Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Hello thread. I've never posted much in AI but I'm putting this post down to bookmark this thread as I'll be picking up a 2016 ND MX 5 2.0 this week (or Monday.)

I'm not planning to do much to it (does everyone say that?) except maybe a fatter steering wheel, but I'm looking forward to catching up on the thread and picking the bugs out of my teeth.

At the moment, I do the fun/practical jobs with two different cars -

Both of those are going, and the Mazda is the "fun" part of the replacements. I'm looking forward to picking up the keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you. The C63 has been fun, but there are times when I'm behind the wheel that I feel vertiginous, or as if I'm on thin ice. Not just the performance (although in the wet it's a handful) but the... complexity? The weight of things that could possibly go wrong.

I've tried it, and I'm going simpler. New family wagon ordered, ND 2.0 to be picked up tomorrow afternoon. Pics to follow.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Very different! The Kia has been the perfect foil for the C63.

I knew the Mercedes would be expensive to fuel when I bought it, but sub 15 (Imperial) mpg around town was unsustainable. It also made me wince every time I ran the big 4.0 Biturbo without giving it time to get to the operating temperature.

The Kia was the solution to that problem, and to be fair, it was a perfect answer to the question, "What's the simplest, most reliable car for an old lady to take to the shops once a week?"

But every time I filled the Kia I did the maths on how much those miles would have cost me in the C63, and without exaggeration, every time I put £40 in the blue car, it saved me £80 on doing the urban miles in Moby Dick.

Anyway, getting off-topic of Miatas. Photos tomorrow.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Well, as promised. (That's not me - it's my father-in-law, who enjoys sitting in new cars and bothering salespeople.)

This model should, I think, have a black interior, but it was swapped out and put into another (more regular) customer's car, leaving me with the brown leather, which I much prefer.

Very happy with it. Now, how long before I start changing things?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you. Now to read the manual and decipher the radio. It's got Bluetooth, so at least I can catch up on my Roman history as I blat around Warwickshire's leafy lanes.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I like the idea of being "sick".

Am I now in a gang? Leaving Tesco's car park today an NB, I think, was coming in, and he waved at me, and I gave a thumbs up.

Also, last week, I drove in behind this amazing-coloured NA.

I was going to compliment the driver on their choice of colour, but they were much younger and prettier than me, and I didn't want to be a creeper.

Two big bags of shopping, easy. I think I'm going to like this car.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You'll also sometimes come out of the shop to find another MX5 sat next to yours, sometimes more :3:

Already looking forward to this.

Just had to drop my daughter off at school, and accidentally went on a five-mile drive with the roof down. Got flashed by an NC. <3

Now going to the tip with a poo poo-load of rubbish and recycling. I think I'll use the other car...

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Is the 3rd generation soft top going to give me about an inch on the roof height? Is there any hope for a Miata for my Giant body.

I'll have a look at my headroom tomorrow in my ND, but I'm an easy 6'1" and 190lbs, and I can nearly get very comfortable in my car. Don't get me wrong - I'm comfortable - but a telescoping steering column would help. I've certainly not felt enclosed above my head, but I'll be honest, I've barely driven it roof-up since I've got it.

Try to find one to test drive, and sit in it.

Edit - just did the maths and I'm 200 lbs. :(

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I'vd had my ND for a month now, and I'm thrilled with it.

(I know it needs a clean, give me a minute.)

Pros.
- It's such a pleasure to drive, it really is. I know that's a Duh thing for most of you, but my only other experience with an MX-5 was twenty or so years ago, and an NA. This is just... so much fun. I find myself looking for excuses to drive, or extending drives I'm already on. I love it.
- it's so nice to have the roof down all the time. I only really raise the roof for motorway/freeway work - apart from that, it's roof down, all the time.
- I got 45mpg on a mixed two hour drive last week, and that's twice what I used to get in my C63.
- I find it very comfortable, and snug, especially in colder weather. Heated seats on, heating on - it's great.

Cons.
- I've not quite worked out the keyless entry yet, and it often takes me a couple of goes to unlock the car for myself and the passenger. I'll read the manual sometime.
- the rearview mirror sits in my line of sight. My fault for being 6'1", but there you go.
- the infotainment is a bit sluggish, and slow to react. I don't bother with the navigation, but the digital radio is clear and loud, and I love the Bose speakers in the seat headrests.

10/10 would buy again.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Is the mirror arm double articulated? This is an option, pricey though:

https://rev9autosport.com/zoom-compact-retro-rear-view-mirror.html

A mirror from a vintage British car or aircooled VW might work.

You're right - it's pricey - but it's something to investigate, as is your suggestion that I try something vintage. Thank you.

Virgil Vox posted:

Caught a rabbit and not the VW kind

Bad luck. RIP rabbit.

Dumb thing to say, but since I've got my ND, I've been going for drives in the countryside, and I've seen/heard/smelt so many critters. I love it.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

OK, so, some baseline statements:

* I want a white miata RF
* I can and will be paying cash
* I am terrified of dealers and their loving shenanigans. I am awful at poker.

What is my approach to get the best prices on a ND? Should I play dumb and slow when they quote me a price (assuming some stupid 15% interest on their side) and then be all "sounds good i'll have a check here tomorrow" and then fight it out? This is so adversarial. I hate dealers. I got owned hard on a Subaru and don't want to get hosed again.

Buying a car in America (???) sounds awful. Are the prices not listed on the windshield? Or is that base price, before all the bullshit gets loaded? As Toe Rag said, a polite "No thank you" should get you a long way.

Yesterday I took my ND out for a drive for the first time in a week or so. (I've been away.) It was a beautiful day, and while it was just my regular 20-minute roundtrip, it really invigorated me. Sounds sappy, I know, but I came back smiling.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
A 10" pianist?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I went for a drive at lunchtime today. Simple stuff, just a 20-minute loop through little lanes nearby. And I absolutely loved it. The car felt good, I felt like I was nailing the heel and toeing, the day was cool and bright. Just...

(I'm sure I've stopped at this point and taken a pic before.)

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I'll take a video tomorrow (or when I do this next) and you can all laugh at my fluffed changes.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Look I know I said I'd drive it hood down every day, but...

That said, I'm off for a two-hour roundtrip tomorrow midday, and I'll give it a go, roof-down.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Soul red is bordering on hallucinogenic if you wear polarized sunglasses. Such a good choice.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Parked my ND facing the sun, and I don't think that - until today - I appreciate the visual rhyme between the crease over the door and the line at the line from the wheel well to the trunk.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Went for a drive this morning to a place called https://caffeineandmachine.com/ at the Houndhill House pub, Loxley, in Warwickshire. I'd heard of it, but never visited - it hosts a lot of club nights and car things. On the 21st of this month, they host MX-5 Europe for an evening. I might pop up if the weather's good.

https://caffeineandmachine.com/whats-on/club-nights/mx-5-europe-club-evening/

Today, the weather was good. I parked up next to a cheeky NA.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the heads up. Coincidentally I saw a 6-litre in the car park of The Falcon at Hatton last month. Might have been the same one. My dad had Bentleys when I was growing up, so I tend to note them.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

looked at that pic and heard the awooga echoing around the room

Thanks - I posted this one years ago, and just found the link, in case you're interested!

He's always been into cars...

OK, back to lurking!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Great, now I want a BBR Supercharger conversion. I saw this one out in the wild today. (I know that's a turbo, but I really want a supercharger conversion.)

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the replies - I'll let my urges be calmed...

Had a lovely run out today in the rain. It eased off to a light drizzle as the car got up to temperature, and I left the top up, both windows down, and it was a good place to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Went out for a lovely cross-country thrash this afternoon, and was reminded that the UK is still very muddy and wet, especially on backroads.

Will get the toothbrush out tomorrow, I promise.