Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4876084091.html

Looking for my first Miata. This guy said he's willing to part with it for $4250. I don't know a ton about the current market but in my two weeks or so of looking in the SF bay area, it's been hard to find one that's not modded terribly or just beat to poo poo.

Is that a fair price? Anything to be concerned about? One thing I noticed is the relatively high mileage but anecdotal evidence seems to say that these things run forever when properly maintained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

craig588 posted:

It's a pretty common problem that the handbrake actuators on the calipers get rusted up enough that they don't want to release which causes uneven wear and also makes changing brake pads much harder than it should be. It might be so rusted that even though they were able to force it to release with tools, just the strength of the handbrake lever isn't enough to move it.

Terrible wheels and shocks on that car. It's going to have a way worse ride than it normally should. I've ridden in cars with those KYB shocks that rode worse than 10+ year old worn out OEM shocks. Combined with the poly bushings (Which are great for a good suspension) it might make it INCREDIBLY harsh. Test drive another car before you decide on that one so you have a reference for what a normal worn out suspension would feel like.

The cold air intake isn't helping, but at least it looks like it uses a good filter and not a terrible oil soaked one so it's probably not hurting anything either.

Hard Dog makes good roll bars, but that's the small one so make sure you can pass the broomstick test with it.

The replacement seats look very nice.

He doesn't mention it so I'm not sure if it's still on the car, but the tow receiver is an after market part too.

Price, I have no idea though. Pricing is very regional, it's about double what I paid for a car in much worse condition, but also about 5 times what I paid for a car in similar condition, just from different parts of the country. I have a feeling that SF will have some of the highest prices in the country though.

Edit: Oh yeah, the strut tower bar is only hurting things by adding weight, Miatas don't need bracing there.

Thanks, this is really helpful.
Do you think it'd be better to start with a mostly stock Miata and add upgrades as I need, or start with something that has more modifications done. This would be my first car to track/tinker with (I do not plan on daily driving it, but I also don't want it to sit half worked on for months). If the things he added are not upgrades that make the car better, then it doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. I'm just hesitant to buy a stock car if I can pick up one with the correct mods for not much more.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4877804387.html

Is that much better then? I definitely get the point about never knowing how well people modded their cars, so this seems like a much saner purchase, even if it means spending more later on upgrades that I might want.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
This car popped up on Craigslist without pictures. He's asking $1500. Looks okay on the outside but interior is nice. 150k miles. I think I might check it out tonight, but any red flags from the pictures he sent me?

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4876559937.html

Gonna check this one out tomorrow. How bad is the bad synchro? Does ~400-500 seem like a realistic amount to get it fixed?

King of all Machines Operate fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 7, 2015

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

Nocheez posted:

If you're willing to pull the transmission yourself and take it to the shop, probably.

As someone who's never had a transmission problem before, is this something generally to stay far away from, or could I just drive it gently for awhile until I get fed up with it and then learn how to swap a transmission?

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

Looks like I'm a miata owner now. 94 m-edition, 140k miles. Slight grind into fifth gear if I do it too fast but otherwise everything else is great!

Coming from driving automatic sedans my whole life, this thing is incredible.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
What seats are you guys using with your rollbars? Looking for a combination that won't require tons of modification to fit in but also will reduce the chance of cracking my head on the bar in an accident.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Anyone have any experience with the TR Motorsport C1M wheels? Looks like it's a Tire Rack brand wheel specifically for Miatas and the miata.net dudes seem to like them (ugh). There's a guy near me selling a set of these with Hoosier R7s with 4 heat cycles.

Don't know much about these wheels or tires but I'm just looking for a set of cheap track set for the two or three track days a year I'd do.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
15 hours in on rollbar install and ONE bolt doesn't line up. I have all the backing plates fastened and somehow the drivers side seatbelt tower is off a few mm. Think it'd be ok to slot the top hole in the rollbar enough so the bolt fits straight, or should I really loosen everything up again and try to massage it into place?

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
The nice thing about spinning out into the dirt at my last track day is that oil leaks are now super visible. Noticed some seepage at the rear of the valve cover. I changed the gasket around 8k miles ago when I did the timing belt but maybe I messed up with the silicone in the corners or something. Anything else that commonly leaks back there or should I start with replacing the gasket?

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Anyone know what these vacuum lines are supposed to be connected to if anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I stuck my phone back there and took a picture of the position, then lined it up roughly and prayed.