Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.

Nikesh posted:

Is Battles post-rock? Math-rock? Whatever it is, it's what 65daysofstatic should have been.

65daysofstatic are just fine how they are, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Battles are pretty cool and they put on a hell of a live show but I can't help but think that that the 'Mirrored' sound they have now will probably get stale in a few years. I'm really curious as to what new tangents they'll try and explore.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

warzero. posted:

65daysofstatic are just fine how they are, thank you.

65daysofstatic (or any band) becoming like Battles would be the reason I stop listening to them.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!

Big Wreck posted:

Battles are pretty cool and they put on a hell of a live show but I can't help but think that that the 'Mirrored' sound they have now will probably get stale in a few years. I'm really curious as to what new tangents they'll try and explore.

Mirrored is like the sequel to Yellow Submarine but on (more) drugs. I have no idea how they're going to top it in the same genre (whatever it is).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

windwaker posted:

Mirrored is like the sequel to Yellow Submarine but on (more) drugs. I have no idea how they're going to top it in the same genre (whatever it is).

Just because an album has a challenging sound doesn't mean it's drug induced.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Bucket Joneses posted:

Yeah, but Battles probably is.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

I was mainly talking about the idea that they're in a box/room that's traveling through time.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Hmmm, that is an insightful observation windwaker especially considering that the album's 'being' or 'existence' only breathes in loops and repeating patterns within said box. It exists as a constant loop of thought and life which strikes me as being a similar idea that Douglas Hofstadter has used in several of his books when he tries to argue that patterns, loops and recursion are the constructs of our consciousness.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

actually now that i think about it post-rock is kind of gay and bland so idk

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that windwaker's new title is awesome and so is whoever bought it.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

Also "Radio Protector" is one of the coolest songs ever, so anybody bashin' on 65dos can just stuff it.

Anybody else listened to Epic45's Let Your Heart Be the Map? It's really minimal, but amazingly pleasant. Probably treads a little into ambient territory (they're on Make Mine Music along with July Skies and a bunch of other similar artists), but this is as an appropriate thread as any.

Incidentally, July Skies' The Weather Clock was finally just released.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

I like the TWDY cover but I'd really love a t-shirt of just this:

I don't know what else it could use. It's art.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

There is nothing you could add to that that wouldn't just take away from it.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Big Wreck posted:

Hmmm, that is an insightful observation windwaker especially considering that the album's 'being' or 'existence' only breathes in loops and repeating patterns within said box. It exists as a constant loop of thought and life which strikes me as being a similar idea that Douglas Hofstadter has used in several of his books when he tries to argue that patterns, loops and recursion are the constructs of our consciousness.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not because I thought the whole mirror box thing was really awesome and gave me something to think about that meshed with the music. :(

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 12, 2008

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

HamsterHuey posted:

Incidentally, July Skies' The Weather Clock was finally just released.

Thank Christ, it's finally here and I am itching to hear it.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Not really post-rock but I've been enjoying this at work.

Kinda Jesus/Mary Chain - Echo/Bunnyman...sorta

http://www.myspace.com/aarktica

http://www.aarktica.net/

I guess it's just the mood I've been in listening Eluvium and Hammock lately (http://www.myspace.com/hammockmusic)

Big Wreck fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 15, 2008

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

joelcamefalling posted:

Johnnytwentythree - JXXIII
Epic is the word you are looking for. Take some later day EITS, throw in some Mogwai dynamics and some long (7, 12, 15, 20 minute) songs which flow beautifully. Very highly recommended.

I'm seeing these guys with A Place To Bury Strangers this weekend. Thanks for the heads up; I am really digging their stuff. Hopefully, they will have vinyl at the show.

I was reading on a lot of blogs that A Place To Bury Strangers are notorious for their loudness like Mogwai. Is this something anyone else can vouch for? Do I need to purchase ear plugs prior to Saturday?

gargamale fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 15, 2008

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Most venues sell earplugs at the bar if you don't have a nicer pair.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I just got the new Pacific UV album. Their last LP was squarely in the Shoegaze camp, but they're a lot more post-rocky now. I haven't had a good sit-down with it, but it's really cool from what I've heard, sometimes reminding me of Maserati

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Just saw Explosions in the Sky tonight. Has to be one of the greatest experiences of my life.

This is in Australia, so having the chance to see those guys is kind of a big deal.

And I saw Battles a few weeks back (although i'd hardly call them post rock).

It's been a great month of music for me.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
just got my Mono DVD and All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone with my Envy pack, gonna watch and spin.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Spekkio posted:

Just saw Explosions in the Sky tonight. Has to be one of the greatest experiences of my life.

This is in Australia, so having the chance to see those guys is kind of a big deal.

I saw them in Sydney on Friday night. Awesome show. I'd listened to a bunch of their live stuff (archive.org, why are you so awesome) but the live experience was in a whole other world.

Now, if only Mono would come play.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I figured this would be worth bumping the thread over.

Caspian has a new track out. They're putting out a split 7" with Constants and if you preorder, mp3s of the record are made available to you right away. Both tracks are excellent but, Caspian fanboy that I am, I'd say their contribution to the split is better.

It's darker sounding than The Four Trees but, it's still distinctly Caspian. They've played a few new tracks the last couple of times I've seen them and it seems like this is the direction they're moving in. I like it, so should you.

Get it here:
http://www.radarrecordings.com/recordings.php

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

citizenlowell posted:

I figured this would be worth bumping the thread over.

Caspian has a new track out. They're putting out a split 7" with Constants and if you preorder, mp3s of the record are made available to you right away. Both tracks are excellent but, Caspian fanboy that I am, I'd say their contribution to the split is better.

It's darker sounding than The Four Trees but, it's still distinctly Caspian. They've played a few new tracks the last couple of times I've seen them and it seems like this is the direction they're moving in. I like it, so should you.

Get it here:
http://www.radarrecordings.com/recordings.php

I can only listen to the minute and a half long preview of it on their MySpace (here) because I'm spending what little money I have left on Nine Inch Nails' Ghost, but it's sounding pretty sweet.

Do they have a new release scheduled after this 7"? I'd love to hear more of them playing in this style.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Do they have a new release scheduled after this 7"? I'd love to hear more of them playing in this style.

Their website says that the song on the 7" will be included on a full release in some form in 2009. I hope they put out another single or EP in the meantime cause the single is a tease of what's to come.

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star
I asked in the recommendation thread and though I got some good recommendations I already had most of them. Basically I'm looking for something like post-rock with a folk twinge. Ive been listening to the new Agalloch EP "The White" a lot which is basically acoustic folky stuff with some post rock and ambient stuff thrown in and I'm really loving it. Thanks!

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

I asked in the recommendation thread and though I got some good recommendations I already had most of them. Basically I'm looking for something like post-rock with a folk twinge. Ive been listening to the new Agalloch EP "The White" a lot which is basically acoustic folky stuff with some post rock and ambient stuff thrown in and I'm really loving it. Thanks!

Yndi Halda in a flash. JohnnyTwentyThree as well, perhaps.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

Sparrows Swarm and Sing have that folky sound you're looking for I bet.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

Do Make Say Think

Olaf Oleeson
Nov 27, 2007
fuck your yankee blue jeans
Ok, so a few years ago I listened to a bit too much post-rock, and now I'm completely burnt out on it.
Can anybody recommend me some good original sounding post-rock (as in no mono/eits/mogwai/godspeed clones)?

I need something as fresh as 65dos was back when I first listened to them.

Anyone?

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Olaf Oleeson posted:

Ok, so a few years ago I listened to a bit too much post-rock, and now I'm completely burnt out on it.
Can anybody recommend me some good original sounding post-rock (as in no mono/eits/mogwai/godspeed clones)?

Anyone?

Stereolab, Do Make Say Think, Slint, Cul de Sac, Grails, Talk Talk

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Olaf Oleeson posted:

Anyone?

Do Make Say Think

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
65daysofstatic tour in the UK in April and have a new EP out.

https://www.65daysofstatic.com/wordpress for information

https://www.65daysofstatic.com/danceparties for a preview. Move your mouse around :)

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

thehustler posted:

65daysofstatic tour in the UK in April and have a new EP out.

https://www.65daysofstatic.com/wordpress for information

https://www.65daysofstatic.com/danceparties for a preview. Move your mouse around :)

Haha, I did like The Distant and Mechanized Glow.... I've never seen anything quite like that on the net before, either...not much stuff is fullscreen.

April 2008 (65 headline shows)
9th: Thekla, Bristol, England
10th: Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, England
11th: Indigo, London, England
12th: Cockpit, Leeds, England
13th: Concorde 2, Brighton, England
14th: Wulfrun Hall, Wolverhampton, England
15th: Academy 2, Manchester, England
16th: Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth, England
17th: La Maroquinerie, Paris, France
27th: Ironworks, Inverness, Scotland
29th: King Tuts, Glasgow, Scotland

gently caress yes. :dance:

edit - oh gently caress, The Thekla has everyone there, further edit after reading the release

Tuesday 1st April
Holy gently caress - m/holyfuck
Doors 7.30pm / £7 adv

Saturday 19th April
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - m/tedleo
Large Mound - m/largemound
Doors 7pm Curfew 10pm / £6.50 adv

Monday 21st April
¡Forward Russia! - m/forwardrussia
Doors 7pm Curfew 10pm / £7.50 ad

Ash.W fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 7, 2008

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Olaf Oleeson posted:

Anyone?

Not many people have heard or ever mention Té, but they're one of my favourite post-rock bands, and about as far from the GYBE/EitS style as you can get. Some of their songs are up on their myspace page, Avarice... being my favourite song of their's:

http://www.myspace.com/tejapanese

Mary Chain
Sep 5, 2006

by Ozma

Mary Chain fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 6, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lord of Sword posted:

Not many people have heard or ever mention Té, but they're one of my favourite post-rock bands, and about as far from the GYBE/EitS style as you can get. Some of their songs are up on their myspace page, Avarice... being my favourite song of their's:

http://www.myspace.com/tejapanese

I mentioned them a couple of pages back, just got into them and I really like them. Only heard "Sore Wa.." though so I'm trying to track down their other stuff, it's very hard to search for a band named Te'. Now that I know the english album names it should probably be easier, though.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Sparrows Swarm and Sing have that folky sound you're looking for I bet.

Came in here to post these guys.

drat good thread, I've been looking to find new stuff, too.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I caught Thee Silver Mount Zion in Montreal last night and it was loving amazing. The new material is brilliant and they debuted a couple new songs that aren't on the new album. Efrim is rocking a new guitar/amp setup and Sebastien has switched out the electric bass for another guitar. Anemones opened and were quite good.

Setlist:
13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
Black Waters Blowed/Engine Broke Blues
Metal Bird
BlindBlindBlind
1,000,000 Died To Make This Sound
There Is a Light

Microphones in the Trees

I believe they played a second encore song as well but I had to leave in order to catch the last subway. Either way, I certainly didn't feel cheated by the length of the show, which was close to 2 hours.

edit: The second encore was "Hang on to Each Other"

edit2: VVVV I have never had any Constellation or Temporary Residence release warp on me. Perhaps the records are not being stored properly (on top of each other)? VVVV

Bliggers- fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
Do any of you people with vinyl copies of Godspeed's 'Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven' notice any warping of the records?

My first purchase had significant warping on the first disc. I returned it, and got the second (and last) copy, and there's warping second disc.

I suppose it's possible the batch my record store received were just ruined.

Coincidentally, I also ordered three EITS records and two Mono records from auralexploits. Those all arrived with warped discs as well.

I'm starting to think the genre is just cursed for me. It's as if there's a force in the universe attempting to prevent me from enjoying post-rock vinyls. There's nothing more loving frustrating that putting a record on the turntable for the first time and realizing its goddamned warped.

1mpper fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 26, 2008