Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I've got a miata question here:
Does the american version come with timing belt or chain ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Guys, my old car has broken down again and I feel like replacing it with a miata.
Thing is though, the ones I can afford have ~100k-135k on the clock already and are about 15 years old.
Would you still recommend a miata this old or will keeping it on the streets ruin me financially ?
The one I'm currently eyeballing does have new breaks, a new clutch and a new timing belt.
I would be keeping it for another 3-4 years perhaps and drive about 10k a year.

duep fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 1, 2007

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Did Mazda change the rims' layout with the '94 facelift or just the design ?
In other words, will '95 rims fit on a 92' miata ?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I was looking at a miata the other day that had somewhat noticable valve play.
Is it common in the NA models to hear the valves do their business or should I stay away from that car ?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
How does one adjust the side windows so they will roll up about 5 mm higher?
Though there isn't any water getting inside they barely touch the soft top's sealing and another mm more couldn't hurt.
It's got the manual windows in case it matters.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Okay Guys, time for some weird noise analysis.
I've noticed that my red lady makes a quiet whoooooooo noise. I am suspecting I's coming from the gearbox, but as a deafning bastard I cannot locate the noise properly. The noise only appears under load and vanishes when I get off the gas or engage the clutch. Also I noticed that sometimes engaging gears is a bit unsmooth.
Do you think replacing the transmission oil might help ? Car is a 1.6 NA, 92k on the clock.

edit: Mystery about the noise solved. Took it for a spin through the country. Bloody softtop is making the whooooo :argh:

duep fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 15, 2007

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I am experiencing a little trouble with the shifting.
When I shift slowly everything is pretty much quite smooth, but when I shift in a let's say more sportive way, I get some resistance that feels like grinding gears. Though usually there isn't any noise at all, when I shift really fast it is accompanied by a clunk noise. This does not seem to get better as the transmission warms up.
I have experienced this with second, third and fourth gear, probably also happens in first and fifth, I just don't use these as much. Clutch does not seem to be leaking.

duep fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 17, 2007

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
It's a '92 with 92k on the clock.
Sadly I have no idea when the transmission oil was changed last time, so that was definitely on my to do list anyways.
Swapping the clutch slave shouldn't be much of a problem either, but the master is about 70€ here and I am, well, sort of broke right now. I havent inspected the pieces itself, I can only state that the fluid level doesn't seem to be sinking.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I've noticed a screeching/squeaking noise lately from somewhere in the engine bay. At first I thought it was just the soft top, but after enjoying the good weather the past few days I have to say its definitely coming from somewhere else. I'm a bit of a deafening bastard, but I think its coming from the front.
It appears to be velocity dependent and is only noticeable around 20 to 40 mph after the car has warmed up. It's not the breaks and definitely not my belt. Sometimes it disappears when I step on the clutch, or switch out of gear, usually it does not though. I'm not experiencing any trouble except annoyance.
Since I couldn't reproduce the noise while standing I'm a bit baffled and have to ask for your guesses.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I want to replace a squeaky throw out bearing and was wondering if I need any special tools to remove the gearbox (which presumably has to be removed to get to the clutch). Should I replace the flywheel bearing as well while I'm at it?
Also is it sort of an afternoon project or should I calculate an entire day ?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
How much pressure do I need for 215/40 R16 (Toyo Proxes) ? 28 psi or more ?

duep fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 11, 2008

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain

ultimateforce posted:

Help something happened to my Miata!

Did your scent tree run out of odor ?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I'm looking for oil advice, 1.6 NA.
The 10W40 I'm currently using was fine in winter, but in hot weather I'm getting a fair bit of hot tick after thrashing down a country lane or flooring it for a while on the autobahn. Would changing to 5W30 probably solve that problem or should I go straight for an oilcooler ?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
My baby has come a long way ...
Still running as smooth as a qeen in slippers made of silk

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Of what diameter should the centering pin for reassembling the cluth be ? One side should fit into the pilot bearing and the other into the throw out bearing, right ?

duep fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 9, 2008

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I am trying to get hold of a mystery noise and would like to disconnect the speedometer cable from the gearbox, so I can see if the bansheelike screaming stops. Can I reach the connector when I remove the center console or do I have to jack the car up and disconnect it from below ?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Good news first: I managed to replace my flyweel bearing and the noise is gone.

Bad news: I managed to break one of the bolts mounting the transmisson onto the clutch casing. Any suggestions how to get whats left of it out of the socket without drilling ?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I just switched to winter tires after having to replace a pair because of a nail and what is the first thing I notice when I remove my summer proxes ? You've guessed it. A two inch long nail stuck in the front left tire. Goddamn contractors too stupid to clean after themselves. I hope they all get jumped in a dark alley, get stabbed in the guts, get their eyes gorged out and finally get urinated on.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain

Phone posted:

My 94 has been making a squeaking noise when rolling. There's no thumping, just a squeak once in a while.

Any ideas?

Probably your speedometer cable. That thing screams like a banshee when it hasn't been lubricated in a long time.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Help me identify a mystery seal please.

I'm replacing the valve cover gasket, the CAS ring (is it one or two?) and then I want to replace that leaky one on top of the cover that is connected to the intake and that I don't know of how it's called.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I'm planning on replacing the valve cover gasket over Easter. I've got the gasket and CAS seal already, but I couldn't get a hand on silicone sealant. So I was wondering if, as the repair manual suggests, applying silicone sealant to the corners of the cams is indeed necessary or if this can be skipped safely without the cover spitting oil over my timing belt afterwards.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Unfortunately I'm stuck with German suppliers, which want you to bring your car in for the easiest of tasks and try to rip you off no matter what.
Anyway, I guess I'll try my luck with a few more tomorrow.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I took advantage of the good weather today and managed to seduced my Miata into letting me take a few topless shots of her. So here we go.

Valve cover and CAS done an no more leaks to be spotted.

In related news I could finally get a hold of that silicone sealant and got ripped off royally by the dealership. Open heart surgery is cheap compared to buying branded parts here in Germany.

I also installed new Hella headlamps the other day and suddenly it is possible to actually see what's in front of you instead of just wildly guessing.

duep fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 10, 2009

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
My Proxes T1-S started to annoy the living hell out of me.
Naturally with this kind of tires I drive them hard a lot, so the saw tooth syndrome on the thread is sort of to be expected, what I did not expect however was the rolling noise that I get since I rotated them when I switched back from my winter tires last weekend. Between 30 and 50 mph the noise I get is almost intolerable. I have tried altering the pressure, which did not appear to bring any changes whatsoever.
Thread wear is not important to me, as I plan on going on a driving holiday in the Alps, which means I will most likely burn through them this season anyway, so my question to you is if rotating the tires back to the way they were should bring any relief? At least I don't recall getting noticeable noise by the end of last season.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
When I was polishing the Miata the other weekend I couldn't help but notice a crack in the paint on one of my fenders. I have no idea where it comes from, but the paint around it appears a bit loose. I can push it to the metal and it comes right back. When I look into the crack I can see the subcoating still intact and no signs of rust.

What may have caused such a thing and more importantly how do I seal it so it won't start to rust?

In unrelated news, it started raining soon after I was done polishing.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Can I just pull the drive shaft out of the back of the transmission or would that result in me getting an oil shower?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Since the last cold period my air bag light started flashing (defective s sensor allegedly). As the air bag in the first gen Miatas has a reputation of causing more injuries than preventing them anyways I decided to just disable all of it instead of getting it fixed (I live in Europe, so an air bag is not mandatory here). Now what I am wondering is if I have to remove that overlapping part of the safety belt which supposedly extends the belt (that's the part near the bottom mount, covered in a sleeve) as well so my pretty face does not hit the steering wheel in the event of an accident or if I'll be fine without tempering with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Can a '92 run on E10 without modifications or will all that extra ethanol destroy hoses and seals and clog everything up?

duep fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 12, 2011