Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone posted:

were you driving with the AC on?

e: amazing parking job

In fairness, it is a handicapped spot

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

From my experience, retrofitting a stubby never gives the performance as the original. But those that come from the factory with stubbies work just as well as those with mast.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I kick myself for selling my 10AE years ago.

As far as the 6-speed it's a mixed bag. It lowers the RPMs slightly at highway speeds, but means you have to slightly over-rev (which it will let you do) or grab 3rd to get to 60 mph. And the 1-2 shift is not as clean as on the 5-speed.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

My grandfather pre-ordered a (now my) miata, mid 89 production date. When he passed I got it. My parents discovered a box of his things, one documenting his pre-order and ownership/maintenance.
Anyway, there are a bunch of Miata magazines in it. Many many magazines. Anyone interested in these?

I'm always telling my wife that a Miata is practical, and see? You can take two of your friends, and their gear, skiing in a Miata. Miata is always the answer.

I'm interested and will pay shipping

Shoot me a PM

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Secretarily

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone posted:

On topic (or at least inline with the current thread title): is 1st and 2nd gear known to be kind of vague and sloppy on the NC 6-speed?

I've only test driven one NC2 recently, so my sample size of n=1 isn't great.

Having owned a 10AE, an '02 SE, and an' 08 GT with 6 speeds, I found 1 to 2 shifts in all 3 to be notably notchy, almost like I let the clutch out slightly too soon. It got better when I changed to the Ford ATX fluid as recommended at the pointy forums.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applesnots posted:

I am new to this whole miata thing, just bought one after years of lusting after one. I think I did ok.

I call it Lil' Beefy.

Ed: I will probs have lots of questions in the coming weeks for you kind folk.

Lil' Beefy deserves to be on this page too. He's just great :kimchi:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Is it something that has happened recently, or after the bushing change? When you pulled the shifter to do the bushing, was the car in neutral or in gear?

I haven't owned an NA/NB in about 10 years, so going off sheer memory but I seem to remember something about the car being in neutral and that you could install the shifter backwards if you didn't pay attention. Either of those would cause shift problems. As would a broken boot or bushing.

Hoping someone with more recent experience will chine in and help you!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I did the bushing back in October, and it ran problem-free until Saturday. It's got a date with a mechanic on Thursday. Thanks though!

I did think about a broken boot or bushing, but even before I did the change, when the shifter was flopping around, I never had any trouble finding gears if I took it slow. This felt different enough for me to gamble that disassembling the shifter to check it out would just be an hour's wasted work before I drove to the shop anyway. Edit: Given the age of the car and signs that previous owners were excessively trusting, I'm thinking that if the shop does need to drop the transmission to check it out, I'll probably ask them to put a new clutch in there. Both mechanics on Wheeler Dealers have suggested that if you're going to pull it, you may as well do the clutch while you're at it, and if I can't trust Edd, what's left in life?

How did your date go?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That's...odd. Those bolts shouldn't loosen themselves.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't really understand how the tailshaft bolts loosening caused the problem or how it happened. The garage also mentioned a missing gasket. Just missing. Sigh. I believe I'm the fourth owner of the car, and I know for a fact that the previous owner was a nice guy who didn't quite understand his relationship with his mechanic. His mindset was "if I perform all the work my mechanic recommends, the car is properly maintained." The mechanic seems to have been thinking, "I will keep the owner from being stuck on the roadside, and if he wants other work done, he'll let me know." Thus, it came to me with crap shifter bushings, horrible wear on the top latches, mismatched lug nuts, and who knows what else. I'm perpetually torn between "it just needs to run for a few years while I save for an ND" and "I can't stand x crappy aspect of the car and I must find a way to fix it regardless."

I like your first option. It's the double edge of the NA/NB - they're fairly easy to work on, which means finding one that has been wrenched on properly is getting harder. I'm guilty of improper wrenching when I had mine, but I learned a lot and it was when parts were easier to find.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I went through windshields about every 3 years with my NA/NB/NCs. Thin glass for lightness and close to the ground = consumable item.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hey Applesnots, can we get a Lil' Beefy update?

He's just so drat cute!

:kimchi:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You took the shortcut again?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A MIRACLE posted:

I’ve carried 88 key piano in an ND and a 72 in a NA

I've stacked an entire dining room set on/in an NA. Granted I was just moving across the street. They're quite versatile. :haw:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applesnots posted:

I just tossed a free cello in my miata and it fit just fine.

Lil' Beefy is a treasure :kimchi:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I really miss a good bright blue like the 10ae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Jonny 290 posted:

Am I out of my skull for considering a staggered setup with the x9's in the back and x8 front?

I think it'd look so good with the fat ND booty.

I'd have to figure out spacers or something i think.

May I recommend the teddy bear ronals instead?