Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/1132233551.html

Goin to check this out tomorrow, anything specific I should look out for with a miata of this mileage/year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
WOOHOO!!!

I'm a new owner of a 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS. It's in excellent condition and the only problem with the entire car is the foglights are out. :D More pictures coming later. I'm so excited to get out of work.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 9, 2009

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Finally got a chance to take some pics of my new baby. Got her for 7500 after everything, its been owned by a retired guy for 2 years he took really good care of it and it's never been driven in the winter by either owner.

Didn't really put too much effort into the pics as it was crappy lighting and I didn't feel like fiddling with the manual settings on my camera at the time. On with the pics.

Needs a wash.

Interior is in perfect condition :D

Now onto the good stuff....

Aaaanndd a failed artsy shot

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 11, 2009

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Phone posted:

Nice find. You said 52k? The only "problem" with it is the open diff, but that shouldn't prevent you from having fun with it. :D

This is an LS, it has the torsen limited slip differential.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Phone posted:

I thought that the Nardi wheel = touring = no torsen. Color me surprised, and nice fuckin' find.

Thanks! I've been looking for a car for months now and I finally found one that really caught my eye so I grabbed it up real quick. It is beautiful but I loathe the upcoming 60k service :(. How long past 60k do you guys reckon I could go before doing the service? As much as I would love to do it sooner rather than later, I don't really have the money right now.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 9, 2009

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

VPILF posted:

I actually never got any kind of poo poo from people for owning a Miata in person, just on the internet. Most of the comments in person have just been like, "whoa, nice sports car dude!" Maybe 'cause they're less common in the northeast or something.

I get a lot of idiots saying the miata is a "girly car," but not really any about it being a gay man's car. Those idiots are definitely outnumbered by compliments about it being a nice sports car from other owners or car enthusiasts, and a lot of people who just say it looks nice or "cute" (I drive an NB). I get the Miata wave here in the midwest quite a bit as well, which just makes me warm and fuzzy inside about the enthusiastic community of the MX-5 [no homo].

Overall, the people who think its a girls car or a car for the gays are just rednecks whose car knowledge extends to the F150 or morons who love giant SUVs on 24's. The people who are actually educated or care about performance cars have said nothing but good things about the Miata.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
2000 Miata LS, 56000 miles

I keep getting this weird "clack clack" noise when I depress the clutch at low rpms (between 1300 and 1700) in first gear only although I think I might have noticed it once or twice in reverse.

I've searched the internet for like 3 hours and can't find anyone with this same symptom except this one blog post with a video of it doing it and there is no contact information on the site from what I can see.

VIDEO OF SOMEONE ELSES MIATA DOING THIS
http://www.mymiata.net/2009/08/miata-noise/

Please help!

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 24, 2009

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Tactical Bonnet posted:

what sort of mileage do you guys see out of your miatas? I seem to only be getting about 20-22 out of mine on average.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with 5500rpm shifts and generally enjoying my commute. :3:

Average 26 MPG during my usual driving, which is mixed highway/city but mostly city.

When I really drive it hard I get around 22-24 MPG. This is with the 1.8 liter. I've never had a tank average of more than 26MPG, even if I try.

Some people claim to get 30+ but I think they're either hypermiling or just plain out lying.

Edit: I see you have a 1995, its possible you just have some minor wear in your engine, reducing compression slightly and therefore efficency. Over time, a block just isn't as efficient as it used to be due to normal wear on rings, valves, and many other components that affect fuel mileage. There is probably not much you can do to improve it other than an overhaul.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 19, 2009

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Atomizer posted:

Outside of Winter, I'll regularly shift in the 5-7k RPM range, although I'll realistically be at whatever speed I need to be at before I shift out of 2nd gear, so then it's usually just a matter of quickly shifting through the gears to 5th.

I read this all the time on different miata boards and I just don't understand why people do this. Running your engine at higher RPMs DOES cause more wear to the valvetrain and increases gas consumption. My miata shifts just fine at 3k and generally gets me up to speedy as fast as the surrounding traffic.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

crutt posted:

Now if only I could find a stock front lip and 15" LS wheel.

(washed and claybar'd today, not gonna get to drive for a month)

When you paint that hardtop evo orange and get the stock lip (I hope you do :) ) you're going to have my dream miata minus some engine mods, congratulations! That color is just fantastic. Also, are those not the 15" LS wheels? I have the 15" LS wheels on my car and they look the same to me??

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 27, 2010

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

The only problem that pops up is when you get hung up in deep snow. Which happens a lot. :(

Did you run winter tires? Because on some all-seasons (which usually did alright atleast in the wet) mine under-steered right into a median in only about a half inch of snow after only popping the clutch while going down a tiny slope exiting a parking lot and it bent the poo poo out of the lower left front control arm, but thats all. Brakes didn't do anything (no ABS) even though I pumped them, it happened so slowly but nothing I tried would change my direction. That sucked, and Ive never had a problem in the winter in any other vehicle with all seasons.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mezmerized Machine posted:

Well just checked under the hood. Fluid is fine and no sign of leaking anywhere there. Gonna go driving here soon, I'll try pumping it if it sticks again.

The slave cylinder is on the side of the transmission, under the car. Master cylinder is under the hood.

Edit: http://www.miata.net/garage/slavecyl.html

It fails quite often.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's also so easy to do that it should just be 60k maintenance :v:
True, it took me about 15 minutes with a partner to help bleed the clutch lines and I'd never done it before.

Ziploc posted:

http://www.miata.net/garage/stuckreverse.html

This sounds applicable.

EDIT: Not really actually. It doesn't sound like a slave cylinder though.
I'm not familiar with the stuck in reverse problem, but you're right, it seems like a slave cylinder issue should cause a problem in all gears not only reverse. I would still get under the car and squeeze the slave cylinder boot and replace it if its leaks anyway to see if that fixes it.

Mezmerized Machine posted:

But if it were the cylinder leaking, wouldn't I have an empty reservoir under the hood?
No, its not a constant leak, the rubber boot lets a small amount of fluid out under certain conditions.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 23, 2010

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Atomizer posted:

The major disappointment, though, was that the main mechanic who works on my car couldn't find anything that would cause excessive slack in the drivetrain. The engine mounts were in good shape, and I wasn't expecting them to be due to the car's age. I can understand that some slack may be present in any car's drivetrain, but I do feel that the amount of shuddering my car does upon throttle manipulation is excessive. I can't complain that I don't have to spend money to fix something, but then again I'm willing to do so to improve the ride. I don't know exactly what else I'm supposed to do to fix the fact that the car loving bounces back and forth every time I touch the accelerator. :(

I have the same issue, and while I'm not the greatest man trans driver, I have driven many other manuals and none of them buck like my 2000 Miata. I've inspected my driveshaft u-joints and also checked for slack in the diff and found them to be well within tolerances. I'm beginning to suspect that the movement is crankshaft endplay, and I'm not very excited if that is the case. I found that my cars VIN number is within range of the #4 crank bearing TSB, so I called Mazda corporate to ask if this repair was ever done under warranty on my car. It wasn't. I'm unsure if it was ever done and I have no service records. My car had 52000 miles on it when I bought it, and was 9 years old, every place that I read said that all the Miatas with this issue were either repaired under warranty or the block was toast by now, is it possible that mine is one that neither of these scenarios happened to yet??

BatDan posted:

Wouldn't the car understeer quite badly then?

And I don't think strut braces are very common with Miatas as they don't have struts.

Definitely this, removing the rear sway entirely would cause massive understeer. Then on top of that, putting in a thicker front sway? I think you may have that backwards Phone, but even then I don't believe that removing the front sway bar entirely would increase handling at all.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 22, 2010

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Weinertron posted:

I'm 6'1" and have spent 4+ hours in my NB at a time, I find the actual driving position pretty good.

However, my standards for comfort are likely far lower than yours.

My friend is 6'7", he rode with me in my NB for 3 hours 30 minutes. He was very uncomfortable but it worked! The top was down of course. He has to hunch down if the top is up, as his head is above the windscreen.

He fit only slightly better in my 1992 Honda Accord.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 23, 2010

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That might just be the easiest radiator swap I've ever done. It took like 90 minutes(including a trip for a new lower hose.)

These cars are just so drat simple to work on it blows my mind that mine was made in year 2000.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Tactical Bonnet posted:

What's the best way to pop the miata and mazda emblems off the back of the car?

I've heard dental floss and goo-gone but I haven't tried this myself.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

crutt posted:

New Bilstein HD's with H&R "race" springs, FCM bumpstops, stock rear sway. What I'm saying is that without re-using the old bumpstop in a different position, that when the suspension was loaded- IE on the ground, there was play where the shock comes through the chassis. I had to re-use the old bumpstop (rubber) on top of the stock inner rubber bushing to tighten the shock-top completely.

edit: After some research it seems what I thought was the old bumpstop was actually the shock bushings. Was I supposed to reuse those with my new bumpstops?

Unless you got new shock bushings then yes, you should have reinstalled your old shock bushings on the new shock and spring, it doesn't matter that you got new bumpstops, you still need a shock bushing there as well.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

revmoo posted:

So all NB Miatas have engines with solid lifters?

I had no idea...

What's the adjustment intervals?

It's every 60k miles, or when you hear them tick depending on how you feel about it. I don't know why but I've never seen it mentioned on here or Miata.net

This is the maintenance schedule from the workshop manual for the 1999 Miata and I believe its the same schedule for the miata for all that used the BP-4W.

Click for big full size image!!

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Shlomo Palestein posted:

On the off chance I'm just missing something obvious:

Does anyone know a place other than ebay/craigslist/miata.net where I'll be able to find a drivers-side front fender for a '99 Emerald Mica Miata? The Ebay fenders are looking better than nothing (some come unpainted for ~$170 including shipping, but I worry about paint costs), but if I could find a junked car and grab the fender off that, I feel like I'll get away with paying less.

I'm in MA if that helps; I used to know the junkyards in the southern part of the state (norther RI as well), but that was a decade ago.

https://www.partsgroup.com has some excellent prices on miata parts and pictures of every one. I've picked out a few of my interior pieces on their website but have yet to give them a call.

edit: Looks like they might even have an emerald mica salvage car that they could pull a fender off for you.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 13, 2010

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Dominoes posted:

Tire leak. Will replace all 4. What are the best summer replacement tires for a 2006?

What kind of driving do you do?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Phone posted:

Anybody have an idea as to how to check for valve lash and make sure that your valves are in check?

and how to do the adjustment

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 15, 2010

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Thirded, top down is ultimate hairdresser experience. I never drive with the top up unless I have to.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I say go for it. Wrecking cars is what insurance is for. Also, I never planned on buying an NC anyway.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Shauntron posted:

After about half a year of obsessing over craigslist and going on test drives I finally got myself an NB with exactly the trim and color I was looking for!

Seen here parked in front of my Weaklipse.

80k miles and aside from relatively worn tires, it seems to need nothing. I'm in love. Whenever I do replace the tires, I may do the wheels as well- I was thinking something five spoke and flat black. Any suggestions?
Congrats on the emerald green mica NB buddy! The paint looks wonderful, the top looks to be great condition too! This ones mine.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I like the stock 5 spokes for the early NB's. :(

I agree!

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Stock miata wheels you say?

They're pretty rad.

So jealous of these. :swoon:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Crossposting this from stupid question thread.

Just hooked up a Snap-on Solus OBD2 scanner to my year 2000 mx5 for an unrelated issue (IAC valve). I noticed that my knock retard was reading steady at 30 degrees, it didn't change at all by changing engine speed. There is definitely no engine knock.

It runs fine other than an idle issue from a stuck IAC valve, theres never been any modifications, it gets good gas mileage, and has normal power throughout the whole RPM range.

It seems like if the knock retard was really at 30 degrees my car should not even be running, especially not running well. Knock sensors don't really break often and when they do, I thought that generally they just don't give any signal to the PCM, so it wouldn't be retarding timing.. I'm not sure where to go from here, any ideas?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

IOwnCalculus posted:

Besides, you lose the "WHEEEEE I'M HUNTING CONES" look with the lights down.

The two popped up headlights look like the sight of a handgun, except instead of helping you shoot people they help with hitting the apex.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

8th-samurai posted:

Will an open diff do donuts on wet pavement? Not standing water and not from a running start, I mean proper full steering lock and throttle mashing from standing

I'm like 90% sure my car came from the factory with an open diff. I have nagging thoughts (hopes) that the PO might have swapped in one.

Yeah, you don't need an LSD to do a donut. I think thats what you're asking? Limited slips are pretty hard to find and expensive so if he swapped one in at one point he probably would've tried to use it as a selling point.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

FatCow posted:

0, so no.

The trans only attaches to the engine and the PPF.

Thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure if it was different on the MSM or something. It might be slack in your differential or driveshaft revmoo.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

revmoo posted:

Diff bushings? Is there a driveshaft 'guibo' on these cars?

There is no guibo on the miata. The driveshaft ujoint (mazda calls it propeller shaft and calls the cv axles the driveshafts) has a flange on it that bolts directly to the differential companion flange. Could be diff bushings maybe? I don't know what the wiggle that you're experiencing is like.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

destructo posted:

Phone is the new Vitamin J.

If you want to get rid of those rattles and general shaky feel in the front end of the car, pick up a front shock tower brace and those frame rails, it's a night and day difference. Granted, this only works with the NA since the later ones already come with these as OEM equipment/are stiffer to begin with. It doesn't make the car faster, but it does make it much more enjoyable to drive.

The NB doesn't usually come with the shock tower brace, I don't know about the frame rails. AFAIK only the special editions and "sport suspension package" miatas came with the shock tower brace.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mark Larson posted:

My 2001 Miata is very shaky (like the famous 65mph shimmy) at speeds above 65 mph. It used to be stable until 80 mph, but then I got the tires rotated and it started to shake above 75, then I got a puncture repaired and it got worse.

I checked the lug nuts and they seem to be on tight, what else can I check?

Check your canooter valve and subwoofer bearings. If its not that, its probably either a tire balance problem or in need of a wheel alignment.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Sad miata :(

Got rear-ended on the highway because a guy wasn't paying attention to the emergency vehicle on the shoulder and slowing traffic ahead.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Brain Issues posted:

Sad miata :(

Got rear-ended on the highway because a guy wasn't paying attention to the emergency vehicle on the shoulder and slowing traffic ahead.
MAZDA CURSEEEE gently caress YOUUUU

OH MY GOD, I JUST GOT INTO ANOTHER ACCIDENT
TWO IN TWO DAYS

This time I was coming home from work going straight through an intersection when the light turned yellow, I didnt have enough room to stop so I went through, a car coming from the opposite direction ran the yellow turning left and we collided. My car is totaled I'm pretty sure. It was too dark for pictures maybe tomorrow I can go to the body shop and get pictures.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sup crashed NB buddy.

gently caress, I forgot to call the shop today to find out if mine is done yet.
:hfive:

I'm reallyyyy pissed.

Because these are two different accidents with two different insurance companies it will likely not be considered enough damage to total it.

I really don't want to drive this car after it is repaired, I feel it has sustained way too much damage.

What should I doooo?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Edit: double post whoops

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 26, 2011

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

FatCow posted:

I wonder if it could be double totaled. That would be pretty sweet.
If that was the case, it'd turn the worst two days of my live into the best thing that ever happened to me.

Elephanthead posted:

If you get it fixed at a reputable shop, you should not have a problem. Sell it to me for $1500 after it is fixed if you don't want it. Paint it black please.

I wouldn't sell this car to anyone that I liked. Both airbags blew and it took a great deal of damage.

Just got the body shop estimate from the second crash. Its definitely going to be totaled. They estimated just over $10,000 to repair only the damage to the front, the back damage was estimated at $2,000 already. Bringing it to a total of ~$12,000 to get my miata back in the condition that it was in. Blue book value private party in good condition was only $7500.

What should I buy now? :D

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 26, 2011

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Those tires were like brand new too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Piano posted:

Well poo poo now I'm scared to drive mine until springtime.

Neither accident was my fault and weather was not a cause of either accident. It was pure negligence on the other drivers both times. Don't be scurred.

FatCow posted:

Looks like a great candidate to be turned into a track car. Is the upper frame rail still straight?

No its not straight at all.

Edit:

By the way, the car that hit me was a Buick Rendezvous (their big ugly suv) and I was going about 35-40MPH, kind of a testament to the safety of the Miata if anything. Or maybe a testament to how lovely the Buick Rendezvous is?

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 27, 2011