Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If pedestrians don't want to be hit then they shouldn't stand in the road. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

oh god i joined a local miata facebook group or two and they're full of ricers and now i am unclean

Phone stop reading Mia.... oh, nevermind.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Depending on your insurance company you may or may not be able to add it to your policy online, and deal with any price issues that may or may not arise as a result with your agent of choice.

Also I doubt any police officer would actually ticket you for not having insurance for a car you bought literally less than two hours ago on a Saturday afternoon. Assuming you manage to park it when you get home until Monday instead of driving around town all weekend.

He just needs to bring his current insurance card with him. Insurance usually covers both the car and the driver as separate entities, so he'd be covered if he is temporarily driving a rental or borrowing someone else's car, as long as it isn't yet in his name and is only a temporary situation. Once he gets it home and gets it registered in his name, then yeah, he'd need to get it added to have it properly covered by his insurance.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I used to drive my MR2 in the snow and that's even less of a winter car than a Miata, just use proper winter tires and go do some donuts in an empty ice rink parking lot to get a feel for poo poo and you'll be fine.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Commodore_64 posted:

I have a Maita tire question. I live in the great Pacific Northwest, and do a lot of driving along the Columbia River Gorge. It's starting to get towards winter, and I was looking for a tire that can deal well with the cool weather, downpours, and occasional ice/very shallow snow. I currently rock BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S and want something that won't hydroplane in the lovely ruts left by the semis that infest I-84. I've been looking at X-Ices or Blizzak WS series tires in 14" for the winter, but those seem more ice/snow oriented and I want to know if anyone else has other opinions.

Just get good all seasons, Portland area seriously doesn't get anywhere near enough snow/ice to justify dedicated snow tires unless you're planning on driving to the ski resorts or something. Just call out from work the 1-2 days of actual snow or ice we may or may not get each year.

I'd rather have some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Conti Sport DWs for the 6 months of steady downpour than to buy snow tires that will really only be better for 1-3 days every other year.

(I've driven in every snow dusting or black ice storm the Portland area's had for 20 years on all seasons and never had any trouble or accidents from it)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Did you guys get a week+ of snow last year like we did in the south valley?

We got about 2 days of snow and one of melting slush. Since most businesses shut down there wasn't really much reason to leave the house until it started melting anyways.

Commodore_64 posted:

I'm specifically concerned about I-84, I spend several days out of the week commuting from east of Hood River into downtown Portland. Portland is a bit more temperate than the Gorge, which averages snowfall from 3-11" for 4 months out of the year. It's also below 45 in the morning starting right about now and dropping down to around freezing for the upcoming months. If your experience is that it's fine, sure, but I was finding it a bit annoying last year.

Edit: I've only been doing this for a little over a year now, I don't have a good idea if its always like this, but here's this thing: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USOR0162

Well poo poo, if you're that far out in the boonies then yeah, you should get some snow tires. I live and work just off of I-85 but still in the urban area, anything much farther east and the elevation changes enough to significantly increase the amount of snow.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 24, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

I just left my local Miata FB groups, it was too stupid to handle.

User: HAY I JUST GOT A 2006 WANT TO MOD ITTTTT GOT TOYOS BUT I'M THINKING MAYBE EXHAUST AND PROGRESSIVE SPRINGZ

Me: What do you want to accomplish? You'll want to set a goal for your mods - handling? acceleration? top speed? comfort?

User: IDK I'M MORE OF A FUNCTION OVER FORM GUY DONT CARE WUT THE CAR LOOKS LIKE AS LONG AS IT PERFORMZ

Me: So do you want a track car? Sporty DD?

User 2: HEY DONT WORRY ABOUT SLAMMING IT YOU CAN GET PRETTY LOW AND NOT WORRY ABOUT PERFORMENCANENZENZE

User: SWEET BRO I WANT SOME EXHAUST TOO

User 2: OH YEAH ALL GOOD BRO THAT WILL WORK

User: SWEET BRO

You just posted every thread on every car forum for any car out there that is even remotely sporty and also not here in AI.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Harmburger posted:

True. My wife was upset at first when I bought my Miata because it was a standard. After a month or so, she drives it perfectly fine, and even finds it more enjoyable, as I do.

My wife was apprehensive about learning to drive stick when we got a manual as our only car; a few lessons and a couple weeks practice later, and she said we can't buy any more automatic cars.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

n8r posted:

So a person with a bad enough back to get themselves into and out of a loving miata but too bad to use their left leg to manipulate a pedal?

My wife doesn't like driving my miata because it's tiny and noisy and she has a ~20 minute highway drive to work (but she does enjoy poking around town in the summer with the top down). Anyone that is driving anything but an automatic in hours of traffic is a better man than me. No way would I own a stick in a high traffic area.

I used to commute with both my bike and my manual car in an hour long string of bumper to bumper traffic each way on I-205 for a couple months. My left hand/foot were so goddamn buff from the workout.

My wife's over 6' tall with 35"+ inseam and her favourite cars are Miatas and other tiny roadsters. And now she wants a manual one to go with her bad (arthritic, inherited from her dad) knees. I love my wife, she's as masochistic as I am. :swoon:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Honestly the best way to stiffen up a Miata is using it as a donor for a Locost or Exocet.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

I've been asking myself a similar rhetorical question to Coredump's. I'd like a street car that's equivalent to a hardtop Miata for driving in the wet season, as I can't see worth a drat in a Miata with the top up or a hard top latched on, even with foamectomy (traffic lights are above the windscreen for me, I have a long trunk). I pretty much only drive my NA with the top down and the knowledge that I will fail the broomstick test. I have the Saabaru but can't really enjoy it without excessive speeding.

But yeah, light, cheap, fixed roof, backseat would be nice - natural response is E30, but all the E30s have been mutilated.

Other rhetorical question, I wonder how fast in a line the 2.0 ND will be compared to the S2k.

240sx? Or maybe a Z3 coupe. But pretty much the things you want are the same things every enthusiast wants, so cars meeting those criteria get inflated prices since clean non-thrashed examples of such cars only get rarer with age. Which is why Miatas end up being the end choice for so many, since with millions of them sold they're one of the few enthusiast cars that's stayed consistently cheap, just from sheer volume flooding the market.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It's never worth buying someone else's half-assed project. Stock is always the preferred way to buy a car, no matter what the car and what the intent is, because the rule of previous owners states that for every one decent change the PO has made, there will be at least two WTF mods that will make you want to tear your hair out.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

drat, I'd love to get one of those brochures to go with my JDM RX-8 brochure. The Japanese market brochures Mazda puts out are always beautifully made.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Kinda wish they'd bring back the Nordic Green they had in the early '00s on the RX-8. It was pretty. Or maybe the Black Cherry Mica from the original RX-8 Shinka, that was great too.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Guinness posted:

Apparently when goons "outgrow" Miatas they buy E46s.

I graduated from an MR2 to an E46. Kinda similar.

e: and the last car I looked at before I plunked down for the E46 was a Miata.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Phone posted:

Goofy rear end transmission ratios have been posted:

Gear Ratios:
MT
1st 5.087
2nd 2.991
3rd 2.035
4th 1.594
5th 1.286
6th 1.000
Reverse 4.696
Final Drive 2.866

That final drive can't be right, that's like a 70's V8 luxobarge final drive ratio. :psyduck:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It's a Miata. Does your wife not realize the top goes down or something? Because that is your AC and it always works, no compressors needed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Also what's wrong with straight up red anymore? Soul Red Premium Metallic :rolleyes:

It deserves the fancy name as it's seriously one of the best looking reds I've ever seen on a car. I've seen a few 3s and 6s with it and it's amazing when it's out in the sun.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Also noticed in the pics that Bose did the audio, wtf Mazda :colbert:

They've had Bose audio in the Miatas since at least the NC though :confused:

I too wish they'd use someone reputable instead of all-marketing/no-R&D crap like Bose

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ethanol posted:

I guess the advantages of such an LSD are questionable at best on the track when you're talking about low torque sports cars. Lotus for example doesn't put slip control in the light lower powered elise because it doesn't need one....step it up to the more powerful exige and lotus puts in TCS. but in terms of the cheap daily driving rwd cars I would definitely be happier with some sort of slip control on my next one for road conditions

Part of that is that the Lotuses are also mid-engined. The extra weight in the back makes it much harder to spin the tires than in a traditional RWD layout. First gen and non-turbo second gen MR2s don't have LSDs either for the same reason - if you've lost traction with one wheel in a mid engine car, chances are good you've lost traction with both wheels and are now in snap oversteer land.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
At least it's not BMW, who sells 300+ HP RWD V8s and turbocharged I6s for $50,000+ prices without offering the option of spending a couple $K to have them throw in an LSD (that costs them at most $500 more than an open diff to install) at the factory (unless you want to spend another $10-20k buying an M3/M5, etc).

Surely it would not kill them to offer an LSD as yet another overpriced option? (LSDs used to be an option -usually included if you got the cold weather pack- on almost all their cars until the late 90's/early 00's) I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd pay an extra $2000 for an LSD in their 335 or what have you, it's not like any of the German brands ever shy away from having the base car be a stripper and then letting you add another 50% of the price on in options, why should an LSD be different?

Sure, traction control works fine in most situations, but for cars that are likely to be bought by people who will track them, at least make it available. It really screws over people who are racing in classes that require you to leave the car stock, like SCCA Solo stock classes, since you can't even throw in an aftermarket one, so if there's no factory option you're just hosed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The two must have options on a Miata for me are the suspension/brake/LSD goodies, and heated seats. A convertible without heated seats is criminal.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 8, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Cooling seats would be awesome as well, if I had decent cooling seats I would have no need for a/c tbh.

Yeah, but heated seats vastly increase the number of days out of the year you can get away with having the top down if you live somewhere other than California or Florida.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The new avatar wasn't helping. I'm just confused by AI this week.

As soon as I got halfway through that post I double checked the username because I know Phone cannot stop touching the poop.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I'm in the same boat, ten years ago I was pretty drat fluent and knew all the kana and could read kanji at about 2nd grade level but not using it at all for a decade+ is making it hard to remember anything but the most basic grammar. :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Yeah, I really should learn... 30's not too old to learn to drive stick, is it? I changed continents right around the time everyone learned how to drive so I was playing catch-up; none of my friends had manual transmission vehicles and nor did any of the driving schools the 3 or 4 times I called around.

I taught my wife to drive stick at age 39. She passed a DMV driving test in a manual a few months ago (she didn't get her old NY license transferred to Oregon before it expired so she had to retake the whole testing experience as if she were a new driver).

It's not hard and only takes an hour or two to get the basics, and a few days of driving before you stop having the occasional stall at stoplights.

E: bonus points in that now that she can drive a manual, she enjoys driving a lot more and wants to try other sporty cars now.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 2, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Working on cars is a lot more enjoyable when it's not your only means of transportation and you're not in a time crunch to get things done.

It's why everyone should have one perpetual project car and one reliable daily. :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Rhyno, we've come to a conclusion.

It's not your friends that are terrible. It's the entire region you live in. We have no choice but to launch MIRVs at the place - we're giving you and your family alone advance warning so you can have 8 hours to evacuate; then Indiana will become not the state it wants to be, but the parking lot it deserves to be.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

edit: Since you brought up bro trucks, How can i drive a lifted truck without it being a bro truck? I honestly want a modestly lifted one on off-road tires but im so sad and insecure i care what other people think. Hillary bumper sticker right above the confederate flag sticker?

According to Kastein and others in the awful car stuff thread, you put much bigger tires on it and only a very tiny amount of lift, since the main thing you want is ground clearance, and a suspension lift does not give you that (since your axles don't get any further from the ground with a suspension lift). The only way to get more clearance is by having bigger tires to raise your axles higher, and by having good suspension articulation, a lift is pretty useless for offroading.

If you're just doing it for looks, then yeah, you are probably insecure about your penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GutBomb posted:

It is so much quieter than the nameless exhaust I put on the FRS which rumbled the whole house.

My first car (old V8 Camaro with more-or-less straight pipes) would set off the neighbor's car alarm if I revved it in my driveway. :getin:

I can always tell when my wife is taking our BMW out of the garage because I can hear the exhaust rumbling through the floor when I'm upstairs.

I'd love to have a four banger with an exhaust that rumbly/growly without sounding like a hive of bees armed with whoopie cushions as soon as the revs go up.

e:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

"Attempted manslaughter" is like someone saying "I was electrocuted". You can only reply with "No, you were not".

https://www.justia.com/criminal/docs/calcrim/500/603.html :shrug:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 26, 2015