Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So, I did a thing...

'99 10AE, imported from england, will be my track toy next season :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FatCow posted:

What a mindblowingly bad way to strap a car to a trailer.

It's within regulations in Norway, but I don't disagree. I prefer the ones where you strap each wheel down separately.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to swap headlamps on an NB?

The '99 I bought is RHD, so I need to swap them to get it road legal.

Also found out the 10th anniversary edition didn't come with AC in the UK, but that doesn't bother me the slightest. It has the 140 HP 1.8L BP-4W motor, 6 speed gearbox, Torsen LSD and ABS at least.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If only it was just the bulbs :v:

Thanks!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Trip report on the new headlamps: didn't have to drop the bumper cover, but it was fiddly and ofc a bolt broke.

Got the car inspected today as well, no real issues. I hardly slept the last couple of nights due to some of the horror stories, but the only painful bit ended up being the emissions based tax.

This car is a bundle of fun tho. Can't wait to test it on the track.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Badger vs Miata - badger won. Cracked bumper cover. Time for the drifter's stitch :sun:

This car will mainly be used on track, so I'm not very fussed, just annoyed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ozone generators are great for removing odors, yeah. I might have to do that with mine as well...

Ugh, found a silver hard top for sale and it's really tempting to buy it and grab my miata out of winter storage early. But it isn't oil treated and I would have to buy winter tires/wheels. Someone talk me out of it? :ohdear:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Innocent blue (10AE) is the best colour on the Miata :colbert:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Goober Peas posted:

I'm leaning that direction too - but the interior was too much.

Yeah... The two tone seats and the blue carpet etc is bothering me a bit. But the seats will be swapped later this year, so meh.

It's impressive how bad the seats are for spirited driving :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

They're not super easy to find here in Norway and this will (mostly) be a track car, so I'm looking for something from a third party atm. Cobra or Sparco, just not sure how much of a pain in the rear end it is to get them fitted in the car. Or that I'll fit :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I think I might be dealing with faulty heater hoses too... or something else fishy.

Backstory: RHD 99 10AE mx5 (uk car originally), about 130k miles on the counter. Destiny: track toy.

Issue: when idling/driving under low load/rpm conditions, the heater doesn't blow very hot. If "beaten on" abit up some hills etc, the air temp will increase by a fair bit. During all this, the temperature needle will not budge from the center.

The car heats up reasonably fast compared to the old 1.8 BP in an old 323 BG I had, and it doesn't seem like it's overheating either. There's some slight misfire/hesitation around 2500-3500 rpm when on partial throttle without much load, probably indicating old spark plug leads. I haven't noticed any water usage or excessive white/blue smoke.

I guess it could be failing heater hoses, or it could be issues with water circulation from a failing water pump or something being seriously wrong (tho I'm at a loss at what that could be).

Most of the service work has been documented fairly well (big folder of paperwork came with the car), so I'll have to check if the water pump has been changed at any point...

</ramble> Any ideas?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So the temp gauge is basically useless then :v:

Swapping the thermostat and flushing the cooling system is the first on my list, along with oil change on engine, transmission and probably the diff as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'll have to look into that. I need to open the cluster anyways I guess, to change the plate from mph to kmh...

Is there any easy way to get live data out of a pre-OBD2 ECUs? (i know, it's a long shot)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Easier to install a real water temp gauge.

That's too easy.

Re: the mph/kmh thing, I had a spirited drive on a mountain road where I didn't really look at the speedo much, just followed the road and drove at a comfortable speed. Looked at the speedo, thinking "oh, I'm just 10-15 over.. No wait. poo poo". Glad there were no cops around... :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So linearize the stock gauge seems like the best option. Not a fan of aftermarket gauges, and swapping the ecu is not happening until 140hp isn't enough and I put a supercharger on it :v:

Not a fan of turbocharging a track day that will also do double duty as a fun summer car/daily driver.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Phone posted:

You need an ECU to hit 140hp (wheel) :v:

:downsrim:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Backup camera on a miata? :psyduck:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:psyduck: automatic Miata?

Also, aren't the power window mechanism on the Miata about as heavy as the manual one? And how much of a heresy is it to have a Miata with ABS? Or power locks?

It's the middle of February, I live in :norway: and I loving can't wait to get my Miata out of storage :aaaaa:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:drat:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The 99 unit with VTCS VICS isn't gutless either, but it's a nobrainer to go for a VVT motor if you can.

Edit: I'm bad.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 22, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I misremembered, fixed my post.

VICS was on the BP-4W in 99-00, VTCS is on the BP-Z3 (VVT) engine in 01-05.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 22, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

One of the NA tuned variants then? The MZR is heavier than the BP afaik, so not sure how beneficial it would be without some power gains.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I really shouldn't be posting today :v:

Looking up the MZR and yeah, it's all alu and actually lighter :downs:

I still wouldn't bother with one tho, for the same reasons mekilljoydammit posted.

Edit: Comedy option - Get an FE-DOHC / FE3 :sun:

I actually wrecked an '88 626 GT 4WS with the FE3 (FE5A cams and ECU) a few years back, still regret not pulling the motor...

Wibla fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 22, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Really tempted to get a set of 15" OZ Superleggeras for my MX-5 :aaaaa:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Damage like that is generally more severe than at first glance, get the car appraised properly for damage, there's more than you think.

In unrelated news, I have a black hardtop on the way for my 10AE, paid a whopping $440 including shipping from a wrecking yard.
This is about half of what they usually go for in :norway: so I'm pretty happy with that. I'll have to get it painted to match the car, or I might just not give a gently caress.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Today has been the first real spring day in Norway, with temps soaring above 16C, so I spent most of the afternoon driving the 10AE around with the top down.

I'm at a loss for words to describe how nice these cars are to drive, especially on windy roads.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

^^^ Those are some pretty significant gains on the VVT, drat.

Today has been a good day for MX5 parts :toot:

Ordered OZ Ultraleggera 15x7 wheels with Federal 595 RS-R 205/50-15, as well as new Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The soft top on my 10AE is ... not especially waterproof. I kinda suspected as much, but forgot to cover the car with a tarp before leaving for a few days. Yay for wet seats :smith:

Time for some waterproofing!

How the edges look over the windows... not exactly pretty :(

Did someone say faded?

E: Imgur works better

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ferodo DS2500 pads are also nice, but they are not cheap.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Flushed the brakes today. A 1.5-2 hour job having never done it before and using the side jack points for the front, as my jack doesn't clear the front lip.

About 0.8 liters of Motul RBF600 later things look a lot better than the brown mess that was in there before.

My NB 1.8 seems to lose water somewhere tho. It doesn't smoke, and the oil looks decent, so I'm somewhat at a loss.

E: I'm pretty sure brake fluid shouldn't look like this:

Wibla fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 22, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Perfect excuse to change the transmission oil?

I need to rebuild the shifter on my 10AE, how much of a pain is it?

Oh, and new motor mounts... The shifter moves around way too much when I go on/off the throttle.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My 10AE survived the first track day at Rudskogen in Norway! :toot:

A fairly cold day at around 4-5° C and intermittent snow (no poo poo) at the beginning, but I was marshal the first two hours, so by the time I got on, the track was nice and dry.

The 595 RS-R tires I was sceptical about handled things like a champ, but my bad braking lead to mushy brakes even with RBF600 brake fluid, so welp. Some teasing from a friend with a GT2, but that's to be expected :sun:

Got ferodo DS2500 pads on the way, but our supplier wasn't able to get them in time for this... Welp.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Larrymer posted:

To hang out with your other bugs.

No crab-shaming :laffo:

Ugh, I'll probably have to replace some rather rusted out power steering pipes on my RHD 10AE soon, how much of a pain in the rear end is that going to be?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'll try to dredge up some sympathy... Except I can't seem to find any :sun:

I'm at a car show today with my 10AE, helping out with security. Parked beside a LHD 10AE, mine is RHD :3:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You don't drive it hard every day?

Every trip with my 10AE is hard. But I live close to some very nice (windy) roads :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

HOLY gently caress it's annoying to do the oil filter on a RHD 10AE (1.8 '99).

But, after more time I'd like to admit, I got the drat thing replaced. After spilling probably 2 deciliters of oil over the subframe after losing the old filter down onto it. Now I understand why the right side of the subframe has no rust, while the left side has a fair bit, heh.

Also found my water leak.

Something is not as it should be.

The hose clamp is, well, hosed :rimshot:

Coolant hose from the thermostat housing to the water pump.

And before anyone comments on rust. Yes, there's rust, a lot more than you think looking at that picture, too. Ugh. Not sure how much is left of that swaybar.

Lots of work to do...

Wibla fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 20, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The heat coming from the transmission tunnel etc is enough to make me want AC, and I live in Norway...

I've definitely had to learn what heater settings work well for driving with the top down, as the legs don't really need any extra heat.

In other news, I replaced a completely rusted out OEM hose clamp on the thermostat bypass coolant hose tonight, the original one fell apart when I started messing with it. Ordered a new hose, as it doesn't look good.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

This car is fun.

Buff the headlights, get some R-compound tires and have all the fun

Are those the original wheels as well? They look pristine. That's not usually the case...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can get a street (emissions) legal SC kit for the NC now - https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=643006 - both CARB and TÜV approved, which is great news.

Now if only they'd get the paperwork done for the NB 1.8...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This sounds like a spectacularly bad idea.