Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Was browsing craigslists of neighboring small cities and ran across a NA for sale but with a very vague description and no pictures. It's listed for $2k with a hard top, so pretty much it's ~$1300 worst case scenario, with 125k miles. The kicker is that it's listed as "green" and "limited edition" so I can only assume it's the BRG. There were no other editions whatsoever for 1991, correct? Not going to get my hopes up really but this could be quite the steal. It's probably a beat up piece of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

And I thought I knew a lot about miatas....

I'm still shopping for a NA via craigslist, having to wade through awesome posts that say nothing but "BLUE CONVERTABLE. HAS CD PLAYER. NO EMAILS. CALL ME".

I also have to spot the packages and special editions just by looking at grainy pictures and vague descriptions, which I need help with- correct me on anything I'm getting wrong:

Leather Seats: Indicative of nothing performance wise(?)
Wooden shift knob and parking brake handle: Special Edition, LSD, better wheels etc...
M edition badge next to the front wheel well is, obviously, M edition- is there anything else directly indicative of it?
The little rear lip spoiler is the R, but sometimes I see a spoiler that is actually off the car with the three posts, I'm assuming that's just aftermarket? Also is the little spoiler only on the R package?

And as far as wheels go, is it generally BBS>Daisy>whatever>steelies?

But yeah gently caress everything about craigslist except the prices.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Not sure if posts like this are cool or not but I am still looking for a decent unmolested NA in the mid-atlantic region if any goons are trying to sell one. Nothing too crazy nice, my budget is only $3000-3500ish. My best case scenario preference is a black 1.8 with any LSD package, but I'd be interested in anything. Thanks dawgs.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 9, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I may just end up buying from that funcarsforsale guy, seems to get a lot of good reviews and always has a few cheaper ones around. But it would be a ~20 hour drive home, which I don't really mind but it could end up being a bad situation if something broke on the way.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

So, my girly is looking into getting a Miata.

There's a nice silver NB ('01) at the local dealership with 60k for around $9000.

Decent price? Her POS Buick gets $5k there, I figure her getting a 5 year loan to build credit is a good idea.

How do the NB's compare to the NA's? I personally prefer the NA's (hidden headlights rule).

There's a NB at the carmax near me I happened to see with almost the exact same specs, with the same price. And if you didn't know, carmax has almost comically distorted high prices on everything. Butttt that could be okay if it is in very good condition. I see 99s(first NB year) all the time for about half that, private sale wise. But avoid 99s and 00s as they have the potential thrust bearing failure. That mileage is pretty low, but I don't know if it's worth more than 7k.

Have also seen some early NCs start to dip down into the 12k area, something to keep in mind. The NC is a truly a great car although it really is very different than the former generations. The NA and the NB are similar but they added/changed a lot of things in the NB to overall make the car more comfortable. You "feel the road" a lot less. That being a good or bad thing is up to you, really.

I hope this doesn't sound too sexist or whatever but I think a girl would prefer the NB. But that may be just because I don't know any girls who like to really throw their cars around.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Found a picture of some dinosaurs having sex with a miata. Enjoy?

Thumbnail is pretty SFW, actual picture not so much.

Click here for the full 1602x1209 image.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

What do you guys think of this headunit from a purely "goes well with the car" (NA with black trim) perspective?

It's pretty much either that one or take this out of my other car:

Which is actually a functionally great unit, and was relatively expensive when I got it new a few years back, and while it's pretty classy looking in comparison to the rest of the car stereo world, it's still pretty god drat silly looking.

Don't really give a poo poo about anything except ipod connectivity and not looking like a spaceship exploded on my console.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

DreamOn13 posted:

What's the model of this one? I like it and need something like that in the future. I removed my antenna because it looked stupid and only have the stock tape player.

Found them on this website, may be cheaper elsewhere:
$110 here or $120 with the ipod cable which is $20 by itself on the same store.

Pretty cheap overall but never heard of this brand, it may be really crappy.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Random question but the NA more or less roomy than an s2000? I've driven both but can't remember in particular.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

My buddy is too :btroll: to be comfortable in an s2k so I guess I'll take another car for our little road trip.

Also ran into some dude today driving a silver 92(?). He was like completely uninterested in the car. It was pretty bad looking. I guess that's to be expected but it really doesn't take much work/money to keep a miata looking decent.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

A part of the plastic snapped on my interior door handle, driver's side. Should I go oem for the replacement or is there something aftermarket particularly better (and not chrome)?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Mezmerized Machine posted:

Anyone know where to find some stock miata wheels for sale other than craigslist?

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=334

Hilarious prices, though, compared to the usual craigslist stuff.

Don't think NA wheels are around anywhere.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

NA raceland coilovers came back in stock today if anyone cares.

$240, probably right at $300 shipped.

edit: not implying they are good or bad.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 16, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Today I heard a rattle in my dashboard(?) and I can't figure out what exactly it is causing it. I think it's coming from the right side of the gauge hood, above the keys. Only rattles above 50mph-ish... difficult to inspect it at that speed... Anyone ever have this before wanna tell me what it was so I don't kill myself trying to find it?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I was looking into it earlier.

I think what you need is
The Large Boot
The Small Boot
This "lever" (maybe? no?)
These
and This thing

$84 for it all from that particular dealer.

I couldn't figure out if I actually need this stuff. Never driven another miata so I have nothing to compare it to. I would love s2000esque shifting but I don't know how close you can get to that.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Just spent 2 hours looking for the OBDII port on my 96. That's two hours of contorting my body backwards to look up underneath the dash. The PO broke off the connector and decided to shove it way up in the back of the center console and be done with it :psyduck:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'm not sure but in my experience there are two of most sensors, one that goes to the ecu and one that controls something mechanical.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

ChiliMac posted:

My shifter bushing has obviously shat itself recently. Where is the best place to pick up a new one and what else should I pick up with it? Is it something I can get locally (for a price more reasonable than online + shipping)?

I'm thinking at least getting new rubber boots but I didn't know if there were other pieces I should consider replacing simultaneously.

Quoting myself from a few pages back:

That's the full shifter rebuild kit, as far as I could tell. Disclaimer: haven't personally done this yet. Chance the parts may be incorrect.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

What is going on with your bumper texture btw?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I've never personally done it but I heard a trick that involves cutting the old belt in the middle lengthwise all the way around, slipping off the front half, putting on the new belt half way, snipping off whats left of the old one and slipping the new one all the way on. Actually ends up being more work I'm sure but it sounds 100% idiot-proof.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

crutt posted:

Well it hit 106* and the miata started overheating when I had the AC on. New waterpump/timing belt/etc was done like 2 months ago. Anyone know where I should start? also: are coolant re-route kits a waste?

Radiator cap. Even if it looks perfectly fine get a new one anyway and check it off the list, it's like $7 for a good one from napa.

edit: If that doesn't fix it, put the car up on ramps/jacks, take off the undertray, turn it on and just look for drips. I literally just went through this whole situation a week ago so just let me know if you need more help. I ended up having a hidden(?) crack/weep on the bottom seam of the radiator. Also be aware that some leaks don't occur until the coolant is pressurized enough, so let it get up to normal operating temp (190*f-ish).

How old is your car? What's the color of the plastic on the radiator? The stock radiator is great but ~15 year old plastic is 15 year old plastic.

Some people put ultraviolet dye in the system and then look over the engine compartment with a blacklight, which seems like a pretty nice way to check things.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 3, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I need to be talked into(/out of) buying a hard top. I really want one and also know that I really don't need one at all. Can anyone chime in with the not-so-apparent pros/cons? Just for reference I'm perfectly happy with the idea of running the hard top year round. I am probably one of the only miata owners who could care less about convertibility(if that is a word).

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I have the "CSF racing" all metal one from Radiatorbarn. It's heavier than stock but not heavy-heavy by any means.

They used to have a stock replacement one with plastic ends that I believe was sourced from Koyo that a lot of people were happy with but they weren't selling it at the time I ordered.

But yeah, I almost never go over 190*f with it (after the thermostat opens), usually staying right at 185 even in way hot weather with ac blasting. Not sure what the stock one in perfect working order even runs at but it was a big improvement over my sort-of broken stock one.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Can't just use a deep socket? Is it that close on the top?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Whenever people would talk about not using the stereo and just listening to the exhaust, I used to always go "hah that's pretty stupid" but I catch myself being content just driving along with the stereo off all the time.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

sorry if repost.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

DreamOn13 posted:

How does that work? I see it takes USB but don't you need something else to plug into that to actually play music? Forgive me, I am dumb when it comes to car audio. Or any audio for that matter.

It's intended for ipods or any mp3 player, or a phone too. The usb port is just for charging, I think it can't read data, correct me if I'm wrong, and you just take a RCA (red and white plugs) to 1/8th (headphone type connector) and plug in your ipod.

gently caress, I might get one too. I knew they were available but didn't know they had usb charging and didn't cost anything at all.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

RapeWhistle posted:

I may be able to get a good deal on 90s miata with a hard top already installed. For track car purposes, is there anything wrong with the hard tops that clamp on?

(I'm not sure if there are other kinds of hard tops)

All the hardtops are pretty much the same, yeah. Just slight variations and some have defrosters.

They are good to have and I believe are still required for spec miata racing series.

Hardtops don't offer great rollover protection compared to a roll bar, but they will stiffen up the car a little and, as far as I know, make it a bit more aerodynamic. It's not even that much heavier than a soft top, 15lbs difference or something(?).

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Is it worth upgrading suspension bits if the car won't see autocross or should I stay stock when I go to replace them? I'm just starting to get interested in modifying things, what's the first few things that people start with(easiest to do)?

Suspension setups vary a lot and it depends on what you prefer, really. Softer suspension obviously is more comfortable to daily drive, likewise autocross preferred setups will be pretty stiff. If we're talking strictly coilovers, I don't think many people at all get stock replacements besides whatever was on the R package. I don't know if anyone even sells them(?). As far as I know, the aftermarket stuff is vastly better. Even the lower cost stuff- raceland, vmaxx, etc, is reported to be at least marginally better than stock.

If you happen to have a 96 or 97, I'd get some adjustable-s. I'm no HELLAFLUSH guy but the stock wheel gap on the 96/97 is downright silly.

Intake/Exhaust stuff is another popular thing people seem to change first. Not too difficult.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Put the top down today going 60mph. Undid left latch, undid right latch and was going to try to lower it down slowly, but nope, the second I unlatched it, it went FWOOSH and went down in a split second.

Put on my best :smug: face as I passed by the people who saw it. Totally meant to do that.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

Speaking of turbos, is there a setup that is CARB-legal, apart from FM II?

Manufacturer Name: Brodie Brittain Racing
Device: Miata MX-5 Turbo Kit
Device Type: Turbocharger System / Turbocharger Modification
Part_Number: Model_Specification: Modification_Allowed: Remarks:
1990-1993 Mazda Miata with 1.6L gasoline engines

Manufacturer Name: Bell Engineering Group, Inc.
Device: IHI & Aerodyne Turbocharger Kits
1990-1993 Mazda Miatas with 1.6L gasoline engines

Manufacturer Name: Bell Engineering Group, Inc.
Device: Mazda Turbocharger Kit
1994 through 1999 Mazda Miatas

Manufacturer Name: Greddy Performance Products, Inc.
Device: Mazda Miata Turbo Kit
1990 - 1993 1.6L Mazda Miata EXCEPT those equipped with ABS.

There may be more.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 3, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

aventari posted:

Check engine light question. OBD2 noob here.

My 99 just got a check engine light the other day that hasn't gone away. It doesn't drive any differently and I don't hear/feel any misses, the plugs look good, etc. No exhaust leaks and I unscrewed and rescrewed in the gas cap.

Should I unplug the battery and plug it in again? Does that even work on OBD2 cars?

How can I get the code out without a reader? Is there any places in SoCal that read codes for free anymore?

The car has cut stock airbox (with paper filter), Raceland header with relocated o2's, and ebay muffler. I've been running for mods for thousands of miles without issue so I don't think it's them.

Not sure about 99s but on a 96(also obd2), if you just unplug and replug the ecu, it will clear all, you know, temporary codes. Slightly easier than unplugging the battery, perhaps. Not sure where the ecu is on a 99, i think they moved it from behind the passenger seat on the NB.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

High five, broken off dip stick handle buddy!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Went through a drive through for the first time in the miata (I almost never eat fast food). The bottom of the pick-up window started about 3 inches higher than my roofline.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Random ebay find: custom sunroof'ed hardtop

Waffleimages down, sorry if pic dies.

Looks pretty classy.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I've been following that guy doing the 2jz swap.

It's a shame that engine is just plain way too tall. It's gonna look pretty silly in the end.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Is there a supplier in the UK?

Pretty sure when you order stuff from begi it takes a month to ship anyway so a few more days to make it overseas isn't a big deal, heh.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

$450 white hardtop in florida. I'm too far away but would rather see a goon snatch this. It's buy it now so someone grab it.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Cool article on speedhunters today featuring some impressive miatas and rx'es.

edit: link died and fixed wtfx

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

And part 2 from today.

There's one nb :v:

This color scheme is loving rad

Sup kevlar

Oh, japan, never change...