Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I haven't had a chance to read all this thread yet, only halfway through. BUT, how the hell are you 6+ footers fitting in these drat cars? I went to find a NB yesterday to sit in at a couple of dealerships. They all jerked me around because I guess I don't look like a serious car buyer. I finally got frustrated and went to a Mazda dealership to see if they had any older NB's in stock.

When I got there of course they didn't have any. I still decided to take the opportunity to sit in an NC even though I know they are a lot roomier inside than an NB. Now I'm only 5'10" on the best of days and I had the seat all the way back and leaned back as far as it would go. If I slouched in the seat I was okay but I sat up straight I was in the roof. This was a soft top also.

Is there really that much room to be gain with a NB and foamectomy? Does anyone here have aftermarket seats in their car? Does it give you a lot more room? I admit I'm a fat fucker but I have room around the steering wheel and all the other places being a fat fucker would cause problems. I just can't believe how hard my head is in the roof of this thing.

If only 240's were not impossible to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elysium posted:

If you're 5'10 you really shouldn't have any problem at all.

I'm 6'0 and only touch my head to the roof if I sit up all the way straight, a position no one would ever drive in. I keep the seat forward one notch from all the way back, which allows you to lean the seat back another inch or so. My standard driving position gives me at least a few inches of headroom. Being... wide... probably gives you an overall feeling of crampedness which you are projecting towards a feeling of limited headroom.

I don't get it. Maybe I grew since my last physical but I'm all of 5'10" on a good day and my head was IN that NC's roof. I had the spreader bars for the top resting on my scalp. I had to slouch to the point that I could tell it wouldn't be comfortable for a long drive before I could get out of the roof.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

I have a 1999 NB and am 6'1" and not fat. Before I removed foam from the seat my head cleared the roof by about 1/2" and with a helmet I was touching the roof (very annoying btw). I removed foam from the bottom of the seat and now I fit with about 1/2" space when I am wearing the helmet (and it has never touched the roof, even when hitting bumps/etc). Without a helmet I am a good 1.5" below the roof.

If I were you, I would try to find someone in your area that has foam removed and see if they will let you sit in their cars before you think about buying one/etc. There are a ton of miata.net people that will probably let you do that.

I'll see what happens on Miata.net then. How friendly are they to new people just jumping in and saying "I need to sit in your car!"? I know a lot of automotive forums have a newbie area they make you post in 10 times or more.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Schwack posted:

I dunno how you guys are barely fitting in. Im 6'3 and fit without ANY modification to the seats at all. Its almost all the way back and slightly tilted. Perfect fit for me. Although, I'll probably have to do a foamectomy if I want to fit in there with a helmet on and the top up.

I wish I could get someone like you to go with me to go check out a Miata. At this point something is not adding up. Either I'm not really 5'10" or you're not really 6'3". That's a 5 inch height difference and my head was IN the roof and you can fit fine? I know my rear end isn't THAT big.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Schwack posted:

MIATA MEGATHREAD: Not For Fat-Asses

:( But I have a really good personality...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Is it just me or are prices going way up on these cars? All the ones I see are around $5,000 or so with +150,000 miles. Jesus Christ.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I figured I'll quote myself from where I posted this in another thread.

Step 1. Get a Miata.

Step 2. Strip the body from the drivetrain.

Step 3. Add some scaffolding.

Step 4. End up with two fat blokes and a fun looking machine.

The machine is a MEV Exocet. It an exoskeleton car that basically sits on top of the Miata drivetrain with not modifications to the suspension or subframes. It supposed to be the cheapest, easiest kit car to assemble to give you an Lotus 7 or Ariel Atom type car. Weight loss has been listed as over 300kgs to half the total vehicle weight, which wikipedia has as 980kg for the NA when it launched.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

How much for the kit?

From the MEV website: http://www.mevltd.co.uk/exocet_price.htm

quote:

BUILD THE MEV EXOCET FOR LESS THAN £2,000 including VAT

This includes the cost of an MX5 donor !
The MEV EXOCET is MX5 based with an enormously improved power to weight ratio. It takes only 2 hours to remove the body shell, leaving a rolling chassis. Over a million MX5’s have been sold since 1989, they have excellent dynamics and bullet proof reliability. You don’t see them in scrap yards so you can sell the parts you’re not going to use for more than it cost for the whole car! Opt for a 1.6 (120bhp), or 1.8 (131bhp). MK1, MK2 or 2.5. The best bargains are MOT failures in the autumn. Always lots on Ebay. The sale of the parts you don't need can make a massive difference to the cost of your Exocet. MX5 spares are always in high demand but sell for higher prices in the spring and summer and fetch more if they are removed, cleaned and have good photos.

The fully comprehensive kit includes; a fully bracketed chassis & integral roll bar, alloy floor panels, alloy transmission tunnel, front & rear bulkheads, side panels, grille mesh, 4 wing mounts, nut & bolt pack, roll of brake pipe, roll of edge trim, p clips, self tappers & rivets, GRP bonnet, rear cover, lower rear panel and wings, vinyl graphics set, colour choices: yellow, orange, black, white, red, light green, and mid blue.

MEV EXOCET - THE EASIEST KIT CAR IN THE WORLD TO BUILD

Fully comprehensive kit INCLUDING VAT @ 20% £2640.00
Plus MX5 donor, from £400 on Ebay, but say plus £450.00
Ebay spares, see summary here, sales reduce cost by say £1100

TOTAL INCLUDING VAT @ 20% £1990

I have no idea how much it would be to get a kit shipped over to the US but one guy already has in Georgia. He's posting a build thread
part 1: http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=exocet&action=display&thread=719
part 2:http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=exocet&action=display&thread=961

he says:

quote:

Shipping/importing - looks like this will be around £1200 including a case and packing. However, Stuart mentioned that the cost of shipping over two kits is almost identical to shipping one. If that is the case, I think those of us in the US should consider going in together and having the kits shipped in pairs. It sounds silly for us to waste the extra money on shipping when we could be putting that cash back into the build.

When we hear an update from Stuart on the status of the LHD kits, we should explore this option.

Read more: http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=exocet&action=display&thread=719#ixzz1LJGrOGEb

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Its funny this post goes up but all the Exocet guys have to part out all the parts they don't use so if you go look at the various build threads they have going a lot of them will post their parting out advice and experience. From what I've gathered they say:

-clean up the part a little
-take good photos
-price a little below what the salvage yards ask
-include a buy it now option

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

Mother of God, it's like a 911 and a 280Z got together and had a baby. I think I like it!

Where do I get one?

Well, MEV is making a kit that makes the Miata look like this:

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mevx5_specs.htm

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah I know. Makes me wonder if there would be some way to make just the glass pop up?

Edit: The other thing I don't like is how narrow they make the front hood opening.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 3, 2011

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What is it about the Miata that attracts taller people trying to shoehorn themselves into the car?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tall people aren't happy with other people's approval, a greater chance of winning the presidency and vastly improved chances of overall financial and professional success. They also want to take away our tiny gay cars.

And here I thought tiny gay cars was my harbor, my "safe space" in life. But no, they want to take that away from me too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

martinlutherbling posted:

So I'm still trying to find an NA to sit it, no success yet. But it got me thinking, there's a good chance that the Miata just won't work for a big dude like myself. With that in mind, I'm wondering what else I should consider?
If you couldn't have a Miata, what would you have instead? I just want a cheap rwd roadster and it seems like the Miata IS the market :mad:

I've seen people cut out and lower the floor pan.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

martinlutherbling posted:

I still haven't sat in an NA, but if I do ant it doesn't fit I'm not gonna go welding in a new floor pan.

Quitter.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Thanks for the backstory on that. Didn't Moti from Blackbird Fab run shocks from Shaikh?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

Agreed. There is discussion and there is hand holding. Pick up the phone and call around. Not hard.

What's wrong with asking for the price people have paid in their part of the country to get a mental idea what to expect?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

crutt posted:

I'm back! Picked up this 97 with 18x,xxx miles for 1700 a few days ago. Completely stock, runs well but needs a complete refreshing and checkup.. and brakes... and suspension.. First NA and I think I already like it more than my NB.

That is a smoking deal and I'm a little jelly.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That series of videos is better than anything that comes on tv for car shows. That dude was super meticulous too. I need to rewatch that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It seems really weird to me that an automatic Miata would need a tranny cooler but I've given up on trying to understand the logic behind Mazda decisions.

I wonder if you could turn that trans cooler into an oil cooler somehow.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

All specific car forums are terrible, all non specific car forums are worse.

Nissan s chassis forums are a special breed of stupid. Although I shudder to think what Subaru forums would be like.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nice work man.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Great Beer posted:

Am I right in assuming this was pretty much all 76s fault?

Seemed like 13 bumped him twice before he moved right.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Larrymer posted:

That sounds like the placebo effect to me. It ain't gran turismo where you change the oil and gain 10hp. :v:

Trans is more noticeable on a high miles car with original fluid, though, sure.

I think you're right about placebo, but dammit I feel it too when I do a fresh oil change. Atomizer you're not alone!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FatCow posted:

You guys who claim you can feel a difference in the tractor motor wanabe that is the BP series crack me up.

Well the tractor motor wanabe that I experience this in is a ka24de but close enough, and tractor enough.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Did fresh oil change, can confirm increased jinba ittai. Also did a wash and wax for maximum.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've recently stumbled upon a Miata Kart facebook group. What they do is strip off all fenders and doors leaving just the unibody that connects to the drivetrain and then cage it. It looks pretty temping to me. Someone is swapping a used engine into an ex nc-cupcar and it looks like it will be ballin.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I had a grouchy 3rd gear that no lie Amsoil seemed to help with. Plus it gave me speed AND class.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

krnhotwings posted:

Hmmm, got an NC? My NC's 3rd gear doesn't like being short-shifted anywhere under 4k when the transmission's cold. But when it's nice and hot, no issues.

I actually don't have a Miata at the moment. Usually I'm talking about my 240sx when I mention car stuff. :downs:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I saw a Miata with a Cummins 4bt this weekend.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Miata parts for sale on Facebook seems willing to ship and has good prices from what I've seen. Also Miata Karts of Murica probably has folks with parts to sell as they ghettocet their Miatas.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mekilljoydammit posted:

Enh; I'm about 95% sure you can make a Duratec bolt into an NA/NB by juggling transmission casings and not having to actually make/buy anything major. I don't need a second project Miata though.

Project Ugly Horse was a foxbody mustang that was going to use a Focus ST 2.3 Ecoboost mated to an NC transmission. Apparently they bolt right together.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/features/a8020/project-ugly-horse-miata-transmission/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Someone post pics of this keychain.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What’s the proper way to move the piston back into the calipers?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GD_American posted:

That's not the problem. The problem is it won't be road legal anymore.

Salvage titling a car in Alabama means bringing it to someone licensed (and when I called around the region for my Saab, nooooo body shop wanted to to touch that kind of work), they have to keep a build book and complete provenance of all the parts, and then the state inspector goes over everything, and it must be fully restored to pre-accident condition.

Like I said. Extra stupid.

I'd be happy to sell it to someone looking to do an Exocet conversion or something similar, but I quit running with the SCCA here when I went back to grad school and don't know anyone.

If you were to do a goon sale how much would you be interested in getting?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elysium posted:

Why do so many Miatas for sale have aftermarket steering wheels?

Airbags? Who needs that poo poo? Look this steering wheel has wood on it!

I'd imagine its something along the lines of this.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/do-airbags-need-to-be-replaced-at-a-certain-age-245010

quote:

Exceptions
Admittedly, there are a few exceptions, but they primarily relate to older cars with airbags dating to the mid-1990s and earlier.

Older vehicles used different materials in the airbag igniter, which may wear faster over time than the material used in modern cars. This results in some older cars requiring airbag replacements after a decade or 15 years to ensure the airbag is working properly. Unfortunately, this replacement can be pricey, so most owners don't bother with it. We'd be suspicious of the airbags in some older cars if safety was a top priority.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Or a steering wheel that will SHRED YOUR FACE OFF #justtakatathings

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I follow a bunch of drifters that use Miatas as alternate cars. Adam LZ is a oval office but he's drifted an MX-5 in the past.

Taylor Ray does too I think. I wonder what happened to his C5 Corvette he was tryin g to drift there for a minute.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I’m seeing the prht nc being listed at 2,542 lbs. And you say it’s heavy...
:thunk:

Edit: what rpm’s does a NA do at 70 mph in top gear btw?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 7, 2019

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wibla posted:

The NC PRHT is basically a convertible RX8 without the wankel engine, if you want a newer car that feels like an NA, get an ND. It also sounds like your suspension is shot.

Isn't the RX8 generally praised for its handling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wibla posted:

Yes, but it's not a Miata. Which was the entire point of that first sentence. See also: the last sentence (re: handling).

But you said, "The NC PRHT is basically a convertible RX8 without the wankel engine," and if the RX8 is praised for its handling, and the NC Miata is basically a convertible RX8... wouldn't its handling be really good too? Its not like Mazda doesn't know how to make convertibles handle.