Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

ddonahue99 posted:

I love GYBE but I rarely listen to F#A#. I think it's a brilliant album, but for I guess I don't listen to it as much because it has a lot more ambient parts and samples than the others. You really, really need to give them a chance. It took me a long time to finally listen to and appreciate Lift Your Skinny Fists..., but goddamn, I wish I had sooner. I don't think you can be a fan of post-rock and not like them, since most post-rock bands are derivative of what they did, and nobody who tries to emulate them surpasses them.

Listen to Yanqui U.X.O., then the Slow Riot EP, then Skinny Fists, and by then you will come to appreciate F#A#.

There is no better epic driving music than Yanqui U.X.O.

Some of their live tracks makes their album work absolutely pale in comparison. Albanian and Blaise Bailey pt. 2 in particular. If you want energy, look for their live tracks. I believe they were on Archive.org at some point.

I don't necessarily agree with your album order, either. It seems as though you're preparing the listener to be able to tolerate the samples when they could simply listen to the albums/tracks without it. People don't have to enjoy all of their discography. All of their work isn't for everyone. I of course realize all of this is subjective but I don't think Godspeed should be some rite of passage where every listener must listen to each album and subsequently enjoy it. There are too many works now to have people wait and re-listen to albums trying to find some hidden magic that they might as well pretend to understand.

And about F#A#∞, I believe that listeners must listen to this on vinyl if they are to truly appreciate the work. I hope i'm not coming off as a vinyl snob, but the concept of the album itself is for it to repeat those two notes at the end of the record for as long as the record spins. I think without knowing the story behind the album with the train tracks by the studio and the flattened penny, one can not truly appreciate it for what it is.

Hope I didn't piss anyone off, it is just music after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Hollis Brown posted:

Some of their live tracks makes their album work absolutely pale in comparison. Albanian and Blaise Bailey pt. 2 in particular. If you want energy, look for their live tracks. I believe they were on Archive.org at some point.

Adding in Manufactured Loops performed 1997-05-10: Can-Zine Festival, Symptom Hall, Toronto, ON, Canada, Hung Over As The Queen in Maida Vale from the John Peel Sessions, the version of Albanian performed 2003-03-27: Live at Palais Royale, Toronto, ON, Canada.

And of course, in my opinion, the finest live GY!BE song is the 27 minute version of Do You Know How To Waltz? performed 1998-10-10: Shuba's, Chicago played with Low.

Amazing song.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Hollis Brown posted:

And about F#A#∞, I believe that listeners must listen to this on vinyl if they are to truly appreciate the work. I hope i'm not coming off as a vinyl snob, but the concept of the album itself is for it to repeat those two notes at the end of the record for as long as the record spins. I think without knowing the story behind the album with the train tracks by the studio and the flattened penny, one can not truly appreciate it for what it is.

I tried to search for the story with the train tracks but didn't find anything besides what you said.

As for this album, I like it very much, but to me it's far less consistent and wanders around aimlessly much more than their later stuff.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

SteelWav posted:

I tried to search for the story with the train tracks but didn't find anything besides what you said.

As for this album, I like it very much, but to me it's far less consistent and wanders around aimlessly much more than their later stuff.
The train picture on the cover of the album is one of three different pictures taken by the members of the band. F#A# is their first recording as a large band and it was recorded at Hotel2Tango. The penny was flattened by the tracks that run nearby. The thing I love about the record was all of the extra effort put into the package by the actual members, like Efrim's drawing of "faulty schematics for ruined machine". I think it gives the album a very personal presentation which works very well if one considers that it was their first record and the inconsistency is a result of the fact that they are (to my knowledge) creating an entirely new sound. Perhaps I am giving them too much credit, so if anyone knows of any records like F#A# before 1995 let me know.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

Baldr posted:

Can anyone comment on the quality of Mono's "The Sky Remains the Same as Ever" DVD? I was thinking of purchasing it.
I will say that I was disappointed in the audio quality, seeing as most (probably all) of the live footage just utilizes the camera mic. They drive themselves around in a van on tour though, so that's not really a surprise. I mean the audio isn't horrible, but when they're at their heaviest/loudest, it does become kinda muddled. Which isn't much unlike actually seeing them live... your ears can only handle so much.

Is it as good as seeing them live? Hell loving no. But if that isn't going to happen, then I guess this DVD will suffice.

Worst case scenario: You buy it and hate it, but at least the $15 you paid will go towards their "hiring a driver" fund. That might be tax deductible, too.

zero democracy
Oct 9, 2002

in extremis
I get a real kick out of listening to Mogwai while I do regular things like grocery shopping or folding laundry as it adds a necessary, slow building emotional catharsis to the processes that were previously missing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

øptimysticism posted:

I will say that I was disappointed in the audio quality, seeing as most (probably all) of the live footage just utilizes the camera mic. They drive themselves around in a van on tour though, so that's not really a surprise. I mean the audio isn't horrible, but when they're at their heaviest/loudest, it does become kinda muddled. Which isn't much unlike actually seeing them live... your ears can only handle so much.

The fact that any DVD put out by Mono doesn't have amazing audio quality is discouraging to me as a taper considering they have a rather large following of tapers who go to their shows and record them. There's no reason why this DVD shouldn't have amazing audio sources for the video.

More bands need to connect with their taping communities that they themselves sanction when they agree to be listed on archive.org.

And to contribute another instrumental/post-rock band that I'm into lately: Bronze Fawn. I only know about these guys because my friend works with the drummer. He invited me to see them open for Battles recently and now I'm a fan. They use this really nice keyboard tone that is really crisp yet "vintage sounding". I guess it sort of sounds like a Rhodes.

You can check out all of their music and whatnots at their site http://bronzefawn.com/. The title track from Lumber has the sweetest breakdown in the middle that makes the buildup melody pay off that much more.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah, jokes aside, I was surprised that they didn't do everything they could to capture and preserve the one thing that represents them most: their music. But maybe they did, who knows. And having a large contingent of tapers doesn't necessarily mean that said tapers could loan out tons of cab and drum mics for use on a whole tour for a recording that the band is going to sell.

I actually got a recording of one of their shows first before any of their albums and during the quiet intro into "The Flames Beyond..." someone drops a glass. It scares the poo poo outta me everytime. And yeah, the audio quality was better on that than the DVD, heh.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Two albums I feel to be worth mentioning:

Gregor Samsa's 55:12

The album is characterized by a soft, meloncholy sound and the beautiful layering of male and female vocals. I didn't like it at first, but that was because I was listening to it at low volumes. There's a lot of little details and touches that make this album really shine, and you have to play it at a decent volume to really get the full effect. They did a split with Red Sparrowes, who were mentioned previously in this thread.

Laura's Mapping Your Dreams

Nothing too special going on here. They're really like EITS with a more raw, focused sound. It doesn't do anything new, but it's a solid album with no real weak spots.

I would also like to second the notion that Agalloch are completely bad-rear end and should be given a shot by everyone.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!

øptimysticism posted:

Is it as good as seeing them live? Hell loving no. But if that isn't going to happen, then I guess this DVD will suffice.

Worst case scenario: You buy it and hate it, but at least the $15 you paid will go towards their "hiring a driver" fund. That might be tax deductible, too.

I have actually never listened to Mono (maybe for five minutes, that is), but is this DVD a good introduction to them? I love music documentaries.

Also, why the hell does Mono have a live DVD and not some band like EitS? I guess
Bucket Joneses made an (awesome, one of my favorite concert videos) DVD of them, but I would love to see a documentary on EitS.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

windwaker posted:

Also, why the hell does Mono have a live DVD and not some band like EitS?

It's probably because Mono are awesome. They've been active for about the same amount of time, have similar amounts of fans, and Mono even have more releases than EitS. It's probably just something EitS never felt the need to do.

aoxomoxoa
Feb 10, 2005

Nav Omicron posted:

And of course, in my opinion, the finest live GY!BE song is the 27 minute version of Do You Know How To Waltz? performed 1998-10-10: Shuba's, Chicago played with Low.

Amazing song.
Where can this be downloaded (legally)? I can't seem to find it anywhere, not even on archive.org, which has tons of GY!BE shows. I'd really love to hear it.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

windwaker posted:

I have actually never listened to Mono (maybe for five minutes, that is), but is this DVD a good introduction to them? I love music documentaries.

Also, why the hell does Mono have a live DVD and not some band like EitS? I guess
Bucket Joneses made an (awesome, one of my favorite concert videos) DVD of them, but I would love to see a documentary on EitS.
It's not really a documentary, it's probably 75-80% live concert footage, with some backstage/tour monotony shots, and the odd long driving scene with studio tracks playing over it... thing. I think getting a few albums (personal recommendations: You Are There -or- One Step More and You Die) would be a better introduction than the DVD, due to the fact that the less-than-stellar audio might put some people off; it does kinda do the music a (small) disservice, I think. Still a good DVD by a loving awesome band though, but just some thoughts...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

aoxomoxoa posted:

Where can this be downloaded (legally)? I can't seem to find it anywhere, not even on archive.org, which has tons of GY!BE shows. I'd really love to hear it.

Seconding this request.

Incidentally, I have a folder called GY!BE live which is made up of songs from archive.org

Basically what I did was go through each GY!BE song and download various versions from every gig on there, and find the best version of each, based on various criteria. Minimum audience noise, maximum volume, number of instruments able to be picked out when you listen, etc etc.

Then I just encoded the FLACs to -V0 and bunged them on the old iPod for my journeys to work.

It's a really awesome collection, I suggest you all get some live tracks. Sometimes they're different from the CDs, sometimes they're better :)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

øptimysticism posted:

And having a large contingent of tapers doesn't necessarily mean that said tapers could loan out tons of cab and drum mics for use on a whole tour for a recording that the band is going to sell.

That's not how taping shows works. Think about it this way: when I saw Mono with World's End Girlfriend and Kinski this year, I recorded the show from the rear of the room using a pair of AKG C1000S microphones that don't cost more than 300 dollars new. The rest of my equipment probably cost about 1000 dollars total.

Here's a sample of the recording: http://www.iamserio.us/shows/mono2007-04-25sample.mp3

After the show they could have gotten my information and I would have mailed them a copy that week. Try as I might, though, no one at the show could be found who would take my information.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah, I know, but I would think a room recording isn't as good as a soundboard (direct cab micing) or whatever bands do when they record a live album. Sure, Mono could have gotten recordings from tapers, but as far as quality goes, it isn't the best. I'm not arguing it wouldn't have been better than what they did on the DVD though, because as the camera is walking around on stage during the songs, whatever instrument the camera is pointing at practically enjoys a solo performance because of how directional the mic is.

Yeah, that's actually the show I got, heh. Thanks for the recording!

Also, it's weird that you couldn't find anybody from the band. At their Chicago show, the bassist was the one selling merch before and after the show...

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

windwaker posted:

I have actually never listened to Mono (maybe for five minutes, that is)

How can you judge a band, especially one that does long instrumental stuff, after having listened to them for "maybe five minutes?" Mono is a great band, you should give them a legitimate chance before diving into a concert dvd aimed at fans.

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 6, 2007

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

aoxomoxoa posted:

It was a Low show, Godspeed was their tourmates at the time. I looked over Archive.org and didn't see it.

Pointing to it appears to be a rule violation. Godspeed's policy on trading live recordings is well known, but I don't know anything about Low.

It's still out there though, I found a copy with a lot of Google digging.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

øptimysticism posted:

Yeah, I know, but I would think a room recording isn't as good as a soundboard (direct cab micing) or whatever bands do when they record a live album.

This is not how live albums are made.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

So most live albums just mic the room only, not the PA or the instruments or anything?

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

citizenlowell posted:

How can you judge a band, especially one that does long instrumental stuff, after having listened to them for "maybe five minutes?" Mono is a great band, you should give them a legitimate chance before diving into a concert dvd aimed at fans.

I wasn't judging them, hence why I was asking for recommendations as for whether watching the DVD would be a good introduction to them (I thought the documentary was actually a documentary and that it wasn't just completely live footage).

I'll check out You Are There.

edit:

øptimysticism posted:

So most live albums just mic the room only, not the PA or the instruments or anything?

I'm no taper, but I've heard that it's better to mic the whole room unless you're focusing on getting a good recording for a live album (I've heard some straight from the board stuff that was mixed poorly because mixing for a whole room and mixing for a recording can be really different).

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 7, 2007

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004
Has anyone heard of If That Is What Is Being Thought, Liberated Sound Talks The Depth Of "Musical" World. by te'?

They're a pretty rocking post-rock band from Japan. They have a different sound from mono though, in case you're wondering. It's more of a God is an Astronaut meets Mogwai meets Slint kinda sound.

A review from smother.net:

quote:

A shoegazing instrumental band that has more pop hooks than say Explosions In the Sky but is just as much a complex firebrand. Raw emotions leak out of each song as if it’s an opus praising the gods. Japanese instrumental rockers Te have more in common with the likes of Slint than you’d think with their drifting guitar overtures and massive percussion sound. Find a way to grab a hold of this band, you won’t regret it.

here is their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/tejapanese

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
Explosions in the Sky just put up some more tour dates in the US. None in the Oregon/Washington, though. :smith:

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.

Hydrac7 posted:

Speaking of Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada, I've been toying with the idea of getting the Hebrew phrase on the album cover tattooed on me somewhere.

Cover for reference:

Opinions?

I'm getting it on my left arm to compliment my Kansas tattoo on my right arm. I thought the passage about it being "waste and void" worked nicely with Kansas. Appologies if this ruins your desire to get it...

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Beleg posted:

Has anyone heard of If That Is What Is Being Thought, Liberated Sound Talks The Depth Of "Musical" World. by te'?

They're a pretty rocking post-rock band from Japan. They have a different sound from mono though, in case you're wondering. It's more of a God is an Astronaut meets Mogwai meets Slint kinda sound.

Té are one of my favourite bands, I've got all their albums/EPs and their live DVD, which is well worth getting if you're into their music. Kotoba... and Sore wa... are my favourite releases, just because they're a lot more consistent than the first album, but also have more variety. Some of their videos are also up on youtube, most linked to each other in the related videos box:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q7cbA5xxq5w

Juice Box
Nov 15, 2006

Henry Hippomouth posted:

Explosions in the Sky just put up some more tour dates in the US. None in the Oregon/Washington, though. :smith:

!!!! So excited, they are easily one of the best shows I've ever seen and I cannot wait for them to come to Chicago in April!!!

Tickets were only $13 too!!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
UK Folk:

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/explosions/

I will be going. Who else will be going?

Check out the lineup! It's awesome and it's nowhere NEAR complete.

Some non-post rock bands on there too who I'm really looking forward to, namely Trail of Dead.

Stegosnorus
Jan 6, 2005

I just got my Ghastly City Sleep LP in the mail. I was sort of skeptical about this band at first. If you don't know, it's a band with some ex-members of City of Caterpillar playing Sigur-Ros influenced music. The first track, "Ice Creaks" features Mia from Kayo Dot's violin stylings. They'd been hyped up a ton...even in a GBS thread. Don't expect any of the heavy-hitting clang of the CoC record, but if calmness is your thing, definitely check it out.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

thehustler posted:

UK Folk:

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/explosions/

I will be going. Who else will be going?

Check out the lineup! It's awesome and it's nowhere NEAR complete.

Some non-post rock bands on there too who I'm really looking forward to, namely Trail of Dead.

Yeah, I've always wanted to go to an ATP, just because they look like a lot of fun, no matter who's playing, but the EITS line-up looks amazing, so I have to go this year.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Considering I didn't start listening to post-rock until I saw Friday Night Lights I'm afraid of being that guy you know the one who goes into a 'Lets talk about Rock'n Roll' thread and says 'Ever heard of the Rolling Stones?' I just don't know what is popular or already so well-known it doesn't bear mentioning.

Anyways I really have been digging what I've been finding. Mogwai, GYBE and obviously EITS. I didn't really get into Set Fire to Flames.

Lately I've been finding newer bands on emusic.com and right now my favorite three are the following and since I haven't seen them mentioned in this thread I'll throw them out there.

God Is an Astronaut
Definitely not an EITS rip-off to me, there's a bit more of a New Age music sound going here, others may disagree.

My two favorite songs by them are off of "All is Violent, All is Bright."

Forever Lost - imeem.com excerpt.

Fragile - youtube video.

Bury the Sound

Highly recommend giving "Gemini Unbound" a listen off of their myspace page linked above.

Like basically every postrock song I like it starts of slow and builds to a really nice crescendo. If I had to compare it to something else I've heard I'd say the really early EITS stuff which to me always sounded more like regular old indie/emo sans vocals.

2 by Bukowski

Haven't heard as much by them since I ran out of this month's downloads at emusic.com after one song. Really like them so far but having trouble finding a link for a listen. Their song "I am Ready for Death in this Dominion.mp3" really works for me though, adds a nice almost gothy twinge to the postrock recipe.

Octavio
Nov 16, 2007

He doesn't even want the pancake, Little Blue Couch. ~~!!!

Juice Box posted:

!!!! So excited, they are easily one of the best shows I've ever seen and I cannot wait for them to come to Chicago in April!!!

:argh: They're playing in Melbourne too, but I can't go 'cause I'm under 18!!! gently caress!!! They're the one band I love and want to see live and now when the opportunity is here I can't grab it by the balls!

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.
1 Mile North

They have released two albums, Glass Wars and Minor Shadows. I prefer Glass Wars but the latter is just as fantastic. I guess I could describe them as July Skies meets Yellow6 with a pinch of older Aarktica. It's a shame they never finished their third album, I was really looking forward to it.

You can get 2 songs here.

Some more samples here.

The track "In 1983 He Loved To Fly" is easily one of my absolute favorite songs by any artist.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

fnordcircle posted:

God Is an Astronaut
Definitely not an EITS rip-off to me, there's a bit more of a New Age music sound going here, others may disagree.

They pull off the "boring" part better (or worse?) than EITS, but they do kinda have a new age sound.

Lately, I can't get enough of Rachel's. They play classical influenced post-rock although there isn't a lot of rock to it. Instead, it's a whole lot of strings, piano, and a little bit of percussion. I recommend Music for Egon Schiele. Here's a fan made myspace: http://www.myspace.com/rachelshandwriting

Pizza Party
Dec 18, 2007

Juice Box posted:

I got tickets to see them at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco not long ago. I can't wait! Too bad it's not until March though, and the tickets were $17 instead of $13!

Anyway, my friends are in a Post-Rock band that I like called Arpse Tarvis. They aren't that original or anything, but they were great last time I saw them live. There are only two songs up on their myspace though, and one of them is just a sample.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Henry Hippomouth posted:

Noooo, I missed them when they played at the Wonder Ballroom. :( Thankfully Joneses taped that one though.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
Has anyone seen the artwork for the new This Will Destroy You album?

The CD is pretty standard fare (sorry it's not bigger):

But the LP...

loving yes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh sweet Jesus. When is that coming out? I can't loving wait now.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
Sometime next early year. There's either no exact date set or I simply can't find it, but the pre-order notices say that the CD won't ship for "at least 4 weeks" and the LP is at least 8.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Are you being facetious? It looks like the cover of some lovely metal album. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

windwaker posted:

Are you being facetious? It looks like the cover of some lovely metal album. :(

Seriously. That cover is loving tacky. It looks like one of those cheap polar-fleece blankets they sell at those stands in the mall around Christmas. Right next to the Pepperidge Farm gift baskets and beer-can cars.

At least the CD cover is suitable for a post-rock album, even if it is kind of boring.