Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Just a quick note to say that Simple Green is amazing at getting off years-old grime from a tan top. It's not perfect, but it's MUCH better than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Guinness posted:

Noted. I'll have to try this out. My top is only 2 years old, but it's kind of grimy. Thanks.

FWIW, I used a brush with stiff plastic bristles to scrub the top. You may want to do the same. Also for the record this was on an '01 with stock OEM synthetic top. YMMV on any cloth top.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

VPILF posted:

I've got an OEM vinyl top and I'd go with a yes on the ease of maintenance. Rinse it off and put some Meguier's #40 (or whatever vinyl/plastic protectant you like) on every so often and it looks pretty much new, even after ten years.

Tan tops can get get grimy looking before too long. The only thing I've found that has any effect on the grime is Simple Green, scrubbed in with a stiff nylon brush. You can get it spotless with this.

Also, yes the OEM vinyl top is an excellent piece of kit. If you're buying one, though, watch out for cracking along the top edge seams.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

modestduty posted:

Maybe this isn't the best place to ask,

Next time, listen to that voice in your head.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

modestduty posted:

Also, trust me, I'm not nearly stupid enough to troll on my third day in the forums.

Don't sell yourself short. Going into a specific-model car thread and asking if that kind of car is 'gay' is either (A) a troll, or (B) immensely stupid. You're quite easily stupid enough to be trolling, whether or not that's what you did.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also if you can't take the OMG GAY CAR stigma then, regardless of any basis in reality, you're not going to be able to handle having a Miata. I just think it's faaaaabulous.

That's just giving up because you've realized you can't fight it. I've been tilting at windmills for the last eight years. :rolleyes:

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

What's the policy on posting ads here for Miatas for sale? I have a 2001 LS (fully optioned) that I need to sell soon.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

First Time Caller posted:

What are some popular wheel and tire options? Looking for a decent summer set. Preferred budget is $600-$800.

I don't know about "popular" but I'm quite happy with these Sport Edition CEs. Don't know if they'll fit on your car though. Pictured is my '01 LS with sport package.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Phone posted:

1. [the gas filler lid is] aftermarket

Probably not, actually. Mazda did offer an official chrome filler lid with exposed bolts. I believe it was even fitted as standard to SE models along with chromed wheels.

It's a bit "blingy" but it probably is offical OEM stock. I wouldn't worry about this if you like it.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

King-Kong posted:

I already posted this in the AutoX thread, but I was hoping for some advice from fellow Miata owners on my lines and general technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flk6Tv0-Zzo&hd=1&t=32s

1995 M-Edition, stock everything except for Dunlop Direzza star specs, Hawk HP+. 2nd in Tire class (out of 18), 11th overall (PAX) out of 62.

Only recommendations I would make would be to be smoother with your inputs. You're making multiple steering inputs for each turn in the esses, it looks like. Also, you might want to enter some of the turns wider, apexing later so you can get a better run on the following straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

About the shift knob - beware that you can very easily ruin the knob when taking it off. I had an NB with the Nardi knob, and it took a lot of force to get it off (by hand). When I got tired of the aftermarket knob I had put on in its place, I found that the stock knob would spin on its threaded portion so that it would never be properly tight again.