Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

windwaker posted:

Are you being facetious? It looks like the cover of some lovely metal album. :(

It has the potential to be either really lovely or really awesome depending on how you look at it, yeah, but when it's in the context of This Will Destroy You, I see it as really awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

windwaker posted:

No way dude, it's loving awesome because it's not a lovely metal band.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I'm glad I found this thread. I started listening to GYBE a few months ago and was surprised by how much I liked them, and have been getting into post-rock big since then.

That album cover looks like one of those lovely wolf shirts though, but I suspect that might be kind of what they were going for.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm glad I found this thread. I started listening to GYBE a few months ago and was surprised by how much I liked them, and have been getting into post-rock big since then.

That album cover looks like one of those lovely wolf shirts though, but I suspect that might be kind of what they were going for.

I am so getting a shirt like that with the pre-order :cool:

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

HamsterHuey posted:

Has anyone seen the artwork for the new This Will Destroy You album?

loving yes.

windwaker posted:

How can you not see the tongue and cheek nature of that LP cover? How is that possible? I want you to explain it to me - seriously.

windwaker posted:

The only post-rock I really listen to is EitS, El Ten Eleven, and some TWDY. I tried listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯A♯∞ (that's pasted from wikipedia), and I really didn't enjoy the random sound effects and places where there's no music. Is any of their other stuff better?

windwaker posted:

I have actually never listened to Mono (maybe for five minutes, that is), but is this DVD a good introduction to them? I love music documentaries.

I mean seriously...why are you here?

Aside from that - I am still rocking out on Alcest and I think you should too http://www.myspace.com/alcestmusic - the EP is out now.

If you are in the Boston area - Constants, Caspian and Seneca are playing the Mid. East upstairs on the 30th. Should be stellar as always.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Aside from that - I am still rocking out on Alcest and I think you should too http://www.myspace.com/alcestmusic - the EP is out now.

Souvenirs d'un autre monde is my record of the year but, is the older stuff worth a listen? I recall hearing its very different.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!

Big Wreck posted:

I mean seriously...why are you here?

Sorry, I haven't listened to Mono and didn't enjoy F#A#; I know that might be hard for you to understand but not everyone is a carbon copy of you. :(

I can see how that could be seen as tongue in cheek (you could say that about any non metal band that uses that as their album cover), but they haven't really done anything satirical in the past so there's really nothing that blatantly indicates that. I thought it was just tacky like Bliggers- said. Please stop trying to create a post-rock thread circle jerk and get out if you have nothing to contribute. :rolleyes:

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

windwaker posted:

stuff

Did you spell Cobain wrong on purpose in your custom title?

And yes, it is blatantly obvious that the TWDY album cover is so over the top tacky that it is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If you still don't see it, well, you must hate fun. I don't really like the band, but it is a fine cover.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

ddonahue99 posted:

Did you spell Cobain wrong on purpose in your custom title?

And yes, it is blatantly obvious that the TWDY album cover is so over the top tacky that it is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If you still don't see it, well, you must hate fun. I don't really like the band, but it is a fine cover.

Yeah, I suppose I was just thrown off by people going gently caress YEAH THIS COVER IS THE BEST because that doesn't seem like the reaction one would typically give to a satirical album cover. It doesn't matter though, TWDY is great and I'll end up loving the album even if the album cover even if it's this.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~

windwaker posted:

Yeah, I suppose I was just thrown off by people going gently caress YEAH THIS COVER IS THE BEST because that doesn't seem like the reaction one would typically give to a satirical album cover. It doesn't matter though, TWDY is great and I'll end up loving the album even if the album cover even if it's this.

What a dull, humourless life you must lead.

citizenlowell posted:

Souvenirs d'un autre monde is my record of the year but, is the older stuff worth a listen? I recall hearing its very different.

Alcest's older stuff is definitely more toward straight-up black metal. I have Le Secret and while you can kind of hear the sound that eventually fully arose on Souvenirs, there isn't a whole lot of similarity aside from the soft vocals on the first track.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

HamsterHuey posted:

Alcest's older stuff is definitely more toward straight-up black metal. I have Le Secret and while you can kind of hear the sound that eventually fully arose on Souvenirs, there isn't a whole lot of similarity aside from the soft vocals on the first track.

I'll probably skip it then since I've never gotten into that genre of metal and also because Niege claimed he never listened to any shoegazey or post-rock bands before Souvenirs - which I find laughable but hey, he's a free spirit.

windwaker posted:

Please stop trying to create a post-rock thread circle jerk and get out if you have nothing to contribute. :rolleyes:

What do you contribute ever? I rarely post in this thread or in NMD and I can see that you really have no interest in this music and that every one of your posts is useless. Seriously, you are fake. If you want to post around and have friends here that's cool and I'm sorry if I am coming off as a huge dick especially since I'm not a staple poster in NMD but you contribute nothing anywhere ever. You are a locust just feeding off other people's interests.

edit:
I also forgot but http://www.myspace.com/theINFORMATI theInformati (horrible name I know) are playing at the Middle East upstairs tonight (the 23rd). If you're bored around the holidays like me it's something to do.

Big Wreck fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 24, 2007

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Big Wreck posted:

What do you contribute ever? I rarely post in this thread or in NMD and I can see that you really have no interest in this music and that every one of your posts is useless. Seriously, you are fake.

While I may have not caught the tongue-in-cheek "we're not a metal band" TWDY album cover joke (or thought it was very clever afterwards), if you think I or anyone else would post in a music discussion forum when they don't actually listen to music, you can get the gently caress out because you're just deliberately making GBS threads up this thread or a moron.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."

windwaker posted:

While I may have not caught the tongue-in-cheek "we're not a metal band" TWDY album cover joke (or thought it was very clever afterwards), if you think I or anyone else would post in a music discussion forum when they don't actually listen to music, you can get the gently caress out because you're just deliberately making GBS threads up this thread or a moron.

jesus christ get the gently caress out and stop making GBS threads up this thread

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

fnordcircle posted:

God Is an Astronaut
Definitely not an EITS rip-off to me, there's a bit more of a New Age music sound going here, others may disagree.

drat, thanks for this. I'd been working my way through the recommendations in this thread and I checked out The End of the Beginning. Remembrance is seriously one of the best instrumental rock songs I've ever heard I think. Too bad they don't seem to be coming to the US in 2008 (or Washington/Oregon for that matter, I don't think EitS will even do that anymore). :(

They definitely remind me of the EitS faction of post-rock though, and maybe that's why I enjoy listening to them (Spiderland never struck me as very interesting).

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~

Big Wreck posted:

I'll probably skip it then since I've never gotten into that genre of metal and also because Niege claimed he never listened to any shoegazey or post-rock bands before Souvenirs - which I find laughable but hey, he's a free spirit.

I'd still say it's worth a listen. I'm not into black metal at all but I still enjoy it well enough. There's a good bit of acoustic guitar on it and there's no screaming until the second track, and even then it's fairly subdued. Just don't expect anything much like Souvenirs, that's all.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
The Silent Ballet just released it's list of the top 50 instrumental/post-rock/etc albums of 2007. There's a lot of material to digest but, it's a good read and I'm sure I'll find a few interesting things going through it.

Grails took the #1 spot and Caspian made #2 with Four Trees. Nice to see Caspian get some credit, considering how great the band is and awesome their live show is.

Notably absent from the list is EitS' All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone. I guess EitS is too popular to be cool? The Birth and Death of Day made the site's top tracks list, with an odd jab at the record in its summary.

quote:

22. Explosions in the Sky -The Birth and Death of Day
Four years ago, it would have been inconceivable to think that Explosions in the Sky’s next album would not even make the top 50 instrumental releases of the year. But here we stand, with an EitS-less list. That their still-pretty-drat-good All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone could be absent speaks volumes about how far the genre has progressed, and how far they have not. Still, they do have moments of greatness remaining, if this track is to be believed. With a raw authenticity and ferocity which was sorely missed on the rest of the new LP, “The Birth and Death of the Day” shows that this poster-child of post-rock may have some life in it yet. One thing’s for sure: if the whole album had been this good, they’d be sitting pretty. (Tom Butcher)

http://www.thesilentballet.com/tsbt/2007/50_41.html

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
There will be a new album from A Silver Mt. Zion this next year. It will be called "13 Blues For Thirteen Moons." Here is the link to the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718635

Let's all go see them in concert a thousand times more.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

HamsterHuey posted:

Sometime next early year. There's either no exact date set or I simply can't find it, but the pre-order notices say that the CD won't ship for "at least 4 weeks" and the LP is at least 8.

The TWDY album has leaked and it sounds pretty good. They've moved away from the EITS sound game but it's not a complete departure from what they were. While the first song has significant electronic elements I've noticed that as the album progresses the album as a whole gets mellower and the glitchy drums are replaced by an acoustic set until midway through "They move on tracks of never-ending light".. It also seems like they might actually be using a bow for some of the longer reverb swells.

The song "The Mighty Rio Grande" reminds me way too much of Caspian though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Wreck posted:

The TWDY album has leaked and it sounds pretty good. They've moved away from the EITS sound game but it's not a complete departure from what they were. While the first song has significant electronic elements I've noticed that as the album progresses the album as a whole gets mellower and the glitchy drums are replaced by an acoustic set until midway through "They move on tracks of never-ending light".. It also seems like they might actually be using a bow for some of the longer reverb swells.

The song "The Mighty Rio Grande" reminds me way too much of Caspian though.

I love The Mighty Rio Grande. It sounds like a song that would be played in a movie when someone's lost in the woods or something. It's just so epic.

Threads is amazing, too. I can't stop listening to it.

Really, every song on this album is great. I find it to be a much stronger effort than Young Mountain.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Really, every song on this album is great. I find it to be a much stronger effort than Young Mountain.

I think overall the s/t is way better, but in my opinion The World is Our _____ is by far their best song. Maybe that's just because I've heard it more.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

windwaker posted:

I think overall the s/t is way better, but in my opinion The World is Our _____ is by far their best song. Maybe that's just because I've heard it more.

That is a good track, but I Believe In Your Victory is still my favorite from the EP.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I love The Mighty Rio Grande. It sounds like a song that would be played in a movie when someone's lost in the woods or something. It's just so epic.

Despite its epic nature, there's a point to be made. The slow part in the middle sounds like an outtake of Caspian's Last Rites from You are the Conductor; especially around 7:10 into it.

I still think the record as a whole is good, it just has a few moments where it feels like the day the band was writing they had been listening to too much of someone else's material. But mostly it feels different enough to stand on its own. It's solid.

edit: spelling is for chumps

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 24, 2007

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
UK Post/Prog Rockers Oceansize have put up a free MP3 for Christmas.

You will like it. It is a prog cover of Walking In The Air by Aled Jones. And it's loving ace.

http://www.oceansize.co.uk/Resources/Walking%20In%20The%20Air.mp3

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004

Lord of Sword posted:

Té are one of my favourite bands, I've got all their albums/EPs and their live DVD, which is well worth getting if you're into their music. Kotoba... and Sore wa... are my favourite releases, just because they're a lot more consistent than the first album, but also have more variety. Some of their videos are also up on youtube, most linked to each other in the related videos box:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q7cbA5xxq5w

So I managed to track down Sore wa.. and listened to it, and it's so much better than Liberated Sound. I agree with what you said about it being more consistent. The drums are definitely key to the band's unique sound. However I can't seem to find Kotoba, is it an EP?

Lasek
Apr 22, 2006

thehustler posted:

You will like it. It is a prog cover of Walking In The Air by Aled Jones. And it's loving ace.

again Oceansize prove why they are my favorite band, thanks for the link!

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Beleg posted:

So I managed to track down Sore wa.. and listened to it, and it's so much better than Liberated Sound. I agree with what you said about it being more consistent. The drums are definitely key to the band's unique sound. However I can't seem to find Kotoba, is it an EP?

It's the one with the orange cover (full name in Japanese if you want to search for it is 言葉を用いて奏でる者は才能に在らず、ただの記憶に「過」ぎぬ ), I don't know if there are other versions but the one I have is 2 disc, the 2nd being a short documentary DVD of their US tour with a couple of live songs.

There are 2 songs from the new album on there, another that wasn't included, and the last track is just a bunch of noise and screaming. The only real difference in sound is the drums, so if you have the new album it might not be worth the cost of importing it, even if the one extra track is one of my favourites. I think I ordered it from Amazon.co.jp, along with the new album and DVD, which came to £40, before the £15 customs I was charged.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

thehustler posted:

This is loving awesome.

Happen to know of anyone that sounds like Oceansize (with or without the lyrics)?

Lasek
Apr 22, 2006

leonje posted:

This is loving awesome.

Happen to know of anyone that sounds like Oceansize (with or without the lyrics)?

The closest people have recommended to me is Aereogramme which is kind of but not really close. They're really unique.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Lord of Sword posted:

Té are one of my favourite bands, I've got all their albums/EPs and their live DVD, which is well worth getting if you're into their music. Kotoba... and Sore wa... are my favourite releases, just because they're a lot more consistent than the first album, but also have more variety. Some of their videos are also up on youtube, most linked to each other in the related videos box:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q7cbA5xxq5w

What song is in the video (like, which track/album specifically, there might be some translation discrepancies)? 5:12 in that video is really amazing, when they finally deviate from the same line of melody into a crazy freakout.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

windwaker posted:

What song is in the video (like, which track/album specifically, there might be some translation discrepancies)? 5:12 in that video is really amazing, when they finally deviate from the same line of melody into a crazy freakout.

'We promise with a view to hope, but the reason to accomplish what we promised would be fear,' track 9 from their first album.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
Caspian's getting some local support it seems. The Boston Globe included The Four Trees among the best local releases of the year.

quote:

Caspian, "The Four Trees" This Beverly outfit's all-instrumental debut album spoke volumes without saying a word. With this monumental, grandly eloquent follow-up to 2005's "You Are the Conductor" EP, Caspian made good on its vast promise by harnessing the staggering power and sweep of its epic, louder-than-God live performances.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/cd_reviews/articles/2007/12/28/sound_and_fury_local_releases_of_note/

I've not really seen much mention of the band in local press so I thought it was cool to see them listed.

They're playing on Sunday at the Middle East for the annual End of the World New Year's show. I can't wait, It'll be the 11th or 12th time I've seen them this year and everytime they've been phenomenal.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

pill for your ills posted:

There will be a new album from A Silver Mt. Zion this next year. It will be called "13 Blues For Thirteen Moons." Here is the link to the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718635

Let's all go see them in concert a thousand times more.

What a minute, did War Radio, God Bless Our Dead Marines and Four is Over Five get an album when I wasn't looking? I won't grumble too much, but I was looking forward to these three. Maybe throw in a new version of Iron Bridge To Thunder Bay too. Blind Blind Blind and 1,000,000 Died to Make This Sound just didn't grab me the way the ones I proposed did.

fnordcircle posted:

God Is an Astronaut
Definitely not an EITS rip-off to me, there's a bit more of a New Age music sound going here, others may disagree.

My two favorite songs by them are off of "All is Violent, All is Bright."

I have a friend who I introduced to God Is an Astronaut and he really liked If These Trees Could Talk when I played it for him, so maybe give that a go.

Hydrac7 posted:

Lately, I can't get enough of Rachel's. They play classical influenced post-rock although there isn't a lot of rock to it. Instead, it's a whole lot of strings, piano, and a little bit of percussion. I recommend Music for Egon Schiele.

I'm always down for some Rachel's (I like Handwriting the best) and find it's nice to mix in some Max Richter in the playlist. Try The Blue Notebook or Songs From Before and see if you agree.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Nav Omicron posted:

What a minute, did War Radio, God Bless Our Dead Marines and Four is Over Five get an album when I wasn't looking? I won't grumble too much, but I was looking forward to these three. Maybe throw in a new version of Iron Bridge To Thunder Bay too. Blind Blind Blind and 1,000,000 Died to Make This Sound just didn't grab me the way the ones I proposed did.

God Bless Our Dead Marines is off Horses in the Sky, and are you sure those songs might not be alternate titles to older songs? Godspeed and Constellation Records in general loves to do this.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Nav Omicron posted:

I'm always down for some Rachel's (I like Handwriting the best) and find it's nice to mix in some Max Richter in the playlist. Try The Blue Notebook or Songs From Before and see if you agree.

Love Max Richter. Failed my business law class a few years ago because I decided I would rather listen to him on my iPod than the lecture.

Mary Chain
Sep 5, 2006

by Ozma

Mary Chain fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 6, 2011

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

There's some good stuff on that list, but Jesus Christ that is some of the most god-awful music journalism I've read in a long time.

I was listening to NPR a few days ago, and one of their segue songs was a clip from An Accidental Memory in the case of Death by Eluvium, it blew my mind.

Thirdly, does anyone know anything about the new Mogwai album coming out this year? If it's going to more in the vein of Mr. Beast, I say bring it on.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 6, 2008

Zoot Horn Rollo
Nov 13, 2007
I saw a bozo under the sea
Oceansize always remind me of Aerogramme, but just nowhere near as good.

Came across some don't mess with texas and to be a high powered executive today. I enjoyed both bands.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Went to see "There Will be Blood Today" and the trailer for "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" had EITS' Your Hand in Mine as its background music. Maybe one day EITS will exist just to score movies.

Zoot Horn Rollo posted:

Oceansize always remind me of Aerogramme, but just nowhere near as good.

Came across some don't mess with texas and to be a high powered executive today. I enjoyed both bands.

I really cannot get enough Aereogramme. I will always regret never getting the chance to see them live.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anybody hear the new God Is An Astronaut track "No Return" yet? I saw it was one of the tracks of the week on The Silent Ballet. You can buy the 320kbps MP3 from them for $1, or just listen to the whole track by clicking that little play button.

It has some of the same sort of vibes of their older material, but something about it makes it sound different, like they're maturing. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm definitley liking it. A lot. I hope to see where they go with this.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

thehustler posted:

Holy poo poo. I wished they rocked that hard ALL the time!