Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just got offered a fully restored 1979 rx-7 that's probably in the best shape of any rx-7 I've ever seen from a friend in a Mercedes dealer. It's pretty much as if it just warped into 2008 from 1979. Anyways, I don't know anything about mazdas and from what I can tell, it looks a little slow.. what do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

n8r posted:

I've owned one, they are fun old cars, I guess my question is do you really want one? They are reliable but get quite terrible gas mileage, you'll be looking at 15ish mixed I imagine. I owned one that had 280k miles on the chassis, and it made it 220k on the first engine. Overall, it was still in very good condition.

The aftermarket is great for the cars, and replacement parts can be found cheaply through junkyards and rx7 forums.

I think they are fun cars to drive, they handle well for what they are, and the rotary engine is like nothing else.

I could really care less about gas mileage. I'll probably regret that later, but I really just don't care. I'm not commuting anywhere. My only concern is that I won't have a garage.

How well does it drive with that little engine?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

After nearly buying an elise, I'm thinking I want to get a sports coupe I can actually drive everyday.

I have a few general questions. 2006-2008 mazdaspeeds, are they worth it over the regular 5 speeds? Ideally, I'm spending between 10 to 15k on this.

Do they make any third gen MX-5s without power steering? (The lotus didn't have power steering and it was awesome)

Any common problems to check for in the year range I mentioned?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

blk posted:

As someone who wants to buy an Elise in the future, why'd you change your mind?

Also, there wasn't a Mazdaspeed Miata from 2006-2008 AFAIK. I think it was a strictly 2004-05 (NB, second generation) thing.

Well, I was getting an excellent deal which turned into a bad deal. Upon looking for more elises, most of them run 28K or more in the condition I would want, and that's just too much for a car I would be too tempted to put miles on and ruin the investment.

They are awesome though man, the best car I have ever driven. I hope to buy one later in life.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I bought a 2008 Sport with 31,000 miles on it

:laffo: another goon makes a poor decision

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 2, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

televiper posted:

Your only poor decision was considering an Elise :colbert:

Also, possibly not getting a 6-speed, but that's debatable.

I was so content in this car, the extra gear seemed extraneous to me with this engine. I dunno though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My new 08 miata is amazing, but there is no sound coming out of the back speaker panels. Are there actually possibly shorted out speakers in there or was that an option? Anybody thrown together a cheap aux in port?

Also

can I supercharge this car

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phone posted:

like how many tires am I going to ruin doing this... nevermind, I have to.. I have to

one day in and I now think it should be illegal to not own a RWD roadster

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Looks like I need an extra pair of tires and an extra miata as well

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

any quick recommendations on snow tires? My set that came with the car (only owned it since july) as I just found out, were stolen. I'm really not used to buying snow tires and/or snow tires for rear wheel drive sports cars which is why I ask. I've got an 08 sport and the poor thing is going to have to live through a vermont winter with me.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 30, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Altimax Arctic with studs, if you can swing it.

Interesting. They were blizzaks that got stolen from a garage, and the owner has agreed to pay for anything up to another set of blizzaks. I'm seeing now the only comparable replacement is these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS80&partnum=055HR6WS80&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

$496 for a set, which is $100 more expensive than the Altimax Arctics, but no studs. does the extra money in this case signify the blizzaks are better tires?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I decided to go with the studless blizzaks but I need a set of wheels too. Unfortunately I can't find anything on tirerack that look appealing... any suggestions?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...=All&sort=Brand

Here's an image of the car with its oem wheels and summer tires

I think a matte black set might look nice in the winter time

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phone posted:

RPF1s, baby.

E: buy some steelies and spray paint them forest green. Christmas Miata, dude.

steelies seem so expensive and also ugly i might as well just buy cheap alloys

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that looks amazing but I'm not sure if it would have the same effect on an 08. also if I actually put green painted steelies on the miata my dad might murder me when I show up for xmas

Edit: just noticed I have to pay an extra $200 for the tire pressure sensors... at this point I think it might be better to swap the tires off the oem rims.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 2, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Edmund Honda posted:

Judging by the average high/low temps on wikipedia you're going to be running these winter tyres for probably 4-5 months out of the year? I personally bought cheaper heavy wheels because the winter isn't as long here, but if they're going to be on the car that much, it'd make sense to buy something that looks nice and doesn't compromise the handling.

The lightest wheel on tirerack (kosei k4r, by a distance) looks alright?

those actually look better on the car then I thought, I'll check them out again, thanks

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

speaking of ignorant miata owners, one thing I regret is not getting a touring model for the LSD. would it be possible/feasible to swap the open diff for an LSD on a 5 speed nc? it's a bit harder to google this than I thought, coming from a wrangler where everybody and their mother is talking about their diff swap

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

High Protein posted:

Hi, I'm looking at maybe picking up a Miata for when my motorcycle isn't practical. Now I saw this one, and I wonder what yall's hunch is: tastefully modified or riced shitheap? The price is right and it comes with a hardtop.
Auction site doesn't have detailed specs but just from looking at the pics there's a lowered supension (guess it depends on the quality of the work/components), roll bar, spoiler, wheels, exhaust tips, blue gauge faces and what looks like a recolored interior. Personally I don't mind any of these mods and it maybe looks like someone just felt like picking up a ton of easy to stick on stuff but the interior and gauges make me feel some trepidation. At least the engine bay looks stock...

Nice side profile, and a unique looking car, but I wouldn't buy that, it looks ridiculous, and personally I think you're crazy to not mind the mods. It's easy to say that now but in six months when you notice all the weird ways the mods are affecting your quality of life, you'll regret not buying a stock miata, also for the clarity of mind that the mods are not there and not going to be a problem. Just get a stock miata, dude, or at least don't get one that looks like it belongs in the fast in furious 1. I just see that push button start and think whyyyy, (if that is a push button start) and it will probably break

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 22, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've been driving my miata around in the vermont snow with blizzaks and holy poo poo it may be a world better than the summers but a little extra throttle and I face down death and/or become a drifting champion. It still feels perfectly safe though since regaining grip is as easy as letting off the gas and the car snaps in. I love this car but I may be dead soon

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

what does that little red button do?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Looks like I'm a miata owner now. 94 m-edition, 140k miles. Slight grind into fifth gear if I do it too fast but otherwise everything else is great!

Coming from driving automatic sedans my whole life, this thing is incredible.

Man, my jealousy for the California environment increases tenfold every time I see a car with this many miles look this good. nice pick, although I would personally try to get rid of that gold

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Taco Box posted:

It was a comfortable and super useful car and I miss it a lot. My NC is a fun car and drives very athletically, but sometimes I wish I could just kinda...relax. I feel like I'm wasting such a nice car in a stop&go commute every day.

Well, I don't think the miata is uncomfortable, but it's certainly not useful. I mean, uncomfortable to me is when I drove the Lotus Elise before picking the miata. Holy poo poo. That was the definition of discomfort. Totally worth it though if you have 30k lying around for a track toy.
When's the last time you drove another car? I had this happen all the time in my jeep, I would get super tired of it until I drove a 'normal' car, then I would hop back in the jeep and feel like I was driving something quite special. I haven't owned the miata quite long enough to get sick of it yet.

GOD IS BED posted:

I also mostly drive in stop and go traffic, so I get the idea of "wasting" the car in such pedestrian driving, but then I remember "it's just a drat Miata! gently caress it!" I think I could only trade my Miata for a Porsche, and that would definitely be a waste in my commute.

Same, except instead of traffic, I have salt and snow. Just have to remember, this car was about the same price as a civic. Still, I wouldn't trade this car for anything right now except maybe, just maybe, a cheaper miata+a cheap pickup (both of which I could be much more punishing on) instead of one newer miata as my DD.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

destructo posted:

I also own an E46 (330i sport package mt). My only gripe with it is that its too quiet and every little squeak or rattle drives me insane. My first miata sounds like a vacuum under part throttle and a jet engine under full throttle. I couldn't deal with it as a daily, but I never fell out with it.

My other two Miatas are broken. Here's one before it was broken.

this miata is so masculine it should be called a miato

I'll stop now

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

There's one other nc owner in my town I've met with a silver miata, whenever I see him, he's always hypermiling. On the flipside, literally every-time I've seen that miata, it is spotless and its silver color looks absolutely amazing. It's winter mind you, and I can't even make it back from the car wash without getting a fresh salt stain in vermont. I dunno how on earth he does it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dumb question but do you NC guys ever get a squeaky belt only in the cold? Can I just spray this sucker with prestone?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Every car I've ever had do this needed either the belt to be adjusted (usually was loose) or replaced. How old are your belts?

Don't actually know, I'd assume they're as old as the car (36,000 miles)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nocheez posted:

How old is it, and what kind of climate does it see?

2008 that came from florida to Connecticut in 2011 and I'm the rear end in a top hat who brought it to vermont eight months ago

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

He just ran into you? So is the city going to pay for that? doesn't look too bad. Can't believe your terrible luck though

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm in love with the nd. I'm already cooking up stupid ways to get the new miata in 2018 or 2020 after my current miata hits ten years old and I'm one of those poors who normally buys used so this includes reshaping my life to afford one

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think I just broke my mx-5 windshield by using the defroster? Cheap glass?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You could be like me and find your summer tires were under that 6 foot pile of snow that just melted

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Konrad posted:

Are Elise seats well regarded or does one need to get Sparcos or something similar?

I've never been in sparcos but the elise I sat in was like sitting on two sheets of plywood

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I sat in these.

which you can see are extremely thin but sitting down in them my friend and I laughed about how there really was no padding on them. Now the lotus was amazing of course, but driving around and hitting bumps on streets, being honest, it was awful for daily driving, and I mean truly awful. Granted however that lotus had a way stiffer suspension than my NC but those seats just did squat to help.

I'd wager the reason you see more elise seats than elises is because so many elise drivers replace them with something better

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 24, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Probably not too surprising. The Club (or whatever it was) had it stock but not on the GT unless you ticked the suspension package option. Some cars, like the Genesis coupe, do a similar thing. It would suck though to miss out on creature comforts because you want a LSD.

I don't understand how you can consider making a sports car in 2016 without a LSD unless you've got TCS doing the job instead. I guess it's purely to save money on the miata buyers who don't know what an LSD is

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Aren't there lots of sports cars that don't have LSDs? GTI, Elise, Focus ST?

I guess the advantages of such an LSD are questionable at best on the track when you're talking about low torque sports cars. Lotus for example doesn't put slip control in the light lower powered elise because it doesn't need one....step it up to the more powerful exige and lotus puts in TCS. but in terms of the cheap daily driving rwd cars I would definitely be happier with some sort of slip control on my next one for road conditions

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'll get traction control on anything remotely modern in the US market at least, it's been a federal requirement for a few years now.

Ah I guess I just missed that law with my 08.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Someone convince me not to sell my miata. I want to trade up to a small truck + motorcycle

If you can't afford all three, you don't deserve a motorcycle

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got back home just in time to see my neighbor using a crane to drop half his god drat burned out roof thirty feet away from my driveway. A good portion of it hit his dumpster lid and basically exploded into shrapnel I'm afraid to look at the other side of my miata. god bless the USA

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

maybe he's building a miata piece by piece and he got a discount on that trunk because it has a giant gently caress off spoiler stuck on it

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I really have pop up headlight envy right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So the LSD goes on the club only? Is it still Sport < GT < Club?