Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So clever and so simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

'mericans learnin stick; the hill start thing. I've always used the hand brake on hills... I don't have to but the fact I can sit there, knock the car out of gear and take my foot off the clutch is welcome sometimes. I use the handbrake whenever the car is stopped for more than a few seconds.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

leica posted:

Or you could just get the Rota knockoffs and save a grand.

Don't be the guy that buys knockoff fake wheels. That's like being the guy to buy a base spec BMW them sticking M sport badges all over it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Same thing applies.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Every time HTs come up I get super bummed that this one never made it to market

Yeah that's hot.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Phone posted:

Someone should hop on this killer deal: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=583575

If I had the cash (and was nearby) I'd buy it and turn it into a spec racer or stance it simply to gently caress that guy off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GutBomb posted:

AppRadio mode requires the parking brake to be engaged in order to start it up but I say gently caress that. I don't want to have to pull over to enter an address into Waze. Handbrake requirements are easy to bypass by just grounding the wire you're supposed to connect to the handbrake switch. Except AppRadio mode requires you to engage, disengage, then engage the brake to prove you didn't bypass it. That's where that little pack of switches comes in. I connected the brake detection wire to one contact on the switch, and connected the other to a ground wire. Then I just flip the switch back and forth when entering AppRadio mode so it will let me in. Then just leave the switch on so it thinks the handbrake is always on.

This is clever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If you don't get a roll bar it's likely to be a no-brainer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bought a 1998 NB a few weeks ago, was previously owned by a 70yr old lady who loved it for 18 years but didn't exactly keep it pristine. It was apparently a demo car for Mazda so one of the first in the country. £900 with a hard top (slightly torn soft top underneath), 71k miles and in need of a few bits doing. Did a full service on it a couple of weeks back to get it ready for a road trip and aside from a knocking lower suspension bush it behaved perfectly.

Definitely going to need a bit of arch work and a bit of the typical front structure hacking out and replacing. Hopefully I can get that done soonish along with the lower suspension bush. It absolutely loved the curvy roads I took it on for the trip, definitely a noisy little twat on the motorway at anything above 65mph though.

I can definitely see why these are rated, great fun.

Beep beep

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Black.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll try and get a few photos with my DSLR once the battery for it has charged.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Any good to you? I can get more if neccessary.

https://ibb.co/album/s5FPhB

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I prefer they grey boys tbh. The polished ones look cheaper, weirdly...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/AntonyWrites/status/1317713214113763328?s=19

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I picked up an early NB and a 6th gear would been lovely and is the only thing I can honestly complain about. What's the instance of rot like where the car's located, particularly front chassis rails because after all it's an NB.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh really? That's odd. I never particularly felt like my 1.8 needed anything more in between! Maybe on a track it's a different matter.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I will not hear any velour slander.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nice

Blaze it

Hail Satan

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm looking forward to the weather getting a little less cold so I'm motivated to get into the workshop and take mine apart for spring.

Here's a question for you though, when I got my NB I babied it until I had time to give it a full service so I knew what sort of state it was in. Once I'd done that I started spanking it and I noticed in 4th about 4k onwards there's an odd kinda metallic ring that's barely noticeable. Elsewhere seems to suggest it's normal but have any of you noticed similar?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Voltage posted:

Ive had 2 Miata’s, 97 and 95 and they both do this - seems to not cause any issues but I’ve never found the cause, probably just some quirk of the 5 Speed.

Hikaki posted:

My 97 did this and my 2016 does this too. I can/could also hear/heard clunks from both cars coming from what I think is the diff if I don't shift perfectly. I think both are just normal mechanical noise that comes through the lack of sound insulation in these cars.

Thank you for the reassurance, I didn't notice it get any scarier sounding driving it to work and back beating on it a bit on the roads round by my house. I then took it on a 500 mile round trip a few weeks later and again, no change. Still disconcerting to notice a new noise the first time though!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dolemite posted:

The want for a Miata grows stronger. I regret letting the (now ex) wife make me sell it for a "reasonable" car. :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Like you could probably get an entire junkyard drivetrain for under $1000, tons of cheap and expensive aftermarket parts, etc.

This is why I bought one, I have a few cars which are now getting a lot harder to find parts for seeing as they're 30+ years old and I thought by buying one with a huge aftermarket/OEM following I could basically just save myself a headache.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That looks like a good time. Definitely need some video of this absolute lad.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

What's the generally accepted answer to the "what size wheels on an NA/NB MX5?" I'm just looking at the moment, it's way down the list but what fits and doesn't ruin the way the thing handles? Definitely thinking keeping the 15s because smol wheels are best.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ what are the specs on them my dude? Fully agree that sidewall is a strong look on a tiddly car like this. If I can actually get the tyres I'll go 14 but having a quick look it seems like that's seriously cutting down the choices I have with a set of 15s.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Haha is that rack mounted so you can still use the soft top? Fantastic.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A guy I bought a car off had one so I asked him about it and he said the fabric poo poo they put in the rear arches for noise dampening/stone catching can hold moisture against the paint and rot out the back of the sills.

Late edit because I've just found out that NCs are 5x114.3 too which is weird, NA/NB/ND are 4x100.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 25, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Boo, took it out for a tootle round the block and noted my clutch pedal seemed a bit harder than I remember. After a short period of time it reverted back to usual and then decided to go floppier than it should and refused to go into gear.

Clutch master is still full of juice so it doesn't seem like anything is leaking. Do the sages have any idea to narrow down the cause? NB if it matters.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Phone posted:

Slave cylinder? $20ish.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Could be an internal / bypass leak in the master, too.

Probably worth doing both of these considering it's £49 total for new ones. I love cars that have cheap parts!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yep I've ordered both plus a braided line so sometime soon in should be back in action. Thank you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nice, nice. How is it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ethanol posted:

Silver is a great color for the nc

Silver is such a boring colour though. At one point I swear every other car on the road here was silver.

(my NB is also silver :v:)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That just means one becomes a full bore race car.

Great idea.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The hard top was the reason I picked my NB up, it was a dealer selling a trade in and was up for £900. He said he'd had loads of people just after the hard top alone. The top isn't in the best condition and the car needs a bit of work doing but it has had one OAP owner for the last 18 years and had been just tootled around.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You seem to have forgotten that driving a car can be fun and the car itself helps a bunch with this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

I bought mine as a daft daily am I doing it wrong?

You're doing it wrong if you don't drive it, aye.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

If you'd like a second reason to hate them watch literally any video on their YouTube channel.

Ugh when I picked up my NB last summer my housemate showed me their video on 'which Miata is best?' and it was mostly just inane rambling for 15 minutes presented by some skinny kid with an intensely annoying voice. I believe my comment was "shitment industries"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh buddy, those wheels. Mazda speed MS02.

https://twitter.com/ND_rodokuro/status/1372961349001646080?s=19

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

What's the auto in the NDs like? I feel like when new car time comes back around the RF might be a viable option to but I think im over manuals.

Banging gears is the entire point of a little sports car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^^ that's niiiiiiiice

I guess while I'm pulling the front end off my NB to weld the chassis rails I should take a look to find out where the mystery oil(?!) leak is coming from. At least this gives me the excuse to go back in and install a new water pump. They sent me the wrong one last year but I didn't have time to wait for them to send the right one. Dickheads.