Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I really don't understand how anyone is getting this kind of mileage. I just finished driving through 8 (7.982) gallons of gas and I made it 162 (.5) miles. That's about 20 MPG. Taking into account that it is 140 city miles and 20 highway miles, and that those city miles are all before the car has warmed up, and also that I drive with the top down all the time, I'm still not coming anywhere close to the mileage that I should be getting. And there's no problems with the car, I'm not beating it ridiculously, I do have oversize tires on the car, but not enough to account for the difference in actual and reported mileage. No CELs, no codes in the ECU. No modifications other than a Flyin' Miata axle-back muffler. The air filter is clean, the oil is 2500 miles old.

2002 LS with 74K miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Partial Octopus posted:

The silver miata is a Miata LS. Does that just mean it has LSD?

It could also, possibly, have the uprated shocks. No guarantees, though.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnLaotz-kBY

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 10, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgzilEXQL8

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The fifth member of KISS?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BloodBag posted:

Now what?

Nothin'. People always drop all the suspension stroke out of their cars, which means they have to go up in spring rate and compression dampening to prevent bottoming out. The NB and NC Miata (and probably the NA too, but I haven't driven any) have always have a relatively long stroke. Sure, the car may roll a bit in the corners, and the front dips a bit under heavy braking, but that's part of what makes the ride and predictability (relatively) good.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Here is what happens when you have a rollover in a Miata with no rollbar:

And here is what a rollover in a Miata WITH a rollbar looks like:

So, here is you without a rollbar:

HTH!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

A good Sigma X post.

TBH I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but the Miata was still the most fun car I've owned and I greatly enjoyed all forms of motorsport I participated in while driving it. I was also never dumb enough to track it without a rollbar, or depend on the fiberglass hardtop for rollover protection, precisely because of pictures like those.

A NA-NC Miata's front windshield will fold like a napkin in even slow-speed rollover, and there is literally nothing else preventing the car from sitting flat other than the seatback and your spine. Don't track it without a rollbar, and don't buy one of those mousetrap "rollbars", either. Get something with proper chassis tie-in and bracing.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Trans Ferdinand posted:

In addition to having been registered longer than you, I've been reading this forum for longer than you - how's that?
In addition to being registered longer than you, I've also been reading the forums longer than you - how's that? I mean, as long as you're bragging about your e-dick, you'd better have the package to back it up, as one of our subforums friends found out recently.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Now that that's clarified...

Perhaps an analogy will help clarify. When you walk into a house, one of the first rooms you usually enter is the living room. It's the biggest one, and the one in which people spend the most time. You can tell a lot about a house, and the people that live there, by the state of their living room, and what's in it.

GBS is the living room of SA. It's the biggest forum, the one with the most posts, and the one where people spend the most time.
GBS, and forums-SA in general, started out as a no-holds barred insult comedy forum. Trolling, prank calls, making fun of disabled people, nothing was off limits. Sympathy threads were almost soundly used as an incitement to insult the person posting, unless the schadenfreude was too high, in which case seasoned posters would pretend to be sympathetic to milk more comedy from the story. Goons did not donate to charity, goons did not support progressive rights, and goons certainly did not shy away from insults that would be a probatable offense nowadays. GBS today is nothing more than an ADHD-fuelled in-joke at the forum that came after that forum.

And your litte call-out post probably would have been replaced with an E/N icon and you would have been banned.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Sure. It's also true that while Trump doesn't represent the population of America, he's probably doing incalculable damage to the reputation of America through his idiotic yelling.
wut

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Because I thought it was amusing that he would come out of a multiple-week posting hiatus, foaming at the mouth, to browbeat some track newbie. Then I found out Phone actually messaged him on Facebook, letting him know that some SERIOUS poo poo was going down in the Miata thread....which is perhaps even more hilarious.

AI is such a good forum, one of the best car-related forums on the net, because, for the most part, the shitheads like you are kept out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ethanol posted:

Calm the gently caress down forums posters

but i rated this thread a 5 and it lowtax told me to go hog wild

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ethanol posted:

want to hear about my insurance claim instead? I do too, the insurance company never called back about that police report..... :ohdear:

The only lovely, shifty insurance adjuster/company I have ever run into has been USAA.

EDIT: Meant non-lovely, non-shifty.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 1, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Oh Hey Phone, I saw you driving down Davis in the ND yesterday.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ionn posted:

I have a question that has been bugging me for some time. Which way is the proper way to orient the vents in an NA Miata?

"X" (as on the left side in this picture) or "+" (on the right)?

When I got the car, they were all in one of these orientations but I think I prefer the other (not telling which since I can't risk causing any bias).
Can't notice any difference in speed between the two. My car is some kind of dark metallic blue.

I always kept mine at + because it seemed more effective at separating out adjustment of horizontal and vertical air direction, but YMMV.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
There is a 2001 SE on BAT today and I submitted a bid on it. I'd like to strip it down for a track-only car. gently caress Special Edition.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Blaise posted:

My GF calls S2000s "the Honda Miata."

It's cute, but I don't let her say it with others around. I can't imagine knowing a person like that.

Mine calls them "the other Miata". When I told her I was going to go ahead with getting a Miata, she asked me if it was a Miata or an other Miata.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I am now the proud owner of a 2001 base. It came with a Bethania Garage Deuce (which I am removing), FM swaybars and endlinks, and 7 (that's right, SEVEN) paint colors. I will be completely removing all carpeting and sound deadening, removing the audio system the PO stuck in, and eventually replacing the stock seats with some nice race seats.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Anyone know of any reason to avoid permanently removing the "parcel shell bulkhead" out of an NB? It was sliced into multiple pieces by the previous owner to do a rollbar install, and since I'm pulling the current one out and replacing it with a Bethania M2 HCHT I'm left with either "cut even more holes into it", "buy a new one and only cut clearance for the HCHT", or "just leave the thing off, it's a track car".

And further into PO stereo install fuckery, he lost most of the door clips, completely removed the inner door card, and cut up the vapor barrier. Anyone know of a good alternative that I can (possibly) seal to the door? Like this, but for an NB?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
My HPDE registration calls the car's color "Harlequin".

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

Like the baby? :v:

I was thinking more like the VW paint scheme, but lol. It definitely has some inside bits on the outside at the moment.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Most of the POs' modifications have been dealt with. There is some slight surface rush on the passenger's side due to water ingress. I need to sand, paint and then seal the holes in the chassis from the previous rollbar, put the dash back in, cut the rear parcel shelf area to fit the new roll bar and install it, and then reinstall the seats. The Falkens have been mounted + balanced and are ready to go back on the car.

On another note, I have a Bethania Garage Deuce for NA or NB with fresh hardware available for anyone interested.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Most clubs (including NASA, BMWCCA, PCA, etc) want a diagonal and the Hard Dog satisfies that.

Sigma: I hope you got that thing for a song because god drat

I paid $3100 for it. Cheapest option I could find for an NB2 in two months of looking, that DIDN'T have structural rust or a rebuilt title.

It's already got FM swaybars, adjustable end links, a big aluminum radiator, (EDIT: Oh yeah, Superpro offset bushings,) the Deuce which I'm hoping to be able to sell for a few hundred, and a fresh soft-top and top hardware which I'm hoping to be able to sell for a few hundred.

Voltage posted:

I would be interested if it was good enough for track days but I assume I would need a real deal hard dog or blackbird fabworx diagonal for that.

The Deuce is a solid roll bar, it's from the same maker as all the Hard Dog series, but it's not legal for most clubs because it's a dual-hoop design, meant to look like old-school roadster like the Cobra:

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 11, 2018

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Anyone know of a list/collection of racing seats that will fit in a NB without hammering the transmission tunnel into oblivion?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ionn posted:

... But how the heck do I get this out? ...

Remove the bezel around the entire set of center console units, push in retaining clips on the sides of the unit you want to remove, pull towards front to get some space, remove plugs from behind, remove entirely.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ionn posted:

Ah, thanks. That bezel appears to be screwed in at the bottom, so it seems I have to take out the lower "between-the-seats" part first.

Also every youtube video about Miata stereo installs seem to be done by dweebs.
Front of the armrest/center console:

(somewhat hacked up) Bezel, minus the two screw tabs you're talking about. Take note of the poppable tabs on the perimeter:

Bottom of the tombstone, where those two screw tabs (usually) attach:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Hardtops occasionally pop up up on the local forum for around $500-$800 and I kind of want one but always conclude it's not really worth it.

I think it depends very much on the area. I consider myself lucky to have found a non-defrost hardtop for $750 where I live - most of them are asking 900-1100.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
So, for those SCCA Solo'ers in the thread, what the HELL class is a base '01 with a torsen swap, no interior carpets or sound deadening, aftermarket ARBs, intake, strut brace? SSM due to the interior missing?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

They are like a foot long. This is clearly a ratchet strap job.

What's your cage? Miatacage? Did you have it wielded in nearby?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

lol miata cage

competition cages in hillsborough does an alright job

I took a look at their gallery, wasn't particularly impressed.

CC vs MC

Maybe I just don't know what to look for.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Voltage posted:

Good to know! Might have to skip it then.

Like one or two notches forward on the seat gives enough clearance to not destroy your skull.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Next up, in Previous Owner Tomfoolery:

Located passenger-side floor. What you guys think?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
My real question is, but why? They cut out a piece of the floor and (poorly) welded it back in? Por que?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BloodBag posted:

Maybe someone crushed the box section under the floor there and pounded it back out from the inside?

...anything's possible! But, that one may be the winner.

Suburban Dad posted:

Can't think of a good reason why in that spot. That's on the passenger side floor just in front of the bulkhead/ECU mount area, right?
It's passenger footwell, just in front of the front seat mount bump. You can just make it out here:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

It's not at all crazy when the fiberglass version with an acrylic window is $1500 plus around $600 shipping. $2100 for a hard top and acrylic rear window with no seals, AND you have to mount/affix the window to the top yourself? Might as well just go with a Treasure Coast fiberglass top and window at that point and be up a grand.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
What's the "Best" NB Miata shop book?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ethanol posted:

Low intake pressure in turbo is the “lag”anybody talks about. It can be caused by low rpms or low throttle. It’s real pedantic to call one boost threshold and the other lag.

I’m not sure where you got the idea that low rpms and low throttle have to be exclusively different named types of turbo power loss. They both mean the turbo is essentially in a lower output state waiting for you to increase power to its fan so it can compress air. The “lag” time after you start delivering power and the fan actually compresses air is definitely not what people solely mean by turbo lag.

Anyways you must start a whole lot of arguments over this so you might already begin to see the err in your reasoning. “The turbo don’t do nuthin at low rpms until you get to higher ones is the pretty standard layman definition of lag dude

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong. The rpm that the turbo starts making additional power, and turbo lag, are two totally different things to *most* any enthusiast.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

DeNofa posted:

So does antilag fix turbo lag or adjust the boost threshold? :iiam:

It fixes turbo lag.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

Itt nerds argue about spool and lag.

I mean, yeah, it's too cold to rip the suspension out of my Miata right now, so might as well argue about dumb poo poo online.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BloodBag posted:

This is for an NA/NB miata, so new OEM ones are no longer made as far as I know. There are other companies making carbon ones by now, but the fitment is the same as the snugtop, which is not as good as OEM. Houston's market for hardtops is pretty scarce and rarely under $1000. I mean at the moment there is only one listed, it's OEM but it's in bad shape, and it's $1000.

Selling anything for over $300 on craigslist is always a pain in the rear end, but I do have the ability to deliver the top to wherever since I have a pickup. I just don't want to be the idiot sitting in a starbucks parking lot waiting on a no-show. I usually only use my email address to do CL, since that already weeds out 90% of flakes that just will text you and disappear.

I guess I'll put it up for $1000 and be up-front about it being a snugtop (unlike the guy I bought it from) and see if I get any bites.

Actually, Mazda just started making NA/NB hardtops fresh from the factory recently as part of the Roadster Refresh program. Someone on another Miata-specific forum I occasionally browse just picked one up, the cost is roughly $1700.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/phatmiata/45992764524/

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 17, 2019

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Atomizer posted:

So it sounds like it's a seller's market near you just out of scarcity, although I can see Houston having a smaller market than in Chicago, for comparison, due to weather. I wouldn't worry about no-shows, as for this sort of thing the actual interested parties will maintain contact due to the aforementioned scarcity.

You can use a disposable Google Voice number in addition to e-mail, by the way. Definitely be honest about it being a snugtop.

That's actually a pretty reasonable price, presumably after freight? That includes the glass window with defroster, right? How about latches, trim? Even if you have to get it painted that's not so bad for a brand-new OEM top.

$1700 was what the guy paid to pick it up from his local dealership. Glass window, defrost, latches, trim. The only thing that needs to be done to drop it on the car is to paint it over the black gelcoat it comes with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Voltage posted:

I'm about to install my new shocks/mounts/boots and energy bushings, but I figure I may as well replace my springs as well since they are from 1994 - anything a good pairing for kyb AGX shocks? I drive on pretty trash roads so I do not want to slam it - but less body roll would be nice for some autox and track usage.

I have a 1995 NA

Have you contacted KYB and asked them about spring rate suggested for that model of shock?

Alternately, the FM springs have been a good street option for years. https://www.flyinmiata.com/na-flyin-miata-springs.html
At 320/230 rate they are going to be pretty compliant (while being, like, twice as stiff as stock). If you're willing to accept a more harsh ride for a racier feel, then you might want to look at some higher-rate springs. Alternately, if it's just body roll you're trying to prevent - upgrade your ARBs.

EDIT: vvv https://www.flyinmiata.com/na8-flyin-miata-sway-bars.html They are metal bars that connect the left and right side suspension bits. Primarily used to control the amount of lateral roll on a front axle/rear axle ratio. You don't really want to gently caress with that ratio that much unless you're looking into motorsports. Pre-designed combinations are probably your best bet; strengthening your frot ARB without strengthening the rear leads to understeer, and vice versa, oversteer.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 24, 2019