Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Mogwai show was far from ideal, but I did enjoy the new stuff, and it would be hard for me not to fund new Mogwai.

It is kinda funny to compare how dumb the infrastructure of the show is compared to, say the recent clipping show.

Mogwai you had to pay 15 bux for a limited access to an unlisted youtube link which featured stitched together performances of each track of the new album, and a couple classics. Enjoyable as a Mogwai performance, but uh...

Clipping you didn't have to pay anything (but they fundraised midwifery), it was public youtube link that you can still replay, and it was a continuous live performance, featuring a mix of old and new. No doubt the best covid show.

I'm liking the new Mogwai, but when it comes to covid shows, it pales in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
oh drat the new mogwai is pretty nice, I haven’t really liked any of their new stuff in a while but this sounds like young team combined with the Hawk is howling https://youtu.be/jAX7tKZ-3lg

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Seems Mogwai heard the complaints, they're re-airing the show for a full week starting today at 8PM GMT. Free if you paid for a ticket already, and they are re-opening sales for those who missed the window.

https://store.mogwai.scot/pages/performancefilmfaq

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They also uploaded video of one of my faves from the new album from that performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=styy5THdQcM

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rewatch of the Mogwai show has been better, I think it's a totally solid album. The bookends to pad it don't feel quite in tune, but they're still solid enough. Like it feels like they had a superb EP, but didn't want to limit it to an EP so padded it a bit to make it a full album. And that padding isn't bad, just doesn't feel as cohesive. Unexpected composition aside, s'all good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm listening to the album now and digging it. It's not my favorite Mogwai album, but it is solid. It's still new Mogwai!

Ceiling Granny absolutely slaps. Studio version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikjDE21oiDY

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This album felt less like a new Mogwai album and more like an album in which Mogwai was covering other post-rock bands kind of, like 50 Cent used to do with rap music. I can’t tell if it’s influence, homage, or both

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, it's solid Mogwai, which could be seen as either criticism or praise. I'm thankful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Mogwai is #1 album in the UK, which is wild :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/mogwaiband/status/1364567427347005440

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
^ Guess it's time to check it out, I haven't listened to Mogwai in years.

On that note, any recs for recent post-rock albums that don't pull too much from the EITS, Tortoise, or Neurosis-style bags of tricks? Here are some I've checked out recently:

JazzArt Underground by Cisnienie. loving excellent, like doomjazz Glenn Branca. Very revival era Swans influenced for sure but with a greater focus on musicianship which is cool.

Post by Farboro. This is what I would probably imagine if I had no idea what post-rock was and heard the word for the first time. Immense in sonic variety and scope and somehow not even slightly pretentious.

Every Valley by Public Service Broadcasting. A very pretty and sentimental indie rock influenced album about... the collapse of the coal industry in South Wales. Uses archival radio recordings to tell the story which I dig, almost like an audio documentary.

The Kinspiral by p.rosa - Need to revisit this one, it's very long and has a patchwork kind of quality to the sounds it uses but I remember enjoying the atmosphere and variety.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
65daysofstatic is high energy post-rock band with numerous electronic influences and their build ups are just as mournful and whimsical and haunting as any of the other big guys in the field but their albums have a very unique sense of style and I always found them to be a very awesome foil to the slow and twinkly side of post rock

Two great songs to start with are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYXlFYBW56g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZEcg8NLtM

And here’s their last (?) live show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlKyv9Q6cMw

And here’s their first two albums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PrJo0X3xXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfXVif7C4oE

Their newer albums all trend towards higher production value and more beeps and boops

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 26, 2021

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

internet celebrity posted:

^ Guess it's time to check it out, I haven't listened to Mogwai in years.

On that note, any recs for recent post-rock albums that don't pull too much from the EITS, Tortoise, or Neurosis-style bags of tricks? Here are some I've checked out recently:

listen to Rave Tapes and kill two birds with one stone

some other non-eits-type post-rock i've enjoyed recently: Barrens, Aesthesys, and Kjjjjjjjjj,

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I absolutely used to love 65dos. I’ve seen them so many loving times I’ve lost count. I’ve done photography at their gigs. I’ve introduced loads of other folk to them. They’re a huge part of my life.

But I cannot get into the new stuff at all and I feel bad about it. Sorry, lads.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Radio Protector is a big part of my inspiration for wanting to pick up a keyboard and start making my own music, which I started in '07 and am still doing, so those first couple 65dos albums were huge for me and always will be. But yeah, I also haven't been really into what they've been doing the past several years and it bums me out too :(

Though Taipei off of Wild Light loving rules (that album is 8 years old, loving hell)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmL5Cb7ljn8

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 26, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO I just checked and yeah my last record of theirs is from 2010, so I have absolutely no idea what they’ve morphed into

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/plasmatron/status/1363899840011395078?s=21

Good for them

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh, it’s already been and gone - unbelievable

https://t.co/xwNrF1Agwv

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Listened to the new Mogwai yesterday, it's good. gently caress Off Money goes hard and is definitely the peak to me but I wish it took its time a little more. Some tracks like Ceiling Granny feel like they want to do dream pop/shoegaze but aren't willing to commit to it fully. Overall solid but nothing I haven't heard before, I can kind of see why it's having a lot of mainstream success.

I've listened to the first two 65DOS albums in the past, I'll probably revisit them and check out their newer stuff to see what they've been doing.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

internet celebrity posted:

Some tracks like Ceiling Granny feel like they want to do dream pop/shoegaze but aren't willing to commit to it fully.

This caught my attention. I wouldn't call myself a Mogwai fan, but I've been really digging the shoegaze sound lately so I will check out the album now. Hum released a new album last year that was along those same lines. I wonder if the Minor Victories project (Braithwaite + Rachel Goswell of Slowdive) had anything to do with it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
speaking of mogwai i had no idea that they did a soundtrack for a narcos like crime drama, zerozerozero. i was watching it and i was like drat this is a good soundtrack but sounds vaguely familiar, then realized it was mogwai.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's a new Godspeed album baby, and it's called...G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END! lmao

https://twitter.com/brooklynvegan/status/1367120519955374086

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
aw yeah

https://twitter.com/cstrecords/status/1367117745385594886

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm finding it pretty hard to get excited about GYBE in any way. The last three-ish albums had some highlights but really leaned in to the boring ambient drone noise. Not really my thing compared to the earlier albums.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm finding it pretty hard to get excited about GYBE in any way. The last three-ish albums had some highlights but really leaned in to the boring ambient drone noise. Not really my thing compared to the earlier albums.

man i feel exactly the opposite. i thought luciferian towers is the most interesting thing they've done and their earliest few bore me to tears

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
....I honestly cannot imagine thinking Skinny Fists or F# are anything other than fully foundational albums of the genre

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Actually, maybe not "aw yeah". If I assume that both of the new songs were previously known as Glacier and Cliff, which don't grab me at all, then meh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

....I honestly cannot imagine thinking Skinny Fists or F# are anything other than fully foundational albums of the genre

Not endorsing the take but sometimes foundational stuff is boring.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Guess it's time to finish their discography so I can know for sure if the original version of F#A# is still their best release.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not endorsing the take but sometimes foundational stuff is boring.

Fair enough. When I was deeply in my stoner/sludge/Doom metal phase and was hacking my way through ISIS and poo poo I downloaded the Neurosis discography the way all of my metal priest friends told me I had to and then just kinda scrolled through it, clicking around different sounds and just was like... “this is going to be like trying to eat a cinder block with a plastic spoon” and never even bothered

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Fair enough. When I was deeply in my stoner/sludge/Doom metal phase and was hacking my way through ISIS and poo poo I downloaded the Neurosis discography the way all of my metal priest friends told me I had to and then just kinda scrolled through it, clicking around different sounds and just was like... “this is going to be like trying to eat a cinder block with a plastic spoon” and never even bothered

Now that's a bad take!

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Bust Rodd posted:

If you haven't listened to Souls at Zero then you haven't lived

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Bust Rodd posted:

What da

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Captain Hotbutt posted:

counterpoint, luciferian towers is flawless and doesn't have a single wasted second, probably my favourite piece of music

glacier/cliff I'm more doubtful about, it was the only part of their live set that didn't really work out, hopefully they polish it more for the album

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Vesi posted:

counterpoint, luciferian towers is flawless and doesn't have a single wasted second, probably my favourite piece of music

it's certainly not complex and challenging like the first few albums, but it more than makes up for it by being absolutely gorgeous

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My favorite quality of GS!YBE throwing on one of their records and it gets so ambient and droney and spacey that I forget I’m even listening to music and then some swelling orchestral soundscape with strings comes in and I look up from my desk or game or whatever like “what is this incredible oh yeah I’m just listening to East Hastings again for 3,000th time”

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I completely missed that Grails finally put a new record out back in 2017 and holy gently caress it's phenomenal. And incredibly diverse. It has tracks that sound like everything from Trans Am to Portishead. Really loving good poo poo.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

What exactly is post-rock, like what are the genre markings of it? I like jazz-fusion, and prog-rock, and noise-rock, and lots of eclectic things in that sphere, so I imagine I've either listened to it before or would at least like it. Are Swans and Television post-rock? I'm gonna google it, but I would also like to hear from actual people about it.

I'm asking because I'm listening to Slint for the first time, and this Spiderlands album loving rips. According to wikipedia this is post-rock, but I don't know what about it specifically makes it so. Is it because it's atmospheric and repetitive? (Also post-rock is a technical thing, right? It's not tied to a specific era in history?)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think the definition is supposed to be something like "using rock instruments to make non-conventional* rock music", but it is definitely mostly meaningless.

It's not really tied to an era. There were glimpses of it in the 80s, but it mostly got into full swing in the 90s.

*Non-conventional as in not following more standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus type song formats. Not necessarily the same as alternative rock, which is really conventional rock with new sounds thrown in the mix.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
There are two different post rocks

There's stuff like Bark Psychosis, Slint, The For Carnation, Tarantel, etc, which is mostly experimental and sort of deconstructing rock

And then there's stuff like GY!BE and Mogwai and all the bands that have followed them who are mostly doing a kind of classical music with rock instruments often backed up by strings

The two sometimes but rarely overlap which is why it's kind of confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Post Rock takes the disparaging elements of Loud, Weird, Twinkly, and Cool and mixes them together.

For a pretty solid decade I think it was fair to say to anybody that post-rock was a genre of melodic, often purely instrumental musical arrangements that intend to create a soundscape outside the scope of traditional rock music. If someone wanted to know what post-rock was, you showed them Explosions in the Sky or Godspeed You! Black Emperor and then probably go from there, usually straight to Caspian.

There have been so many iterations on Post-Rock that the genre distinction fractures off into Post-Metal, Prog-Metal, Post-Doom, Electronic Post-Rock, and some of the more psychedelic and folk metal stuff, like Agaloch.

Slint and that album in particular are great starts into the wide world of sleepy, spooky noise music.