Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Dunk does a 2 day festival in Belgium (and Vermont apparently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

A human heart posted:

A big post rock festival is a tough proposition because people tend to fall asleep after the first three bands

Talking of which:

Meh, I dunno. Not nearly as good as previous years yet IMO. Still loads more to come though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

Talking of which:

Meh, I dunno. Not nearly as good as previous years yet IMO. Still loads more to come though.

Rolo Tomassi being there is :psypop:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just today I learned that Flying Saucer Attack came back in 2015.

I also learned the two albums he's put out since 2015 are pretty bad. :smith:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Paul Clipson, who worked as a projectionist with Tarantel, Grouper and others, passed away this weekend.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

A human heart posted:

A big post rock festival is a tough proposition because people tend to fall asleep after the first three bands
Well considering the average song length I can only assume that's at least 7 hours.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got God's Pee tickets, what's on their setlist this year?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Pomp posted:

I got God's Pee tickets, what's on their setlist this year?

When I saw them a few months back it was most of Luciferian Towers followed up by all of Slow Riot. With some extra intro/bridge stuff that I don’t think were ‘real’ tracks.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
This Will Destroy You is playing their first album in it's entirety here in May...might go.

Of course I could just listen to the album but its at a venue I've never been to before and it's not super expensive or anything...so we'll see.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This Will Destroy You is playing their first album in it's entirety here in May...might go.

Of course I could just listen to the album but its at a venue I've never been to before and it's not super expensive or anything...so we'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

They're so loving good live. And loud too. Go to this. Do not hesitate.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
they're finishing up a new album too. go see twdy

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Just listened to Jakob's Cale:Drew for the first time (the remaster) and there was a bit of a :aaa: moment on the original final track when the outro is also the intro for Malachite, first track off their next record Solace. That was amazing, wish the bonus track was next-to-last so it had even more impact.

The first two songs on C:D immediately stood out. Absolute bangers. The rest will take more listens probably.

In this batch of music I also bought the Solace remaster and pg.lost's latest (among other insanely good off-topic stuff). Good headphone times are ahead.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Jakob is excellent if a bit samey at times. There's a definite Jakob sound permeating most of their tracks. It's not a single riff or anything but it kind of feels like it at times.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

i think jakob's albums are a bit samey within themselves but each album has a bit of a different sound. their lows are still pretty good and there are a solid 3-4 really good tracks on each album. they're also awesome live

e: be sure to check out their self titled and erfo EPs if anyone here hasn't already. means and amasae are 2 of their best songs (verstaerker is good too)

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 17, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

"Samey" is not a criticism I would think of to direct at Jakob; I really like their style so I always want more of it. I'm also not a fan of wild tempo or style changes.

I was actually hearing The Diffusion of Our Inherent Situation in my dreams last night, that's when you know you like a song I guess.

e: Something I've noticed Jakob is really good at - making actual music out of chaotic guitar distortion/feedback/etc. Like, with their loudest movements with lots of guitar noise, they control it in a way where it always has a structure that fits with the drums/bass. That's super neato.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 18, 2018

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

They're so loving good live. And loud too. Go to this. Do not hesitate.

strap on revenge posted:

they're finishing up a new album too. go see twdy

I caved and got tickets. You absolute monsters.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Saw Mogwai in Perth as they only get over here about every three years.

They were so loving loud, it was great. Also Mogwai Fear Satan is amazing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Robert Smith is curating the Meltdown series of shows in the Southbank Centre in London this June and it looks like he quite likes his post rock. Saw Lift To Experience there last year and it was fantastic.

quote:

Deftones, The Libertines, Manic Street Preachers, Mogwai, My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails, Placebo, The Psychedelic Furs, 65daysofstatic, Alcest, The Anchoress, Kristin Hersh, Kathryn Joseph, MONO, and The Notwist.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Junkenstein posted:

Robert Smith is curating the Meltdown series of shows in the Southbank Centre in London this June and it looks like he quite likes his post rock. Saw Lift To Experience there last year and it was fantastic.

Not surprised, Smith has toured with loads of post-rock bands, 65 and Laura come to mind. He even contributed vocals to a 65 EP. He's been a strong supporter of the scene for donkey's years. Looks like a drat good lineup he's put together though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Junkenstein posted:

Saw Lift To Experience there last year and it was fantastic.

Why did nobody tell me Lift To Experience got back together?! Holy gently caress!

I had that Josh T. Pearson record and loved it but had totally given up on him doing loud music again, gently caress yes!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Also 65 supported the cure

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In the mid-2000s there was that tour that was like The Cure, Mogwai, Interpol, and I dunno maybe She Wants Revenge or something?

I remember thinking "well there's gonna be a lot of pale people loving going on after those shows"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

precision posted:

In the mid-2000s there was that tour that was like The Cure, Mogwai, Interpol, and I dunno maybe She Wants Revenge or something?

I remember thinking "well there's gonna be a lot of pale people loving going on after those shows"
Curiosa! I saw the Detroit leg, I think the other bands there were... Muse, The Rapture, Auf der Maur, and Head Automatica?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Didn't realize that Hammock did the soundtrack for Far Cry 5, how odd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qODreM5mrJs

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
God is an Astronaut have a new album out at the end of April, called Epitaph. They've put on one of the prettiest and best post-rock shows I've ever seen, so I am hyped.

Two songs have been released:

Epitaph
Komorebi

Epitaph is a mean, hard song and totally unlike their previous work, which makes me interested to see where the rest of the album goes. Komorebi is ambient and kind of filler-ish. Other than the name - "Komorebi is an untranslatable word, which eloquently captures the effect of sunlight streaming through the leaves of the trees. The shadow created on the ground, or even in our curtains, describes this everyday beauty." - it's kind of samey-same.

Anyways...can't wait to see them again when they come to my little part of the world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Epitaph fuckin' rips holy poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not really feeling either of those tracks :smith: It's been several years since GIAA put out something that really wowed me, which is a shame because they used to be one of my absolute favorites and one of my go-to bands that I'd recommend to anyone I knew who wanted to get into post-rock back in the day.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Poly-Math released their new album which is a great instrumental prog/math mix.

Spotify link

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Double post but speaking of GIAA their new album is streaming here: http://www.hotpress.com/God-Is-An-Astronaut/EXCLUSIVE-Live-stream-God-Is-An-Astronauts-new-album-here/22048167.html

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
every GIAA album owns except Origins or whatever the gently caress it was called

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pomp posted:

every GIAA album owns except Origins or whatever the gently caress it was called

yeah that one was... not great

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

New Toundra out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFNLm380Uzg

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

It's a little short but I like it. Tuareg is Latitudes-y in places.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Supposedly there's new Mogwai, Sigur Ros, and God is an Astronaut today? :pcgaming:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Jehde posted:

God is an Astronaut today? :pcgaming:

:getin::getin::getin:

e: I thought it wasn't streaming yet cause I didn't see it on google music immediately; it is there, just not sorted to the top for some reason

e2: vv

yeah the GIAA album is.... disappointing

kumba fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 27, 2018

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

All three of these are super ambient.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jehde posted:

All three of these are super ambient.

Two of those I'm not surprised by: Sigur Ros isn't technically new, it's their 24-hour Route One stream cut down to the most interesting bits, and Mogwai's is some soundtrack work, I think.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mogwai's soundtrack work is so hit or miss. Zidane sounded like the less-good cousin of CODY, but Les Revenants was loving godly

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

i really hope sigur ros put out a new album sooner rather than later. i've been revisiting a bunch of their stuff that i've listened to less and it's all so good

edit: and if any of you liked route one/ovedur you should definitely check out the untitled alex somers album that came out at nordur og nidur/rsd, it;s similarly ambient

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

SmokinDan posted:

It's a little short but I like it. Tuareg is Latitudes-y in places.

Yeah I'm listening through for the first time now and digging the poo poo out of the drumming in Tuareg