Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Post-Doom is a thing made up by Spotify to tell me I’ve been listening to it every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I think it's kind of interesting as far as genres go because it's a term popularized by a critic to describe Bark Psychosis' album Hex and over the next decade grew into a catch-all for different flavors of heavily cross-pollinated experimental rock and applied to a lot of albums retroactively. No one can agree on exactly what it is because unlike most genres it didn't grow out of a scene and there's no distinct aesthetic to the music. As far as the early acts go, Talk Talk borrowed from jazz rock, Tortoise took more from krautrock, Slint used elements of post-hardcore and the three sound nothing alike. I think Explosions in the Sky blowing up (heh) in the mid 2000s is when the indie rock influenced style kind of codified the genre to the public at large and it became a distinctive thing people could latch on to instead of a bunch of things mashed together. The 90s definition of the term carries on though and artists who were influenced by the pioneers have expanded the sound in their own ways. So now there are groups of artists who adhere to very different sets of aesthetic and structural conventions and all are still considered the same genre. I don't know what point I'm trying to make here so can I just get a double cheeseburger and a chocolate frosty please, thank you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No i agree. There is no discernible reason that Explosions in the Sky and This Will Destroy You be considered the same kind of music, but at the same time I'm extremely grateful for the 5 years i was in college because anytime someone posted new jams on a webcomic forums under the heading "INSAEN POST ROK" I knew i was in for a treat.

The problem is that NOW, on Youtube or Spotify, the genre has umbrella'd literally 1,000s of bands that sound nothing alike. It's like saying you're into that new Electronic DJ.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
EITS, TWDY and GYBE are certainly all closer to each other than they are to something like Tortoise.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s wild that I would consider this my favorite genre of music and I have never heard of like 5 of these bands you other dudes are talking about. I thought I was OG because I knew about Slint lmao

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s wild that I would consider this my favorite genre of music and I have never heard of like 5 of these bands you other dudes are talking about. I thought I was OG because I knew about Slint lmao

Bark Psychosis' Codename: Dustsucker is something you need to listen to right now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dont worry I’m already downloading these albums and I have a huge jar of chronic we gucci

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

EITS, TWDY and GYBE are certainly all closer to each other than they are to something like Tortoise.

TWDY, especially Tunnel Blanket and beyond, get into more experimental territory I'd say. Not as much as later Tarantel or Liars but very different to the sort of stagnant EITS-alikes

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I've never even heard of Slint. Listening now, and teenage me would have been all over that if I'd have known about them in the nineties.

It's obviously different to EITS and GYBE but yeah, I get it. I mean, I really like it whatever you call it.

The new Mogwai album - whoever said perfectly acceptable Mogwai was right. I accept it into the Mogwai fold; it is neither their best nor worst offering.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Major Ryan posted:

I've never even heard of Slint. Listening now, and teenage me would have been all over that if I'd have known about them in the nineties.

It's obviously different to EITS and GYBE but yeah, I get it. I mean, I really like it whatever you call it.

The new Mogwai album - whoever said perfectly acceptable Mogwai was right. I accept it into the Mogwai fold; it is neither their best nor worst offering.

So if you had to pick number one WORST Mogwai offering, what would it be?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

hatelull posted:

The Hawk is Howling is easily their worst proper album imo

It feels kind of bloated and uninspired, especially coming after the amazing Mr. Beast

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

The Hawk is Howling is easily their worst proper album imo

It feels kind of bloated and uninspired, especially coming after the amazing Mr. Beast

That might be the one I listen to the least, although "Batcat" was a pretty good single and "Scotland's Shame" was a scorcher if I remember.

I found Every Country's Sun to be sort of middling after Rave Tapes but it is what it is.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Easily Rock Action for me. There’s a few good tracks on that album but I could easily forget it and not be sad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't remember a single note of Every Country's Sun thinking about it now, so that might be it for me :v:

Rock Action has one of my favorite Mogwai songs on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2LYuRzF-c8

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I left my Mr Beast hoodie on a train after a 65dos gig. Gutted.

It’s my favourite too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehustler posted:

I left my Mr Beast hoodie on a train after a 65dos gig. Gutted.

It’s my favourite too.
I tried to order a shirt from the ATLC live stream merch desk thing but it said they wouldn't ship to the US :smith:

I used to have a Rave Tapes shirt that I outgrew, and a block letters logo shirt that I got at a gig of theirs in like 2009 before that. I think I wore that one out from wearing it so much.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Come on Die Young is probably the GOAT for me, but the run of Rock Action through Mr. Beast is just solid all the way through.

Their albums might be hit or miss from release to release after that, but I will always see them live when possible.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Happy Songs For Happy People has been my favourite ever since it came out, though Mr. Beast came drat close

"Kids Will Be Skeletons" is the most glorious track they've ever done I think

EP+6 is also strong as gently caress, I think I prefer it to CODY. "Stanley Kubrick" is another all timer

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Simone Magus posted:

Happy Songs For Happy People has been my favourite ever since it came out, though Mr. Beast came drat close

"Kids Will Be Skeletons" is the most glorious track they've ever done I think

EP+6 is also strong as gently caress, I think I prefer it to CODY. "Stanley Kubrick" is another all timer
I remember listening to Happy Songs For Happy People through headphones on my Discman a few months after Hurricane Katrina while I was displaced from home. It was right when I was first getting into post-rock (I heard Mogwai's first few albums, EITS' first few albums and GY!BE's first few albums all around the same time) and I remember being confused and excited by what I was hearing. It was a completely new and monumental musical experience for me, which was a welcome distraction from what was going on around me at the time.

That album still gives me goosebumps 15+ years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQRwNz5wGI

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Beast is what got me in to it, Happy Songs is what kept me deep in it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My appreciation for Mogwai can be kind of tracked by some of the dumb videos I uploaded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBUJOTrrnRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RM-QU5sd0U

E: Also Travel is Dangerous was a powerful track at the time.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 10, 2021

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

E: Quote is not edit

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

hatelull posted:

Worst is tough because nothing’s “bad”, but I much prefer their more recent albums to the more rock inspired work. Young Team does not do much for me, but I feel really bad labelling it THE WORST.

The Les Revenants soundtrack might be my favourite thing they’ve done though, that really gives me chills and the first time I listened to it I _really_ got hit by it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I made a spotify playlist of my favorite Mogwai tunes, but tbh I kinda stopped listening before Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will, so only Rano Pano from that is on there and nothing from Rave Tapes or Every Country’s Sun and only Pat Stains from the new one. https://open.spotify.com/user/2256l4amjzhdhxyrlvea4dk5i/playlist/3tDSzREgwBgYn6yUnGPI4W?si=sfBQ1SHeQhWPxp4LFMOz5g

Oh and spotify didn’t have one of the best Mogwai songs so this would be on there too https://youtu.be/YYpimokjfYw

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 10, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bust Rodd posted:

Wait have you not heard Talk Talk’s Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock? Or TNT by Tortoise, or Tarantel’s From Bone to Satellite? Those are all classics and u should definitely get them. And you probably know about Mono and Do Make Say Think, but You Are There seems like it would very much be your poo poo, and like Other Truths, & Yet & Yet and You, You’re a History in Rust by Do Make Say Think are brillliant.

I’ve been listening to The Six Parts Seven, Gregor Samsa, Grails and 1 Mile North, and I haven’t listened to any of this in years, it still rules

These 1 Mile North albums are really incredible, I never really see people mention them either but I guess it’s not like quiet loud post rock, and they’re almost ambient, or they just don’t use drums.
Both this album and Minor Shadows are great https://youtu.be/B7ZP-Vfreeo

imhotep fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 10, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do Make Say Think are probably the post rock albums I have grown the most with and developed the closest bond with. Like EITS and 65DOS and GS!YBE are all bands I sort of immediately fell in love with, but DMST is a band where I just found myself throwing on records whenever and over the last decade I’ve spent some of my best evenings and mornings of my life vibing with them.

Fredericia is probably my favorite song of there’s, it positively transports me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had one of those CD player alarm clocks towards the end of high school and I had this song set as my alarm for a while. It actually made me happy to wake up for school:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6XIKCmZw44

Another alarm tune was this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhp1NFrmIMc

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I got to see Do Make Say Think once, around 2007. It was fantastic.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Not exactly post-rock but I figure people in here probably also listen to them; Arab Strap have a new record out after a 16 year hiatus, and it's incredibly good, they haven't missed a step. Even the vocals sound exactly the same!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

Not exactly post-rock but I figure people in here probably also listen to them; Arab Strap have a new record out after a 16 year hiatus, and it's incredibly good, they haven't missed a step. Even the vocals sound exactly the same!

Seconding this. I've been playing it through a couple of times per day since release. Strong record.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a conundrum of Mogwai fandom. I own Central Belters, which I feel is a perfect compilation of Young Team to Rave Tapes. But now, I thoroughly enjoy As the Love Continues, and would like to get some of it on vinyl to spin, but also I still like Every Country's Sun a fair bit as well, and it would feel wrong to get one and not the other... I guess I'll have to wait for the Outer Belters compilation. :(

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Looks like GYBE is debuting their new album tonight: https://sun-13.com/2021/03/12/godspeed-you-black-emperor-announces-full-album-broadcast/

edit: stream link here: https://suoniperilpopolo.org/en/events/2021-03-27-g_d-s-pee-at-states-end

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I hope someone is recording this, it's pretty cool so far.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Glacier would sound better with some lap steel.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That was a good show.

I hadn't thoroughly enjoyed GY!BE stuff like that in a while, and the 16mm film presentation was great too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww man, I missed it :smith:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
If you search the band's name on youtube and sort by upload date you'll find plenty of people who uploaded it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well that sounded/looked great! :swoon:

With the visuals, it felt closer to being at one of their shows, except it wasn't quite the same since I wasn't there in person watching the band perform. I look forward to the day when I can see them live again. It's been a few years.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
here's a direct link to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT6J1QyMnPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

:sickos:

It's funny, the first two reunion albums didn't really impress me and I listen to them even less than I listen to Yanqui UXO, but man Luciferian Towers is a straight banger, almost as good as LYSFLATH