Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Picking up a 97' Miata on friday. 200K Miles for $1,250. Exactly what I wanted, a cheap miata to fix during the winter for AutoX/Tracking/Mountain runs in the spring.

It has a ton of new stuff, top, brakes, struts, timing belt and more. The only issue is some rocker panel rust. I can't decide if I want to give it a go myself or just bring it somewhere and suck up the price since the initial cost was so little. I am just going to feel stupid spending money on r-comps and a suspension when I have rust.

Anyway I am just amazed at how well it handled, steering was absurdly tight and it cornered so accurately, couldn't believe it had 200K!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just picked up this '97 for for $1,250 with 199,000 miles. It has a new exhaust, chinese tires, shocks all around, pads+rotors, timing belt, newish rad, and a fairly new glass window top. It drives like it's on rails and just feels great.

This is my second car so I plan to use this for autocross and tracking primarily.

The only big problem is 3/4 fenders are extremely rusty, but there is no undercarriage or frame rust from what I can tell. I am going to buy replacement panels from rockauto and get a macco job or just rattle can it. I also have a spare hood.

I am going to gut the interior, get a rollbar, racing seat+belts, flush all the fluids, get some track pads, new wheels and tires (I'm thinking the sport package from here: http://www.flyinmiata.com/wheels/index.php) and some raceland (or possibly better)
coilovers.

I am renting a garage for the winter to work on it and hopefully it will be prepped and ready for the spring!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

jpotts posted:

Voltage, nice find! I've been looking for a ~$1K Miata for about a month, which I plan to SR20DET swap and install all the other performance bits over time. If you're looking for some good tires, check out the Dunlop Star Specs. My friend has them on his E39 M5 and they are ridiculously sticky.

Good luck with the build!

It took me a few months but I finally found a cheap one, prices around me were crazy, nothing less than $4-5K.

I plan to get the star specs and lightweight wheels, I hear nothing but good things. Good luck!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

craig588 posted:

That's the dumbest thing ever. Turbo the factory engine for up to 300hp or put an LS in for more than that.

Agreed, the stock motor is very solid and takes forced induction well and there are a TON of excellent, complete kits you can get. V8 swaps are much more complex, but there are also kits that come with everything you need for a nice LS swap.
https://www.flyinmiata.com/

I have never heard of an SR20 swap in to a Miata, it seems completely nonsensical. Why get a "jdm yo" engine that is not even made for the car at all, and not all that powerful?

The only appeal of the SR20 is to swap in to a 240SX since it bolts right in, putting one in anything else is completely retarded.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

meltie posted:

The white connector and bracket is for the power antenna, and the black connector is for a mini fusebox for glass back window defroster and power antenna :)

Good to know! My Miata has a new glass rear window and the defroster wires aren't hooked up to anything, saves me some time.

This week we got dumped on here in Albany, NY and I took her out for some late night snow drifting, no one but plow trucks were out, and I must say it handles the snow much better than I thought, even with it's Chinese all-seasons. The LSD makes it able to just hold a slide forever. So much fun but I need to start stripping it down soon for spring autox...

Bonus snow pic taken the next morning:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Started to deconstruct the interior of my '97. It is so dirty under the seats, I'll take a pic when it is light out.
Not sure if I want to just clean the carpets and keep them in for now or just totally gut the thing to be ready for spring autox...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I was driving to work today on the highway and my soft top flew open at 60MPH and it was 10F outside. The top did not fold correctly so I had to pull over and latch it properly. I was putting my interior back in last night and I must have not fully clipped down the top latches! loving scary and amazing I didn't crack the rear glass!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Nodoze posted:

Do it, for a non rusty NB that is a steal. Engines aren't hard to come by

Definitely a great deal, you can find $500 engines all day.

Unrelated, but I just got a garage for my Miata, but it has no power so I grabbed one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Decker-500-Watt-Power-Station/21804453 and a few florescent work lights. Going to set it up tonight and I'll definitely be posting some pics of the progress of the car. Plan now is to gut it and prep it for autox this march - so rust repair, wheels, tires, all fluids, and maybe some hawk pads.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm so tempted to buy some RPF1's but it would be stupid until I do all it's maintenance and some suspension and body work. Also I only paid $1,200 for my '97 so spending just about that on wheels and tires seems a bit insane. I normally don't care at all about wheels, but these would reduce weight and look pretty drat cool. Convince me otherwise?

...But seriously where can I find 15X7 Gold RPF1's?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Phone posted:

Do Racelands. I think they have better rebound than that.

I'm debating getting some for my NA. I had them on my E46 and they were harsh as gently caress but drat if they didn't make for some excellent cornering ability. I won't be daily driving it so for $350, why not...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Hog Obituary posted:

Konig Wideopen is the Enkei RPF1 knock-off seen on that white miata craigslist ad I posted.
See here: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Parts/Miata/Wheels-Tires/Wheels.html

Those gold ones look awesome but I don't know about this fender rolling nonsense...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Previa_fun posted:

'95 was the last year of the real oil pressure gauge, right?

Wait, so what the hell does the oil pressure gauge on my '97 do??

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I just switched from unknown black as night dino to royal purple 10w30 and now my NA engine sounds smooth as hell. Could also be the new plugs+wires but I am sure the synthetic played a small part.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Nodoze posted:

Wouldn't gently caress with a salvage title Miata, there's no point when there are so many clean ones available

I got my '97 with a salvage title and it seems fine, it was only $1,200 and it makes me care even less about beating on it or blowing it up on track - however I do wonder what happened to it, the PO had it for 100K miles (it has 200 now) and never had an issue. I am too cheap to carfax it, that $35 could buy a tank of gas!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I would definitely go for all new weatherstripping if you are going to replace the whole top, it will more than make up for it in the long run and you can get it all done in one shot.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Granite Octopus posted:

Over the weekend I decided to refresh my soft-top latches. The old ones had a very strange corrosion underneath the paint. I sanded off all the old paint, applied primer, and then two layers of the finest, cheapest spray paint I could find. I added a few layers of clearcoat, for what good it will do. I also sanded off all the paint from the bolts, and polished them. I think the look is somewhat unique, and it was easier than painting them.

It think it looks better than before, and cheaper than paying $145 each just for the handle latches (not even for the receivers!)

Looks great! My drivers side latch is a bit worn out and after a few heavy bumps it becomes slightly unlatched and forms a slight gap in the top left of the top. Did you replace the springs or anything or just paint them?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Flyin' Miata looks like they have excellent kits, but I don't think they cater to autos

https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I can't stop looking at the install instructions for the FM turbo kit... I just feel like it would almost be wasted on my car since it's a 200,000 mile rustbucket.
I mean, I can always remove it and put it on a nicer car if mine blows up...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'll definitely look in to getting that test done. If I were to turbo it, rebuilding the motor wouldn't be out of the question since I have always wanted to do that with something.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Snapped my alternator/waterpump belt. turns out the little bolt that tensions the alternator broke. Ordered a new bolt so hopefully it will go back together smoothtly. How much do I tighten these belts? I've never replaced any belts on any car. I am doing both belts, the alt/waterpump and the AC/power steering.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just slapped on my AC/PS and Alt/Waterpump belts. Once I got a new bolt for the tensioner block it was a cakewalk, I could probably do that job in 20 minutes or less now.

List of things I'd still like to do so I can take it to the track:

Fuel filter
Hawk Pads
Coolant flush (should I use water wetter and distilled or just premix?)
Direzza Star Specs
Hard dog or comparable roll bar - do any of these work with a glass softtop?
Gut interior
Seat+harness/HANS
Weld some patch panels on rocker panel rust
Possibly new swaybars/coilovers
Remove power steering and aircon

If anyone wants to help I'm in Albany and have a non-powered 2 car garage!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Had an amazing weekend at autocross did very well even with my chinese all seasons. I will make a big post soon but I am going to be fully stripping and caging my '97 to make it a real deal track car.

I will also most likely get a second job just to pay for it :v:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My '97 came with some Infinity speakers installed already and are ptetty solid, and I swapped out the headunit for some $100 Alpine with bluetooth audio so I basically just turn on my car and the music from my phone starts playing :krad:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I don't know if the technology has improved or what, but the unit I have just came on the market and I can't tell the difference in quality between the Aux, USB, and bluetooth, it's a pretty impressive piece of kit. Also comes with a mic for bluetooth calling. http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ute-42bt/

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat, if this was on the east coast id jump on it just as a parts/body donor car - my rusty rear end '97 could use some things. You should totally get this.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I had a set of the AD08's on my BMW 330Ci, not exactly a Miata, but I will say they were absolutely dreadful in the rain, and I only got about 2,000 miles out of them before the CORDS were showing - but I will say the dry performance was unparalleled!

I would check out the Dunlop Direzza ZII's, just threw them on my Miata and it handles on rails, but they haven't seen rain yet.

Also any summer tire is not good for winter, the compounds themselves just won't work under ~10C.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Even the older model Kia Sephia used the same engine afaik, and you could probably pick one of those up for $100.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

probably drunk posted:

Is the 1993 MX-5 much good for reliability after 200k miles?

My 97' with absolutely unknown history, zero maintenance records, and a salvage title has just over 200K and it's been pretty drat solid. It definitely had brakes/timing belt/shocks/other small things done, but it feels real solid and I can imagine it will easily go for another 50-80K without issue. Miata's are just Japanese economy car drivetrains shoved in a tiny little body with RWD.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

opengl128 posted:

How hosed would this thing have to be to make it not worth it at this price? I'd already be planning on repainting it.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3864017406.html

Related: can you fit a hardtop in the back of a Mazda 3 hatch?

If you don't buy that I will. Total steal for $450! Just plastidip it. No idea if it would fit in the hatch though...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Make sure you get a LSD - it will help immensely in the snow.

Hardtop is nice to have for sure, but not 100% necessary for the winter, I was fine without one last winter.

Absolutely get one as rust free as possible, and wash the salt off constantly.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I feel like I got pretty lucky with my '97 NA for $1200 even though it's rusted to gently caress and has a salvage title and 200k miles. I could only find either super expensive 1.6's owned by old people who never drove them and want like 8 grand, or overpriced NB's - 1.8 NA's are no where to be found. The frame on mine is completely fine and it's just cosmetic rust as far as I can tell. I've had it for about a year and it's been rock solid with basic maintenance even with autocross and constant redlining. The only issue I've had is lifter tick which I 'fixed' by using Shell Rotella T6 oil.

If this one ever fully explodes I'll try and find a rust free N/A shell and just swap in a 1.8, the drat thing is so easy to work on, cheap and so much fun I can't imagine not having a Miata.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
$1,500 would be a total steal. Up north that would go for at least $3,000. Does it have any issues, is the car bare bones or specced out?

I bought my 97' NA, rusted to poo poo with 200k and salvage title and I feel like I won a jackpot.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Miata shifter is the second best I have used - S2000 is still the best.

Worst is my 2004 Impreza (need to get the kartboy shifter) or a Chevy HHR I drove once.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Next step: Download the whole car.

Might have to do this, really cool stuff.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Trackspeed is great, bought a few bits off of them and shipping was quick and easy.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The inside of my windows all froze over the other day on my NA, and my wipers were super slow but I was OK - snow tires made driving pretty fun. Just warm the car up for ~15 minutes with the heat on full blast and there won't be any problems.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
God damnit! Of course when I'm trying to sell my Miata I break something. I hit a massive string of potholes a few days ago and now my shifter moves up and down an inch or two whenever I accel/decel. I got under the car and couldn't see anything obvious so I took it to a mazda dealer and my power plant frame (ppf) or the transmission/diff support brace was compeltely cracked in half. Whoever installed my new exhaust had cut in to the support brace to mount it. I hit a pothole and the small cut turned in to a complete slice. Not good. I ended up biting the bullet and putting snow tires on my main car while I sort out the Miata.

The dealer quoted me at ~700 for the part and claimed it was the last one in the country. I just bought one off of ebay for $62 shipped! Hopefully I can slap it on myself and it should be good as new.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Yeah it was terrible - just angle grinded a big cut in it just so a tiny piece of the exhaust mount could clear it. Why on earth he didn't just cut the piece of exhaust is beyond me. I wish I had taken a picture of it while it was on the lift!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Phone posted:

Well now is a great time to swap out the diff and/or diff bushings since you're dropping the PPF. If you haven't done a clutch on the car, it'd be a good idea.

If you have access to Mazdaspeed you can get the kit for $100ish, otherwise it'll be closer to $130 via Rosenthal.

Right now I just want to throw on the new PPF and sell the car - I just got a new car and I'm trying to buy a new bike and having a fiesta st, miata, bike, and impreza does not make sense. I would rather get another non rustbucket miata in the future when I have more time/space/money. I was originally planning to turbo or v8 swap this one, but it needs a decent amount of body work to be perfect and I wanted to start with a nice clean platform before I do any performance mods. I really love this car a whole bunch and it's hilarious fun, but I just don't have the time anymore to work on it.

Comedy AI lemons/chump car option.
Who wants to go in on a roll cage??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Welp I sold the Miata to a mechanic who wants to turn it into an Exocet. I'll miss it, and I'll definitely own some form of Miata/MX5 in the future! Maybe once my fiesta st lease is up I'll snag the 2015? ND alfa romeo miata thing, or at least another NA.