Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Did somebody say beater Miata? I think I may have just bought one on auction... :negative:

Assuming it all goes through that is but it's a '91 JDM, 90k miles, black with kinda messed up but very swanky tan interior. Completely stock down to the exhaust and rims. No incredibly visible exterior damage. $800 equivalent.

Sounds pretty good but then I remember it's over 1000km from my house... :smithicide: I just have to keep telling myself it'll be an amazing road trip.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Just got the papers through on mine the other day. This is what $800 will get you in Japan.

From the paperwork it looks like it was somebody's weekend car for years, in the last 4 years that it was in usage it was doing about 5000km a year then it was just sitting in the previous owner's driveway for the past year doing nothing. It's a V Special so it's got a tan interior with a wood steering wheel. :getin:

Unfortunately it's not here yet, currently trying to arrange getting it sent.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

That steering wheel is the business. What's shipping going to run you (I assume to Australia)? Because drat that looks nice.
Actually, I'm only shipping it across Japan. I was gonna drive it down but after a flight to Tokyo, insurance and legal fees on getting temporary plates for an unregistered vehicle (:japan:) it turned out cheaper to ship it down. $500 door to door, for what it's worth.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Sorry to interrupt tire chat, but my new top arrived this weekend and I'm going to change it (and my seats) this afternoon.

Is there a good guide for doing so on miata.net or similar? if there if I'm failing spectacularly to find it.
I don't think you need to apologize to anybody about that.

I've been reading a lot of the Garage stuff recently and it's a pretty unintuitive list of stuff and half the guides aren't any better than the indexing.

I'm not sure what model you have but most of the top stuff is around here: http://www.miata.net/garage/garagetops.html

EDIT: And here's a fantastic guide for a flash-to-pass diode:

quote:

This modification is cheap for pre-94 Miatas, but rather lengthy to explain properly here. I would refer you to Miata Magazine, Fall 1994, p. 54. for an excellent article, complete with pictures and diagrams. A search of the mailing list archives may also help.
:downs:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 26, 2014

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well my Eunos Roadster (:japan:) finally got here today, 2 days early in fact. Quite frankly though.. I'm disappointed.

For $800 bucks I was hoping for all sorts of minor stuff to fix and I'd make a thread about all my tiny little problems with buying the cultural equivalent of an eBay beater. However I've checked all in and out of this thing and overall I got a drat good deal! Not a spot of rust on the whole drat thing, and it's even got the later non-suicidal crank nose! Gosh darnit, now I can't be in the cool kids with cool threads club :smith:

On the other hand I got an almost perfect Miata for $800 :woop: Just got a few spots that need some rattle can love and I need to do that thing to beef up the roof latches because they're both pretty much shot.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

obeyasia posted:

Miata owners may be openly gay, but S2000 owners are dude bros that will gently caress (missionary) a tranny on an out of town business trip.

The display stand for horns in my local auto store depicts a stylized rear end in a top hat driving an S2000.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Larrymer posted:

I'm almost the same size and the only thing that really bothered me is the steering wheel size and location. Heel toe would be tough with my knees hitting the wheel, but otherwise it was fine. If I kept it I would have went to pull strap door handles (more leg room for left knee) on the interior and moved the wheel closer to me and smaller.

I'm 5'10" and the previous owner of my NA put in a small diameter steering wheel, my legs will never hit anything ever. :v:

I don't think I've ever been more glad for power steering.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Awww, look at its shameful little eyes. :smith:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Viper915 posted:

This is why NA's are better:

It's why I got one! :swoon:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

(and is, fortunately, that swanky tan color)

FTFY :colbert:

I freaking love that tan interior. That and wooden steering wheels.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I also have a commute that leaves me sitting in traffic for 3-4 hours each day, but I probably should've just sacked up and enjoyed the left leg workout instead of getting the auto. Keep an eye out for my upcoming A/T thread "Ask me about the poor series of life choices that culminated in buying an automatic miata"

This is AI. I wholeheartedly look forward to a transmission swap thread. Lots of pictures. Bonus AI cool points if a fire breaks out :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I tried the epoxy fix on my worst soft top latch today. I'd never heard it click into place before, it was a beautiful sound.

Now to see how long this cheap epoxy will actually hold.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

This is a good idea. I'm going to go with the screw method myself. I'd never even considered it.

I would have done the screw fix but I don't own a drill so epoxy was much cheaper in my case.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well I finally got mine inspected and registered. I found out halfway through inspection that my third brake light bulb had gone. Luckily though, Japanese inspection laws are very specific and only interpreted literally. I was allowed to actually just remove the light housing, meaning the car no longer had a non-functioning third brake light so I could pass. :psyduck:

I also found out today that the cigarette lighter does not work. Its not fuses or the thingy on the back of the lighter which means whatever the problem is I guess I'll have to chase the wires back through the dash if I want to charge my phone. :smith:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

alexnessie posted:

Louder isn't an issue for me, I forgot to mention the full stainless exhaust with a glasspack de-cat. Will the cone intake still be hurting performance with the increased exhaust bore to match? Also can anyone shed any light on the 14 degree timing mod I've heard of? I only run the car on 99 octane and above (I can get 101+ locally also) so if it makes a difference, I'll do it!

Your increased exhaust bore is hurting your performance too. :smug:

Edit: Timing

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 1, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

blk posted:

I also need to do engine mounts soon. DIY or take to shop?

I'm gonna DIY mine next paycheck. It'll be my first time doing the engine mounts on anything but it looks simple enough that I wouldn't like to pay what it costs to have somebody else to do it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Changed the water temperature sensor today. I did it after driving to the dealership to pick the part up so I burnt my fingers a lot trying to get at it but oh god was it worth it. Instantly cleared up every single problem I'd been having. I seriously wish I'd tried the weird LED OBD code thing earlier.

All that's left is mounts, suspension and a new soft top when I can afford it then I can stop spending money on this thing for a while.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

dema posted:

Oh, that does look pretty good in black. I wasn't feeling the red at all.

Add a tan interior and I'll be ready to finance my life away. :getin:

Phone posted:

Europe has both options. I'm guessing most Asian markets will only have the 1.5L.

I wouldn't be surprised if Japan had both options. They sold both the NB6 and NB8 here after all.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

leica posted:

Or get two, one for a DD and one for track. Lotta people do that.

Or you can do what my neighbor does, have three and don't use any of them. It's like a little open air exhibit on the states of decay of the Miata.

If I get re-contracted at work for the next fiscal year I'm gonna have to go over and start making him offers for bits, he's even got 2 nice hard tops. If I don't get re-contracted I get to write a nice little trip report about moving house with a Miata :smithicide:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wrar posted:

Why anyone wants lovely factory navigation is beyond me when you can mount an Android tablet/iPad in the car that's 100 times better than garbage systems car manufacturers put in a car.

Better than a lot of aftermarket garbage too. Google maps gets me around rural Japan better than an actual GPS navigation unit programmed in Japan. That's good enough for me!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

drat, I'd love to get one of those brochures to go with my JDM RX-8 brochure. The Japanese market brochures Mazda puts out are always beautifully made.

I go to the Mazda dealer here every other week to pick up some dumb part for my NA. I'll see if I can't get a few extras when the actual brochure hits the shelves.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm way down at the bottom of Japan in Kyushu. We have pretty awesome summers down here so there's convertibles everywhere. Miatas and Copens mostly but occasianally you see something like a Honda Beat :3:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I was messing around with my suspension today and I found this mystery hose hanging around behind the under-guard.

Is this end supposed to be connected to something important?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Since it has a clamp on it, I'm assuming that's an important hose and not some kind of drain.

It looks kind of vacuum hosey to me. My first guess was PCV line, but that would be pretty obvious and I don't think it has a clamp on that line anyway.

Any fittings sticking out obviously on the intake manifold?

Is there something stuck in the hose? It looks like it's bulging and something is hanging out the end.

I just went back and had another look from above. Nothing very obviously out of place as far as I can see. The bulge is just whatever that plastic fitting in the end is.

FatCow posted:

Coolant overflow? Can you get a pic of the top?
Everything coolant seems to be in its place.

mobby_6kl posted:

Now I ain't no big-city mechanic, but I'd probably start by tracing the hose to where it plugs in on the other end :downs:

I know :blush: I was pretty deep in the suspension job at the time and didn't think to check it out until it had gone dark.

Elephanthead posted:

If there isn't a diagnostic code then it can't be done.
No codes. :v:

destructo posted:

Charcoal canister leftovers?
Now that I've checked it from above it is indeed attached to the bottom of the charcoal canister. Is the end of this hose supposed to go anywhere in particular?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

At 5'10" the car is roomy and comfortable. :v:

My replacement Japanese owners manual arrived today!

I'm actually surprised how patronizing it is. It's mostly a list of stuff you shouldn't do. Like, don't park near fires!*

For any kind of maintenance stuff they just tell you to take it to the dealer.

Hey manual, what if I wanna work on the car by myself?

"You'll get hurt!"
Well yah, but that's kinda half the fun, isn't it?

*Unfortunately it actually says don't park with your rear to inflammable objects, as your exhaust may set them on fire.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Silver cars never look dirty. :v: They hide it so well.

I think I've washed my Miata more times since I got it in november than I ever washed my old silver legacy in the two years I had it.

Of course, my Miata is black... :negative:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

Keep the thread updated with your progress/thoughts/whatever please. This is on my 'eventually' list as well.

Well I finally did my engine mounts on my NA today. Overall the job isn't too difficult, I did it with a basic set of 1/2" drive tools. If you want to do it the easy way (without taking out manifolds and stuff like that) you'll need a couple of extensions so you can sneak in through the wheel well. I used wobble extensions which made things a lot easier. There was one bolt on the exhaust side that was giving me some trouble because the down pipe was in the way so I couldn't get my sockets in. I almost took the exhaust manifold off to get to it when I realized I could just go between the oil pan and the sub-frame with a box wrench. You'll also need a bench vise or a c-clamp and an immovable object to get the bolt off of the engine side of the old mount. There's very little chance of screwing it up as the brackets and mounts are made to only fit together one way, it's just fiddly and time consuming.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 23, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JDM specs from 'Best Car'

Engine Code: P5-VPS
Displacement: 1496cc
Bore*Stroke: 74.5*85.8mm
Compression ratio: 1:13.0
Max Power: 131ps@7000rpm
Max Torque: 15.3kgm@4800rpm
Fuel Economy: 21km/l (JC08 Testing)
Transmission: 6MT/AT
Length: 3915mm
Width: 1730mm
Height: 1235mm
Wheelbase: 2315mm
Weight: 1000kg
F. Suspension: Double wishbone
R. Suspension: Multi-link
Tire size: 195/50R16

No current plans to bring the 2L to Japan :japan:

EDIT: If you're a fan of JDM, numbers and the metric system, I made a crappy table.

(Pre-ND specs taken from 'Motor Fan's 25th anniversary of the Roadster issue.)

Seems like their goals for the Japanese market were just to squeeze it into lower tax bands than the previous car.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 13, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Edmund Honda posted:

Is that a typo? Phone's 90.9" above is ~2309mm which sounds more likely

If it is a typo, it's not mine. I found a site listing it's 15mm shorter which would make it 2315, which matches up vaguely.

EDIT: Updated my previous post.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 13, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

opengl128 posted:

It would also be a hybrid and FWD. And CVT.

The S660 comes out in Japan this year though and it's not a hybrid! CVT though :smith: But it's a midship 660cc turbo with a 6MT option :getin:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Any tips on an NA clutch job? It started making some awful squealing noises today and while they cleared up it's been slipping on shifts since I got the drat car so I just decided to drop the cash on the Exedy clutch kit and clear it all up before anything self destructs.

Edit: I've never changed a clutch on anything before so this is a whole new level of weekend car repair for me.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 23, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Get a whole bunch of extentions and "elbows" (to change the angle of the extention). to get at the bellhousing bolts, of which there are 3 different sizes. You might say this makes accurate torquing difficult, and you're right. The trans can come out with the exhaust installed (drain, disconnect, take off the PPF and driveshaft, turn it vertical and take it out driveshaft-end first. be ready this will spill fluid.)

Good stuff to know, I think I have enough extensions and bits already. How much fluid am I expecting to gush out at me?

Phone posted:

Pull the motor.

(not recommended since you're in Japan and probably don't have the space to do it)

Really I hardly even have the space to drop the transmission. I was thinking about renting a garage space for the day and using all their lovely tools but I can't find anything near me.

Larrymer posted:

I did this job about 3 times, by the 3rd time I could have the trans on the ground in 45 minutes. I pull off the exhaust from the 3 bolt flange on the header back, drop the driveshaft, pull the shifter, then undo the bellhousing and PPF stuff. On mine I didn't remove the PPF since the rear bolts were stuck but you don't need to, just disconnect the trans from it.

It's very easy on this car but get many extensions (like 1-2 feet worth) and u joint extensions. You might need to get somebody to push the motor towards the rear of the car to line the trans back up when it goes in since it will tilt forward without the trans or other stuff attached.

All good stuff. Is there anything else that needs replacing as I go through that isn't in the 3 part kit?

Also, what are the chances this thing is full of asbestos? I'm not sure if the clutch has ever been changed, I bought it as a mystery car.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

urakawa posted:

I changed my brake pads and rotors over the weekend, but the drivers side rear caliper wouldn't back out using the 4mm hex screw. Ended up using a brake caliper tool I rented from autozone while turning the screw counter clockwise and it worked.

Now the adjustment screw doesn't move the piston... It's stuck. Guess I have to get that caliper replaced :gonk:

I did my rear pads at the weekend too. One side was just fine, the other side was a little crunchy and I accidentally pulled the adjustment screw out whereupon I found the splines were partly stripped on one spot. Somehow managed to get it all back together and adjusted though.

A week off work starting today though, if the weather turns out nice I can start the stupid clutch job tomorrow.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Phone posted:

ND Spec sheet for America is out: no LSD on the Grand Touring; no option for it either.

Looks like I'm picking up a Club.

Japanese showroom booklet is out too.

Official dimensions are 3915*1735*1235mm with a 2310mm wheelbase and a 140mm ride height (ground to body)

The base grade is the plain "S" and there are 2 option packages: The "special package" and the "leather package"

S (6MT only)
- Front wipers (wow!)
- LCD audio display
- 4 speaker sound system
- Body color interior door trims
- 1 removable cup holder
- Manual AC

S Special Package (6MT or 6AT)
- Automatic lights
- Rain sensing wipers
- Auto dimming rear view mirror
- 7-inch WVGA center display/command control
- Fully automatic AC
- i-ELOOP (AT only)
- i-stop (AT only)
- Torsen LSD (MT only)
- Tunnel brace bar (MT only)
- 6 speaker sound system
- Bonnet insulation
- 2 removable cup holders

S Leather Package
- Blind spot monitoring system (BSM/RCTA)
- Lane departure warning system (LDWS)
- Active front righting system (AFS)
- High beam control system (HBC)
- Automatic lights
- Rain sensing wipers
- Auto dimming rear view mirror
- Insulated soft-top
- 7-inch WVGA center display/command control
- Fully automatic AC
- Seat heaters
- 9 speaker Bose sound system
- 2 removable cup holders
- i-ELOOP (AT only)
- i-stop (AT only)
- Torsen LSD (MT only)
- Tunnel brace bar (MT only)
- Bonnet insulation
- Leather seats

So as it works out, the S is your economy, the Special package is your modern comfort grade while the leather package is the ultimate luxobarge Miata. As for options, the base model is kinda stuck how it is, but you can mix and match a lot of the Special and Leather package options. Hate Bose? They'll knock $700 off the price and downgrade you to 6 speakers.

Weight (lightest to heaviest)
990kg S (base model, MT)
1010kg S Special (MT)
1020kg S Leather (MT)
1030kg S Special (MT with i-ELOOP + i-stop)
1040kg S Leather (MT with i-ELOOP + i-stop)
1050kg S Special (AT)
1060kg S Leather (AT)

Fuel economy by JC08 standards is 17.2km/l for the regular manuals, 18.8 for manual with the economy modes and yet only 18.6 for automatics.

JDM colors are Soul Red Premium Metallic, Ceramic Metallic, Jet Black Mica, Meteor Gray Mica, Blue Reflex Mica, Crystal White Pearl Mica and Arctic White. No sign of the dynamic blue or sunflower yellow as was previously anticipated.

Edit: Actually looking at the photography in this booklet it kinda sucks. All the pictures are dark and have way too much shadow and in a few pictures the digital manipulation of the reflections on the paintwork is pretty obvious.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 7, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

No real mention of what the tunnel brace is here either but it doesn't surprise me as the Japanese consumer is not expected to be technically literate. To that point they didn't even bother with spoilers or Brembos in the Japanese catalogue :smith:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well, I have attempted the clutch change and I have been defeated. I managed to get the transmission up to the engine, far enough in to actually put a couple of bolts through but I can't get it any further in.

What do I do thread? I've managed to get stuff back in Just enough that I could at least have it towed to a garage if it comes to that.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally god damned did it! I got the transmission back in. Had to take the transmission back down realign the clutch and hoist that stupid thing back up again but I finally god drat did. :getin:

Now I've just got to straighten out the broken stud on the cat and get a nut back on it to stop the gnarly exhaust leak as much as I enjoy the race car noises it makes. Also managed to lose the plastic bushing from the very bottom of the shifter and god drat does it feel awful to drive without it. So :flaccid:.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Have a little patience is the best advice

The worst advice is buy a mystery cheap beater over the internet sight unseen and hope you can save it.

I was actually almost a little disappointed when a mechanically sound and rust free car turned up on my doorstep :smith:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 18, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Heat chat: After about an hour of solid driving the transmission tunnel in my NA heats up pretty crazy. Haven't been noticing it much these days because the southern Japanese weather is making everything uncomfortably hot. I've been keeping the top up so I can use the air conditioning even.

Here's what we replaced last night:
  • Front o2 sensor (old one was solid white and rattled)
  • Rear coolant sensor
  • 10L of fresh 91 octane with a little bottle of octane booster (couldn't hurt)

That was the one that made my car all boggy and smell like a gas station.

The only thing I can think of is clogged cat...

Well we all know how to test that. Bring ear plugs. :getin:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The rainy season has just hit southern Japan and I already wish I had a car with a fixed roof. Stupid leaky NA seals. :smith: