Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

internet celebrity posted:

All Lights hosed On the Hairy Amp Drooling has apparently been ripped and uploaded. The GYBE discord claims it's real and is banning anyone for talking about it. Search for All Lights hosed on youtube and sort by new, it was uploaded early this morning.

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmgDLGpl9ME

Doubt it's real but it's fun to speculate

it's also not very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is this rare or something? I’ve had this for years.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Is this rare or something? I’ve had this for years.

Only 33 copies were ever made, cassette only. Today isn't the first time that it has been "leaked," but seems the most convincing so far. So kinda doubt you've had it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ok well, here’s the proof that these files have been sitting untouched on my computer for over 10 years, and here’s the image of the songs in my iTunes with the scanned cassette jacket album art. Unclear how else I would determine these were the authentic tracks, but I got their discography from Canadian super fans that followed them on tour.

Edit: hmmm but looking at the track lists online these don’t match up at all? Looks like what I have is maybe the mislabeled side project of one of the GSY guitarists? Huh!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 5, 2022

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I feel pretty confident that the new upload is legit now that I've listened to most of it. The two tracks that got posted on reddit in 2013 are present and are clearly new rips with less noise. The voice in several tracks is definitely Efrim. Also the GYBE discord had a very dramatic day that ended in the whole channel getting closed until further notice. The mods there claim to have connections to the band and said it was real. Several people there claimed to have had a rip of the tape for years and kept it within their little inner circle. Makes sense that they'd try as hard as possible keep it private to maintain their clout or whatever. There have been a handful of fakes posted over the years, I can't really see any of this unfolding unless the tape is actually real and the files getting posted publicly stirred a ton of drama within the group. But I guess it still remains to be seen if the band will confirm it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Some random internet article I just found suggested that it’s just Efrim and no one else. It’s barely even GYBE in that sense. It’d be like finding more Quarrymen recordings- an interesting historical artifact but nothing more.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is it, like, any good?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It reminds me more of a crude version of Set Fire to Flames

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

It uh, doesn’t do anything for me, to put it kindly

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Junkenstein posted:

Is it, like, any good?

It's not very good. I agree with most everyone that it's an interesting holy grail discovery but don't go in expecting more Godspeed.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I definitely enjoyed bits of it but it's mostly not good. I am glad it has seen the light of day though, it's still exciting. I wonder if people would still be willing to pay as much money for it now that we know it's not good

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

ha, i remember getting a burnt CD with Moya on it back in high school and being utterly baffled by the fact that I couldn't find the album with that track on it. this solves a puzzle that i had forgotten about for years.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Its interesting to me where you can see them making a ton of the same "mistakes" that EITS make on their first record as well and that they don't do again, or do better, more refined versions of on their later records. One of the coolest things about older bands like Godspeed (or my personal favorite example Modest Mouse) is that you can see evolutions of themes and variations of the same musical identity get recycled over and over. Sometimes you just write such an insane riff in 1989 that you just sneak it into every record for the next 20 years. So in that sense, I really enjoy hearing the tiny distant seedlings of what might one day become East Hastings.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s confirmed real and the band are now selling it on Bandcamp with the proceeds to charity. https://godspeedyoublackemperor.bandcamp.com/album/all-lights-hosed-on-the-hairy-amp-drooling

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m really glad all this happened because it caused me to realize there were literally hours of GY!BE I hadn’t heard before.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Here's a podcast with Efrim talking about it: http://vishkhanna.com/2022/02/14/ep-667-efrim-manuel-menuck/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s confirmed real and the band are now selling it on Bandcamp with the proceeds to charity. https://godspeedyoublackemperor.bandcamp.com/album/all-lights-hosed-on-the-hairy-amp-drooling
Woah :eyepop:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For anyone who has the same brain worms as me, the files in the accompanying YouTube leak posted earlier have each movement as a distinct song, compared to this being a more traditional 4-track release. I prefer having all 32 individual movements separated, but I might toss them $6 because, eh, Godspeed and charity, it’s all vibes

GBonicus
Jul 11, 2001

My name is Sue! How do you do? Now you're gonna die!!
The new Old Solar EP, Quiet Prayers (Redux) premiered on YouTube today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5TZ0XvThNM

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New ASIWAYFA out today. Which I think is a proper album but is also meant to soundtrack a video or something? It's a bit of a departure anyway and also features spoken word bits by Emma Ruth Rundle and him off of Clutch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Junkenstein posted:

New ASIWAYFA out today. Which I think is a proper album but is also meant to soundtrack a video or something? It's a bit of a departure anyway and also features spoken word bits by Emma Ruth Rundle and him off of Clutch.
Listening now. It's fine. Not bad but definitely not my favorite of theirs. I could do without the spoken word bits.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Earlier today I finally picked up the vinyl for As The Love Continues from Mogwai. It just so happens I'm listening to it now while Scotland competes for the gold medal in olympics mens curling. I'm reminded how good this album is. Previously I lamented about how I want to keep a complete Mogwai collection, thinking I needed to get Every Country's Sun on vinyl to go along with my Central Belters box set to do so. But listening to As The Love Continues again makes me realize the stark contrast in the albums. Every Country's Sun isn't bad, there's some tracks on it that I truly love, but also notably a track that didn't make it onto it that I love. Meanwhile, basically every track on As The Love Continues slaps. This is an album that's enjoyable from front to back, and I'm glad I ponied up to get it on vinyl. I can't say the same for Every Country's Sun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I’ll cop to it finally, Mogwai just does absolutely nothing for me at all. Post-rock is arguably the defining musical genre of my life and the most formative sound to my adult identity, I’ve tried a dozen times. Every time I give them a shot I just look up from my desk like 50 minutes later and can’t remember a goddamn thing about a single note that was played. Maybe my brain is just too full of other bands or something but yeah I just don’t vibe with Mogwai whatsoever.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok I’ll cop to it finally, Mogwai just does absolutely nothing for me at all. Post-rock is arguably the defining musical genre of my life and the most formative sound to my adult identity, I’ve tried a dozen times. Every time I give them a shot I just look up from my desk like 50 minutes later and can’t remember a goddamn thing about a single note that was played. Maybe my brain is just too full of other bands or something but yeah I just don’t vibe with Mogwai whatsoever.

I could totally get the albums not vibing. but even the live stuff does nothing for you? I am a shameless fanboi though, and even for me some albums hit harder than others.

Jehde posted:

Previously I lamented about how I want to keep a complete Mogwai collection, thinking I needed to get Every Country's Sun on vinyl to go along with my Central Belters box set to do so.

This is difficult. I still need CODY, YT, and Happy Songs ... plus Ten Rapid to round out the studio stuff. :( That doesn't even include some other satellite soundtrack stuff (I only have Atomic).

I thought I saw a blurb about CODY getting a vinyl re-release. Absolutely into that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched the live show they put on during COVID and I really enjoyed that, but it was also just live music being broadcast directly into my bedroom after 6 months of quarantine, and I was watching along with a couple of you, so it felt more like a show. It’s not like I would ever turn down free tix to a Mogwai show, but I’ve just tried so many times to be like “this is a band everyone just adores, let me get the good poo poo!” and nothing ever hits me the way EITS, GY!BE, or 65DoS does, just nothing on those wavelengths.

I want to stress that I am not saying that they are bad or the music is bad, it’s just exactly different enough from what I like about Post-Rock that I don’t like it and don’t connect to it, and honestly after a few years of trying to figure it out I can’t even tell why!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I feel the same way but about EITS. There’s a handful of songs I dig but the rest is forgettable noise to me. Mogwai on the other hand is probably my most listened to post rock band.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess I’ll sleep better knowing that we are cosmically balancing each other out, and that I get to be on the EITS side of the coin.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I tend to tap out on EITS at All of a Sudden I miss Everyone, but I will rot on the Mogwai discography for days on end without problems.

I'd never turn down a EITS live show. For a band that came out of Texas, they sure as gently caress hate Houston though. If and when they tour, they are fond of skipping us. Glad I got to see them here in super small rooms in the early aughts.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I have Mr. Beast and it's whatever. Travel Is Dangerous is a cool song, it's why I bought it in the first place. It didn't make me a fan of the genre, though.

Hmmm... am I really a fan of the genre if I only like a select few acts from it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Take Care, Take Care, Take Care was absolutely mystifying to me at release and I legit think I didn’t, like, get it right away and thought it was bad, and now I just think it’s a masterpiece. The Earth is not a Cold, Dead Place is their magnum opus though, it really feels like it was recorded at the bottom of the Mariana Trench

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Ofecks posted:

I have Mr. Beast and it's whatever. Travel Is Dangerous is a cool song, it's why I bought it in the first place. It didn't make me a fan of the genre, though.

Hmmm... am I really a fan of the genre if I only like a select few acts from it?

You don’t have love every band in a genre to dig the genre.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Bust Rodd posted:

Take Care, Take Care, Take Care was absolutely mystifying to me at release and I legit think I didn’t, like, get it right away and thought it was bad, and now I just think it’s a masterpiece. The Earth is not a Cold, Dead Place is their magnum opus though, it really feels like it was recorded at the bottom of the Mariana Trench

I saw EITS play at a brewery/venue that held like 100 people tops on the All of A Sudden... tour, and it was phenominal. The venue was small enough that they were hanging around the merch table after the show, and I told Munaf that Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place was one of the most beautiful pieces of music that anyone has ever created, and he seemed genuinely touched (and not just like 'hey thanks man I hear it all the time") :3:

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i saw eits in a small, 300ish person room a few years ago and it was the most boring gig ive ever been to

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Both EitS and Godspeed were fine at best live when I've seen them. Mogwai and Caspian both kicked rear end.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

lazerwolf posted:

I feel the same way but about EITS. There’s a handful of songs I dig but the rest is forgettable noise to me. Mogwai on the other hand is probably my most listened to post rock band.

I'm the same way. I love Mogwai but keep bouncing off Explosions in the Sky no matter how many times I go back to them.

GBonicus
Jul 11, 2001

My name is Sue! How do you do? Now you're gonna die!!
Looks like Endless Dive managed to sneak an album out without me noticing. I’ve never been a huge fan, and kinda felt they were a little generic, but this newest is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx9WYkyoF9M

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Saw GYBE at Meow Wolf in Santa Fe last night. Good show although I wasn't a fan of the opening band. Interesting venue - I've been to Meow Wolf before but didn't know they had concerts. Probably 200 people max and with the tiny stage and all their pedals and effects boards the band was pretty cramped.

https://imgur.com/a/FAVl8oY

Recorded the audio on my phone and it came out surprisingly well. Planning on uploading it tomorrow, if anyone's interested I'll post a link.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I was re-watching silicon valley and just noticed GYBE in the fake "ad" in the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVAfuODEGx4

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
i love Mogwai but none of their albums have done anything for me since Hardcore. My weirdest opinion is that EITS' first album is probably my favourite. The Wilderness was great after the by-the-numbersness of Take Care (which I still liked, and it has lovely vinyl packaging). Also kinda disappointed by Caspian's latest effort which also seemed to fall flat, but they released 4 great albums + 1 great EP to get to this point so they earned it.

Also I'm glad I've never really gotten into Sigur Ros beyond their 2nd because otherwise this venture in NFTs would be an extreme bummer lolllll

https://twitter.com/sigurros/status/1501299098128949248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sigur Ros is fine by me, shine on you crazy diamonds. Watching their musical driving tour of Greenland was one of the best weekends of my life