Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, unfortunately I do, at least I think it was P0340. But in any case it was the cam sensor, you can check my previous posts here for more details. Took one minute to swap out, but getting stuck randomly was a huge pain in the rear end before the replacement arrived. I wouldn't bother with the crank as the cam sensor frequently shits itself all on its own, as it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone running 14" on their NBs for winter wheels? I had to dump PO's 15" snow tires as they were bald as gently caress and I was drifting around everywhere last winter but now I'm looking to pick up some 175/65 R14 tires or a similar size for this season. They seem to be cheaper and easier to find, plus not as ridiculously low profile. For reference, the stock size is 195/55 R15.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some guy on a local forum did a thing:

His excuse is that he daily drives it, but I don't see how making the trunk even more useless is particularly helpful for that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oops, didn't realize this was so rare that nobody would recognize it. It's an LPG/autogas conversion, and that's the fuel tank. This fuel is typically cheaper but also has lower energy density so it results in slightly lower performance and higher nominal fuel consumption, though usually now enough to offset the lower prices.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry to hear you guys are being bothered about cars on your own property. I had my other car stand in my parants' driveway in an upper-middle class area for a year (with plates, but not insured. oops) without anyone saying a word.

So today I got up at like 1 in the afternoon, cooked and ate lunch, thinking about a nice weekend drive ahead of me, when I finally opened the blinds :stare:

gently caress me. I've been putting of the winter tires until next week, and now I probably wouldn't even make it out of the parking spot (it's on an incline). I was going to get some 14" wheels, but is there an easy way to verify if I have sport brakes, or do I just measure the rotor size?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, you're putting sound deadening in your Miata? :confused:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mine has a similar noise, it seems to be more pronounced when the car is cold and then gets quieter. My completely unqualified diagnosis is that it's the pilot bearing, but I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it so far.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I have finally figured out what my first "if I win the lottery" car purchase would be. Behold, the miata shooting brake:

small, lightweight, yet still enough trunk to haul around my junk. Get it with a T top to preserve some sort of "convertible" feel, and it would be the perfect car.

Well I have some good news for you; forget the lottery.

A bit heavier, certainly, but with all the power and fuel economy a Miata guy could ever want at a much lower price than custom-building anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dominoes posted:

I have a 2006 Miata with 41000 miles on it. What maintenance should I perform, if any?

I've had this done so far:
  • Regular oil/filter changes
  • New tires
  • New brake pads
  • Several wiper replacements

I don't think you really have to do anything, but this is recommended for pre-FL NBs by ~40k miles, if you feel like it:
  • Spark plugs
  • Air filter
  • Coolant
  • Fuel filter
  • Gearbox and diff oil
  • Brake fluid

Last year I did most of these on my NBFL which has similar mileage but obviously is a bit older. :feelsgood:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see how it could make any noticeable difference, isn't it just fiberglass?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Granite Octopus posted:

Over the weekend I decided to refresh my soft-top latches. The old ones had a very strange corrosion underneath the paint. I sanded off all the old paint, applied primer, and then two layers of the finest, cheapest spray paint I could find. I added a few layers of clearcoat, for what good it will do. I also sanded off all the paint from the bolts, and polished them. I think the look is somewhat unique, and it was easier than painting them.

That's a big improvement, well done :)

I have some similar corrosion, mostly on some screws and bolts under the hood though. Any ideas what might be causing this? I don't think I've seen this type of corrosion on any other cars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

Well when I'm sitting still or coming out of reverse that doesn't help much :(

I just hope the syncros aren't making GBS threads the bed already.

Try putting it into another gear first.

And most likely that's $200 only if you're in an area where Miatas are relatively popular. Rev matching seems to do it for first gear, but second can be almost impossible to engage when the tranny's cold so I've been looking into this unfortunately.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AF posted:

The fuuuuck. Barely anyone here has touched even 30 MPG and here you are with 34. I am jelly :I

He's cheating by using an NC :colbert:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GOD IS BED posted:

NC models start in 2006, afaik.
And my NC is getting 27 mpg at best, more typically 23. Of course, my driving plays a big role here.

I just didn't remember seeing any 2005 NBs, but Wikipedia says that NCs started production in May 2005 for delivery in August as 2006 MY. So looks like you're right, unless phootnote referred to the manufacture date. As for myself, I'm pretty sure I did at least one >30mpg tank before I figured out how deep the gas pedal really goes.

And today I had the first instance of the miata wave of the season with some guy in an anniversary NB, who was wearing a beanie in the t-shirt weather. I used to not care about this at all, but now I'm really glad that it loving finally stopped snowing and being generally lovely.

This also means that now that the car isn't covered in salts and other grime, it's clear that the paintwork needs some attention. The wheels, especially, could use a respray due to some curb rash and just paint flaking off (:wtf:) in some spots. I'm thinking about trying body color instead of just touching up with the standard silver, so something like this:

instead of

What do you guys think?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
None of these tires seem to be available in the country :( But why would anyone want more traction in the rain anyway?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like somebody was in my miata over the weekend! I left it parked as usual right outside my windows (though I'm on the 3rd floor so need to look down from the balcony to see it), and this morning noticed that my seat was further back than usual, the microfiber glove I use to wipe the interior is in the passenger footwell, and a the little disgusting melted gold coin chocolate thing I had in the cupholder was eaten.

So 1-0 for not locking your convertible, I guess? Maybe it were just some local kids who wouldn't break the glass or slash the top anyway, but I'm not too upset as long as they aren't being assholes and don't turn on the lights or push the car down the hill or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's with the paint, is it as dull and faded as it looks, or is that just the photo? The fuel pump/float assembly is apparently a pretty easy job though, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8wzghWowk

Edit: grammer/content

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 25, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, does anyone have a link to the old Miata megathred? I'm trying to find a specific post that was in there but can't even locate the drat thread :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did you get a CEL? I would've guessed a dead camshaft position sensor (they love to fail when hot), but I think the engine should turn over even with a hosed one. If it's not cranking, I'm not sure what it could be but that should be fairly reasonable to diagnose by checking what's getting current or not.

Alright, so apparently when somebody decided to have a look inside my miata (see previous post), they didn't immediately realize it was unlocked and did this to it:

At least, that's what I think happened, I rarely use the lock myself. The key now won't go in with a reasonable amount of effort. Any ideas how this can be fixed easily/cheaply? I just don't want to get locked out of my car one day if the battery dies in the car/remote.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The AE is really nice (especially with the black wheels, IMO), but the white NB at half the price is a steal. For the price difference you could rebuild everything that could possibly go wrong with it.

The 6-speed is apparently less smooth and just makes you shift more without giving a taller top gear. Which is also why the miata is exactly the kind of car that makes you think you're going to die if you go 85, because it feels and sounds like you're doing 170. They do work great in the winter, but if your roads are getting salted, I'd look for a winter beater because they sadly like to rust.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As there's a new Nexus 7 out, I was considering picking up the previous one used for cheap and installing it in dash. However, looking at this, it seems like it'd have to be quite recessed to clear the B and the two top A clips:

Although the screen should fill in the double-DIN opening very well, I'm concerned that the bezels would get in the way, especially on the sides. If anyone replaced the stereo themselves, have you noticed how much space there's to the sides of the opening? I considered pulling everything apart myself to measure it, but it's been raining for two days now so the conditions aren't the best for working outside.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow, you're right, the removal looks completely trivial. I found this video that shows how it's done in like 30 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQT_YBBpN4E in case anyone else needs it.

The problem though is that the bezel makes the tablet wider than the DIN opening so I can't just slide it in (unless... the bevel can be cut off), it'd have to be installed somehow behind the central panel. I tried to throw this together for scale and it seems like a Galaxy 3 could be a better fit, but really I'll need to pull my HU out and see the internals for myself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's raining so the demand for convertibles isn't as high.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Last winter my car made some weird noises, but it mostly happened on cold starts and was pretty rare anyway, so I never managed to diagnose it. The only time it happened not on a start was when accelerating from a stop while cold. However it always stopped before I could open the hood and the belts looked ok visually and to touch.

So now that it's cold, I had it happen again, basically sounds exactly like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koKbFylPya8 (I don't have a SC). Any ideas what could be causing it or how to proceed with diagnosing it further?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TrueChaos posted:

Mine squeals occasionally, only on cold mornings though. I think it's a pulley rather than the belts, as I did all the belts when I did timing belt/water pump, about 2.5 years ~50,000km ago.

Yeah, my belts are about 2 years old as well. I'll try taking off the AC belt since it's a) winter and b) doesn't work anyway and see how that goes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Weinertron posted:

If I recall correctly the A/C belt also runs the power steering. Of the two belts, you have your important one (waterpump & alternator) and your fancy car luxury items one (power steering and A/C).

Haha poo poo you're right! I probably would've figured this out sooner or later, but this makes the plan a bit less attractive, though I could probably survive without PS too.

Does anyone know if 205/50 R16 wheels+tires fit on NBs? I found a used set for about two hundred bucks with practically new tires, which is way better than almost $100 per tire that I'd need to buy to make it through the winter.

krnhotwings posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a little while, and it seems that most of you guys own NAs or NBs but very few NCs. What're your guys' thoughts on the NC? And what about the retractable hardtop models? (Worth it or not? Potential expensive problem to fix?)

I've only sat in an NC at a car show, but they're generally much nice inside and apparently aren't significantly worse from the driving dynamics point of view. The hardtop reasonably lightweight and not very expensive, so it basically avoids the usual downfall and makes the car quieter. Don't know about reliability, but seeing as how the soft top needs to be maintained/replaced as well, it's probably not any more expensive to deal with.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 22, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My antenna mast isn't retracting fully, most likely just frozen solid at one of the segments. Is there any way to prevent it from moving besides not using the radio/cd at all? Mainly not to have it stick out when parked on the street.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TrueChaos posted:

Mine does this occasionally, though with a little pressure I can usually push it all the way down. Hasn't done any harm, do people really snap antennas off where you live or something?

When I got my NB, the antenna was in the trunk in two pieces :) It didn't look like it was bent accidentally so I assume some bored teenagers do that from time to time. So better safe than sorry, considering a soft-top miata already stands out from a sea of white diesel shitboxes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are 16" wheels still ok for NBs? I've been on a low-intensity search for a set of either smaller winter or replacement summer wheels. I just checked my local Miata club trade forum and found a few decent options.

1. AEZ 16", 4x100 mm, most likely 6,5", ET40

$320/set w/o tires. Supposedly only minor wear and tear, but I no idea about AEZ.

2. Enkei 14" 7-spoke

$350/set w/ Falken Ziex tires. I could use them this summer season then repurpose them for winter and fix up my current 15" wheels.

3. BBS RK, 16x7j, 4x100, ET35

$350 w/ mismatched Hankook Ventus S1 Evo and Uniroyal Rainsport1 tires. Obviously with some curb and corrosion damage as well.

Obviously I'm not a fan of spending big bucks on shiny rims. I think I like the BBS ones the best, but how fixable is the damage? No need to make them as-new. Any opinions on the other wheels?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My NB's 3-button remote keyfob is starting to behave strangely - basically not working on a random basis. It's not the battery because I tried swapping in a new one, and not a programming isse because I went through the whole process only to have it work three times in a row but then again only every other time at best. Any ideas what might be the problem? This really sucks because somebody hosed around with the door lock, making inserting the key a pain in the rear end, and I'm worried about getting locked out of my car :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Harmburger posted:

Try taking it apart and bending the contacts towards the battery a little. They can make intermittent contact causing this strange behavior.

Sadly this didn't seem to help, it just sometimes works on the 5th press or something. Are the fobs known to die for no reason? I only have one so I can't test whether the problem's in the key fob or the car's receiver.

For the other "getting into my own car" aspect, I managed to get the tiny flappy door in the door lock sufficiently out of the way with some screwdrivers to be able to get the key in. However this leaves a gaping hope there, is difficult to turn, and the key sometimes gets stuck there. Perfect!

It seems that this highlighted part is what's hosed, but it looks possible to replace without replacing all locks (or even just the door lock). How much of a pain in the rear end is accessing the lock? I'll have to disassemble the whole door, won't I?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

They also changed up the rear suspension setup. The NC top hat allows for the shock body to travel past the top hat, the ND looks like a more conventional coilover set up.

Also also also, the tires are on the wrong way or... Mid engine Miata? Mid/rear engine with FWD and rear steering?

Has the rear been multilink since ND or did they change that now too? And what might be the reason for this change? Just wondering from the "not broken" perspective...

Also, I'm not seeing any tires there :) Edit: they must've finally created the flying car!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 17, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news everyone! There's also (unsurprisingly) going to be a 25th anniversary Miata!

It really should've been an ND, but I have to admit that it at least looks quite nice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I had mounted mine inside the grill with zipties. It looks good, but might not be so great to the radiator. Never had any cooling issues but that's maybe just my experience.

Did you have any cop issues though? I guess it's technically there, but sadly I don't think something like this would fly here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

From our local Miata 25th anniversary meetup - sadly I (like many others) didn't go because it's been cold and raining for days now and that doesn't motivate one to put up with 2+ hours of driving on the worst road in the country to get there. This must've been during the 5 minus when it didn't rain. Oh well, there's always the 50th anniversary.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just managed to lock my keys in the trunk for the first time since getting the car ~2.5 years ago. Luckily I already unlocked it before going back to check something, and the armrest lock is useless enough that it could be easilly pulled open without even breaking anything :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's pretty drat awesome.

Not so awesome but still pretty nice, some dude on our local forum is selling his ex-Mini Cooper M45 supercharger for a reasonable price. However he had it on an NA 1.6 while I have an NBFL 1.8 and neither of us know if it'd fit or do anything worthwhile on my car.

As I understand, he's selling almost the complete kit, but not the belt, ECU or injectors (that I assume might be needed). Does anyone know it this would work and not be a complete waste of time? My hope of speeding up the car are basically limited to trolling the trade sections of forums and our ebay clone, as there's no way I'd drop like 5k on a new kit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think mobby means the seller had it on a 1.6L NA Miata, not the Cooper 1.6?

Yeah, the SC is originally from a Mini-whatever, but the guy had it installed on a 1.6 NA.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the stock stereo (besides its lack of a reasonable aux input :argh:), but the main problem is that I can't hear poo poo above city-street speeds unless I really crank up the volume. At which point I'm probably risking hearing damage on longer trips. The last time I did that, I just used my IEMs to listen directly from my phone. Hardly ideal, but at least I could hear more music than wind noise and didn't go deaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Harmburger posted:

http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/

Cheap aux in. Apparently if you read around there's a way to do it with just some cabling, but this is plug and play, and works with the media button on your head unit.

It's out of stock not to mention $60 + shipping + tax + duty is more than an aftermarket head unit with AUX in, bluetooth, CD and SD reader costs. I'd prefer to retain the stock look, but not that much... has anyone come across some information on how to hack together an adapter for the NBFL non-Bose radios?