Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh_wesEZtKM

New Russian Circles album coming out in August!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
shamefully posted prog rock in the post-rock thread which are two explicitly different things

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 22, 2022

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Sounds like poo poo!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Mars Volta are like the undisputed champions of “Hit-or-Miss”

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

They're also not post-rock or did I miss something?!?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They’ve got a couple of 9 minute songs that go pretty, weird places, Prog Rock has always been the nerdlinger cousin of the cool post rock potheads

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay I feel somewhat validated by the conversation on that track.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

polynominal-c posted:

They're also not post-rock or did I miss something?!?

im extremely sorry

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 22, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish I could find more post-rock

GY!BE/JESU and drone (SUNN O))) ) rots my soul in the best way possible

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The JESU bassist (I think) had a side project called Iroha that might scratch an itch if you like mid-period JESU.

There is also Windmills By The Ocean who as far as I can see are scandalously underrated because no one seems to know them.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ravena's album is the most gybe/drone thing I've heard in recent years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSg62Zv3-cg

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I gave up trying to find anything else close to GY!BE a long time ago even among the spinoff stuff. It turns out there isn't a high chance of finding semi-anarchist communes with hurdy gurdies and a dude playing running a screwdriver or something across the neck of an electric guitar.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Loving Post-Rock is about wishing your favorite bands had more music and lamenting when other bands imitate popular sounds that you like, while simultaneously downloading their discographies “just to make sure”

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Loving Post-Rock is about wishing your favorite bands had more music and lamenting when other bands imitate popular sounds that you like, while simultaneously downloading their discographies “just to make sure”

Woof. Perfectly put.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

lol drat

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
From today’s Popbitch

>> Backstage stew <<
Got to get the rider right

Godspeed You! Black Emperor are hitting the festival circuit hard this summer, from Atlanta through to California and Austin, culminating in a headline appearance at Barcelona's AMFest.

A word of warning to any organisers: be extra careful with their rider requests. They once sparked an altercation at All Tomorrow's Parties by refusing the food that was brought to their trailer because it was "the wrong sort of lentils".

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pelican just released a reissue / remaster of Australiasia

https://pelican.bandcamp.com/album/australasia

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

thehustler posted:

A word of warning to any organisers: be extra careful with their rider requests. They once sparked an altercation at All Tomorrow's Parties by refusing the food that was brought to their trailer because it was "the wrong sort of lentils".

No brown lentils.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i saw sigur ros last night and it was a hell of a show. the setlist was mostly made up of ( ) and Takk era stuff, with a couple from Agaetis Byrjun, a couple from Med Sud, and one each from Valtari and Kveikur, plus a few new tracks. they're playing again tonight and it's tempting even though it'll probably be the same set again. they played for 2.5 hours so we definitely got our money's worth

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUf9_1jsCyY

:rock:

Album comes out next Friday

strap on revenge posted:

i saw sigur ros last night and it was a hell of a show. the setlist was mostly made up of ( ) and Takk era stuff, with a couple from Agaetis Byrjun, a couple from Med Sud, and one each from Valtari and Kveikur, plus a few new tracks. they're playing again tonight and it's tempting even though it'll probably be the same set again. they played for 2.5 hours so we definitely got our money's worth
Hell yes, glad you had a good experience! I've seen them a few times and they've been excellent every time. Untitled 8 is one of the most powerful songs I've ever heard live.

I ordered a Takk shirt from their site like 3 months ago and still haven't gotten it :( They've sent me a few updates saying when it should be shipping but it still hasn't yet.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Can't wait. Saw them play some of the new stuff live recently and it was heavy as gently caress.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pelican just released a reissue / remaster of Australiasia

https://pelican.bandcamp.com/album/australasia

This is probably one of my favourite albums, does the remaster sound any different?

Ive already got it on vinyl, but it's the second pressing where they changed the art to green / purple - still awesome but not the original

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Off to ArcTangent this week. Seeing MØL, Maybeshewill, Caspian, MONO, and Alcest.

Absolutely loving hyped.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Every year I am too busy doing bits and pieces at the Edinburgh Fringe and miss it :-(

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Apparently Jakob is playing a rare headlining show in Wellington, NZ in November. Some of the setlist will be new stuff from a forthcoming 2023 album. I won't be able to attend since I'm on the other side of the planet. But the article I read mentioned A) guitar and drums players have a side-project that's a Radiohead tribute and will be playing the night before Jakob goes on, and B) bass player has a side-project called Desbot that sounds pretty cool: it's bass/keys/drums only and they have a new LP coming out in October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Lh1rdRBWc

I'm listening to their older stuff now (EPs from 2020 and 2009[?!]) and it's interesting. I thought at first I'd be turned off at the lack of real guitars, but it's not as noticeable as I expected.

e: the 2009 EP is nothing but dronal ambience, not really a fan. The bass sounds cool, but the recent stuff is more my thing.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 17, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

This is probably one of my favourite albums, does the remaster sound any different?

Ive already got it on vinyl, but it's the second pressing where they changed the art to green / purple - still awesome but not the original

Not sure yet, but does have some bonus stuff

"Vinyl purchases include exclusive bonus remastered tracks, including a remix of Angel Tears by James Plotkin, and live recordings from the era of Australasia's recording, one of which is a never-before released piece."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Russian Circles is out now and absolutely owns

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

i really like this

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
Russian Circles album is out, it slaps

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’ve been blasting “Conduit” in my car and headphones a bunch this album is great

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I’ve been blasting “Conduit” in my car and headphones a bunch this album is great

That song rips live. Very happy with how pissed off and heavy this record sounds.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
ArcTangent trip report: Alcest: incredible. Maybeshewill: good, but not great. Caspian: phenomenal. The energy of those guys was insane. Played stuff from the new record as well as bits from hymn for the greatest generation and dust and disquiet. A burst of Quovis during the sound check.

MONO was loving MONO. No words. Just volume. Sound that just tore through you. I love them. Kind of unbelievably there were people in front of me without earplugs. No idea how they tolerated it, and honestly that’s just dumb AF.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Jeherrin posted:

ArcTangent trip report: Alcest: incredible. Maybeshewill: good, but not great. Caspian: phenomenal. The energy of those guys was insane. Played stuff from the new record as well as bits from hymn for the greatest generation and dust and disquiet. A burst of Quovis during the sound check.

MONO was loving MONO. No words. Just volume. Sound that just tore through you. I love them. Kind of unbelievably there were people in front of me without earplugs. No idea how they tolerated it, and honestly that’s just dumb AF.

don't skip TWDY, you didn't mention them in your last post :kiddo:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

don't skip TWDY, you didn't mention them in your last post :kiddo:

I wish. Sadly I can’t make the Saturday (no Godlfesh either…).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Jeherrin posted:

Caspian: phenomenal. The energy of those guys was insane. Played stuff from the new record as well as bits from hymn for the greatest generation and dust and disquiet. A burst of Quovis during the sound check.

Do they still end with Sycamore (and the drum circle) ?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Do they still end with Sycamore (and the drum circle) ?

Nah. This time was Castles High, Marble Bright.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Holy Fawn's new one is out on Spotify and Bandcamp. I'm digging it.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Was concerned that last night's GSY!BE gig was going to be slightly muted/low on people turning up because of the funeral and general disruption.

Absolutely wrong. Place was packed, gig was amazing. They felt absolutely on top of their game, I'm still totally buzzing about it 12 hours later.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Something tells me most GYBE fans aren’t big monarchists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Something tells me most GYBE fans aren’t big monarchists

But ‘emperor’ is right there in the name