side rims but didn't do any other damage. Right at $400 to repair the two rims, rebalance and realign. At least they're going to polish off my curb scrape from trying to parallel park earlier in the month.

gently caress winter. gently caress Snow. gently caress Potholes.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Atomizer posted:

Wow, I've hit potholes (not terrible ones) all the time and never bent a rim. The only time I bent one was [in a previous car] when I actually slid into a curb in the Winter.

But yeah, seriously, gently caress Winter. I can't wait 'till mid-March; top goes off, wheels get swapped.

I've never bent one before either. I was on an unfamiliar road at night and was going around a left corner and hit it going about 40. The impact sounded horrible but the car didn't seem to drive any differently until I got back on the freeway. Starting at about 45 there was a vibration that wasn't there before. I checked the tire pressure and they were all at 30 psi.

I took it into the local tire shop first thing this morning, and they confirmed I had slightly bent the inside of both passenger side rims. The right front tire was about 10 degrees out of alignment (which isn't much) and both were out of balance. They referred me to a local shop that does rim repairs, and went ahead and realigned it and were able to rebalance the tires, but said I would probably still feel a little vibration. And sure enough, there is just a little vibration at highway speeds.

I'm just glad they can be repaired...it was going to be over $1500 to replace the two rims, balance and align. Of course I would have put in an insurance claim and been out $500. Calling the rim shop in the morning to see when they can work me in.

I never would have guessed '09 MX-5 wheels would be $695/each to replace, but I also didn't realize that they were uber-lightweight either. I think the tire guy said 15 lbs each.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 15, 2010

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mine are actually 17x7

Talk about retarded expensive, try replacing the BBS wheels that one of the NA special editions had...they run about $1200 each.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I pick up my car in the morning. My wallet is $600 lighter after a 3 days in a rental car, two repaired wheels, balancing and realigning. And it's supposed to be 50 degrees. The top is going down.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

spouse posted:

I always loved the look of miatas, never gotten to drive one. Is any one generation bigger on the inside than the others? I'm just thinking I might go find one and go for a test drive. I'm also 6'4" and 250 lbs. Don't be hatin, I'm not a fatty fat fat.

I'm 6'3" and 200#...the NC has been the first 'Miata' I have been able to get comfortable in. Just enough headroom, just enough legroom. My head put a noticable bulge in my NB and there wasn't nearly enough legroom in my NA.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

destructo posted:

brb, shortcut?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

brb, shortcut?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Moruitelda posted:

Wait, they don't all look like that?

Ain't that the truth...I gave up after I replaced 2 of them.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Guinness posted:

Very nice. Now that it's winter, I'm incredibly envious of your PRHT. Haters gonna hate, but since my Miata is a DD I'd kill for a PRHT.

What's up NC buddy?

Go ahead and budget for tires before you hit 15000 miles...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Guinness posted:

I actually have a 95M, but have given some consideration to buying an NC PRHT.

Well crap...I clicked the wrong post We do have something in common though -- I also cry when I masturbate

My '09 is MX-5 #4 for me...I had a '97, a '99, and an '02 prior.

I avoided the PRHT because it has fractionally less headroom...at 6'3" that fraction was kinda important. I also found it didn't really make any improvements in wind or road noise -- but it would come in handy living in a high crime area (which I do).

And it has eaten tires -- at least the OEM Bridgestones. I had the outer treads at the wear bars in 12000 miles and the inners at the bars by 14000 miles. Granted they only had a 140 wear rating, so I guess I hit that one on the nose. I just put new Continentals on last weekend -- still wearing the molding compound off and it's as cold as a witches tit right now, so I can't really tell how much performance I'm losing in getting a 50000 mile tire.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GoblinBomb posted:

Dang, that's really lovely life even for the OEM tires. I went at least 25,000 miles on mine, possibly 40,000 since I'm not sure if the first owner ever got new ones.

I would have been more upset if they didn't have such a low wear rating...I had never heard of Max Performance Summer tires until I bought this car. They were definitely grippy -- I couldn't make them squeal the first 10000 miles, even when sliding through corners.

I ended up getting Continental DWS all-seasons as replacements. I can tell I'm giving up some ultimate grip when pushed, but overall I'm pleased so far. I hope to have the car paid off before buying tires again.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mazda outdid themselves with the NC airbox. The latches are ridiculously hard to release. They are also sharp enough to slice and dice when they pop loose. Unlatched, you have just enough clearance to wiggle the old filter out and jam the new one in. If you're lucky you won't shred the filter or your fingers in the process.

They try to be helpful and put orientation labeling on the filter itself. Helpful except for the part where 'Front' = 'Front of the engine' not 'Front of the car'. Thankfully 'Up' is still 'Up'. Get the orientation wrong and the box won't latch together. Get it right and there's still a good chance it won't latch back together on your first 3 tries.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I bumped someone parallel parking. My big smiley '09 grille is now missing some of its teeth And it's $368 to replace

Oh well, I guess I'll be toothless for a while

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GD_American posted:

When I latch my top, I flip my visors up over them to keep the handles from popping back.

You haven't lived until your top decides to drop itself on a bump when it's pouring rain. The little retainer nubs on the latches had worn down, so I cranked up the tension screw thinking that would help. It only gave the top more momentum.

It's been years since I've had an NA/NB but at one time you could pick up a workable pair of used latches for $50 online.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone should do a wrap in the AT&T logo

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

grumplestiltzkin posted:

July 26-28th is the Miatas at the Gap event at Tail of the Dragon. I'm already on taking some vacation time and driving up from Florida. Any other AIgoons plan on going? Apparently last year there were over 400 Miatas spreading the faced love at the gap.

I'm planning to be there - but no Miata this year. It's always a good time!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

leica posted:

Thinking about going with black Rota Watanabe knock off wheels for solid blackness

Gonna tint the windows too. Too much black?

He should do the Ronal Teddybears

*ducks and runs*

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Miata pricing follows no known rules of economics. After I bought my Miata I started seeing shitloads of really ratty ones getting dumped for much less than I paid and all the really expensive garage queens dried up.

I saw one Miata that was asking $5000 get sold and then relisted by the new owner at $3000.

Confirming this. I bought my '09 GT new in Dec '09 for $23000. I sold it in Oct '11 with 24000 miles on it for $20000.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

leica posted:

Brake fluid went shooting out into the wheel well, splattering all over my face. Good thing I was wearing shades

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's gotten a brake fluid facial

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

dpidz0r posted:

Spotted near the beach yesterday:

It should see an orthodontist for its overbite

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Having owned a '97, '99, '02, and '09 MX-5 I can say without a doubt the surfboard seats in the '99-'00 are the worst put into an MX5. They're flat, thin, and not particularly supportive. A proper set of NA seats would be worth the effort.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

leica posted:

I'm not sure exactly which year they changed the NA seats, but when I bought Toolshack's '97 Miata and drove it home I thought the seats were terrible, and one of the first things I swapped from my '95 were the seats. Must be they changed them in 96 or 97, but the rear end pad is flatter with less cushioning and the bolsters on the back part aren't as supportive.

So basically the best seats are NA pre '96. I never sat in later NB seats so I'm not sure if those got any better.

The later NBs (01 and up) have slightly better bolstering but are still a bit thin and flat. I believe the weight of the seats is what drove the change in 96 and again in 99. In my opinion the best seats are the NC2, followed by the NC1, the NA1, the NA2, the NB2, then the NB1. The NCs are 8 hour seats. The NBs are 4 hour seats. The seats in my '97 were somewhere in between.

I don't think the NA or NB seats would provide much whiplash protection -- generally they're too far from the head/neck. The NB1s especially -- there's a reason they're called 'surfboards'. That's what they look like, and that's what they feel like. The NB2s place the headrests slightly further forward but not really enough to matter. The NCs scored a 'good' in the US rear crashtest evaluation.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Installing the top in a heated garage has helped me in the past. I imagine warming the top with a nearby space heater would be an effective substitution.

edit: drat autocorrect

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 26, 2013

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ziploc posted:

Has anyone here done the MazdaTribute/FordEscape washer nozzle upgrade? As usual, M.net is useless. Some people say it's a direct swap, others say they shoot over the whole car and need a regulator to tame them.

I'm interested in the outcome... The stock washers on both of my NBs would get me as wet as the windshield when the top or windows were down. My NAs and NC didn't have the head cleaning feature.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Is there another solution to fixing my seatbelt other than just replacing it? Ebay isn't helping, I'm only seeing passenger side parts.

What year / mileage? Sometimes safety gear has a longer warranty. The only problem I had with my 08 was with the driver's side retractor. It was replaced under warranty, and they installed a redesigned headrest loop.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

2006, 59K. I've found lots of answers that say after 50K you're boned.

The worst they can say is no, at this point. On mine, it wouldn't retract when I unbuckled but then it would lock up once it did retract, and I couldn't fasten it.

Hopefully you know where your leak is... I'd be more worried about that and any collateral damage it caused

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm not down on the 1.6 because that's all you could get those first few years. A Miata is better than no Miata.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

blk posted:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4370957073.html

Were seats like this ever an option on the NC?

They look like katzkins. No NC had factory two tone seats.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

blk posted:

I'm not familiar with those - how's quality, support/bolstering, etc compared to OEM?

Quality wise, they are as good as mainstream aftermarket gets. They tend to be a little thicker than OEM. The quality of install is equally important. If installed right there should be no difference in support/bolstering/wear.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

blk posted:

60k on the NC is just fluids and filters, right?

Yep - I was wrong in our earlier discussion

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf...s/06_MX5_MS.pdf

I'm scheduled to inspect it at 10am tomorrow.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sten Freak posted:

I drove my NA about 12 hours when I got it and it was fairly torturous, particularly the back pain and road noise (had a hardtop too).

That's part of the adventure

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Bovril Delight posted:

I've run the Continental ExtremeContact DW on another car, anyone have experience with those on an NC? The price is a lot nicer than putting another set of RE05A back on - $99/tire vs $177.

I ran a set of DW on my 08 w/sport suspension and highly recommend. They are very light weight, and grip extremely well wet or dry. Their drawback - they have soft sidewalls, so expect a hair more tuck in corners. It doesn't affect the overall performance, just an observation. On the plus side, you get a little better impact absorption and notably less road noise. In my opinion they're in the sweet spot of performance, comfort, and price for a NC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

And all Miata are awesome!

«4 »