Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My 1991 drivers side pop-up is stuck open. If I dial the light motor clockwise it will close and then immediately pop back up. This is going to be fun to figure out. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ShaneB posted:

My 1991 drivers side pop-up is stuck open. If I dial the light motor clockwise it will close and then immediately pop back up. This is going to be fun to figure out. Help?

I fixed this today btw. It was very hot to the touch which made me feel like power was AOK, but something just wrong elsewhere. I read a bunch about diodes inside failing, but also heard to just clean up the contacts first as well. I removed the headlight motor, opened up the bottom control unit area, and cleaned off the 3 brass prongs that control power flow to the actual motor itself and generally tried to remove anything that looked like residue. Put it back together reinstalled it and bingo. Hardest part was getting the actuator arm back onto the motor correctly afterwards.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Korean sticky summer tires in 15" are already laughably cheap. Makes up for doing things like replacing the entire clutch line and master/slave garbage because my car is 28 years old.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm planning on getting a new clutch in my 91 this winter, either doing the work myself or buying all the parts and having a mechanic do it. Any suggestions for which one to get, what else to do while everything is apart, etc? I was also going to get a new header (which I already have) and exhaust put on since I don't think the stock one is going to survive being removed anyway.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Voltage posted:

That makes me super jealous, been spending the better part of a year fixing this rusty, insanely neglected 01 BRG SE.

Just finished the head gasket and timing belt. Really proud of my past self for only labeling about 1/4 of the bolts when I took it all apart :negative:

How bad was this job? I'm planning on doing it this winter. I hear the primary issues are torquing off some of the main bolts, and also tensioning the lower thingamabob to spec is exceptionally important.

I'm also uncertain about keeping the cams in place, and pushing the new seals to the right depth. I was informed even the flying miata tool for that isn't 100% correct.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Have any of you read that insane stereo guru on the Miata forum talking about how every stock NA has miswired headrest speakers? I honestly can't determine how you are supposed to test for and FIX this issue.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

New soft top day! I value my time and sanity more than my money, so I'm having one of those shops-in-the-industrial-warehouse-area-run-by-a-65-year-old-dude install it. Will be nice to be able to drive even when it's threatening rain.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The.... Belt? Water pump? Noise is back pretty aggressively. This seems to happen once it's really warmed up, especially.

https://youtu.be/bAkMjZdGXGM

I took photos of the belt spinning because I'm unsure if that is loose or what.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phone posted:

your pulley boss is hosed (and/or your water pump bearings have given up the ghost)

when was the last time you did TB + WP

Yeah, this is my thinking as well. I'm planning on doing the TB/WP this winter once I take the car offline. I was hoping to drive it more this year, but...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm saving up for like 4 years to get a used 2019 in like 2023 with cash, I guess. Because no way I am financing a car ever again.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

Do you have extremely bad credit or something? Used car are a little different but with new cars you can usually borrow at pretty low rates.

I’m not necessarily financially savvy but you’d probably be better off putting whatever cash you save into a 5-year CD and getting a loan anyway. That way it helps your credit, and the interest you get from the CD will be near to or even more than what you paid in interest on the loan.

I don't want to pay 30k+ for a car is all. I buy slightly used cars with cash. My current non-NA-Miata car is a 2015 golf sportwagen I let someone else eat like 16k of value loss on over 3 years.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, but now you have the privilege of owning a cheap German car out of warranty.

Yep, it's great honestly.

Never change, AI.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Looking to replace my clutch and the old stock exhaust that likely won't even be able to be reused once it comes off to replace the clutch.

91 NA 1.6

Any suggestions for a stock clutch replacement kit? I won't be doing more than bolt-ons so doesn't need to handle power, just some spirited driving.

I'm currently looking at this cat-back system: https://mossmiata.com/1990-1997-miata/exhaust/exhaust-systems-mufflers-pipes-tips/cat-back-performance-exhaust-system-by-cobalt-1

I have an aftermarket header from my brother he never installed, and was going to get some compatible free-flowing cat as well. The Cobalt has a good low tone and isn't very expensive, so it seemed like a fine choice.

This isn't exactly a cherry NA specimen so I'm trying to avoid a lot of cash put into it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Short story:
91 I bought from my brother last year. I believe it has a new alternator.
Battery toast after winter storage because I didn't put on a trickle.
Jump it, drive it around, revs dipping when I put turn signal on, radio dying, etc. Dies on me close to home and I take the battery to Advance where the thing was from just a year ago or so, apparently. (Dated 3/19). They throw it on the slow charger for a few days and I come back and it still tests "replace," so I get a new one under warranty.

I put the new battery in, car starts great, drives great. I take it for a long Memorial Day ride (60 miles), stop a few times, it starts great, that kinda stuff. I then park it a half mile from home for a quick booze stock up and it doesn't start. Click click click click click over and over. Walk home, my wife and I jump it with our other car, and get it home.

What the heck? Where do I go from here?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

That sounds suspiciously like a bad alternator. Or at least a non-functional charging system (could be a bad wire/connection somewhere).

How can I diagnose a bad wire, this sounds like a pooper of a thing to chase down

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Eyud posted:

The Peak to Peak Miata Club (the mailing list is still more active than the web site which is in the process of being updated)

No membership required to join a drive though, anyone is welcome to just show up.

I live here as well but haven't made it out. Should I?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Eyud posted:

Would be happy to. Once you're settled in hit me up and we'll go drive around in the mountains.

Get at me too!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I had the soft top on my NA replaced last fall. Kept it up all winter to stretch. I still basically can't get it to attach back after lowering it, without another friend pulling as hard as they can. Is there a trick to this? It's frustrating as hell.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phone posted:

Park it in the sun

This doesn't really help putting it up on a regular basis though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elysium posted:

You can extend the latches by opening then and popping out a tab which exposes a threaded rod.

But the same thing happened to me, new top was hard as gently caress to close for quite a while, needed two people and muscle sometimes.

I think you may have just saved my relationship with this car.