Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Piano posted:

The NA and the NB are similar but they added/changed a lot of things in the NB to overall make the car more comfortable. You "feel the road" a lot less. That being a good or bad thing is up to you, really.

When you say you feel the road a lot less in the NB, are we talking about not feeling every little bump and pebble you run over but still well-connected, or like driving around in a numb luxobarge (or somewhere between the two)? I'm (hopefully) going to be in the market for a Miata in the next year or two and have been leaning towards a late-model NB...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ziploc posted:

There's a goon in the cycle subforum that have done it in 2700lb Honda Civic hatches. It can't be THAT bad.

Can it?

My dad tows his Hobie 16 (fiberglass sailboat...about 400 pounds plus the trailer) with my mom's Focus and it only weights 2600...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Piano posted:

I was under the impression that wheel bearing failure would sound different when turning.

A worn bearing generally makes more noise when its on the opposite side of the turn as the car's weight shifts. The last time I had to do one on my Focus I caught it early and when I turned left the noise would disappear completely.

Of course this doesn't apply if its already totally hosed and well beyond the "just starting to go" stage...but you can usually hear those over everything else.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

revmoo posted:

Bonus pic:

How much boost does a stock MSM make? Seems like that intercooler might as well not even be there, considering how tiny it is...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Its going to depend on how bad the clutch is but generally speaking anything other than the engine bogging down when you push on the gas pedal is pointing towards your clutch being dead. If it goes up 500 RPM and back down again it either means the clutch is just starting its death spiral or you're leaking brake fluid into the bellhousing.

For reference, when I had to replace the clutch in my Focus I'd drop into 5th at 30 MPH and mash the gas and it might as well have been in neutral.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 17, 2010

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
How do Miatas handle air delivery at idle? Sounds like a faulty IACV...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

My 1996 miata isnt compensating for load at idle (turning on headlights kills the motor), but idles fine otherwise. any ideas?

Check your battery.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Moruitelda posted:

Who, while driving a RWD car (well, anything that isn't 4/AWD), looks at that "road" and says "lets take a detour"? :psyduck:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

destructo posted:

Well that seals it...my next car is going to be a Miata.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

The best part about zippered windows is how easy it is to get into the car when you lock your keys inside while camping!

Sure, I'll bite - why would you lock the car with a zippered window installed...?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Tell me about NC Miatas.

Mainly, is the five speed transmission better than the six speed manual like I've been reading? Most of what I've seen is the six speed's ratios aren't well spaced and in the upper gears you see a minimal drop in RPMs between shifts. Also I read that the six speed is the only way to get a factory LSD...does this mean any NC with the six speed manual has a LSD or was it optional?

(Yes I'm thinking about buying a used NC in the somewhat near future...)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ziploc posted:

More information on what totaled it? I want to know if my assumptions were correct.

I'm guessing the adjuster saw two deployed airbags on a 12 year old car...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

dema posted:

I like everything about that color scheme except for the tan door trim and lower dash trying to mimic the color of the seats.

velocityJE posted:

p much this. heres a low quality shot, there really was no other damage than the cracked mirror in the visor and the face of the head unit flying off :\

I think I saw you were looking at a S2000 to replace it but I don't think it would be terribly expensive to replace the airbags - assuming that's all that's wrong with it. I smashed the front end of my Focus about a year and a half ago hitting a deer and deployed both airbags and got replacements at the junkyard for $350 (including the control module) v0v

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

destructo posted:

It's easy to do the wrenching, but all of those alternative headlight kits are out of production and expensive. Probably $200-$400 for a used kit. If you're looking for better lighting get a set of Hella E-Code reflector housings and put 80/100 bulbs in it.

There's also this: http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27250c-p.html

A bit spendy, but if you look at how much a set of properly retrofitted HIDs will cost you its really not that high.

I'm a big lighting nerd and if I had anything that used 7" round headlights I would have a pair of those.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Third Man posted:

channel locks and a breaker bar?

Only if you're not concerned about the condition of the knob after removal.

If you are you might try getting a strap wrench on it, but if that doesn't work your only recourse is going to be a pair of channel locks and brute force.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 18, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Is $15k a fair price for an '05 with 17k on the OD?

Dealer claims its a six-speed with a LSD. Saw the car (dealer was closed at the time,) looks very clean, soft top is in good condition and paint is nearly flawless.

Here it is on autotrader.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TrueChaos posted:

Alright, that's about what I figured. How stupid is it to drive on 3?

Take the weight of the car, divide by 16. This is the weight that is riding on each individual lug. Divide by three, this is the extra weight that the remaining lugs will pick up. Granted the numbers will be higher as you're cornering, but as long as you're not flogging the car you should be fine to, say, drive to a parts store to pick up a replacement.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
:stare:

Well that's one solution to engine bay space problems in small cars...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dr JonboyG posted:

Electric window motors now weigh less than manual winders.

Its also another electronic part to fail. Not saying manual window cranks don't fail, but I've seen far more power windows fail than crank windows.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

craig588 posted:

This is the brightest 1156 I was able to find there at least. http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/led-product/526/

In my experience with LED replacement bulbs the main issue is similar to doing HID in a halogen housing - the reflector is designed around the bulb. Often this results in poor output even with a ridiculously bright LED cluster because the light isn't hitting the right parts of the housing. This is amplified if the bulb enters the housing at an angle as many cluster LED bulbs have the majority of their output going straight out the end.

I've been eying a pair of the 12w bulbs at the top of this page http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm for my Focus's reverse lights but haven't been able to justify $50 on bulbs that may not work out.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 31, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Weinertron posted:

Before I move anywhere again I'll ask the HOA what the rules are, especially if I'm in a house I want the ability to do as I please in my own driveway.

Or you could just not move into a HOA neighborhood...?

I seriously doubt you're going to find one where asking "can I use my driveway for anything besides a path to move my car from the street into the garage?" isn't going to be an instant disqualification.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 25, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

televiper posted:

But there are install kits that include a new bezel that looks the same except they cut a double-DIN hole and a storage pocket so you use single-DIN, so it shouldn't look any worse than an aftermarket radio in any other car.

The reason the Auxmod is attractive is the install kits that cover the HVAC controls are prohibitively expensive. Sure, you can get an aftermarket headunit for $60 that gives you auxiliary in and/or bluetooth but then you also have to buy a $100 (or more) dash adapter to make it fit.

e: well it looks like the NC Miata has a normal enough dash that the adapter kits aren't horribly expensive, but that was the reason I went with the Auxmod for my wife's first-gen 6. Dash adapters were $150+ in 2009 when I installed it and have only gone up in price since.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 8, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

A MIRACLE posted:

So I live in Colorado where apparently you need a front license plate. But my NA doesn't seem to have a mount for it, well it has these two tab thingies but they won't fit to my plate. Also, I don't wanna put a plate right in front of the radiator. Is there like a way to mount a plate over on the side, near one of the baby teeth bits?

Have you been pulled over for not having a front plate? I live in a two plate state (Ohio) and have been driving for the better part of 10 years without a front plate. I've been stopped by law enforcement maybe a dozen or so times in that timespan and never once had any of them say poo poo about it, much less cite me for it. A lot of law enforcement view it as busy work and won't write the ticket unless you give them a reason to, and most of the time on your first offense you'll just get a fix-it ticket.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PeterWeller posted:

It is literally two off-the-shelf components and some wiring where wiring already goes in bundles.

Sorry, adding ~$100 of cost and less than a pound of components to a car that is likely to sell for over $25,000 and is remarkably light weight is a deal breaker for me :colbert:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 4, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Do you have any synthetic/non-rubber bushings installed? I put a set of polyurethane swaybar bushings on my Focus when I did a suspension kit that included a 2mm thicker RSB and they squeaked kind of like what you're describing until I shot them with some penetrating lubricant.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Don't forget that while the rear rotor has a larger overall diameter it's swept area is smaller than the front rotor, resulting in lower braking force.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Savington posted:

Swept area has nothing to do with braking force, HTH

So sixteenth inch wide brake pads will exert the same braking force as 3 inch wide pads, assuming the overall rotor diameter is the same?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TrueChaos posted:

What's the issue here?

I'm guessing the cam pullies are reversed (E at the top of the right pulley, marks on the head indicates that's the intake side.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ethanol posted:

I don't understand how you can consider making a sports car in 2016 without a LSD unless you've got TCS doing the job instead.

Even then, if you've ever driven something with a mechanical LSD traction control is not even remotely the same thing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

leica posted:

Yeah GM did it themselves, but look how well that did.

I thought the kappa platform was very good, it was just bleeding GM dry since the cost to manufacture the frame (mainly the hydroformed rails) was so high and the cars had very few parts shared with other vehicles/platforms.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 29, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm not familiar with the transmission on a Miata, would it be possible to jack one side or end of the car up enough that the drain hole would be above the fluid level?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Almost certainly for an automatic transmission - it cools the transmission fluid using the engine coolant instead of having a baby radiator for just the transmission fluid.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That's old enough that I'd suspect the clock spring could be causing an issue. Maybe try turning the wheel slowly from lock to lock and see if that causes the light to flash?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Goober Peas posted:

Switching to Motorcraft Synthetic made a huge difference in mine. It's hard to find and expensive, but very much worth it.

Do you mean XT-M5-QS transmission fluid? My local Ford dealer had 30+ quarts on hand last time I needed some - is this not common?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Filthy Hans posted:

Is there anything else I can do?

Throw them away, replace with rubber floormats.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You could try similar treatment to what you did with the mats. Pull it out and clean it multiple times, although that's going to be difficult since it's molded to the contour of the floor pan.

Maybe after cleaning try closing the car up with an ozone generator running inside for the better part of a week...?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I remember about 7-8 years ago there was a story about some guy who bought a Mercedes 190 E in the late 80s, stored it in a temperature and humidity-controlled facility until the late 2000s and was only able to get about what he had paid for it new - not adjusting for inflation - in mint condition with only transport miles on the odometer.

Unless you get incredibly lucky with something that turns into a highly sought after collector's item 20+ years down the road cars are a terrible investment.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shai-Hulud posted:

Thanks for the offer but im in germany and shipping would probably be ridiculous.

You'd actually be surprised, if you don't need it quickly shipping is fairly reasonable between the US and Europe.

I've bought several European market parts for my MkI Focus - including some that required large boxes, like grills and bumper lips - and I don't think I've ever paid more than $40 in shipping charges. Of course, at that rate you're looking at a 2-3 week turnaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Honestly $170 for a drop-in replacement that changes the headlight from sealed beam to LED without any modifications required is a steal.