Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

amadeo posted:

So here's my question. I posted this in "Questions about a Performance Miata" before this thread was created. My guess is it's not going to get answered there now that it does.

I've got a '91 Miata. No options. No power steering, no A/C, no power anything, and definitely no LSD. So I read through this, and I do want to get around to upgrading my Miata. So after reading this, the natural progression seemed to be: Differential, Turbo, Exhaust, Suspension.

My reasoning being this: Before upgrading the suspension, you want to make sure that a brace will fit around your exhaust. Before an exhaust, you want to get your turbo, this just based on the fact that Flyin' Miata differentiates between a turbo exhaust and a normally aspired one. Before getting a turbo, I want to change out my differential with a 1.8 so I don't screw mine up.

So I started to put my foot in today, and went to a differential service shop that I heard about from a shop that I've done good business with in the past. They seem to be a pretty good shop. When I mentioned that I had a Miata, they lit up and talked about a few Miata's they'd serviced in the past, although they were a little too hyped up about the V8 Miata they serviced for my taste. Apparently they've serviced a rotary Miata which sounds interesting, though. Well, anyhow. When I mentioned that I'd like to change out my differential with a 1.8L LSD, they understood and said they'd never done anything like that with a Miata. They said they'd call around and see what they could get ahold of, and gave me the "parking lot of a ballpark of a price" range of 1000-2000 dollars.

I really don't know anything about differentials, and I've only done routine maintenance on cars myself. So I'm not too sure I feel comfortable doing the swap myself (I found a pretty good guide on Miata.net) since I really don't know anything about differentials, and it doesn't seem too simple. But is the price right? How much would it cost me to get the part myself? It seems really pricey, although I can understand why, but I'm a little uneasy about spending 2000 on changing the differential on a 2400 dollar car. But I have to start somewhere, sometime, right? And I doubt that anything but the exhaust is really going to be much cheaper.

I don't know. Can I get some advice? I'm a moron. I know very little about cars, in reality. Is my idea of upgrade progression in a correct order? Is the ballpark price fair? Should I try doing this myself? Is getting a "Turbo" exhaust without a turbo going to cause less efficiency, or is the Turbo exhaust just built to handle more?

(For those of you who read it, I went and test-drove a Porsche 944. And I think I'll pass.)

If it was me, depending on the condition of the car, I'd do suspension first. Shocks wear out over time. I haven't driven a Miata in a long time though, but as I recall the stock suspension is pretty good, but you'd want to be sure it's in good shape. For me, suspension, tires, and brakes make a big difference in feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

quote:

White'901.8swap,MBSP,reroute,Red'90,15x7.5,VLSD,Red2'90VLSD,15x8,Laguna'94C-pkg,White'97FFS,XidaCS,OSGiken,RS3,JaguarXKES1,MiniCooper1275S, BMW Isetta

That guy was never going to buy a new one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't wanna read through all that garbage but I did see somebody questioning what kind of top it will be. UK mags say the soft top is able to be put up with one hand. If they haven't figured that out already somebody point it out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

televiper posted:

NC does as well. Also one cubbie behind each seat, but they're kind of a pain to access.

There were clearly at least two storage compartments in the center behind the armrest on the ND too.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

You chose an overhead cam 4 valve engine. You knew you would pay someone to fix it.

????

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Voltage posted:

I cleaned out my garage the other day and found this stuff:

'97 NA Miata owners, shop, and haynes manuals.

If anyone wants it just pay me for shipping and it's yours.

I really miss my miata :(

I miss my Protege a lot too, but I love my 3 so that's okay. Someday I'll get another one though :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a MSM that isn't sketchy?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bovril Delight posted:

Why did I not know about this type of phone mount? Slides into the CD player (which I never use) and is in an awesome location to change songs or use the nav. Highly recommended.

Looks neat but I'd be afraid of accidentally activating the disc changer.

edit: Or it doesn't actually slide into the slot...? hmm

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

On the NC you can't slide in a CD without hitting the load button.

What I thought at first was it was sitting in the actual slot and if you changed the disc it'd break off inside :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I just found it sitting on the desk, wrapped up in a small baggie I wrote MIATA KEY on so I wouldn't loving lose it.

Mail it to yourself so next time you are looking for it all you have to do is check the mail.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any idea of the chronological order of the pictures...?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've heard stories of the old gasket getting stuck to the block. Look carefully to make sure you don't have 2 gaskets now :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Honestly I thought I'd be the only one nerdy enough to go on a factory Mazda tour while in Japan but gently caress there multiple AI posters who have done that and that is freaking awesome.

I wish my time wasn't limited by the tour group though cause I could spend so many hours there. If Phone got some kind of VIP tour I'm super jealous.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The funny thing was the bus that took us from the museum to the factory was a stinky rear end diesel. It's not a Mazda built bus but come on. This is a car company tour. I think they have a lot more stinky rear end diesel buses in Japan like in other countries compared to the U.S. so maybe they didn't notice it as much. I mean like it was last tuned up in the 80s and is emitting a bunch of clouds of soot. That was in 2008.

For the Toyota museum do you mean the one in Tokyo or did you head to the Nagoya area? I saw the one in Tokyo and was actually really surprised at how much cool stuff they had...I didn't bring my full size camera cause after all, it's Toyota... but yeah ended up pretty cool. If you have a ton of money to spend lots of stuff you can buy, too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah you did say middle of nowhere...I can read...sure :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh well, if you enjoy it, it's fine to spend some money on it. Having a/c is nice too. That isn't too much. Could be a W202 Mercedes that requires dash removal for some of the a/c components :v:

Edit: just get a more reputable supplier for compressors. Or post in the A/C thread, what if there is some dirt in there that keeps killing them?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Longinus00 posted:

More new miata info!

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/25/2016-mazda-mx5-miata-fuel-mileage/

It still feels odd that it's a lower than the mazda 3 with the same engine and more weight, in fact it's technically lower than the automatic mazda 3 with the 2.5. I'm guessing they've put in a more aggressive mapping for the ecu and maybe also the shorter gearing?

This was true with the contemporary BP equipped Protege too.

leica posted:

Also noticed in the pics that Bose did the audio, wtf Mazda :colbert:

Why is that a surprise?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

It's a surprise considering how many people rip it out of their cars yet Mazda continues to use it. Just put in something simple that's easy to replace with an aftermarket system if one chooses.

Ah well I agree with you there. I looked for a Mazda 3 GT in manual without the "Moon & Tunes" (Moonroof + Bose) package. Couldn't find one. Deal breaker. Well, I don't think I even found one in manual. Oh well. But, they've been doing Bose stuff since at least the FD RX7.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Well with the MS6 if you replace the BOSE poo poo you lose all your steering wheel controls and the adapter is stupid expensive. Now the NC only has radio controls on the wheel but I use those primarily right now. I installed a line in to the head unit but the sound quality is kind of crappy. I'm hoping to give the car some minor overhauls over this winter and since I'll have the interior out I want to upgrade the speakers and stereo. Might even toss in some sound deadener.

If you have climate control make sure you don't need a special adapter to keep that LCD working. With the 3 the way the display integrated with the stereo changed and I think earlier cars are harder to upgrade if you have climate control. Worth finding out on the Miata obviously. I noticed the Metra harnesses don't have the wires for the steering wheel controls or LCD but the steering wheel adapter probably takes care of that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

"Great engineering defies them", does that make sense? Am I just tired or did they mean defines?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elysium posted:

The connector didn't fail, the battery came loose and the movement of the battery was enough to wear down the cable itself. So do I get one of these? http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...3458565cmpid=cj

Be sure to get that battery secured, please!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
BG Mazdas are Good.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
DX or LX, auto or manual?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

DX manual. I wish it was an LX but those are pretty much unicorns now, at least ones that aren't ragged the gently caress out, and even then 80% of them are autos. I can always swap in a BP and and other good bits later.

It's got the low idle and stall when the motor is hot, pretty sure it's the plug wire deal. Also has a leaky valve cover gasket and the shifter bushings are GONE as in guess what gear you're in. Windshield got smashed by the hood which is dented as a result too, and it needs brakes as well but I have them already. But the interior is mint and the body is straight and rust free so it's all good, I'll have a solid DD for under 1k.

. Having the BP is nice but the SOHC is still fun and has about the same torque anyway. The rest of the stuff you get with the LX isn't really that important. Maybe the anti roll bars are different but the rest of the sport suspension doesn't matter after 21 years. The drums even work fine on track duty. Maybe finding good tires in 13" size if you have the original wheels could be tricky but nowadays the 14s face the same problem I think. I miss mine a bit :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Gonna get some 15" NB wheels for it, can get 'em cheap. But yeah, gonna drive it like it is for awhile, maybe put a ZX2 front sway on it, good tires with the wheels and call it a day. Gonna order the bronze shifter bushing kit from corksport, but it's only for the shifter side, do you know where I can get bronze bushings for the trans side?

The ones I had were a custom group order. I would ask on ClubP. Be sure to find out if it varies between the SOHC and DOHC as they use different transmissions.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

I'll check, but for now it's so bad I'll probably just go to the dealer and get the plastic ones because gently caress that sloppy poo poo. Aren't there bushings in the shifter turret as well? I know there were issues with the shifters "falling" out. gently caress I forget it's been awhile since I had my BG Kia :v:

I didn't have that problem so I don't remember exactly what caused it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Miata...?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

He did. He also admitted right out of the gate that he got an ECU flash. Everyone is like WOW WHY IS MNAO BEING SO MEAN?!?! while the possibility of this 20 year old kid maybe being hamfisted with the transmission is not even on the table.

Everything's a fuckin' conspiracy. Forever.

Well apparently they delete posts that disagree and hand out "points"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

One of the Supporting Members [spoiler]not you, Gutbomb[spoiler] tried to assert that there was no way for the ECU to know which gear the car is in or the clutch disk speed.

Which is cute, considering that there's a gear indicator on the instrument panel and solving for " which gear am I in?" is at best an algebra 2 problem. You know engine speed, vehicle speed, the transmission ratios, the final drive ratio, and the tire/wheel combo size. Solve for X.

The gear indicator was introduced on the RX-8 I believe. The Mazdaspeed 3 limits engine power in the first 2 or 3 gears. Etc.