Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GBonicus
Jul 11, 2001

My name is Sue! How do you do? Now you're gonna die!!
There’s a truly massive compilation that was just released by The Post-Everything Collective with 100% of the profits benefitting Save the Children for Ukraine. There are 60 songs that should give you a real good taste of some of the less mainstream modern post- bands that are out there. It’s pay what you can over $1 and you can get it here: https://thepost-everythingcollective.bandcamp.com/album/the-post-everything-collective-friends-present-ukrainian-relief-compilation

Post-rock isn’t just EITS, GY!BE, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, and Mono anymore, and there’s some really excellent stuff coming out of the smaller labels these days. There’s bound to be something new here you haven’t heard that you’ll also like, and it’s almost free, so give it a shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

GBonicus posted:

There’s a truly massive compilation that was just released by The Post-Everything Collective with 100% of the profits benefitting Save the Children for Ukraine. There are 60 songs that should give you a real good taste of some of the less mainstream modern post- bands that are out there. It’s pay what you can over $1 and you can get it here: https://thepost-everythingcollective.bandcamp.com/album/the-post-everything-collective-friends-present-ukrainian-relief-compilation

Post-rock isn’t just EITS, GY!BE, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, and Mono anymore, and there’s some really excellent stuff coming out of the smaller labels these days. There’s bound to be something new here you haven’t heard that you’ll also like, and it’s almost free, so give it a shot!

…and before those bands it wasn’t that either, which is great. I’m ploughing back into the first Tortoise album and it’s a fine voyage of (re)discovery.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Saw Godspeed on Saturday and they sounded great.

Maybe it was our location, but god drat the projectors they use for the visuals were loud as poo poo haha.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I've got tickets for DC in April and I'm so pumped. Never seen them before either.

GBonicus
Jul 11, 2001

My name is Sue! How do you do? Now you're gonna die!!

Jeherrin posted:

…and before those bands it wasn’t that either, which is great. I’m ploughing back into the first Tortoise album and it’s a fine voyage of (re)discovery.

That’s fair, people tend to not mention Slint, Talk Talk, and the like since it’s such a different “kind” of post-rock that doesn’t necessarily overlap all that much with what a lot of modern bands are doing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe like the 10th or 11th time I ever took LSD I was sitting on the roof of my frat and my Rex was telling us about post rock and I was like “yeah EITS is my favorite band” and he was like “do u leik Slint?” and I’d never heard of them and then he put on one of the records and it legitimately freaked me out how weird and tense it was.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://www.stereogum.com/2180145/holy-fawn-death-is-a-relief/music/

Holy Fawn has a new single, the title track from their upcoming album Death is a Relief.

I just saw them open for Deafheaven in Vancouver and they kicked rear end. All four of them play side by side at the front of the stage - including the drummer - and they all have mics and sing together. Great sound, though the Rickshaw Theatre's sound mix always kind of sucks for some reason. As for Deafheaven, George Clarke's screams still sound great live, but he can NOT carry a tune with his clean vocals on the new songs. He needs a reverb switch on his mic or something.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Thinking about seeing MONO next week, how are they live?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Mono absolutely loving rule live

Bring some earplugs though

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fate Accomplice posted:

Thinking about seeing MONO next week, how are they live?
Soooooooo loving powerful. I can't stress enough how much you should go if you like post-rock/live music at all.

BB2K posted:

Yeah this haha

I have made the mistake of seeing them without earplugs. They get loud.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/hexxenzsene/status/1515350492737523721

Efrim kicks rear end

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I saw them last night at a wonderful theater in central Mass. I'd seen them twice before, once on the first reunion tour back in 2009-ish, which I don't remember very vividly, and then once opening for NIN and it was incredibly disappointing (they basically played a 30-minute set of drone). The show last night exceeded all expectations. The hope drone is such an incredibly badass way to start a performance. I was hoping to hear Moya or BBF3. Instead, they played the Sad Mafioso. Sad Mafioso/East Hastings is a song that I've long stopped listening to. Even though F#A# (Infinity) was my first love, East Hastings is probably the Godspeed track I listen to least. Their performance of it last night made me fall in love with it all over again though. The recorded version of it feels a little "thin", but in performance it had so much heft to it, and it was just gorgeous. Also, my other takeaway is that Sophie Trudeau has amazing endurance. Every other musician got breaks at one point or another, but she was basically playing nonstop the entire show.

Really lovely show, and if I never see them again I'll be so grateful to have gone to this show.

Do they ever play stuff off of Allelujah or Asunder Sweet? When I've perused the setlists I feel like I see them play a track or two from every other album but those two (and I guess they don't seem to play Yanqui UXO).

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They played Mladic at the show I went to a month ago.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i feel like asunder sweet is such a nothing album, i couldnt blame them for not playing it live

allelujah is similar, but it had the luster of being the big return

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BB2K posted:

i feel like asunder sweet is such a nothing album, i couldnt blame them for not playing it live

allelujah is similar, but it had the luster of being the big return

Man, I couldn't feel more different. I'm curious how other people in the thread feel. If I were reviewing their albums they'd each get somewhere between a 95 and 100, so the differences between them are all fairly marginal in my opinion. The four main pieces on those two albums in particular are as good as anything else they've done. In fact, I like Luciferian Towers and Gods Pee less than those two albums (again, only marginally).

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Jewmanji posted:

Man, I couldn't feel more different. I'm curious how other people in the thread feel. If I were reviewing their albums they'd each get somewhere between a 95 and 100, so the differences between them are all fairly marginal in my opinion. The four main pieces on those two albums in particular are as good as anything else they've done. In fact, I like Luciferian Towers and Gods Pee less than those two albums (again, only marginally).

they've blown my mind plenty of times but after this long time I usually just listen two the first track on both

I'd say they're 25% perfect, while gods pee is 45% and towers is 100%

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Asunder is my least favorite but it's still a solid 7/10. Allelujah is somewhere on the low side of the middle of the pack if I were ranking them.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
allelujah is my favourite godspeed album, with at state's end and f#a# pretty close behind. Mladic hits so hard

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Too many nights on a head full of LSD spent in my headphones with Lift your Skinny Fists being the only thing that was keeping me together for anything to even come close, but F# is also a perfect way to spend any amount of time listening to music.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Went and seen Mogwai last night, great show with a great set list. They played in a ballroom and had the amps cranked, it was great. Seeing Stuart rock the heck out to Old Poisons was something special.

• To the Bin My Friend, Tonight We Vacate Earth
  • Friend of the Night
  • Dry Fantasy
  • Ritchie Sacramento
  • Take Me Somewhere Nice
  • How to Be a Werewolf
  • Ex-Cowboy
  • Midnight Flit
  • Hunted by a Freak
  • I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
  • Ceiling Granny
  • Old Poisons

• Drive the Nail
  • Mogwai Fear Satan

E: Also hearing Stuart flex his vocals on Take Me Somewhere Nice was wild.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 20, 2022

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

BB2K posted:

Mono absolutely loving rule live

Rageaholic posted:

Soooooooo loving powerful. I can't stress enough how much you should go if you like post-rock/live music at all.

thanks for the advice, caught them and it was bonkers. not a sellout crowd but people were into it.

I really wish people would stop holding up their phones and recording entire songs, though. a) getting in other peoples' way, b) just enjoy the moment. more artists shouldn't allow phones at shows.

BB2K posted:

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah this haha

I have made the mistake of seeing them without earplugs. They get loud.

every few minutes my watch popped up a giant ear with messages like "you sure, bro? poo poo's loud" and "10 minutes more of this and you'll experience hearing loss," but luckily I had my trusty earplugs in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell yeah, glad you got to go and enjoyed it! :)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

BB2K posted:

Speaking of Spotify, the algo on there recommended me a band called We Lost the Sea after listening to some mono and gybe, and they're pretty solid, but one of the tracks on the album I listened to has a bunch of samples from some audiobook about lucid dreaming or something, and it was just so obviously trying to be godspeed that it turned me off a little. The album was departure songs, apart from that it was a nice little listen, tho fairly derivative of all the big post rock bands.

I love Departure Songs. As a post-rock concept album it hits me in all the right spots. I can get finding faults with it, for sure. Spends a bit too much time in the slow dream state noodling, and it even ends on a sample of Ronald loving Reagan, but it which should make me hate it but it fits with the theme so well.

I sub to Amazon music and it's been making some pretty good post rock recs for me lately. Nothing I've dug into enough to go over discographies, just enjoyed Omnipresence from Across the Moment and Alpha Centauri from We Are Impala. It's nice to have good algo content.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Was watching Under the Banner of Heaven and Godspeed randomly comes on during a scene.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So I guess This Will Destroy You are now called TWDY (Toodee?).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

So I guess This Will Destroy You are now called TWDY (Toodee?).

I met them in 2008 in Austin Texas and saw them play for a crowd of literally me and 3 other people.

I pleaded with them to play "The World is Our ___" and one of them said "Nah, we can't look back."

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

I met them in 2008 in Austin Texas and saw them play for a crowd of literally me and 3 other people.

I pleaded with them to play "The World is Our ___" and one of them said "Nah, we can't look back."

Watching them play The Mighty Rio Grande is on my list of things I wish for that’ll never happen.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Jeherrin posted:

Watching them play The Mighty Rio Grande is on my list of things I wish for that’ll never happen.

they play the mighty Rio Grande pretty regularly, so if they come your way there's a pretty good chance you'll get to see it

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jeherrin posted:

I wasn’t thrilled by their answer considering at the time they’d released a grand total of 14 songs.

“Can’t look back” indeed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got a ticket to see Godspeed in October. This will be I think my 3rd or 4th time seeing them.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who is familiar with GY!BE and has listened to most of their albums at least once, I was unbelievably disappointed in their live show I attended in April. I was expecting the video show behind them to be a lot more interesting and for them to at least exude some kind of energy. Everyone, band & crowd included, just looked extremely bored to be there.

It didn't help that the show was listed at 7 and had no opener mentioned anywhere at all, and at 730 out strolls out some dude who quite literally frantically banged his drum set arrhythmically to some ambient drone backing track for almost a god drat hour. It was impressive to watch I guess but it was a lot like what I imagine watching a metal drummer try and play free jazz by himself would look

Disclaimer: I've been to instrumental metal shows aplenty, but this was my very first post-rock show. Perhaps my expectations were set a bit too high.

I drove 2 hours to Orlando to see them and I left halfway through their 3rd song I was so bored.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kumba posted:

As someone who is familiar with GY!BE and has listened to most of their albums at least once, I was unbelievably disappointed in their live show I attended in April. I was expecting the video show behind them to be a lot more interesting and for them to at least exude some kind of energy. Everyone, band & crowd included, just looked extremely bored to be there.

It didn't help that the show was listed at 7 and had no opener mentioned anywhere at all, and at 730 out strolls out some dude who quite literally frantically banged his drum set arrhythmically to some ambient drone backing track for almost a god drat hour. It was impressive to watch I guess but it was a lot like what I imagine watching a metal drummer try and play free jazz by himself would look

Disclaimer: I've been to instrumental metal shows aplenty, but this was my very first post-rock show. Perhaps my expectations were set a bit too high.

I drove 2 hours to Orlando to see them and I left halfway through their 3rd song I was so bored.
I'm sorry you weren't into it :( From my experience, GY!BE live is more like watching a live score to an art house movie than a rock show. The band members aren't visually energetic in the way that, say, Caspian or Mono are, but there are parts of the music that are energetic as hell. They aren't the band to see if you want to be constantly bobbing your head. I enjoy the experience of seeing them, though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I saw MONO a couple months ago and they fuckin jam OUT, that was a great show. Openers were... meh, but MONO just absolutely slayed. And then they played the two songs I wanted the most for the encores so I was in pure bliss.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

As someone who is familiar with GY!BE and has listened to all of their albums at least once, some of them many more times, I was pleasantly surprised by their live show I attended in March. It was everything I wanted a GY!BE show to be.

The opener was lame, but it was an opening act, which is typically a token for a well known headliner. It did not detract from the main show at all, which was :discourse:

GY!BE definitely isn't a show where you look for the mosh pit or anything like what you would expect from a normal concert. You find a seat to chill in, and enjoy the barrage of music and visuals (the old projector stuff). At least that's what I did.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I love going to shows but I suppose I discovered that night that at least one of my main draws is feeding off of the energy of the band and my fellow attendees, of which there was absolutely zero. I feel like I could have just watched a video of that same set from home and had an identical experience, which I don't think I could reasonably say about a single other show I've ever been to. But that's okay I guess their live stuff just isn't for me! I don't mean to detract from anyone else's enjoyment of it, if that's your thing go hog wild

I'll have to check out MONO or Caspian when they roll around here and see how different a vibe it is :v:

e: also to be fair if there were seats, or they actually played when the show said they were going to play and didn't waste 90 minutes with mr drum solo, i might have had a different story. i didn't really think about treating it more like an orchestral or symphonic performance as opposed to another "normal" kind of show which is definitely my bad

kumba fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 3, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Johnny Truant posted:

I saw MONO a couple months ago and they fuckin jam OUT, that was a great show. Openers were... meh, but MONO just absolutely slayed. And then they played the two songs I wanted the most for the encores so I was in pure bliss.

do they do stuff from palmless prayer/mass murder refrain live?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

kumba posted:

I love going to shows but I suppose I discovered that night that at least one of my main draws is feeding off of the energy of the band and my fellow attendees, of which there was absolutely zero. I feel like I could have just watched a video of that same set from home and had an identical experience, which I don't think I could reasonably say about a single other show I've ever been to. But that's okay I guess their live stuff just isn't for me! I don't mean to detract from anyone else's enjoyment of it, if that's your thing go hog wild

I'll have to check out MONO or Caspian when they roll around here and see how different a vibe it is :v:

e: also to be fair if there were seats, or they actually played when the show said they were going to play and didn't waste 90 minutes with mr drum solo, i might have had a different story. i didn't really think about treating it more like an orchestral or symphonic performance as opposed to another "normal" kind of show which is definitely my bad

That's totally understandable. There are some acts I like to go to more so for the band/crowd than the actual music/show.

But yes, I definitely see GY!BE more as an orchestral/symphonic thing. Sounds like you still got short changed on the show though, sorry to hear that.

Good news though, you can just watch it as a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEkyh6nuQA8

And it's still really good! This video is actually what convinced me that I need to see them play the new album live. It is just the new album, but that is the majority of what you would be getting if you see GY!BE currently.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 3, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve seen Godspeed like 4 times and the way to do it is to just hang out in the crowd with your hood up and just sort of zone out during the opener and drones parts and suddenly you’ll snap out of it during the incredible parts that you really want to experience and it just washes over you. I’ve never gone to a post rock show with friends and for the most part the crowds are just shoegazers and stoner metal wizards in skinny jeans all staring at their feet

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

(Sort of) Surprise Mogwai set followed by Lightning Bolt at 3am in Primavera last night. Immense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Junkenstein posted:

(Sort of) Surprise Mogwai set followed by Lightning Bolt at 3am in Primavera last night. Immense.

Lmao going from extremely loud to also extremely loud. That rocks.