Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Hey crew! I'm going to look at a 1996 M-Edition tomorrow, Starlight Mica Blue, 1 of ~3000.

108,000 miles, original owner, "garaged since new, the paint looks like new-w/no dents or scratches..Top looks new, with real glass" All the pictures look great. Flawless tan leather interior.

He's listed for $4995. Blue book is $4800, which I know runs low for Miatas.

What do you guys think is a fair offer? I definitely don't want to lose the sale, but offering less than list price is par for the course. Would offering $4500 CASH be insulting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I bought that 96 M-Edition. She's as perfect as the seller described. Immaculate. I'll post pictures soon.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Phone posted:

Blue LEDs!

What is it? Just extra interior lighting?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Schwack posted:

I just wanna make sure I'm not being a dick here, my email back was basically going to be, "Ill only pay $5600, if you cant do that then I wont be buying from you."

Just a heads up, I bought an immaculate 96 M with 108,000 miles for $4900 out the door from a small dealer/wholesaler. Granted, I'm in northeast PA and out of season, but consider my purchase when coming up with a fair offer.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Because it's on the driver side? Yes, you can probably do without it. Why not pull it off and sandpaper and repaint it?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm looking to replace my Toyo Proxes 4, sort of an all season version of the T1Rs. I'm looking for a performance summer only. The only names I know to look at are Kuhmo Ecsta MX, Toyo Proxes T1R, and Falken Azenis rt-615.

I've checked Miata.net, but it seems to be more and more full of ricers wondering if they can fit 10 inch Watanabes without a widebody kit.

Its a 1996 M, 195/ 50r15. Will I have any benefit going to 205? Would you go 205/45 or 205/50? Exactly how scary are Azenis rt-615 in the wet?

Where should I be looking beside discounttire and tirerack

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 12, 2008

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

destructo posted:

Well, let me know -- I'd let it go for ~27 shipped? I'll post up a pic in the AI classifieds in a bit.

Doesn't look like you made the post in the Marketplace, so I'll offer here. I'll take it for $27 shipped if mobn doesn't want it. This is the spun/polished aluminum without the clear pearl finish, right? Let me know your paypal.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

jromano posted:

Philadelphia I called the seller, which turned out to be a small dealer,

I know it's kind of pointless to ask since I already bought it, but how did I do?

What's the seller's name? I bought a 96 M Edition last November from a seller that turned out to be a dealer. Just outside Philly, can't remember the town's name. Whats his name?

He included tag and title/notary charges, and listed the sell price as $3000 for tax purposes. Was about $4900 OTD including tax. Granted, that was winter, not prime Miata season. I'd say you got a fair deal.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

laymil posted:

If anyone near NJ wants to come pick up a set of stock 1990 alloys in mediocre condition with dry-rotted tires still mounted, let me know. If you want another set of four in the same condition, I think my roommate will let his go for $50 or so.

Where in Jersey are you? North Jersey or Delaware Water Gap area, and I'll be out this weekend ;)

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in the last 53 pages, but search is down. My Google-fu got me nowhere.

Whats the standard go-to replacement radiator? My plastic top endcap has a pinhole leak and is spraying coolant in a fine mist when it gets hot.

Price is a factor. I'll have to buy ALL 8 HOSES since I'll have it drained. OEM or cheapies with plastic are ok. This one lasted 12 years/120k miles.

Though I'd like to spend less, what do people think of the Mishimoto all-Alum? $255 shipped on eBay for a 52mm core. How does it compare to the Koyo 55mm?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Savington posted:

gently caress a new radiator. Pinhole leaks are best filled with superglue, or perhaps a square of metal tape.

:v:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/adhesives_sealants/epoxies/Permatex_PermaPoxy_5_Minute_Plastic_Weld.htm

I picked up Perma Oxy 5min. Plastic Weld. Thought it might bond better. Let cure and cover with Gorilla Tape. Why do you recommend metal tape?

EDIT: Metal tape because of temperature? I got the plastic weld because its guaranteed to 250*F and 3500 PSI

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Will 13" wheels fit on a 96 Miata with stock brakes?

I'm seeing great deals on used good condition snows, and even brand new 13" snows are a lot cheaper than 15" or even 14.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm having clutch problems, too. Engages/disengages just at the top of travel. Moving from a stop requires a little more slipping than usual. I tested to see if my clutch was shot by going WOT about 35-40mph in top gear, no slip.

Is my clutch on the way out, or is this a common symptom of the infamous slave cylinder? I flushed the fluid when I got it last winter, maybe 9-10 months ago, and its black again.

EDIT: Found the pedal adjustment guide on Miata.net Garage for those interested:
http://www.miata.net/garage/adjust_clutch/index.html

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 31, 2008

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

jfreder posted:

So I'm thinking about buying a Miata and I'd like to hear people's opinions on NA vs. NB. I think I like the NB styling better but I've also heard that they have less room (I'll obviously need to sit in a few). They also seem to cost 9-10k where as I found a '94 M-Edition with 60k miles for 4.3k. Anyone have some advice to help me make up my mind?

Get the 94 M-Edition. With only 60k miles, and 13 years old, do the CAS seal immediately (back of valve cover). Otherwise there a short list of things that might need replacing at your leisure.

1. Timing belt and water pump (maybe save the pump for 120k)
2. All 5 coolant hoses, or at least the ones at the back of the engine
3. Consider a suspension refresh at your discretion, with bushings

Not much else goes wrong with these cars.

VVVV M-Editions have nice interiors, the 94 should have the updated dual air bag dash with the camel/black combo and embroidered M-Edition camel leather seats. My only complaint is the 80's looking door cards, which I think you can swap an NB into.

For all those with with NA leather seats, go buy a set of Zymol Leather cleaner/conditioner. Gave them a fresh leather smells, did a good job getting dirt out of the cracks and folds, and softened it from vinyl plastic hard to almost supple. Helped hide some of the discolored nicks and scratches, too.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 7, 2008

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I have a 96 M-Edition with a zip soft top with defroster glass. It has a defroster button so I assume the wiring is there. What do I need to connect the glass to the harness?

The kits I've seen seem way to expensive to be the piece for what I need.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

destructo posted:

Hella E-Code, 80/100 Premium Xenon :rice:

Is this the set-up you're using? Know where to get it cheaper?

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Halogen-Replacement-Headlight-Performance/dp/B000FNCJTM/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3

And whats the chatter on 80/100w bulbs? Is the stock wiring sufficient?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 11, 2009

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Are there any cheaper alternatives to the LS1 for an alum block? Weren't a few of the truck 5.3 in aluminum?

Used 5.3, used t56 or even a t5 to save money. Source a Ford 8" w/ IRS.

Even a 5.3 with upgraded heads, cams, and intake with be making more than a turbo 1.8 can reliably.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I was thinking about ordering snow chains/braided wire type for my Miata and wanted to get some opinions first.

I tend to run my summer tires late into the season, and sometimes switch out my studded winters because they're so drat loud.

I think it might be a good idea to carry a set of chains/braided cables in my trunk in the case of emergency, as I've been caught in surprise winter weather with my summers, requiring me to abandon my Miata in a lot until it thaws.

So, whats your experience with chains/cables, and where's a good place to buy them?
Are they exact fit, or can you adjust between common Miata sizes, say 195/50/15, 195/55/15, and 205/50/15? Is it beneficial to run 4, or just 2 on the driven wheels?

I was looking at a set advertised for low clearance:
http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/chainsearch.cgi?size=195/50-15&model=SZ119&f=chainz6_c.htm

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I myself can't normally stand rice, and I know its not popular on these forums, but what sort of Miata body kits and bumpers do people have their eyes on?

I may be filing a claim against my fiance who hit me pulling in the driveway, depending upon how it effects her insurance. Either way, I'll need a front bumper, hood, and left fender--my pocket or hers.

I was looking at the Wings West W-Typ Front Air Dam -- the only front bumper I've seen better looking than stock. I think its even nicer than the Racing Beat Type II.

Does anyone remember the rear bumper that drop off even with the trunk line, perfectly flat from the trunk down and rounding in under the back? I think it may have been a Japanese or German import?

EDIT: Selling Voodoo spun finish knob in AI Marketplace.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 29, 2009

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Shauntron posted:

I've been lusting for a Miata with some kind of forced air induction and came across this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1119951673.html

Is this a bad idea?

Is that aluminum foil he's using for heat shielding near the turbo? Is that even effective since it'll conduct directly to the hard lines anyway?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Does anyone know if the NB center console (from armrest up to and around shifter) and the tan plastic parts on each side of the vertical radio section can be fit to an NA? I've seen direction on how to make the door cards fit.

In other news, miatas are a ton cheaper where I live. There have been a ton of great NA Miatas popping up on my local craigslist for quite a steal. Some 95 and 97 M-Editions, too. Since I'm currently unemployed, I'd be willing to check out and even deliver to the new goon owner willing to pay only my travel expenses. Just pay for gas and my plane ticket back, and you get your new Miata delivered to your door.

Check out the Scranton Craigslist and let me know if you're interested. PM or email:

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 5, 2013

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

pacheco posted:

http://tinyurl.com/rbskwz

Is this Miata too good to be true? What do you guys think?

First, it's listed wrong. Certainly not an M-Edition. Crank windows, black cloth interior, lovely black vinyl top, black rocker panels, and no M badges. Check vehicle history to make sure that mileage is correct.

Don't pay anywhere near $6k for that. Be wary of that luggage rack on the trunk. If it's screwed/bolted it, check for leaks and it ain't never coming off. Otherwise remove it and check for scratches at the mount points.

Some of you seem to live in bizarro world when it comes to Miata pricing. An NA, a 13 year old car at best, should not cost more than $5k, and that's 95-97 M edition territory.

Check out my post history. Currently unemployed, I offered to inspect and deliver any Miata in my area(Scranton, PA) to any goon for only my traveling expenses. Check Mid-Atlantic Miata prices in my area-- Philly, NY, Scranton, Poconos, Allentown, Jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Miata M-Edition. I've reconsidered and the car is no longer for sale, at least for now.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 30, 2015