Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Easily their best work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Chrysalism is a loving riot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been going back and listening to the first few MONO albums, first time I've done so in probably over 10 years. Goddamn Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky etc holds up phenomenally well. "Lost Snow" is aces.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Driving home from a GY!BE concert right now and god drat, they crushed it. The new songs are extremely good live.

Anthem for no State is going to be stuck in my head for weeks now, it's so gorgeous.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I like how GY!BE added new shows in 2018... in Scandinavia. The last two shows in Chicago sold out before I was even aware. :cry:

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 7, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this thread turned 10 last week!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/monoofjapan/status/928098112874229760

I have never seen a more wholesome picture in my life

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/monoofjapan/status/928098112874229760

I have never seen a more wholesome picture in my life

They're in Perth this Sunday! Looking forward to it.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

WaryWarren posted:

I like how GY!BE added new shows in 2018... in Scandinavia. The last two shows in Chicago sold out before I was even aware. :cry:

they are playing at the metro on 3/18 & 19. lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Godspeed's playing the Day for Night festival next month in Houston which I'm going to, so I'm gonna try to see them there, but the lineup's loving stacked and I've already seen them twice before, so if there's a scheduling conflict with someone I haven't seen before, I'll skip them.

Also on this list is The Album Leaf who I saw in 2012 with Tycho, but that show ruled so I'd love to see him again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That is one hell of a lineup :stare:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

precision posted:

That is one hell of a lineup :stare:

Yeah, holy poo poo. I am into like 3/4 of those bands and the other 1/4 I haven't really heard of, usually the numbers are reversed..

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'll be at Mogwai tonight rocking hard. I quite like the new album so I'm going to have a lot of fun. :dance:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'll be at Mogwai tonight rocking hard. I quite like the new album so I'm going to have a lot of fun. :dance:
I saw them in Detroit on Sunday, it was a really neato show.

(Also saw Slowdive, and will be seeing Do Make Say Think on Sunday, so it's a hell of a time for me right now)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I saw Mogwai at the San Francisco show just before Thanksgiving. It was a real good show.

Christmas Steps live is goddamned amazing.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The Mogwai Show

Crossing the Road Material
Friend of the Night
Party in the Dark
Cody
Rano Pano
Battered at a Scramble
Killing All the Flies
Don't Believe the Fife
I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
Every Country's Sun
Mogwai Fear Satan
Old Poisons

Remurdered
We're No Here

Friend of the Night/Party in the Dark and Remurdered/We're No Here were the highlights for me. It felt like they would build momentum with a hard song, and then kill it with a slower one, alternating back and forth, but it was decent enough. The crowd was kind of bored though - the same issue with EitS when I saw them: four or five people not giving a gently caress and being super loud and laughing and talking and stuff during songs. Ah well, it was still a solid night.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Here's some post-rock from one of the All Them Witches guys:

https://listentowoodsplitter.bandcamp.com

Kinda disappointing tbh, I really like some of the instrumental noodling ATW does but this is pretty generic

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Yasunori Takada just left mono "for personal reasons". Rough times, I hope this isn't the end of the line for a band I love so much.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I hope everything is ok with Yasunori and that this doesn't mean the end of Mono. They're one of those bands that I just kind of assumed would be around forever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Yasunori Takada just left mono "for personal reasons". Rough times, I hope this isn't the end of the line for a band I love so much.
Oh no :smith: He's been with them since they formed almost 20 years ago, huh?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sigur Ros is about to livestream what they're calling their "final" show

I hope this just means they're taking a break after a long touring cycle to work on new material and not breaking up, but who the hell knows? :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I hope this just means they're taking a break after a long touring cycle to work on new material and not breaking up, but who the hell knows? :ohdear:

Literally read this just in time to start watching. Awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I swear to god, it's been over a decade since I first heard Untitled 8 (Popplagið) and it still sends shivers down my spine every single goddamn time I hear it.

I'm not exaggerating even a little when I say it's one of the best pieces of music ever recorded in any genre.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I swear to god, it's been over a decade since I first heard Untitled 8 (Popplagið) and it still sends shivers down my spine every single goddamn time I hear it.

I'm not exaggerating even a little when I say it's one of the best pieces of music ever recorded in any genre.

I agree and I don’t even like any Sigur Ros albums except for Takk

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The "19 months" part makes it sound like it's just the last show of the tour. If this were a farewell forever concert it would have been a much bigger deal. Fear not.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, that pretty clearly reads as the last show of their year and change touring rather than their last show ever to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Right, I only mentioned that as a possibility because of the "The future is unwritten, so be present." part. Although that could mean anything.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Finally got around to listening to Every Country's Sun and, while I can see why some people might be kinda down on it (it's nothing really groundbreaking for them) I personally really like it. It's just a good, solid, respectable chunk of good ol Mogwai sounds.

Brain Sweeties is a jam, 20 Size is a jam, and the entire last third or so of the album, like everything from Don't Believe the Fife through the end, are mega jams. That poo poo really kicks into high gear. And man, what a hell of a bombastic closer the title track is.

My favorite of theirs since - well, Atomic owned really hard all the way through, but aside from Atomic, I think the last thing they did that I liked as much as Every Country's Sun is Hardcore Will Never Die. I liked ECS way more than I thought I would from what I saw people say about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I listened to ECS once when it came out and it was okay I guess but I completely forgot about it. When I was making my end of the year favorite albums list, Do Make Say Think's new one was on there but I legitimately forgot Mogwai had even released a new album in 2017. That's how much of an impression it left on me.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

SpruceZeus posted:

Finally got around to listening to Every Country's Sun and, while I can see why some people might be kinda down on it (it's nothing really groundbreaking for them) I personally really like it. It's just a good, solid, respectable chunk of good ol Mogwai sounds.

Brain Sweeties is a jam, 20 Size is a jam, and the entire last third or so of the album, like everything from Don't Believe the Fife through the end, are mega jams. That poo poo really kicks into high gear. And man, what a hell of a bombastic closer the title track is.
That's kinda how I ended up feeling about it. The first... third to half of the album lulled me to sleep a bit, but from Don't Believe the Fife 'til the end, it's hella good. It also sounded great live, fwiw.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I kinda like how it starts out slow but just continuously ramps up. I've only listened to it a couple times so far, it makes sense that the more bombastic stuff would be what stuck out the most at first blush. I feel like the quieter stuff might well grow on me too given time. And you know, it wouldn't really be Mogwai without that quiet/loud contrast.

e: also been listening to a lot of their older stuff, like pre-Mr. Beast, that I am a bit less familiar lately and really enjoying it. Especially Rock Action. I am gonna have to go back and listen to Young Team again too if only because Mogwai Fear Satan blew me away so much that I ended up just listening to it like ten times and completely forgetting what the entire rest of the album was like.

but yeah Rock Action I think is up there with my other faves from them now it's so good

e2: okay yeah Young Team definitely owns also

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 7, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every Country's Sun is easily tied with Mr. Beast for best Mogwai album for me

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Every Country's Sun is very much Rave Tapes 2.0 for me, but there was no equivalent to The Lord Is Out Of Control, so Rave Tapes might edge out on top for me.

SpruceZeus posted:

I kinda like how it starts out slow but just continuously ramps up. I've only listened to it a couple times so far, it makes sense that the more bombastic stuff would be what stuck out the most at first blush. I feel like the quieter stuff might well grow on me too given time. And you know, it wouldn't really be Mogwai without that quiet/loud contrast.

e: also been listening to a lot of their older stuff, like pre-Mr. Beast, that I am a bit less familiar lately and really enjoying it. Especially Rock Action. I am gonna have to go back and listen to Young Team again too if only because Mogwai Fear Satan blew me away so much that I ended up just listening to it like ten times and completely forgetting what the entire rest of the album was like.

but yeah Rock Action I think is up there with my other faves from them now it's so good

e2: okay yeah Young Team definitely owns also

You should do a deep dive on CODY.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Jehde posted:

Every Country's Sun is very much Rave Tapes 2.0 for me, but there was no equivalent to The Lord Is Out Of Control, so Rave Tapes might edge out on top for me.

You should do a deep dive on CODY.

Seconded. CODY is a deep cut

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I do like it but I like Young Team and Rock Action more vOv

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I only just the other day found out that Battles put out a new album... like three years ago...

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Kids Will Be Skeletons... :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So uhhhhhhh, I really loving wish I could go to Denmark in April :staredog:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It always makes me so sad that since Terrastock died nobody else has really taken up the torch of a big post-rock festival. Terrastock was more skewed towards stoner/psych rock but still.

edit: Look on these lineups and despair:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrastock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A big post rock festival is a tough proposition because people tend to fall asleep after the first three bands