Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
NC checking in...

Click for gigantic

I absolutely love this car. I had a really hard time driving an NB. My knees were hitting the wheel at every turn. I'm only 6'1" and 185lbs, and I found it to be quite cramped. Great car though.

Also, if anyone is looking to buy an NC, mine is for sale :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Moritastic posted:

Where are you at? And why are you selling it?

I'm in Phoenix, AZ
I'm selling it because I could use the extra money I would save on payments. I've been on the fence about it for a little while, but I realized that I can buy another one when I'm ready.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

IOwnCalculus posted:

On the topic of tires: Our '99 needs new shoes. I would go get the super-sticky Azenis without a second thought, except for two facts:

*I almost never autocross it. I know it's a goddamn shame, but the scheduling rarely works out for me.
*The Miata is currently our primary commuter, since the truck is old and finicky and insured as a classic, and the Volvo sucks. As such, it gets driven about 50 miles per day, the vast majority of which are on freeways in a straight line. That doesn't count

The current tires on it are some Kumho all-seasons - one step above the Kumho POWER STAR tires I have on the Volvo but not that sticky of a tire. At the same time, though, they're more or less done (tread is nearly gone in areas of at least two of the tires, and they've hardened up like hell) after about 35k.

I would still like them to have some stickiness to them since we do take the occasional 500 mile back-roads round trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff, and much of that is happy-fun switchback time. But I don't want a tire that's going to be on cords in 15,000 miles. What's out there that's maybe a step down from the Azenis in outright grip, but a step up in terms of longevity?

You are buying tires for the same EXACT reasons I bought tires. Daily use, mostly highway, and occasionally attacking the poo poo out of 89A :D.

I have had Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3s on the NC for a little over 20k, and they still have quite a bit of tread left. Awesome tire, especially for our weather.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

IOwnCalculus posted:

89A is seriously the best day-trip in this goddamn state if you want to actually drive. I've heard 191 is even better but it would make for one LONG day and that wouldn't even have you stopping anywhere other than gas and food.

Of course, in discussing this with my wife (it is her car after all)...she said "I want the sticky tires!" "How sticky?" "Like chewing gum..."

One set of Falken 615's, coming right up :angel: Looks like 195/60-14 is the smallest size they come in, I'm guessing that fits in the Miata just fine. Probably going to order them from Vulcan unless someone else has them signficantly cheaper.

There is a stretch of road between Apache Junction and Tortilla Flat. That should be pretty close to your place right? Hit that sometime, amazing road.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
A little while ago, my top got slashed. I took the car to Unique Auto Upholstery in Scottsdale, AZ, and they ordered a new top from Mazda. It finally came in on Tuesday. I took the car in in the morning, and then I noticed that there was a detailing place right next door. I had them do a full detail after the top was put on. I took a few shots while it was parked outside the detail shop.
This is what it looks like now...

There was also a fully race prepped STi and a black Murcielago that I managed to snap a few pics of, if anyone is interested.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a problem with my car. In the mornings, I start up my car, let it run for about a minute, then go on my way. As soon as I get going, the car jerks. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in, but it kinda stutters, and jerks, and the tach needle bounces a little. Now, this happens a little more when it's cold outside, but it goes away after 2-3 minutes. It's an NC with a 6spd if that matters.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or is that just the way it is when it's cold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

grover posted:

The side mirrors are too small- they're fine when the top is down, but really need to be bigger for better visibility with the top up. Not a showstopper, but one of the few things I didn't like about the Miata.

While sitting in the drivers seat, put your head against the left window, and move the mirror to where you can only see a small amount of the car. Now put your head in the center of the car, facing forward, and move the right mirror to only see a little bit of the car.

It takes a little while to get used to, but you can actually trust your mirrors. If a car is coming up in the next lane, you will see it in your rear-view mirror, and as soon as it starts to disappear, it pops up in your side mirror, and as soon as it leaves that, you start to see it outside.