Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
My 95 Miata has been making a funny whirring/whistling sound between 1000 and 1500 rpm regardless of load. I haven't been able to figure it out, but so far it seems like it's been benign. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

GoblinBomb posted:

Secondly, while tracing the vacuum hose for the useless boost gauge, I found another vacuum hose connected to it near where it goes through the firewall. The second hose goes from the footwell area to behind the dash where I can't see it. Any ideas what it could be going to?
I'm fairly certain that the car had a Megasquirt box at some point, since there is a GM-style AIT sensor bunged into the air intake tube. But since the car still has the AFM in and connected, and it won't start with the AFM disconnected, I've assumed that the Megasquirt was removed and the AIT sensor was left out of laziness. Am I wrong?

I think you've answered your own question here. the Megasquirt has a MAP sensor inside the box so you run a vacuum line all the way to the ECU. The AIT sensor is not enough to run the car alone, it works in conjunction with the MAP sensor (PV=nRT and all that).

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well yeah, in most cases the Megasquirt either replaces the stock ECU in the stock location or runs as a piggyback and is mounted near the stock unit.

edit: You know it's possible the PO just started a Megasquirt project and never finished...

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Guinness posted:

The Miata, and most Mazdas, are notorious for running on the rich side. The Miata will consume significantly more fuel if you keep it above 4000rpm for long periods of time - that's the point where the ECU goes to open loop. It just so happens that 4000rpm in 5th gear is pretty much exactly 80mph. So if you're going for good highway mileage keep cruising speeds below 80.
I thought that it only goes into open loop if you're above 4000rpm AND have the throttle depressed more than 3/4 of the way.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I had a paintless dent removal done for $100 on a few deep dings... overall it was a good experience and pretty impressive seeing the guy work. I don't know how much it would run for as many dents you describe or how severe they actually are. Since it's just a fender, I think your best bet is to find a replacement.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Ziploc posted:

No destruction pictures Savington?
http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t32197-2/#post376458
He loves miataturbo.net more than he loves us.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Slothophile posted:

No offense but what the gently caress is up with you guys and cupholders, can you not stand to be without liquid while you drive to work? I think the only time i've needed to drink in my car was when I drove for about 8 hours straight through France, and even then you can just jam a water bottle between the seat and center console.

Every thread which mentions the interior of a car has something about cupholders, it's ridiculous.

well if i spill beer in the car then it'll smell bad won't it?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
The CARB legal BEGi kit for the 1.8 uses an FPR. I actually had this setup w/ a GT2554, but have since gone to Megasquirt.

BEGi's Xede solution is still a piggyback, but it's nothing to scoff at. I believe it has more resolution/table-space than the Megasquirt, but it also doesn't have a MAP sensor, so it doesn't know how much boost there is. It only knows "there is boost" ... vs the MS which lets you tune the entire fuel and spark maps based on MAP.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Also, a cost effective approach can be to use BEGi's manifold and downpipe and then use ebay for the rest of your parts... however you won't get the CARB EO number if you need that. Also you'd need to know what you're doing. I'm pretty sure Savington did something like this (though I'm not sure what besides his DP is from BEGi)

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Savington posted:

I swear this came from a Miata :v:

217whp/192wtq, 15.5psi tapering to 11psi at redline.

Wait wait wait... the date on that says 3/12/09. This is your car? You seriously got it fixed already?
e: also, why are your AFRs so low? 10.5 seems ridiculously rich. I figured 12-12.5 was really as rich as you needed to go?

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 15, 2009

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Savington posted:

8.5 days. Would have been under a week, but I had to wait for a BSP to NPT adapter that held me up for 2 days. :(

Miatas make the most power around 11.6:1.I tune a little richer than that, usually around 11.0-11.2:1 for safety. My fuel map is basically untuned right now; I'm going to work on it when I get some time in the next few weeks and head back to the dyno in a month or two with a couple of maps to try.

Interesting, I'd never heard that before. Mind you, most of the time I just mindlessly do whatever Corky Bell tells me to do. I thought he aims for 12.5-13 (but maybe that's at lower boost)... I suppose there's probably a significant difference in economy?

edit: for what it's worth, I'm at about 12.1 at 9psi (figuring that was low enough to be safe), but I haven't been to the dyno yet. My timing map is the stock MSPnP one, so I just sort of assume it's safe (can't hear anything and KSMS doesn't light up).

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 16, 2009

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
What's a used stock known-good radiator worth? I've got one I need to unload. Like $50 tops?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can't help you on the mechanic recommendation, but tool wise if you have a ratchet and some means of lifting the car safely, the O2 sensor should be no more than a single wiring connection and getting the old one out / putting the new one in. You can rent O2 sensor sockets at Autozone, they're just large sockets with a slit down the side for the wiring. I've never done one on a Miata so I don't know if you even need to bother lifting the car or not.

EGR shouldn't need any special tools, but the actual EGR valve should be on the top of the engine and fairly simple to replace.

Yeah, the O2 sensor is accessible from the driver's side front wheel well, so it's probably easiest to lift the car and take the tire off.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Guinness posted:

I just got my 95 emissions tested today (passed no problem at all, hurrah). But when I was on the dyno, something tripped my ABS light on the dash. The same thing happened two years ago when I got emissions tested. These are the only two times it's ever happened in the 2.5 years I've owned the car, so I'm really not worried about it.

But now I've been trying to come up with why that light gets tripped on a dyno. The best I can come up with is it having something to do with the front and back wheels moving at very different speeds, but it's just a guess. Anyone here know a bit more definitively?

I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason. There are speed sensors on all the wheels, and ABS only reacts when the wheel speeds are far enough apart that the ABS computer decides 'something ain't right, i better act" ... and presumably the dyno operator stepped on the brake at some point.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Guinness posted:

I was the one behind the driver seat, and I never touched the brake pedal until the end. It's not that the ABS kicked in, but the light lit up and stayed lit as though it was like "hey I don't like something".

Unless you mean there's a brake on the dyno itself?
No, I meant the break pedal in the car. Truth be told, I don't know exactly what situations cause the ABS light to actually turn on, so at this point your guess is as good as mine. It might be that it thinks there's a fault in one of the sensors since the dyno confuses it, but I'm writing an article for Modern Jackass here.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

GoblinBomb posted:

Turbo/SC guys, does the OE catalytic converter become a choke point when you add boost? My cat is pretty much dead, and I plan on doing FI... eventually, and I don't want to get an OE replacement and then find out I need a mad tyte high-flow cat or something silly.

Yes it does. You'll want something that matches the diameter of your downpipe and catback. 2.5" is fine up to 12psi or so. Beyond that you'll want to go to 3". Do you need to replace the cat now because of smog or inspection?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

mars posted:

well this thread seems to have take a turn for post your crashed miata :(

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

This happened a week ago, and I've only had the car for 3 weeks. It was raining, and I had bald tires (RE01Rs were in the garage waiting to be put on).

I'm not sure how much I can fix it, so I'm sort of weighing my options and looking for another one at the same time.

oh man if you're going to part it out I'm really interested. I want your mirrors. Where are you located? Please email me at hogobituary at gmail.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Still, $4500 seems quite cheap for that car, no? It seems to be pretty well sorted, but yeah, smog is going to be questionable.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

destructo posted:

No, turboed cars rarely sell for much more than stock ones.

Welp, guess I'll be holding onto mine for a long time then.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Baby Hitler posted:

Pretty much. The hoses are clamped badly, the vent line is now made of fuel line, the intercooler is dinged to hell, and the dumb bastard insulated his comrpessor outlet line. Its not tape, its a insulating wrap like for a/c lines. Presentation isn't everything but I wouldn't buy it for anything over cheap N/A NA prices since he doesn't care enough to make it look really nice. Engine is clean, though but really 5bucks a pressure washer fixes that.

What does 'hoses are clamped badly' mean? I'm genuinely curious as I don't want to be badly clamping hoses. Also it looks like he's insulated his compressor inlet line, not the outlet line, as far as I can tell.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
$5000 isn't really a steal for a '95M, but accounting for dealer markup it seems okay. It'll hold its value better than an ordinary NA, but don't be so sure you'll turn a profit selling it.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Look what happened to my hardtop. :(

Thankfully it's only a SnugTop and not worth $1000... but I think it's basically useless now. Think it would be safe if I bolted it on at all 4 latch points?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Well I bought it.
Congrats. Enjoy it... does it actually have all the BBS center caps like the photos show? If you're parking on the street I'd probably just take them off now and put them in your closet because they'll get stolen pretty fast.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Tactical Bonnet posted:

One is actually already gone, Supposedly it "must have bounced out" after I left the shop that checked it over before I bought it, but I'll be going to work on that soon.

edit: Is there a way, other than taking them off, to keep them from getting stolen? I really do hate the look of the wheels without them, but don't want to have to buy new ones to replace any than go walkabout.

Not really... I mean you could do something retarded like glue them on, but then I don't know how the hell you'd ever get the tire off when you needed to. New ones are like $40-$50 (EACH!) on ebay last I checked.

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 18, 2009

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Tactical Bonnet posted:

edit: I found a centercap, new from the dealer for $24.XX after tax. :3:

What really? It never even occurred to me to get it from the dealer. Do you have it in your hands or is it something you ordered at the parts counter? Cause I hope you're getting the BBS center cap and not something else? :aaa:

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Yup, that looks like a pretty good buy if you can get it for $5k aside from the mileage. I'm a little suspicious of what "new hardtop" means though. If it's not OEM it's not worth $1000.

quote:

Bilstein Coil-Overs with Eibach Springs, Height Adjustable
This has the potential to be a very nice setup, depending on the spring rates. However, if they are Bilstein HDs, then I hear the ride can be very harsh and folks on miata.net aren't that fond of them. You could always get them revalved by Fat Cat Motorsports though.

quote:

Tubular Sway Bars front and rear with Heim Joints
I'd be a little concerned that there's just too much sway bar in the rear. The good thing is that a lot of his little upgrades and accessories are perfectly saleable.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Personally, I'd prefer the higher mileage car that has been taken care of, but mileage is still mileage. The BP is pretty stout, but you should be concerned about the timing belt and the clutch.

If the seller has credible records showing that they were done recently, then you're in pretty good shape at that price. If not, then consider that you'll have to replace them and both jobs are labor intensive. I can't say how long the clutch or belt will last... you might get another 60k out of the car before you have to do them, or you might have to one of them next week.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Heh, that's funny since I've got the same car as you and I'd take the soft top out and bolt my hard top on if my HT weren't busted (and also a lovely SnugTop). :(

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Looks like somebody is selling theirs...
http://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/isc/cl...prevaction=show
:P

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well there's always goop/sealer/etc as wintyfresh mentioned. I think you can use something that's not super strong/harsh (silicone?) so it'll be reversible should you ever try to put it on the concourse in 20 years. :P

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Yeah, I'm running an MSPnP. Cool beans. That's a great price though, I think I paid nearly double for my PnP after shipping, etc.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Savington posted:

I did Energy Suspension bushings a while back and love them. I'll probably do MMRs eventually. Can't justify $100 for diff bushings right now.
Did you put zerks in them? They require annual greasing right?
Why're you selling your hardtop, btw?

Oh yeah, so I just pulled the trigger on a set of non-adjustable Fat Cat Motorsports coilovers today since I hate money. The wait is going to kill me.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Oh sorry, I just assumed you guys knew what I was talking about. The shocks are non-adjustable.
http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bilstein_coilover_revalve.htm

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Speaking of dash works, is there a way to adjust the vents? Mine are rather loose and flop downwards all the time. I'd really prefer to avoid the "jam something in them to hold them in place," or "use grippy tape" methods.

Try setting them where you want and then just pushing it in a bit. Usually that works to keep them where you adjusted them.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
You can do stock springs with Tokico Illuminas and Fat Cat Motorsports bump stops and it should be pretty comfortable.
The general consensus I've found over on miata.net is that Illuminas are preferred over KYB AGX or Bilstein HD. Apparently the stock valving for NA Bilstein HDs sucks and the ride is very rough.

edit: NONE of this is based on personal experience.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Springs don't really ever need replacing unless they're broken.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Wait, are you going to do a full build on that 99 motor now? Lowering compression I assume?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
A regular single DIN size head unit will fit just fine.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Doesn't credit card via PayPal give you a reasonable amount of protection? (I've never actually tried to dispute anything with PayPal, but they sure try to make it seem safe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
So are you saying credit card via paypal is good or bad?