Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Hello Miata thread.

I own a '96 in pristine condition that I bought for a song about this time last year off a dude who needed to dump cars to pay down debt. I only drive it during the summertime - the rest of the time it's in storage. I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind giving me some opinions.

1.) My fuel door is chrome instead of the normal body color like it appears everyone else's Miata has. The former owner insists it's not after-market but that's the way it came from the dealer. Is that possible or was this just a slip in his memory?

2.) When I was looking to buy the car I brought it to a mechanic to have them evaluate the car. I was told that the condition was excellent but that one of the cylinders was losing compression, but still within "Mazda specifications" whatever that might mean. I was told they had ruled out a cracked piston or block or a blown head gasket. I bought it anyway and drove it all of last summer without much of an issue; gas mileage was lower than expected (about 24 with combined highway/city driving) but I otherwise noticed no issues. I understand how a car works mechanically but I lack the know-how to repair anything myself. Is this something I need to have a mechanic fix? If so, will this be a big deal? Will it be very expensive?

3.) While I went through last summer without incident, I have this persistent fear that my soft-top will be slashed at some point and I'm thinking about buying a hardtop. I've read the miata.net hardtop guide and I feel confident in my ability to install it. Is there anything you guys might recommend inspecting when I'm choosing a hard-top to buy from a former owner?

Thank you all in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
The cylinders, front to back, were 185-140-185-185. That means nothing to me but is outside that 5%.

If you were in my shoes, and the car was still driving fine but you knew about this problem, would you do anything about it? I could afford it but I'd prefer not to have my car out of commission for like two weeks after I bust it out for the summer.

Again, thank you all. Wonderful resource.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
How difficult and expensive would it be to swap out an NA's headlamps to replace them with the style in the third picture above? Those lamps have a very cool appearance and I'm thinking about replacing my headlamps soon anyway.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

mobn posted:

Ugh, how long has miata.net's classifieds been behind a paywall? I'm trying to sell my hardtop because student loans and last minute wedding stuff has raped us financially, and I can't afford the $23 they want to get an account that can list ads now.

I posted it to craigslist, but I have never gotten anything but scam attempts from craigslist postings in the past. Is there anywhere else I can post it?

how much and where u live at

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
mobn i cannot give you a promise and my guess is that you'll move the thing more quickly than i would help with but if you're still holding this thing in mid may i'm just a car ferry away from you and i need a miata hard top. just something to think about.

I'll keep in touch.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

mobn posted:

Since everyone says this is the case now, for goons only I will make it $800. Sadly I need any kind of money more than I need a hard top.

Mobn are you still selling this or has it already moved? I'm nearing my home date and I'm still in need of one. I'm not sure I'd be buying yet but we'll see.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
An old lady scraped up my rear bumper in a parking lot accident. It doesn't look like the plastic(?) of the bumper is gouged very deeply at all, but it neatly took off a patch of the paint so now my little Miata has this fleshy yellow spot. How should I repair this and make it look as natural as possible? Assume I know nothing about painting a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
That seems like an enormous amount to pay for that many miles. I was planning on selling my 96 in pristine condition with 88K for $5000